Updated Lineup

Grant Napear today said he thinks (or guesses) opening day Kings starting lineup will be:

Evans
Udrih
Dalembert
Garcia
Landry

I'm a bit surprised he has Garcia at SF over Greene and Casspi since that shortens Kings already thin backcourt rotation even more.
Id say grant napear loses this thread. That my least favorite starting line up that ive seen thus far.

That just means that Grant wants Antoine Wright to get minutes. Gross. Listen to this jerk.

Wright said he hopes to provide some leadership and toughness off the bench for the Kings. Last season, he averaged 6.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 67 games for Toronto.

"We have a lot of talented guys at the wing position," Wright said. "The thing that separates me is my ability to defend and be a gritty player. I think I bring a different dynamic to our team (off the bench)."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/24/2911691/kings-sfdyfd-fdfyyf-dyfd-fydfdyf.html#ixzz0v1vODqPl

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah I'll actually be mad if Grant's starting lineup comes true. Stack up promising youth all over the roster and then basically start Tyreke and the 4 oldest options you have at every other positon, including a trio at SG, SF, PF that can't defend or rebound their positons. Of course Grant is the idiot who's been whooping about how good our Kings players have been for years now, so guess its no surprise that he would want to keep as many of the soft undersized for their position vets as possible out there in the starting lineup. That, as we have learned from Grant and his pint sized partner, always works.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I wouldn't. I think he is closer to guessing the coach's starters than the rest of us. And it wouldn't bother me at all. Let the newcomers prove they deserve minutes and starts.
The problem with Grant's lineup (in addition to what's been said) is that we currently have a size advantage at every position, and we'd give it away with Grant's lineup. It's like trying to put together a group of munchkins. Then, you've got a backup logjam at SF again.

After he make his pronouncement on probable starting lineup, Grant went on to say that it could change once season starts at any point and that strong bench backups would no doubt play a lot of big minutes.

Right, but hes still WAYYY off on the starting line up. Id bet money that the starting line up isnt what he suggests. Its not feasible that both Casspi AND Greene come off the bench. Nope, sorry.

Because Cousins doesn't have the stamina to play starter's minutes for 80 games. After seeing how Omri fell off last season, and knowing that the transition to the pro game is rough, especially for a rookie, I'd like to see the staff ease Cousins into a starting role over the course of the season. The Lakers didn't really play Bynum at all in his first year because of that rough transition. It's not uncommon to see a rookie big man brought along slowly in his first year. He only played 23.5 minutes per game in less than 40 games last year. Don't want to burn him out and have him limited later in the season. We have the luxury of bringing him off the bench, and that's what I think we should do, at least for the first part of the season.

Also, IF we do plan on moving Dally, then we'll want to showcase him a bit before the deadline.
Actually starting him can help with his stamina. The more he sits on the bench the fatter he'll get. Plus, Evans did great starting last year so why the heck can't we start Cousins? We have nothing to lose. When you draft a guy at #5 and you just came off a horrible year, you better start you pick or the GM really screwed up. I remember how I liked Gerald Wallace for so long but he never got a chance to start so he never really developed in Sacto. Once he went to Bobcats he got to start and blossomed.

We are not contenders. However, we need to 'contend' if we hope to win 35 games or more.

This is not a 'developmental league'. This is the 'big show'. We need to put our best team on the court. Dalembert is a good center, an experienced starter and he is our best player at the center position. Landry is our best power forward although his advantage over Thompson is not as great. Omri and Donte are close in what they offer. The one that has the best camp and practice games should get the edge in minutes and starts. The threesome of Evans, Udrih and Garcia share the game winning minutes at the guards positions. Someone expressed the desire to see how well Tyreke and Cousins mesh on the court. I think we all do. However, I think it most important to see how the team we field plays together and let the chips work their way in as best they can. Let's go win games.
Landry seems to have a lot of fans on this board. I'm surprised especially with the statement "Landry is our best PF". To me a guy who cannot rebound and play interior defense is not even a PF. If all he can do is score then he should play SF.

Id say grant napear loses this thread. That my least favorite starting line up that ive seen thus far.
I agree. That lineup is a joke. It won't happen and if it does then PW will lose his job at the end of the season because he would have failed to win games and developed the young guys with highest potential. This lineup looks like GS Warriors lineup.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Actually starting him can help with his stamina. The more he sits on the bench the fatter he'll get. Plus, Evans did great starting last year so why the heck can't we start Cousins? We have nothing to lose. When you draft a guy at #5 and you just came off a horrible year, you better start you pick or the GM really screwed up. I remember how I liked Gerald Wallace for so long but he never got a chance to start so he never really developed in Sacto. Once he went to Bobcats he got to start and blossomed.
Really? So playing 20 minutes as a starter would help his stamina better than playing 30 minutes off the bench? I didn't know starting the game made that big a difference. ;)

Some of y'all are getting too hung up on the starting thing. He will play big minutes barring foul problems or injury. Don't worry about minutes. The starting team is usually your best 5 as a team, and often that includes the vets when your team has a lot of young players (to maintain cohesion on the floor or keep certain skills in the starting 5). I think some are forgetting this.

I don't think a number 5 pick not starting at the first game of the season sinks his chances at getting Rookie of the Year or anything.

And there is also a big difference in circumstances between Cousins and Wallace - team strengths, players ahead of them in the rotation, and team goals. Not even close. And again, it isn't starting, it's the PT. Are you saying Manu isn't a good player because he doesn't start? Or that he never gets a chance to hone his skills? Are you REALLY that hung up on the starting position?

Entity

Hall of Famer
I would like to see the game in practice of

Evans
Garcia
Greene
landry
Dalembert

vs.

Beno
Wright
Casspi
Thompson
Cousins

I think that 2nd unit could win 15-20 games during the season lol

Landry seems to have a lot of fans on this board. I'm surprised especially with the statement "Landry is our best PF". To me a guy who cannot rebound and play interior defense is not even a PF. If all he can do is score then he should play SF.
Landry WAS(maybe)our best PF last year...but not now. Either one of JT, Dalembert or DMC would probably eat his little 6'7 body for lunch, and spit the bones out to gnaw on before dinner. Now...dont get me wrong, I like Mandry, but I think he is Kenny Thomas 2.0 in alot of ways(at least early career K9)with a bit more heart though. But if you want to compete in this league now you can't be starting a 6'7 PF. I think the lineup by season's end should be:

Evans
Garcia
Greene
Dalembert
DMC

Really? So playing 20 minutes as a starter would help his stamina better than playing 30 minutes off the bench? I didn't know starting the game made that big a difference. ;)

Some of y'all are getting too hung up on the starting thing. He will play big minutes barring foul problems or injury. Don't worry about minutes. The starting team is usually your best 5 as a team, and often that includes the vets when your team has a lot of young players (to maintain cohesion on the floor or keep certain skills in the starting 5). I think some are forgetting this.

I don't think a number 5 pick not starting at the first game of the season sinks his chances at getting Rookie of the Year or anything.

And there is also a big difference in circumstances between Cousins and Wallace - team strengths, players ahead of them in the rotation, and team goals. Not even close. And again, it isn't starting, it's the PT. Are you saying Manu isn't a good player because he doesn't start? Or that he never gets a chance to hone his skills? Are you REALLY that hung up on the starting position?
When your vets are kicking arse you start them but when they are horrible year in and year out you need to make a change. If fans were really excited when we drafted Cousins for a reason. They saw hope and starting your "Hope" is a good way to go for an organization. I don't think the fans can stand the same old vets starting and getting the same old results-losing. You are right about starting your best players because it sets the tone for the game. I don't buy the "Vet" argument especially when they haven't proven to be winners. Wins bring more cohesion to a team than "Vets". No more smurf ball! We got to go big for a change and set the tone that we're going to play physical ball and pound the paint and the glass.

Landry WAS(maybe)our best PF last year...but not now. Either one of JT, Dalembert or DMC would probably eat his little 6'7 body for lunch, and spit the bones out to gnaw on before dinner. Now...dont get me wrong, I like Mandry, but I think he is Kenny Thomas 2.0 in alot of ways(at least early career K9)with a bit more heart though. But if you want to compete in this league now you can't be starting a 6'7 PF. I think the lineup by season's end should be:

Evans
Garcia
Greene
Dalembert
DMC
This is probably the strongest lineup for defending the board and paint
People need to stop looking at what Landry is listed at. Those are false numbers. He looks puny out there like Kenny Thomas. I thought we're done with the tweener, K9 experiments. Time to move on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When your vets are kicking arse you start them but when they are horrible year in and year out you need to make a change. If fans were really excited when we drafted Cousins for a reason. They saw hope and starting your "Hope" is a good way to go for an organization. I don't think the fans can stand the same old vets starting and getting the same old results-losing.
Minor point of clarification...We don't have the same old vets. Most of the veterans people had been whining about the past couple of years have moved on.

Having said that, I'm in no hurry to see a starting lineup of the most tenured players on the team. I'd like to see it mixed up and I'm almost willing to bet that's exactly what Coach Westphal will be doing. He's got a lot of toys in the box to work with.

As far as Cousins starting, I don't think he will for the simple reason I think, as mentioned above, he has to work on his conditioning and stamina. And I think we can afford to let him get his toe in the water first, since we're not in desperate and immediate need for him to start right out of the gate.

I've got a lot of faith in our coaching staff and I think they'll be doing a lot of work to keep the players getting adequate minutes wihile keeping fresh legs available. I've seen that before and it can win us at least a handful of games if done properly...

By midseason, I suspect we'll start to see shorter rotations and more consistency in the starting lineups, and that's just fine by me.

I was reading all the posts with interest but must say that it doesnt really matter who will start..the strongest performance of our young guys will define the starting 5 during the first 15ยด-20games.

Currently beside of Reke all positions are open.
I am actually quite happy we are all having these discussions since it means in reality that we have beside of our "starters" a good and very solid bench that will be able to jump in when needed.

I really see the whole situatuin very relaxed and just hope that all of our guys will be healthy for the season opener.

!GO KINGS!

How many times have we heard... it matters less who starts, than who finishes. Obviously, our one legit star and most likely a host of seasoned vets (Landry, Beno, Dalembert, Garcia) will start or at least be on the floor at crunch time. Depending on matchups from time-to-time the likes of DMC, Casspi, Donte, JT will have their moments starting or finishing games. Let's GO KINGS!! I'm ready for a great (or at least exciting!) 2010-11 season.

Evans
Garcia
Greene
Dalembert
DMC
1.Landry is not 6'7. He is an honest 6'9, still a bit undersized for a PF, but not Barkley status.

2. I would love to see Dalembert (or JT right now) eat Landry for lunch. Dalembert's shotblocking and pretty good rebounding are nice, but Landry is definitely the better player. He is an extremely smart player (Dally has been known to do some bonehead things), can score inside and out, plays with the hustle, toughness, and intensity that we are looking for, and can at least hold his own on man defense. That's just comparing the two players, but when you try and move Dalembert out of position to PF, there is just no reason why he is the better choice over Landry.

Im pretty surprised that anyone would be down on Landry. I think hes awesome. I also think that we have a loaded front court and that what Landry brings to the table is best served off of the bench. If our bench is Dalembert, Landry, Casspi, Wright, Beno...we might have the best bench in the league.

1.Landry is not 6'7. He is an honest 6'9, still a bit undersized for a PF, but not Barkley status.

2. I would love to see Dalembert (or JT right now) eat Landry for lunch. Dalembert's shotblocking and pretty good rebounding are nice, but Landry is definitely the better player. He is an extremely smart player (Dally has been known to do some bonehead things), can score inside and out, plays with the hustle, toughness, and intensity that we are looking for, and can at least hold his own on man defense. That's just comparing the two players, but when you try and move Dalembert out of position to PF, there is just no reason why he is the better choice over Landry.
I agree with you that Landry is a very good and smart player. But even Dally at the PF position (next to Cousins) provides some huge benefits over Landry. The rebounding rate is about double. The shot blocking doesn't even compare. We've probably had this discussion before, but having a serious shot blocker has a huge impact on the game. Just bends the whole game. Landry is not a bad defender, but he's not a shot blocker. Dally is an elite one. I know it's unorthodox, but I remain very intrigued about a Cousins/Dally front line. I think he can guard PFs, especially within the team that would be around him.

Again, the main advantage of a Cous/Dally frontline is just monster interior D. Plain and simple. You just won't get pushed around, and you have a couple of big swatters back there, one of them being elite.

I agree with you that Landry is a very good and smart player. But even Dally at the PF position (next to Cousins) provides some huge benefits over Landry. The rebounding rate is about double. The shot blocking doesn't even compare. We've probably had this discussion before, but having a serious shot blocker has a huge impact on the game. Just bends the whole game. Landry is not a bad defender, but he's not a shot blocker. Dally is an elite one. I know it's unorthodox, but I remain very intrigued about a Cousins/Dally front line. I think he can guard PFs, especially within the team that would be around him.

Again, the main advantage of a Cous/Dally frontline is just monster interior D. Plain and simple. You just won't get pushed around, and you have a couple of big swatters back there, one of them being elite.
Ok, I understand what you are trying to say, but the rebounding rate is not doubled nor would Dally's shotblocking be used to its fullest. Dally would not get the same amount of rebounds he averages as he would usually play with a PF with much lesser rebounding ability than Cousins and the difference in rebounding numbers between just Landry and Dalembert would not be that great with both being at PF. Now onto his shotblocking: Dalembert is a basket protector and so he needs to stay basically right underneath the basket and block shots. Dally does not have the agility or quickness of other great shotblocking PFs. Against power forwards, he will have to move out to AT LEAST the elbow and actually often in the modern NBA, all the way out to the 3 point line. This isn't even mentioning that his 1 on 1 D against PFs would be much worse than Landry's.

Last edited:
Best 5

Looks like maybe this thread evolved to which group of 5 Kings would make the best team.
It comes down to what you believe is most important to success.
Some believe that Veteran presence is key. Not to beat a dead horse but the most experienced guys we have haven't shown ability to win so I discount value of veteran experience for our team altogether. Time for change.

Some believe scoring is most important so Landry should start. Again we did fine scoring last year but people always outscore us so we always lose.

Some believe size is very important and I would agree there is some truth to that. The Lakers starting lineup is the biggest in the league. Ron Artest at 260 lbs at SF, Pau at 7' and 250 lbs is as long as you can get for PF. Bynum at 7' and 285 lbs is a load. They dominate the boards and shotblocking and win big for a reason.

I think that scoring is what a lot of teams in the NBA can do but few are really solid on defense.

With Dally and Cousins we have that balance of defense and scoring with Lakers size.
At 6'11" and 250 lbs Dally is really PF size rather than Center and Cousins is definitely Center size. I don't see why Dally and Cousins wouldn't make the best combo of size, defense and scoring for us.
So best 5 are:
Evans, Garcia/Beno, Donte, Dally, Cousins.
I believe that Beno is more consistent than Garcia on offense but Garcia is better on defense so it's a draw in my book. I just believe that defense is really important and that you got to have the right size to avoid mismatches on defense.
Besides Garcia, we have a great deal with salaries for our talent. I just want the Kings to show that they can still kick butt without high salaried guys so they can get a superstar veteran to jump on bandwagon next year to lead us to some championships.

Ok, I understand what you are trying to say, but the rebounding rate is not doubled nor would Dally's shotblocking be used to its fullest. Dally would not get the same amount of rebounds he averages as he would usually play with a PF with much lesser rebounding ability than Cousins and the difference in rebounding numbers between just Landry and Dalembert would not be that great with both being at PF. Now onto his shotblocking: Dalembert is a basket protector and so he needs to stay basically right underneath the basket and block shots. Dally does not have the agility or quickness of other great shotblocking PFs. Against power forwards, he will have to move out to AT LEAST the elbow and actually often in the modern NBA, all the way out to the 3 point line. This isn't even mentioning that his 1 on 1 D against PFs would be much worse than Landry's.
With all due respect, I think you're confusing PF with SF. Garnett, Gasol, Duncan and Amare are all scorers in the paint. I would not say that any of those guys are much quicker than Dally. Dally is actually quicker than average PF to tell you the truth.

You make some good points, but I'm not sure I buy that he would be worse at 1 on 1 D against PFs, or at least against most PFs. David West for example might give him a bit of trouble. I do think he could handle Pau ok though. And, I hadn't said this explicitly before, but, we could play a modified form of D that allows Dally to sag when his man goes out that far. Few PFs are a real threat from three pt range. And obviously we wouldn't play that lineup against them (Dirk, or Odom at times, for example). I do think he could do ok agianst Duncan/Amare. It would be interesting to get some Philly fans input on this. I'm sure they must have put him on some PFs last year.

Mind you I'm not necessarily advocating this, rather at this point, I am intrigued by the idea. To me what is intriguing is that you completely shut down the area within 15 feet of the basket. Hey, I'm just glad I can even fantasize about this kind of thing. And you know what, this may be a symptom of being big man deficient for so long. Now that we've got all these new toys, you want to see how they all fit together.

Looks like maybe this thread evolved to which group of 5 Kings would make the best team.
It comes down to what you believe is most important to success.
Some believe that Veteran presence is key. Not to beat a dead horse but the most experienced guys we have haven't shown ability to win so I discount value of veteran experience for our team altogether. Time for change.

Some believe scoring is most important so Landry should start. Again we did fine scoring last year but people always outscore us so we always lose.

Some believe size is very important and I would agree there is some truth to that. The Lakers starting lineup is the biggest in the league. Ron Artest at 260 lbs at SF, Pau at 7' and 250 lbs is as long as you can get for PF. Bynum at 7' and 285 lbs is a load. They dominate the boards and shotblocking and win big for a reason.

I think that scoring is what a lot of teams in the NBA can do but few are really solid on defense.

With Dally and Cousins we have that balance of defense and scoring with Lakers size.
At 6'11" and 250 lbs Dally is really PF size rather than Center and Cousins is definitely Center size. I don't see why Dally and Cousins wouldn't make the best combo of size, defense and scoring for us.
So best 5 are:
Evans, Garcia/Beno, Donte, Dally, Cousins.
I believe that Beno is more consistent than Garcia on offense but Garcia is better on defense so it's a draw in my book. I just believe that defense is really important and that you got to have the right size to avoid mismatches on defense.
Besides Garcia, we have a great deal with salaries for our talent. I just want the Kings to show that they can still kick butt without high salaried guys so they can get a superstar veteran to jump on bandwagon next year to lead us to some championships.
Ok look we are agreeing about the Dally/Cuz thing for the most part. But this last sentence? Are you serious? A superstar vet to lead us to the promised land? Do you want to re-state that? Tyreke will be the alpha dog on this team for as long as he is here. Period. Perhaps some time has passed and we have forgotten just how good this kid is. I know, it's hard to take in. It's hard to believe how good he was last year. But get this, he's going to be even better next year. He will be the one leading us to championships. He will be the guy taking the last shot for a while.

Ok look we are agreeing about the Dally/Cuz thing for the most part. But this last sentence? Are you serious? A superstar vet to lead us to the promised land? Do you want to re-state that? Tyreke will be the alpha dog on this team for as long as he is here. Period. Perhaps some time has passed and we have forgotten just how good this kid is. I know, it's hard to take in. It's hard to believe how good he was last year. But get this, he's going to be even better next year. He will be the one leading us to championships. He will be the guy taking the last shot for a while.
OK, you're right. Evans is still the Alpha dog who leads us but we need two superstar leaders like Celtics (Garnett and Pierce) and Lakers (Kobe and Pau). It's hard to win championship without multiple superstar leaders. You got Chicago and Miami loading up as well.