Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

Wow, I haven't seen DJ Augustin play in a few months and he's really stepped it up. He looks far better than I remember.

Either that or playing against Stanford guards just makes him look good.

K

king07

Wow, I haven't seen DJ Augustin play in a few months and he's really stepped it up. He looks far better than I remember.

I'd be very happy with DJ but we have to start losing more games if we want to have a chance at him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

He's been playing this way for quite a while now. However, I picked Texas to beat Stanford because of Stanfords guard play. Stanford has struggled all year whenever they face a team with a good backcourt. Doesn't take anything away from Augustin though. He's the real deal...

Love looks like he's 6'9''ish to me. I would say he's 6'9''.

What are your thoughts about Collison/Lawson after another game in the tournament bro

I am still not sold on either Collison or Lawson as of yet.. I wouldn't be pissed if we drafted either one (if they declare), but the way I see it is this....

You have your top tier PGs who will probably have decent NBA careers;
1. Rose
2. Augustin
3. Bayless (if he comes out)

Then you have the next tier which is higher risk but same reward;
1. Collison
2. Lawson
3. Westbrook (although I am not sure if he will be an NBA PG or combo)

Out of the six above I think maybe three or four will have long NBA careers and two or three will be good NBA players..

Love has been very impressive in the tournament, but I still think his upside is a Zach Randolph type of player, although obviously a better passer. And as big and wide as he looks in college, I think he would still look small next to Zach Randolph, and holy crap would he get abused on defense against guys like Bosh and Duncan.

I still don't think he's the type of player the Kings need. I just can't get behind the idea of having such an unathletic frontcourt. The Kings need athleticism, not another plodder.
The difference between Love, and Randolph is huge... Love at 18-19 has two times the basketball IQ as Randolph. I think the stats have a chance to be similar, but I think Love would bring more to a team overall than Randolph would. Love is a good "team guy", and would probably make people around him better.

Unathletic yes.. but remember than UCLA had the 4th ranked D in the country. 1 on 1 he isn't very good, but in a team D situation I believe his IQ will take over, and he will be able to adjust to the whole team defense concept. I don't think we would have much to worry about... We will create so many problems for opposing teams that the 1 on 1 defensive liability will not be as drastic.

OK... Rating the top ten players in the draft...

This is IF they are all coming out..

I am listing Bayless, and Blake Griffin. There is a chance both are coming out.

1. Beasley
2. Rose
3. Lopez

These are pretty much your top three no matter who is 1/2/3. Lopez, and Rose might flip flop depending on if Memphis gets the #2. Or they might trade the pick. Who knows..

4-15 are in no particular order. Listed as I am thinking of the top players in this years draft. So even at 12 we will get a quality player. No worries :D

4. OJ Mayo
5. Blake Griffin
6. Jerryd Bayless
7. Eric Gordon
8. Danillo Gallinari
9. Nicolas Batum
10. Kevin Love
12. DJ Augustin
13. DeAndre Jordan
14. Darren Collison
15. Russell Westbrook

OK... Rating the top ten players in the draft...

This is IF they are all coming out..

I am listing Bayless, and Blake Griffin. There is a chance both are coming out.

1. Beasley
2. Rose
3. Lopez

These are pretty much your top three no matter who is 1/2/3. Lopez, and Rose might flip flop depending on if Memphis gets the #2. Or they might trade the pick. Who knows..

4-15 are in no particular order. Listed as I am thinking of the top players in this years draft. So even at 12 we will get a quality player. No worries :D

4. OJ Mayo
5. Blake Griffin
6. Jerryd Bayless
7. Eric Gordon
8. Danillo Gallinari
9. Nicolas Batum
10. Kevin Love
12. DJ Augustin
13. DeAndre Jordan
14. Darren Collison
15. Russell Westbrook
Here's another name - PF Richard Hendrix of Alabama. His overall stats in the SEC are pretty sensational. Also, said to be smart, team player, highly dedicated. Some see him as another possible Carlos Boozer in the making. I very seriously doubt he goes #5 like Sheldon Williams but, he could go in the top 20 - assuming he comes out as this article speculates from USA Today.

Alabama forward Richard Hendrix will enter NBA draft

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Alabama forward Richard Hendrix has decided to enter the NBA draft, but is leaving the door open to return for his senior season. Hendrix said he doesn't plan to hire an agent, giving him until 10 days before the June 26 draft to withdraw his name.
"After the season, I had to come to a decision to make with my family and the coaches," the 6-foot-9 All-Southeastern Conference player said. "I want to put my name in the 2008 NBA draft. I also came to the decision that as of right now, I do not plan to sign with an agent. I'm going into this procedure with the highest hopes and the best of expectations."
Hendrix's averages of 17.8 points and 10.1 rebounds a game this season led the Crimson Tide. He ranked among the SEC's top five in scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage and blocked shots.
Alabama coach Mark Gottfried said Hendrix and his family have been careful to evaluate their options.
"I think Richard wants to go after this full speed ahead, and I support him on that," Gottfried said. "I think that if you're going to do it, that's where your minds should be. At the same time as you watch, they're going to be very cautious of what's being said and what he hears, and he's going to make a great decision."
Hendrix is on track to graduate in May after just three years with a degree in communications, quicker than any player in program history. Teammate and roommate Greg Cage is also scheduled to graduate in three years.
Hendrix's numbers dipped late in the season. He averaged 13.1 points and 8.75 rebounds while shooting 48.9% over the last eight regular-season games.
Hendrix is the latest Tide underclassman to enter the draft during Gottfried's tenure, including players like Gerald Wallace, Mo Williams, Kennedy Winston and Rod Grizzard.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2008-03-26-alabama-hendrix-draft_N.htm

Would you say that Hawes and Love have similar skill sets?
There are some similarities, but I think they are different players.

For Hawes to be successful he needs to be incorporated into the offense. You won't have to be that attentive with Love. He'll do other things and offensively he should be able to play off others.

If we stay at 12, there is two guys i think can help sactown.

Dj Augustin and Jason Thompson. i would be more than happy for either guy. unless someone higher slips. (batum/randolph)

http://www.youtube.com/v/spSrzGkIzz0&hl=en
Randolph isn't going to slip because he isn't even rated in the top 15... Well.... One site has him I think 12, others have him 17-20.

If I had to bet on his draft position I would have to say about 20 or there about. As for Batum I haven't really seen much outside the game I downloaded which was bad quality. Those international players are hard to rate coming from a regular guy like myself.

Saw the Kansas/Villanova game yesterday, and Arthur was completely invisible. I can't stand that a guy so athletic and skilled can be so content with disappearing so often. To be fair, it was a blowout and he did have two plays that made me jump out of my chair and go "HOLY $%*@!" but still, I expect more out of him. If he played with half the heart and tenacity that, say, Justin Williams does, he'd be a top 5 pick.

Saw the Kansas/Villanova game yesterday, and Arthur was completely invisible. I can't stand that a guy so athletic and skilled can be so content with disappearing so often. To be fair, it was a blowout and he did have two plays that made me jump out of my chair and go "HOLY $%*@!" but still, I expect more out of him. If he played with half the heart and tenacity that, say, Justin Williams does, he'd be a top 5 pick.
To be fair, I can think of about 5 times off the top of my head where Arthur had very good position in the post and they wouldn't give him the ball. It annoyed the hell out of me. I was shouting at the TV to give him the damn ball :D
I'm also a little disappointed he doesn't get more time. Maybe he's just not good enough, but from what I see he is loaded with talent. He's very athletic, generally seems to try hard and has got skills. Why won't they play him more? Despite this, after his showing today I'm more than willing to take him at 12 (that may shock some). He showed good skills and excellent hops. I really like his potential. I really don't believe the coach is maximising his skills.

To be fair, I can think of about 5 times off the top of my head where Arthur had very good position in the post and they wouldn't give him the ball. It annoyed the hell out of me. I was shouting at the TV to give him the damn ball :D
I'm also a little disappointed he doesn't get more time. Maybe he's just not good enough, but from what I see he is loaded with talent. He's very athletic, generally seems to try hard and has got skills. Why won't they play him more? Despite this, after his showing today I'm more than willing to take him at 12 (that may shock some). He showed good skills and excellent hops. I really like his potential. I really don't believe the coach is maximising his skills.
F'sho. Doesn't excuse the lack of rebounding though. His main problem, I think, is he loses focus way too easily. He is still a kid, and is talented as hell.

That alley oop and baseline spin moves were Amare-esque. Wow!

F'sho. Doesn't excuse the lack of rebounding though. His main problem, I think, is he loses focus way too easily. He is still a kid, and is talented as hell.

That alley oop and baseline spin moves were Amare-esque. Wow!
Every time I say no way on this guy he pulls an Amare move.. So true.. That dunk was friggin crazy. BUT.. He's a crappy rebounder, and it pisses me off he isn't more assertive. He has a good team around him, but he needs to play like the captain of that team, and not defer to others.

See Love again today? OK.. Now I feel I am a "Love expert".. He has been so damn impressive this tournament and all season.. Top 10 possible top 8 now.. DOH for the Kings fans! He will not be available when we pick..

This years draft is going to be pretty deep if Blake Griffin, Bayless, and Budinger are coming out.

See Love again today? OK.. Now I feel I am a "Love expert".. He has been so damn impressive this tournament and all season.. Top 10 possible top 8 now.. DOH for the Kings fans! He will not be available when we pick..

This years draft is going to be pretty deep if Blake Griffin, Bayless, and Budinger are coming out.
He was very impressive, and that video of him shooting that full court shot was amazing.

But you still haven't convinced me why he'd be a good fit for the Kings.

Bottom line, again, is that he's going to be a terrible defender in the pros, and I still don't know if his rebounding will translate.

Athleticism please!

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Ya just gatta love Love. Hey, thats not a bad slogan. He was very good as usual today. I will guarantee you that if for some reason he's on the board when we pick, we will take him. My wife, who knows little about basketball, watched the game with me today. Somewhere in the second half, she asked, who's that white guy, number forty something. Man he's really good. On that, I will rest my case.

On Arthur, its been that way everytime I see him. He'll show a glimpse of what he's capable of, and then disappear. I honestly don't know who to blame it on. Maybe they think that if they don't make him a big part of their offense, he'll stay another year. Beats me.

He was very impressive, and that video of him shooting that full court shot was amazing.

But you still haven't convinced me why he'd be a good fit for the Kings.

Bottom line, again, is that he's going to be a terrible defender in the pros, and I still don't know if his rebounding will translate.

Athleticism please!
His rebounding will translate.. He is excellent at boxing out, and the kid is one strong SOB.

Someone had compared him to Zach Randolph. It's about right, except Love has more range, and a LOT better passer.. Anyway, Love will be top twn now so the kings really don't have a chance at him.

I am beginning to think Lawson and Collison are both better than I thought they were before the tournament. Collison really impressed me today. He created some of his own shots and hit atleast 2 NBA range 3s. Lawson reminds me of TJ Ford and the game isn't over but he has a few pretty impressive passes. I hope they both enter the draft, I would take 1 of them at 12 for sure(depending on if Jordan or someone like that is there, or I might take McGee). Also look at this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut

We could take 1 of Collison/Lawson in the 1st(or Augustin IF he's there) and then with our 2nd rounders grab Earl Clark and Jason Thompson or something like that. That is like getting 3 guys with 1st round talent IMO, I think if this draft wasn't shaping up to be so deep those 2 I mentioned for our 2nd rounders would be 1st rounders for sure.

First time I got to see Love play today, and I was pretty impressed with him, especially his shooting. Anybody see him in practice making the half, 3/4, and full court shots?

I am beginning to think Lawson and Collison are both better than I thought they were before the tournament. Collison really impressed me today. He created some of his own shots and hit atleast 2 NBA range 3s. Lawson reminds me of TJ Ford and the game isn't over but he has a few pretty impressive passes. I hope they both enter the draft, I would take 1 of them at 12 for sure(depending on if Jordan or someone like that is there, or I might take McGee). Also look at this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut

We could take 1 of Collison/Lawson in the 1st(or Augustin IF he's there) and then with our 2nd rounders grab Earl Clark and Jason Thompson or something like that. That is like getting 3 guys with 1st round talent IMO, I think if this draft wasn't shaping up to be so deep those 2 I mentioned for our 2nd rounders would be 1st rounders for sure.
Not sold on Collison. His size, slow release, and lack of explosiveness is gonna make it tough for him to create good shots for himself at the next level. He's a good set shooter but thats not really what im looking for in a pg. Even though he has great speed and handles he doesnt try to penetrate the ball as much as he should. I'm not sure if he's just passive or if thats a result of the offensive system UCLA runs. He won't be the same defensive presence in the NBA that he is now, he will always pick up some steals from how he plays the passing lanes, but his man to man defense is gonna suffer against bigger stronger point guards. He does some nice things but he looks likes a role player to me.

I can't see how Chicago could pass on him unless they are really foolish enough to think Gooden and Thomas are the future. For a team that needs low post scoring and already plays a slow pace he is a perfect fit. I doubt he slips past them if Griffin and Lopez are gone.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in James Harden if hes available? I think the last position most people want to see the Kings draft is a sg, but Harden may have better pg skills then Mayo, or Bayless. He can certainly defend the pg spot. It might be unconventional and he certainly isn't a pure pg but if he is available i wouldn't mind seeing him in the back court along side Martin next season.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in James Harden if hes available? I think the last position most people want to see the Kings draft is a sg, but Harden may have better pg skills then Mayo, or Bayless. He can certainly defend the pg spot. It might be unconventional and he certainly isn't a pure pg but if he is available i wouldn't seeing him in the back court along side Martin next season.

I don't think he'll declare. What do you think about Russ Westbrook or Lawson?