Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

I don't think anyone said that.
I am not sure what you are going off of though.. They certainly didn't put any of the games on ESPN or FSN this year unless my tivo missed it.. Because I haven't seen him, and because on an LSU forum they said he needs another year, and has no offensive game is enough for me not to want to draft him. Plus he plays a position we don't need...

I am not sure what you are going off of though.. They certainly didn't put any of the games on ESPN or FSN this year unless my tivo missed it.. Because I haven't seen him, and because on an LSU forum they said he needs another year, and has no offensive game is enough for me not to want to draft him. Plus he plays a position we don't need...
What was a the point of the Petrie comment? Nobody said that they think Petrie would draft him, but yet you felt the need to insinuate that people had assumed as much.

Does he have a developed offensive game? No, he doesn't. What he does have is good ball handling skills, good quickness, good length, a mid range jumper that has potential to improve, and good explosiveness. It's not developed yet, but he has the potential to put it together to develop a good offensive game. Could he use another year? Sure, A LOT of players that come out early could use another year; however that doesn't doom them for the rest of their careers. He has projectibility. I don't know why you're playing dumb to his qualities; no one has ever said that he was anything but a project for the future. I think he can definitely develop into a PF, but even if he doesn't and he settles into a SF spot, is that really a position that we have filled? I'm not convinced and would it really kill us to have a Josh Smith type? No, it wouldn't.

Unless we leapfrog a few teams over the next month, I really don't see Jordan falling to us; someone is going to want a long, athletic big man they can groom. Also even if we did draft him, that makes Hawes a PF on offense.

What was a the point of the Petrie comment? Nobody said that they think Petrie would draft him, but yet you felt the need to insinuate that people had assumed as much.

Does he have a developed offensive game? No, he doesn't. What he does have is good ball handling skills, good quickness, good length, a mid range jumper that has potential to improve, and good explosiveness. It's not developed yet, but he has the potential to put it together to develop a good offensive game. Could he use another year? Sure, A LOT of players that come out early could use another year; however that doesn't doom them for the rest of their careers. He has projectibility. I don't know why you're playing dumb to his qualities; no one has ever said that he was anything but a project for the future. I think he can definitely develop into a PF, but even if he doesn't and he settles into a SF spot, is that really a position that we have filled? I'm not convinced and would it really kill us to have a Josh Smith type? No, it wouldn't.
I was asking if you had seen him play? I haven't and I try to at least zoom through almost every televised college game on network TV/FSN/ESPN. So I was asking you what are you basing your opinions on in regards to Randolph. You seem overly excited about this player that hardly anyone got to see play. I was curious what you have heard.. BTW, his midrange jumper is about 8-12ft at the most from what the LSU fans said.. I caught some youtube of him, and the boy is real skinny. I don't think he move to PF unless the team has a big center. An LSU fan said his hips are about the size of a normal mans thigh. He doesn't have the bone structure imo to add a lot of weight. But I would want to see him more to know what's up. A lot of what I got is second hand from fans or youtube.

Also, about his draft positions.. nbamock and nbadraft have him at 18. Draftexpress has him at 12, and mynbadraft has him at 14.. Don't get me wrong.. a 7'0 SF does intrigue me. BUT I worry about wasting a draft pick on someone so raw. If we had two picks I might take a chance on one of them.

Also, about his draft positions.. nbamock and nbadraft have him at 18. Draftexpress has him at 12, and mynbadraft has him at 14.. Don't get me wrong.. a 7'0 SF does intrigue me. BUT I worry about wasting a draft pick on someone so raw. If we had two picks I might take a chance on one of them.
Do you mind if I ask why?

I'm one of the resident "homers" on Kingsfans and even I don't see us rebuilding quicker than 3 years. The point being, we have plenty of time to develop some of these raw players. And if we get them young enough, then the time it takes to develop them doesn't hurt their overall careers.

I'm one of the resident "homers" on Kingsfans and even I don't see us rebuilding quicker than 3 years. The point being, we have plenty of time to develop some of these raw players. And if we get them young enough, then the time it takes to develop them doesn't hurt their overall careers.

Because you have way more proven guys in this draft. Sure, 2 years ago I would have because after the first 3-4 players all you had was raw. If a guy like Love, Lawson, Augustin dropped to 12th than we should take it. They all fill a position need, and they all are pretty proven college players.

The way I see it is that you use a lottery pick to fill a need if rebuilding. You use a 15-22 to draft a "raw" player, and 22-30 to pick the best available player. This in a year with normal talent. You have to adjust if there is less talent like 2006.

Gary this is off topic but your signature is messed up. When Ron was talking about cheese he was talking about the NUGGETS bargain shopping... not the Kings.

I got the quote from yahoo!.. lol I never read it in the bee.. I will change ;) I just thought this was real funy because isn't kraft that processed govt cheese? :D

I got the quote from yahoo!.. lol I never read it in the bee.. I will change ;) I just thought this was real funy because isn't kraft that processed govt cheese? :D

Oh I see bro. lol I dunno, I think the owner of the Patriots in the NFL owns Kraft but I'm not sure. Either way it's funny though.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

I'm not Gary, but here's my take: a more established team is more likely to take a chance on the raw/unproven talent (think the Gerald Wallace pick a few years back.) There's a greater amount of reward for a lower amount of risk. For a team looking for their cornerstone piece, it makes more sense to take the proven commodity, or at least go with the "safe" bet.

For example, Phoenix may go ahead and take the risk on someone who is raw/athletic, in the hopes that he will learn from the vets and become a better player. In Sac, it doesn't make much sense for the reason that you want someone to help him learn - such as Hawes/Miller. I don't know anyone at the PF/PG position to help with the grooming.

Since this is clearly a message board, it's all my opinion, btw.

While I wouldn't be disappointed with Randolph, I'm not that high on him anymore. Maybe that will change at the combine. It would be refreshing to see GP draft a raw, physical specimen with potential. However, that's not something Geoff is going to do, unless someone like Jordan falls, and even then I'm not sure he would pull the trigger.

I think at this point, my draft list would be something like: Batum, Augustin, Arthur, Collison. You could add a few in there like Thompson, McGee, Greene, Randolph etc. but I don't think I'd rate them ahead of my list at this point. Of course, this all changes if someone like Mayo, Bayless or Jordan falls to our pick. I can't see that happening though.

I think I've reached my decision that I'd prefer Augustin to Collison. I think he has more upside, even though he is a tad undersized. And undersized guards generally don't become stars.

As a measuring stick (and no, I'm not comparing Augustin to CP), what was Paul like in college? Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any college games when Paul and Williams were in college. Was Paul a far better player at that stage of his career?

Some players are suited much better to the NBA game than the college game. I think Mayo is a prime example of this. It's like he's been moulded as an NBA player. He can come in and start right away, he's going to be a very, very good player with his scoring and passing skills. He's a good defender, too.

I'm very high on Batum. I know what he's like and I know his talents. He is an all-round player and is very much like Rudy Gay. Gay is a fantastic player to get at our spot. Batum is a very long and fluid athlete, with good range and nice shooting touch. He is a good passer with a solid handle and driving ability. If he can put it together (and he will, he's a hard worker with a great attitude) he can become a multiple-time all-star. SF is not a position we have locked down for the future. Ron will likely be gone in a few years and I honestly don't believe Garcia can start on a championship team. He'd be great off the bench, though.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For what it's worth, apparently Jerryd Bayless told Brandon Jennings (likely one-and-done PG recruit for Arizona next year) this week that he would be returning to Arizona. Again, for what it's worth. I still expect Bayless to declare but if he stays in school it would shake up the top a bit. Just another guy to add to the list of underclass question marks (Mayo, Love, Jordan, Griffin, Budinger at least make that list). If a lot of guys go back to school, the draft could get real thin around #12...

I thought it was Budinger staying and Bayless going.. nbamock, and nbadraft both have it that way.. Although draftexpress has them both.. HRM.. Would screw it up a bit if Bayless stayed. Augistin would almost definitely be w/in top ten if Bayless stays in school.

Yah, Kevin Love is NOT going to fall to #11, or #12.. No way! :(:mad::eek: That kid is a beast!

Yeah he's having a good tournament. You think Russ Westbrook will declare? We might actually have a shot at him and he can be a damn good PG IMO, there's a ton of potential there.

Also I've finally figured out who Collison reminds me of. Rich man's Rafer Alston. Good half court PG who can handle the ball well and play up tempo if they needed to/were in that type of system. Good passer, both very good 3 point shooters, but Collison is a better defender. A lot better although Alston isn't bad, and has been pretty underrated this year IMO.

yah it's crazy how he has done in the tourney.. Excellent play under pressure as an 18-19 year old will only improve his draft placing.

In 3 NCAA tournament games he has averaged 22.7ppg 11.3rpg 2.0apg 5.0bpg:eek::eek:

Craziness.. The mock sites have all adjusted and have him going 8-11 now.. Wouldn't surprise me if Jordan fell lower than Love.

yah it's crazy how he has done in the tourney.. Excellent play under pressure as an 18-19 year old will only improve his draft placing.

In 3 NCAA tournament games he has averaged 22.7ppg 11.3rpg 2.0apg 5.0bpg:eek::eek:

Craziness.. The mock sites have all adjusted and have him going 8-11 now.. Wouldn't surprise me if Jordan fell lower than Love.

That could be good for us. Jordan fits our needs better and has tremendous potential also, if he winds up falling to where we'll be picking(11 or 12).

Pic of Jordan and Love standing together. There were people saying he was listed at 6'7 w/o shoes somewhere.. I had heard he was closer to 6'8.75-6'9 w/o shoes. Jordan is 6'11 w/o shoes. Love looks about two inches smaller. It's weird because he looks so short out there, but when I watched the Stanford game, and he was next to one of the Lopez's chatting it up he was not much shorter. Maybe an inch or so.. Jordan is listed at 7'0 (before this season) and Love is listed at 6'10. If I had to guess what the measurements would be at the combine I would have to say 6'8.75-6'9 for Love, and 6'10.75-6'11 for Jordan. So I hope this concludes the talk about him being too short :D

Now too wide? Yah we can still chat about how he needs to lose about 30lbs :D:D

Last edited:
i don't think love will turn out to be very good. He's good in college because hes big compared to everyone else, but compared to nba players he isn't that big.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
He isn't really using his size, though to bully people around. His positioning is very good, and he's got a very high basketball IQ. A certain, je ne sais qoui if you will. I think that's going to translate very, very well. I'll defer to the experts here, though.

I think Love can be a good NBA player, just don't expect him to bring it defensively. He has transitioned very well from high school to college. He has a low center of gravity, is hard to move or throw off balance once he gets position. Those same traits that make him good at some things, makes him horrible at others. There have been times where he looks like post knee injury Webber on defense. The lateral movement isn't there, and the spacing and speed of the NBA will expose him.

He wouldn't be a bad pick where we're picking, but not for a team that drafted Spencer Hawes the previous year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He isn't really using his size, though to bully people around. His positioning is very good, and he's got a very high basketball IQ. A certain, je ne sais qoui if you will. I think that's going to translate very, very well. I'll defer to the experts here, though.
What did you just call me? :eek:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As were on the issue of height. In one game I was watching, Arthur was standing next to Darnell Jackson and they appeared to be around the same height. If anything Jackson seemed to be slightly taller. Jackson is listed at 6'8" on the boards. I realize the the angles on television can make things appear taller or shorter.

I notice that most of the mock drafts now have Griffin listed. I wonder if they have heard anything about his intentions. The more the merrier and the deeper the draft will be. I sure wish we had a shot at him.. No chance..

As were on the issue of height. In one game I was watching, Arthur was standing next to Darnell Jackson and they appeared to be around the same height. If anything Jackson seemed to be slightly taller. Jackson is listed at 6'8" on the boards. I realize the the angles on television can make things appear taller or shorter.

I notice that most of the mock drafts now have Griffin listed. I wonder if they have heard anything about his intentions. The more the merrier and the deeper the draft will be. I sure wish we had a shot at him.. No chance..
Nah I can tell Arthur is definitely 6'9''. He looks taller than Jackson to me.

Oh yeah and DraftExpress said Griffin will probably enter. Also they said a couple more guys will enter. It's shaping up to be a pretty deep draft IMO, which is good considering we have 2 decent 2nd rounders. That could be like an extension of the 1st I think.

Love has been very impressive in the tournament, but I still think his upside is a Zach Randolph type of player, although obviously a better passer. And as big and wide as he looks in college, I think he would still look small next to Zach Randolph, and holy crap would he get abused on defense against guys like Bosh and Duncan.

I still don't think he's the type of player the Kings need. I just can't get behind the idea of having such an unathletic frontcourt. The Kings need athleticism, not another plodder.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I think Love can be a good NBA player, just don't expect him to bring it defensively. He has transitioned very well from high school to college. He has a low center of gravity, is hard to move or throw off balance once he gets position. Those same traits that make him good at some things, makes him horrible at others. There have been times where he looks like post knee injury Webber on defense. The lateral movement isn't there, and the spacing and speed of the NBA will expose him.

He wouldn't be a bad pick where we're picking, but not for a team that drafted Spencer Hawes the previous year.
Would you say that Hawes and Love have similar skill sets?