Kings Summer League Info/Questions/Discussion (merged)

Good point VF :)

But I REALLY love what I am seeing from JWill and Hawes. JWill made MANY improvements to his offense, and his defense is as strong as ever. Hawes is impressing me with his sweet post moves and shooting stroke, and he is only 19? I think the two have A LOT of potential of becoming an amazing frontcourt duo.

It is fun to watch the kids, VF. :D

I agree that Team China looks pretty bad out there. It could be exhaustion, but not much resistance or fight.

i'm having a hard time not getting too excited. love what i'm seeing. but should probably wait for a second game. or at least the second half. before i start making outrageous fanboy claims.

the two things that i have loved so far is Garcia's ability to create and how Hawes dunks the ball rather than trying to get a foul on a layup like brad.

its good to see a big finally not being afraid of his shot getting blocked.

Yeah, Watkins also looked pretty good out there -- it looks like he has a nice 10-15 foot jump shot in addition to being able to mix it up inside. He looks like he might be worth a roster spot.

i'm having a hard time not getting too excited. love what i'm seeing. but should probably wait for a second game. or at least the second half. before i start making outrageous fanboy claims.
Exactly, people need to remember:

1. This is just one game. Yi had a really good performance the other night against Memphis, but is struggling tonight.
2. Players who don't belong in the NBA, even lottery picks like Tshisliviki, can dominate and appear much better than they are.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, get excited now. You'll be forgiven.

It is TDOS, after all!

Besides, if you can't get excited about seeing two of our newest guys having fun and playing the game, why bother to watch?

;)

When looking at Summer League games, you look for skills. Hawes showed a lot, Justin showed great pick'n'roll ability, and SHakur looks like he could be worth the investment to develop

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Watkins also looked pretty good out there -- it looks like he has a nice 10-15 foot jump shot in addition to being able to mix it up inside. He looks like he might be worth a roster spot.
I'd like to see him in the post. Shakur looks like he may deserve a roster spot as well 3 assist in 6 min. Hawes boxes out great and gave Donta Smith both of his reb by doing so.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Official announcement by VF21:

It's OKAY to get excited! You can rescind your excitement after the game, if you feel the need, and put the blame on me.

;)

Justin is really taking advantage of Team China weak front court on the offensive end. Hawes showed a lot of his offensive skills in the first half. Some nice passes, mid range jumpers, and some impressive post moves. He surprised me with his ability to stay in front of of the quicker Yi a few times as well. Garcia looked allot better when he was trying to get to the basket rather then chucking up the outside jumper. Shakur did some nice things defensively. On the offensive end took some bad shots and outside of that dish to Hawes at the end of the first was rather ineffective as a play maker.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Team China just looks exhausted. They're not even really trying out there. Williams and Hawes are looking good, I agree with people about Shakur, he made some things happen out there.

Still, the level of competition is pretty much non-existent.
Back to back and a team with no depth, so I guess not totally surprising.

I'm sure the Chinese basketball junta will make sure there are plenty of lashes handed out in the morning. ;)

And yes VF21, its just summer league. This is the wacky world where Oden scores 4pts 1 reb while Kelenna Azubuike goes for 29 and 6. So it really really really doesn't mean much. But its still more fun to win. :p

Entity

Hall of Famer
medely sucks for us. he had 4 fouls in like 1 min. aside from that its not a foulfest like most other years. Justin looks like a seasoned vet against all of them. he should have double doubel here shortly

Entity

Hall of Famer
I also see why Donta Smith is a FA. its not like we are all perfect its pretty much our fountcourt is just dominating in all fascets of the game.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Brick it is just summer league. But in defense of that tired saying you also said the same thing when Kevin Martin was going of last year.

YI just scored first points

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hawes is going to look bad on the reb. But he is boxing out letting the others with nobody on them take it free and clear without a battle he is a smart player.