Artest arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to News10, arraingment is set for March 22, 8:30 am in Auburn. They also said there was a three-year old child in the home.

Of course the media has probably been salivating for something to eventually happen with him and now they're going to milk it for all its worth.

This team has fallen so far, it's gone way beyond me feeling anger anymore. Now it's just sad.

I hope we can void his contract and just get on with rebuilding.
Artest's contract is not large enough to harm our rebuilding process. It is the temptation the Maloofs will have to give him significant money a little over a year from now that will harm our rebuilding process. If, indeed, that is what we are doing...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Artest's contract is not large enough to harm our rebuilding process. It is the temptation the Maloofs will have to give him significant money a little over a year from now that will harm our rebuilding process. If, indeed, that is what we are doing...
It is really hard to imagine that now, without a series of out clauses based upon behavior.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
FYI:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/09/25/ctv.penalty.box/index.html

NBA player's girlfriend faces charges in domestic dispute

CARMEL, Indiana-- The girlfriend of Indiana Pacer Ron Artest and the mother of his two of his children pleaded not guilty September 16 to domestic violence charges.

Kimisha Hatfield, 27, told police that she hit Artest in the head and scratched him at his home where the couple was staying with their children. Police say Artest, who called police, was standing outside the house with the children when officers arrived. Hatfield's bond was set at $2,500 and a trial date was scheduled for March 6, 2002.

EDIT: Kimisha is the "Mrs. Artest" the neighbors identified today. The Placer Co. Sheriff is precluded by law from identifying victims of domestic violence. I only posted this since I had mentioned earlier that I thought she had been charged previously...

Last edited:
What else is there for Ron Artest to beat up? Kicked the crap out of some of his fans, check. Kicked his dog, check. And now he is kicking ladies around. I hope his kids don't have to deal with his anger issues.

And to all the people who said that ron artest wouldn't be a cancer. I told you so!

Women can, and do, physically attack their partners, even ones much larger than themselves.

I'm not saying Ron gets a pass, I think what the Kings have done is the right tihng, but I won't pass judgement until the full details are known.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Classy.

I'm hoping your statement was a poor attempt at humor.

All of this is pure sausage at the moment. We won't know all of the details anytime soon. VF has pointed out that the missus has a history of anger issues herself, so I'm waiting to cast judgement.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What else is there for Ron Artest to beat up? Kicked the crap out of some of his fans, check. Kicked his dog, check. And now he is kicking ladies around. I hope his kids don't have to deal with his anger issues.

And to all the people who said that ron artest wouldn't be a cancer. I told you so!
You might want to .. oh, I don't know .. wait until you know more about the situation until you make some kind of judgment. And it would probably be a good idea to check your facts. The dog incident involved how a dog was treated while Artest was on the road. He didn't kick it; it was malnourished.

I'm not condoning domestic violence but I'm not going to condone a lynch mob attitude, either.

Here is more info I found on MSN
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6531512

Kings' Artest arrested, excused from team
Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest was arrested Monday after a woman called 911 from his home saying she had been assaulted.

Placer County sheriff's deputies responded about 9:30 a.m. to Artest's five-acre estate in the Sacramento suburb of Loomis, where they found a woman who had suffered injuries, officials said. She declined medical attention.

Deputies arrested Artest on suspicion of domestic violence and using force or violence to prevent the woman from reporting a crime, sheriff's spokeswoman Dena Erwin said.

"He and the female were in the house and separated," Erwin said. "The deputies interviewed them and took Mr. Artest into custody."

Artest, the central figure of the infamous 2004 brawl between Indiana Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans, was booked into the Placer County Jail and released later on $50,000 bail.

Erwin said she could not disclose the woman's injuries or characterize her relationship with the player. She said Artest was cooperative when deputies arrived at his home.

Sheriff's officials obtained an emergency protective order that prevents Artest from returning to the house or contacting the woman until she can obtain a restraining order, sheriff's Sgt. Andrew Scott said during an afternoon news conference. He said such action was normal procedure in domestic violence cases.

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said the team was removing Artest from the team, pending a full investigation.
"The Kings have excused Ron Artest indefinitely from any further participation with the team due to his arrest today for domestic violence," Petrie said in a statement.

Team spokesman Troy Hanson told The Associated Press that Artest had not been suspended and still was being paid.
Artest, who joined the Kings from the Indiana Pacers in January 2006, has had previous run-ins with police.

He was at the center of the Nov. 19, 2004 brawl between Pacers players and Pistons fans at The Palace in Detroit. Just when a confrontation between players seemed to be over, Artest, lying on the scorer's table, was hit with a cup filled with an icy beverage. He bolted into the stands in a rage, followed by fist-swinging teammate Stephen Jackson. Artest and teammate Jermaine O'Neal later slugged fans on the court.

Two days later, Artest was suspended for the rest of the season - 73 games, plus the playoffs - in a move that cost him almost $5 million.
Artest and Jackson were sentenced to one year of probation and 60 hours of community service after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault charges. In January, Artest was released from that probation.
Artest has spent nearly 14 months with Sacramento since the Kings acquired him in a blockbuster trade for fan favorite Peja Stojakovic. His short tenure is following a familiar script for the volatile former St. John's star: Initial excitement and outstanding play, followed by disinterest, distractions - and now, more legal trouble.

Last month, county animal control officers seized Artest's Great Dane, Socks, from his home in a gated community about 25 miles northeast of Sacramento. They said the animal wasn't being fed. County records showed the NBA star had paid nearly $2,000 in boarding and impound fees for his dogs, which had spent 77 nights at the pound since July.

Last season, Artest guaranteed the then-struggling Kings would make the playoffs shortly after he arrived, and they surged to the No. 8 seed and an impressive performance in a first-round loss to San Antonio.
Artest's dogged defense and passion fit in well with Sacramento's devoted fans, who adopted him as a community favorite.

This season hasn't been as easy for Artest, who's averaging 18.7 points and 6.6 rebounds while the Kings struggle at 27-32. Sacramento, which hosts Artest's former Indiana teammates on Tuesday night, has battled poor team chemistry and inconsistent play under new coach Eric Musselman.

Though Artest had been a model teammate in his abbreviated first season, he sparked controversy two months ago by indirectly criticizing Mike Bibby's defense. Artest also missed a handful of games with a knee injury that came as news to the Kings - and last month, he sat out of the Kings' visit to Indiana for undisclosed personal reasons.

The Kings were rumored to be exploring trades for Artest but didn't make a deal at last month's trade deadline. Sacramento has won its last three games, with Artest playing well in road victories over Portland and the Los Angeles Lakers — after shaving the word "Kings" into the back of his head.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That's the biggest tragedy of all -- the kids. There's been a history of this in the household, so that doesn't bode well for the kids, at all.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the Kings traded Peja for Artest I said then that the best case scenario was that he would stay out of trouble and play well, and then the Kings could ship him off for decent market value.

If Geoff had dealt him at the trading deadline, that very well might have been the case . . .

I can't think of a worse NBA team to be a fan of right now, for a plethora of reasons. This is just the cherry on top.

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't been on this board for all that long...

When Webber was on thin ice several years back, were lots of posters here calling for his head? He'd already been through marijuana stuff and accused of sexual assault before he came to Sac, and then it looked like he might be convicted of perjury, and got another drug suspension to boot... I was bothered by it, but still very glad to have the guy on the team. Did posters here, pre-injury, want CWebb off the team?

This combined with the personal issues in New York makes for a not-so-pleasant week for Ron

Maybe this will help him get his life in some sort of order. At least for the sake of his kids they both need to.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't been on this board for all that long...

When Webber was on thin ice several years back, were lots of posters here calling for his head? He'd already been through marijuana stuff and accused of sexual assault before he came to Sac, and then it looked like he might be convicted of perjury, and got another drug suspension to boot... I was bothered by it, but still very glad to have the guy on the team. Did posters here, pre-injury, want CWebb off the team?
The marijuana stauff and sexual assult -- dropped withing 24 hours and obvious fraud BTW, -- was before his time in Sacto. Never any problems in his Sacto years until the seoond marijauna thing just before his return (potential perjury being a relatively minor concern for people unless you're in the legal system -- never proven anyway). Much different apple. Webb wasn't a franchise wrecker, just a kid who had problems at one stop. By the time there were any legal problems here we'd already rode on his back to elite status and it had been 6-7 years since the Washington stuff.

Oh, and yes, people who already didn't like him used that as further proof that he must go.

Last edited:
Ok i apologize for that comment, but still i have known women to be very VERY manipulative. I am not trying to give this guy a break, i am just a skeptical person.
And I've known men to be very VERY manipulative. Just as long as you treat whatever Ron says as skeptically as whatever the woman says. Less misongyny in this world would mean less domestic violence.

Some years back Artest threatened a girlfriend (no actual violence) and was ordered into anger management classes. Not his first anger management therapy.

However, for now he is innocent until proven guilty. Its a sad situation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And I've known men to be very VERY manipulative. Just as long as you treat whatever Ron says as skeptically as whatever the woman says. Less misongyny in this world would mean less domestic violence.

Some years back Artest threatened a girlfriend (no actual violence) and was ordered into anger management classes. Not his first anger management therapy.

However, for now he is innocent until proven guilty. Its a sad situation.
And, in case you missed it, back in 2002 Kimisha (the "unidentified woman" here) was arrested on domestic violence charges against Artest.

This sad scenario between the two of them has apparently been going on for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.