Kings Notes: Artest rips into injury doubters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/132336.html

Artest rips into injury doubters
Eric Musselman says Wednesday's pregame situation was just a misunderstanding.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 10:18 am PST Sunday, March 4, 2007

PORTLAND, Ore. - Ron Artest is done being doubted, whether it's the fans, media or even his coach.

And a day after his agent, Mark Stevens, responded publicly to a perceived questioning of his client's knee injury from Kings coach Eric Musselman, Artest had a blunt message for anyone who thinks he's faking it.

"They can all ... , really," Artest said, using a vulgar phrase. "That's how I really feel about it."

The situation, according to Kings coach Eric Musselman, was no more than a misunderstanding. When asked 45 minutes before Wednesday's home game against Charlotte about Artest's whereabouts, he said he didn't know where his small forward was.

But Musselman had altered his routine of spending most of his pre-game time in the locker room, talking for approximately 30 minutes on the Arco Arena floor with Charlotte coach Bernie Bickerstaff and Jim Brovelli, Musselman's former college coach at the University of San Diego.

What's more, Musselman said, with players scattered about from the floor to the training room to chapel, he doesn't address them as a unit until 35 minutes before tipoff.

As for his comment of "His knees, I guess," when asked about Artest's injury, Musselman said he was more concerned with which players were available to him than the reasons why one wasn't and that medical issues are the territory of the training staff.

"He didn't have to answer," Artest said. "I guess he should've just asked the trainer what's wrong, because it makes it look like I'm just not playing. I was kind of upset about it, but it doesn't matter. All I worry about is getting healthy."

Musselman and Artest met before the game and resolved the issue, the coach said.

An hour before Saturday night's game at Portland, Artest said he was considering not playing against the Blazers because of his knees, but he started. The soreness, Artest said, is in both knees.

"They just feel awkward," he said.

One-on-one
- Among the many odd sights after the Kings' win over the Lakers on Friday night was Artest joining the media contingent.

He grabbed a reporter's tape recorder and made his way toward Kevin Martin, who already was speaking to a small group.

"Kevin, why do you take so many shots?" Artest said with a laugh.

Martin fired back: "Because I learned from you."

Moments before, Artest had been praising Martin in an interview outside the locker room.

"(Martin's) a star in the making," he said. "He's perfect for the league. He's averaging 20 (points), and he's doing that on a team with me, Mike (Bibby) and Brad (Miller), so imagine if he had his own team. He'd be averaging 27 or 28 points."

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at samick@sacbee.com.

Ron seems to have that soreness in his knees very often. I hope that this isn't something that could be a lot more serious.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And so it begins. Artest just basically told the coach to F off.....you just can't do it, even if you think what he did was wrong.
I don't think so. I think Artest was rightfully a little upset about how things were handled, but I'd put the blame on the media more than Artest or Musselman. Once again, the Bee seems to want to go out of its way to try and find controversy. And if they can't find any, I don't think they're above trying to create some of their own - especially by approaching volatile players and tossing loaded questions at them.

Having said all that, I do agree that Artest shouldn't be telling the coach to eff off...at least not publicly.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think Artest was rightfully a little upset about how things were handled, but I'd put the blame on the media more than Artest or Musselman. Once again, the Bee seems to want to go out of its way to try and find controversy. And if they can't find any, I don't think they're above trying to create some of their own - especially by approaching volatile players and tossing loaded questions at them.
Ok I agree with the whole Bee thing, but you still can't ever throw your coach into a group that you're telling to F off.

Ok I agree with the whole Bee thing, but you still can't ever throw your coach into a group that you're telling to F off.
Sure you can... Ron goes out and gives 110% almost every night (there were a few games when he was in a funk) and plays noticeably injured. To be called in the way that Musselman did it should pee him off.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Artest did. I think Amick might have written his article so it sounds that way but I think Artest's comment was more in response to a "What do you have to say to anyone who thinks you're faking?" question than to an actual question about Muss.

Amick took the comments from Artest's agent the day before and merged it into the article, giving the opinion it was all continual. I don't think it was...

I simply do not trust the Bee to report things like this without trying to create more of a stir than is actually called for...

Ron is completely justified for thinking what he thinks about people questioning his toughness and injury (Musselman doesn't fall under that). It's simply pathetic.

No one knows his body but himself and partly some from the trainers, his toughness is proven, and his sore knees have been coming into effect sometimes since the fall.

VF21 said:
I don't think Artest did. I think Amick might have written his article so it sounds that way but I think Artest's comment was more in response to a "What do you have to say to anyone who thinks you're faking?" question than to an actual question about Muss.

Amick took the comments from Artest's agent the day before and merged it into the article, giving the opinion it was all continual. I don't think it was...

I simply do not trust the Bee to report things like this without trying to create more of a stir than is actually called for...
Exactly! *applaud emoticon*

Muss said "His knees, I guess" because he wasn't totally sure, and went on whatever lesser amount he knew than what Ron and the trainers knew about why he was out.

Overall, in reality (not the Bee's attempted spin (once again) ), it's not much of significance and was cleared up.

Won't someone please silence that infernal ticking?
I don't see any indication of joking or non-serious... so

Sad, indeed...

You're getting sucked in by the media, and overreacting to a insignificant matter that was cleared up.

Keep thinking about "ticking" if you want. But it'll be because of a limited perspective influenced by some past issues, and the semi-regular media spin and speculation attempts.

*yawns all over the floor*

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ron has no use for Muss. That has been made clear again and again. pretending he didn't aim this comment at Muss is silly. The whole damn interview stemmed from a Muss quote. But given that Ron treates his dogs with more respect than he does his coach anyway, not sure this adds much to what we already know. Its highly unlikely both men will be in Sacto by the time 08-09 rolls around. Just a question of who, or of whether its both.

Ron has no use for Muss. That has been made clear again and again. pretending he didn't aim this comment at Muss is silly. The whole damn interview stemmed from a Muss quote. But given that Ron treates his dogs with more respect than he does his coach anyway, not sure this adds much to what we already know. Its highly unlikely both men will be in Sacto by the time 08-09 rolls around. Just a question of who, or of whether its both.
Exactly. Ron and most of the players on this team dislike Muss/don't care for him and it's quite obvious. Honestly I doubt Muss is the coach next year and I don't know if Ron will still be here. To ignore it is just... I dunno.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think you're right about Artest. His agent's comments about Muss said volumes. Basically it's been a piling on Muss contest over the last few weeks. My bet is on Muss. I think the King's train has been leaving Artest's station for a while now. The train is led mostly by Martin and Bibby because Muss seems to be coaching/substituting in such a way as to make them more integral to the offense as Artest seems to become less integral. And Artest's recent injuries have led him to be more on the periphey, as Martin and Bibby have shined. lOverall, the team is starting to play well, which bodes well for Muss. Of course, if they crash and burn at the end, then Muss is probably done.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Exactly. Ron and most of the players on this team dislike Muss/don't care for him and it's quite obvious. Honestly I doubt Muss is the coach next year and I don't know if Ron will still be here. To ignore it is just... I dunno.
Being a good coach isn't a popularity contest, especially among adolescent multi-millionares. The key question is: Are they playing hard? That's 80% of being a good coach in the NBA. I've seen nothing to indicate that the team is not playing hard. On the contrary, just the opposite. Martin admitted that he was mad at the coach 5 games ago (and also, himself). Did he play less hard, less ably after that game? No. Just the opposite. He got tickedr at himself and his coach and he went out there in the next 5 games and "showed him". Martin played hard because he didn't like what Musselman did, benching him for most of the game. He DIDN'T LIKE HIM. And what happened? He's been playing great. As far as I'm concerned they can all not like them if they channel their anger like Martin. And at the end of the day, if Martin gets a few more of the best in West awards, he'll start liking Muss -- A LOT.