DeMar DeRozan Rumor

In fairness to HB, he's not the first or second or even third option here in SAC. Meanwhile DDR was the 1st or at the very least 2nd option on most nights in CHI, so the production and stats should heavily favor him.

Furthermore, if/when DDR comes here, he won't be posting near as many games with those numbers due to sharing the ball a lot more with Swipa, Domas, Keegan and Monk.

That said, I agree that the KINGS should see more consistency out of DDR than they did with HB. It's a personality/drive thing. DDR is more alpha than beta while HB is more beta than alpha. As a result, DDR won't defer and be as passive as often.

Last edited:
Don’t love our chances if the competition is LA. And my hopes are already up.
Yeah, bunches of people trolling on social media that DDR is choosing LAC. Good, great, grand, wonderful for him if that's what he chooses, but that team won't be better than the KINGS. They really weren't last season, except for the injury to Monk that led to the late-season decline.

Losing Paul George for DDR doesn't make that team any better, and we all know Kawhi will miss lots of time. He usually does these days.

The Clips are going to be worse than last season and the KINGS will be better (assuming health from the core). So good luck to DDR or whomever chooses the Clips over the KINGS.

Interesting…

What if the idea is to trade for a 3&D starting PF and to have DeRozan come off the bench with Monk?

You’d have to resign him next year, but I could see the combined salary between Finney-Smith and DeRozan work cap wise when we have to give new contracts to Fox, Murray, and Ellis.

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Carter / Jones
SF - Murray / DeRozan / Duarte
PF - Finney-Smith / Lyles / McDaniels
C - Sabonis / Len

That team has a lot of interesting and versatile lineups to play with…
  • All Offense: Fox-Monk-DeRozan-Murray-Sabonis
  • All Defense: Fox-Ellis/Carter-Murray-DFS-Len
  • All Ball-Handlers: Fox-Ellis-Carter-DeRozan-Sabonis
  • All Shooting: Monk-Ellis-Murray-DFS-Lyles
  • All Rebounding: Fox-Carter-Murray-Lyles-Sabonis
  • Size Lineup: DeRozan-Murray-DFS-Lyles-Sabonis
  • Free Throw Lineup: Fox-Monk-Ellis-DeRozan-Murray
It would be really nice to have someone as reliable as DeRozan to take free throws at the end of a game. He’s shot 86.9% over the last 4 seasons (2,168 total FTA) and he shot 85.2% for his career in the playoffs (426 total FTA).

On a somewhat unrelated note, DFS has been an absolute sniper from 3 in the playoffs. In 35 playoff games, he’s shooting 41.7% from 3 on 5.5 3PA per 36 min and 45.2% from the corner 3. That would be nice to have vs. what we saw from Huerter & Barnes in the GSW series.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting…

What if the idea is to trade for a 3&D starting PF and to have DeRozan come off the bench with Monk?

You’d have to resign him next year, but I could see the combined salary between Finney-Smith and DeRozan work cap wise when we have to give new contracts to Fox, Murray, and Ellis.

PG - Fox / Monk
C - Sabonis / Len

I think you'd have a hard sell for DeRozan to accept a bench role, at least initially. I agree he and Monk would be 2/3 of an absolutely killer 8 man rotation with the starters, but likely not next season. If the Kings trade for DDR (and assuming Keegan isn't part of a subsequent move) I think you're looking at Fox, Ellis, DeRozan, Murray, and Sabonis as your starting 5.

BUT, assuming it's Huerter that goes out in the S&T deal, that does give you HB as your 3/4 reserve which is also an upgrade.

I think you'd have a hard sell for DeRozan to accept a bench role, at least initially. I agree he and Monk would be 2/3 of an absolutely killer 8 man rotation with the starters, but likely not next season. If the Kings trade for DDR (and assuming Keegan isn't part of a subsequent move) I think you're looking at Fox, Ellis, DeRozan, Murray, and Sabonis as your starting 5.

BUT, assuming it's Huerter that goes out in the S&T deal, that does give you HB as your 3/4 reserve which is also an upgrade.
I mean if he gets the salary range he’s after and gets to play 32+ min a game, I think it’s a pretty good sell.

Also, 2 years ago, he was the best player on a Bulls team that lost 4-1 in the 1st round of the playoffs. He’s now 2 years older (will be 35 at the start of the season). I don’t think selling him on a “super-sub” bench role is out of the question considering where he’s at in his career.

Again, the tweet mentioned DeRozan and another move. If we bring in a guy like DFS as that other move, I could see the minute breakdown being something like…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - Ellis (26) / Monk (14) / Carter (8)
SF - Murray (16) / DeRozan (32)
PF - DFS (26) / Murray (16) / Lyles (6)
C - Sabonis (34) / Len (10) / Lyles (4)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
DeRozan = 32 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 26 min
DFS = 26 min
Lyles = 10 min
Len = 10 min
Carter = 8 min

Interesting…

PG - Fox / Monk
C - Sabonis / Len

It would be really nice to have someone as reliable as DeRozan to take free throws at the end of a game. He’s shot 86.9% over the last 4 seasons (2,168 total FTA) and he shot 85.2% for his career in the playoffs (426 total FTA).

On a somewhat unrelated note, DFS has been an absolute sniper from 3 in the playoffs. In 35 playoff games, he’s shooting 41.7% from 3 on 5.5 3PA per 36 min and 45.2% from the corner 3. That would be nice to have vs. what we saw from Huerter & Barnes in the GSW series.
No Duarte, should not be on roster.

Well we are officially less than 2 hours away from the end of the nba moratorium at which time any sign and trade deals that have been been agreed to will be able to be announced.

I mean if he gets the salary range he’s after and gets to play 32+ min a game, I think it’s a pretty good sell.

Also, 2 years ago, he was the best player on a Bulls team that lost 4-1 in the 1st round of the playoffs. He’s now 2 years older (will be 35 at the start of the season). I don’t think selling him on a “super-sub” bench role is out of the question considering where he’s at in his career.

Again, the tweet mentioned DeRozan and another move. If we bring in a guy like DFS as that other move, I could see the minute breakdown being something like…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - Ellis (26) / Monk (14) / Carter (8)
SF - Murray (16) / DeRozan (32)
PF - DFS (26) / Murray (16) / Lyles (6)
C - Sabonis (34) / Len (10) / Lyles (4)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
DeRozan = 32 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 26 min
DFS = 26 min
Lyles = 10 min
Len = 10 min
Carter = 8 min
you could well be right but highlights the development problem with yet another small guard. Carter needs more than 8 spot minutes to develop. My guess is he spends more time at Stockton.

you could well be right but highlights the development problem with yet another small guard. Carter needs more than 8 spot minutes to develop. My guess is he spends more time at Stockton.
Cream rises to the top.

If Carter shows out in his small role, we can easily reduce minutes for Lyles and reallocate that to Carter to give him a larger role.

It’s also not a bad thing to take a couple minutes away from Fox, Monk, and/or Ellis to keep everyone fresh for the playoff run.

I know it’s early but I was hoping we would have heard the news by now. Did DLo jump the gun? Was his tweet misinterpreted? I know the deal technically can’t be signed until 1201 Eastern but it can still be announced. Get it done!

Cream rises to the top.

If Carter shows out in his small role, we can easily reduce minutes for Lyles and reallocate that to Carter to give him a larger role.

It’s also not a bad thing to take a couple minutes away from Fox, Monk, and/or Ellis to keep everyone fresh for the playoff run.
you are kidding right? Carter has the smallest standing reach on the team. He has zero chance of taking minutes from Lyles. I don’t care how high he jumps.

Fox is shooting for All NBA, Monk for 6th man and Ellis is hands down our best defender and may well be a candidate for most improved.

you are kidding right? Carter has the smallest standing reach on the team. He has zero chance of taking minutes from Lyles. I don’t care how high he jumps.

Fox is shooting for All NBA, Monk for 6th man and Ellis is hands down our best defender and may well be a candidate for most improved.
He can’t play PF, also he doesn’t have the smallest standing reach in the team.