DeMar DeRozan Rumor

Carter can’t play the three any better than Malik can. Malik has the same vert and a better standing reach and failed in Charlotte as a 2 because he wasn’t big enough. It wasn’t until he became a 1-2 and worked on his passing skills he became as valuable as he his. Carter has many of his same attributes.
You’re so fixated on certain attributes that you fail to assess all attributes when coming to your conclusion.
  • For starters, Carter plays and looks much stronger than Monk. That’s really important when playing up to the 3. That strength and toughness allows guys like Smart, Holiday, Dort, etc. to play up and defend 3s in short stretches.
  • Carter has a 5.25” wingspan advantage over Monk. That’s another major difference between these two players and allows him to be very pesty on the ball. Even Fox was switched onto some 3s last year and you saw how he used his wingspan, quickness, and hands to disrupt the bigger player attempting to back him down. Now imagine someone that is stronger and longer than Fox who has excellent quickness/anticipation do the same thing.
  • Monk does not have the defensive instincts and skills that Carter has. That’s important when defending multiple positions. If you’re great at defending PGs and SGs but good at defending SFs, is that a reason to not play Carter up at SF for short stretches? In Monk’s case, he’s a below average defender at PG/SG and he’s probably a bad defender at SF. We don’t want him to defend SFs because we’re trying to minimize his negative attributes. The point is that defensive versatility has a lot to do with actually being good at defense.
  • Carter is a significantly better rebounder than Monk. One of the drawbacks of having small guys flex up to defend up a position is that it also hurts you on the boards. That’s not really the case with Carter.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I do. HB still showed us he's got scoring chops and can still shoot, I just don't think he's got the lateral quickness to defend starters anymore. Put him in a 20 MPG role where he's a primary scoring option off the bench and he'll be competing for a 6MOY award
I'm not quite that high on Barnes in a bench role, but I definitely think he'd do better in a smaller and more focused role. Last season if Monk didn't have it going it was a rough night overall because the Kings bench as a whole struggled to score consistently. Putting HB in that second unit with the goal of being aggressive on offense will likely pay dividends.

HB is still very effective when he decides to attack the basket and he's still a very good shooter.

My guess is spurs would want Lyles to make the deal happen.

Former Spur, familiar with Pop's system. Talented player, good contract.

Barnes deficiencies can be made up for with Wemby, plus $ works out, bit there is something we don't see rn.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re so fixated on certain attributes that you fail to assess all attributes when coming to your conclusion.
  • For starters, Carter plays and looks much stronger than Monk. That’s really important when playing up to the 3. That strength and toughness allows guys like Smart, Holiday, Dort, etc. to play up and defend 3s in short stretches.
  • Carter has a 5.25” wingspan advantage over Monk. That’s another major difference between these two players and allows him to be very pesty on the ball. Even Fox was switched onto some 3s last year and you saw how he used his wingspan, quickness, and hands to disrupt the bigger player attempting to back him down. Now imagine someone that is stronger than Fox with a longer wingspan and excellent quickness do the same thing.
  • Monk does not have the defensive instincts and skills that Carter has. That’s important when defending multiple positions. If you’re great at defending PGs and SGs but good at defending SFs, is that a reason to not play Carter up at SF for short stretches? In Monk’s case, he’s a below average defender at PG/SG and he’s probably a bad defender at SF. We don’t want him to defend SFs because we’re trying to minimize his negative attributes. The point is that defensive versatility has a lot to do with actually being good at defense.
  • Carter is a significantly better rebounder than Monk. One of the drawbacks of having small guys flex up to defend up a position is that it also hurts you on the boards. That’s not really the case with Carter.
Devin Carter is an inch shorter, but otherwise had nearly identical measurements to Bruce Brown in terms of wingspan, standing reach, and weight. But Carter tested out as more athletic across the board. His lane agility, 3/4 sprint, and shuttle run weren't just better, but significantly faster in each case. And he had a 35" standing vertical and 42" max vertical compared to 32.5" and 38" for Brown respectively.

If Bruce Brown can be very effective guarding SFs for stretches (or even the majority of his minutes) I see zero reason why Carter can't also.

I think he's better off guarding 1's and 2's, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think he can't guard up when needed. Side note, Marcus Smart has roughly the same height, wingspan, and standing reach as Carter, but he came into the NBA at 227 lbs to Carter's 193 lbs. So I do think that's a bit of a different story.

you I will bet he can’t guard the three. But we have to agree on how to define it.
Well we already have our Carter rotation player bet right? Just my luck he went to our team!

It's not perfect, but maybe we use ball ref position breakdown. I don't think he can guard 3s full time either, but I'm very confident he can flex down at times and certainly be fine in switches

If Spurs waive or move Bassey they have about 17.5 in cap space (after 11 to cp3) by my uneducated count. That would be enough for Huerter but not enough for Barnes salary.

Am I missing something?

I understand that Kings fans are not used to the franchise being in a position to acquire significant talent all that often, but everybody needs to relax. This is how it goes everywhere else. Players weigh their options, visit teams, experience cities, get a feel for their comfort level with facilities, front offices, and coaching staffs. Most deals don't get done the minute a moratorium ends in this league. I've posted the links before, but track down readily available information on significant trades and sign-and-trades across the last few seasons. You'll notice many significant acquisitions occurring well after July 6th. Maybe something happens this weekend, maybe it doesn't. But movement doesn't end just because a moratorium does. Goodness. Get a grip, friends.
I don’t want to relax, I want to be irrationally upset and easily triggered.

There is too much media for this to be a leverage play. This is the kings to lose only way this doesn’t play out is if something really bad happens at the end.

While DeMar is older than I'd like, he's still productive and should have a couple years left in him. And he's about as good as we can hope to get in Sacramento.

Hopefully there's not much going out in return, but he should make us better in the short term.

Hmm...

Is there a way to not to have to deal HB or Huerter and keep them for a different deal? Would Lyles/Duarte be enough to absorb ddr back?
Maybe that's what the meeting is for...telling DeRozen to take a bit less so we can use Huerter and Barnes for another deal? Because why would they need to meet if financially already worked out. It's not like DeRozen have many teams he's interested in lol.