DeMar DeRozan Rumor

I know the fit is a little weird but the dude is a straight baller and one of the best clutch scorers of this century. I feel like that probably has to count for something
It's a little strange but not really at all when you consider he pretty much solves all the Kings ISO needs. Last season he was actually better than Fox in ISO. DDR was tied for 4th in the entire league in points per possession in isolation. I think we are definitely seeing a team starting to build towards needs. First defense with Keon and Carter and now the ability to alleviate the scoring burden placed on Fox. If this goes through I think we are going to see Brown imprinting more of his desires into the game plan as they move away from relying on DHO so much with a larger focus on defensive personnel.

I guess, because DDR played 9 years for Toronto and last 3 years in Chicago most of the West coast bball fans have no clue what kind of player he is.
You want him to start and take shots away from others? Nuts.
What are you even going on about? Derozan would be the only player not named Monk or Fox who could create their own shot on this team. Our problem the last 2 years has been a lack of creativity going one on one. And who would he be taking shots from? Barnes? Huerter? Davion? Sasha? Javale? Duarte?

It sounds promising, I see mostly good things about DeRozan as a player and hear nothing but good things about him as a person.
Still, sounds like we have a ways to go to make it happen unless Chicago s truly enamoured with Huerter and willing to take on his salary. Otherwise, from what im reading Detroit and Utah are the two teams that can comfortably eat that salary and id assume they will play hardball to facilitate our trade.

gunks

Hall of Famer
What are you even going on about? Derozan would be the only player not named Monk or Fox who could create their own shot on this team. Our problem the last 2 years has been a lack of creativity going one on one. And who would he be taking shots from? Barnes? Huerter? Davion? Sasha? Javale? Duarte?
I mean, HB can create his own shot when he decides to. I could actually see him being a solid 16ppg guy for Chi if we send him there and he's expected to do more than collect a paycheck and coast as a 4/5th option.

Totally agree with you though, and that's why I've come around to DD. We need a bucket getter when the spray 3s are clanking.

Kings were

20-7 when HB scored 15 or more points

24-7 when Keegan scored 20 or more

11-4 when Huerter scored more than 15

Point being, having another reliable scorer who can contribute 20 a game is massive for the Kings. Perhaps the difference between 46-48 win pace and a 55-56 win pace. DeRozan isn’t a guy “capable” of it. He can give you that good HB night every night.

DeRozan isn’t really declining either despite his age. This would be a very consequential addition. It likely won’t cost the Kings any picks, it will leave one of HB or Huerter to use in another trade to address other weaknesses.

His record of availability is good.

I’ll be pretty happy with him

Every night? That's an exaggeration - he may be more consistent on offense, but age is cetrtainly an issue - 35 yro in Aug this year is a heightened injury risk. Kings are gonna have to manage his minutes and role - my guess is his mins are cut to 28 to 32 min and his ppg in the high teens. Luckily the Kings won't need the high scoring just the efficiency.

He is 35 years old I don’t see the Intrigue
I agree with the general sentiment of this, but the risk is worth it with Huerter so inconsistent last year. Derozen would pair up with Barnes with being a veteran player on the team (assuming Barnes isn't traded a big assumption.) As long as Brown manages Derozen's mins well, should be ok at least 1 or 2 seasons. 3rd season should be a team option.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Every night? That's an exaggeration - he may be more consistent on offense, but age is cetrtainly an issue - 35 yro in Aug this year is a heightened injury risk. Kings are gonna have to manage his minutes and role - my guess is his mins are cut to 28 to 32 min and his ppg in the high teens. Luckily the Kings won't need the high scoring just the efficiency.
Is age really an issue? He led the NBA in minutes played last season (Sabonis was #2). We're talking about a 3 year / $20-25 million per year contract for a player who has played in almost every game for Chicago between 2021 and 2024 and is coming off a stretch of averaging around 25, 5 and 5 in his three years with the Bulls. That's as big of a no-brainer as there is.

Based on his career history he's as much of a lock for 20ppg and top 10 FTA as anyone else in the league next year. I would expect his shot attempts to trend down if he has to share the load on a deeper roster like the Kings have now, but the same is true for every player. Talking about a guy who has been an Iron Man out there for most of his career and literally led the league in minutes played this past season like he's damaged goods is an odd take.

This isn't directed at you specifically... but the general attitude around Kings fan land this summer has been a major bummer. I don't understand the whining about Mike Brown being supposedly mid-tier. I don't understand the whining about Devin Carter being just another guard. I don't understand the whining about Monte being inactive. And I don't understand the whining about DeRozan being "too old" or not long enough. Okay maybe none of these guys are perfect, but can we lower our standards back down to the realm of reality long enough to feel excited about the Kings being good again?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Based on his career history he's as much of a lock for 20ppg and top 10 FTA as anyone else in the league next year.
Kings-reffing or no Kings-reffing, there's no way that DeRozan would be denied opportunities at the line for wearing purple. And if he comes and gets calls, that could shift the whole ref dynamic for us.

I don’t see how it can be an exaggeration based on all available data..he is easily one of the most consistent offensive players of his generation and since “good HB thus excellent Kings” mark is 15+ as noted..even a significant fall from his average would be huge

Would DeRozan be a 12ppg guy with the occasional 20-25 point burst? Or somebody that averages between 17-21ppg with an occasional 30-40 burst in what we expect would be a reduced role from what he is used to? Just an average of 17-21 as well as what he brings situationally is major for the Kings. The difference between a team that wins in the mid to high 40’s to a shoo in.

as far as breaking down, that’s a wild assumption in a post that lead off suggesting I was exaggerating the offensive output from a career mid 20’s scorer. An assumption regarding a player known for his durability and has shown no signs of breaking down.

Is age really an issue? He led the NBA in minutes played last season (Sabonis was #2). We're talking about a 3 year / $20-25 million per year contract for a player who has played in almost every game for Chicago between 2021 and 2024 and is coming off a stretch of averaging around 25, 5 and 5 in his three years with the Bulls. That's as big of a no-brainer as there is.

Based on his career history he's as much of a lock for 20ppg and top 10 FTA as anyone else in the league next year. I would expect his shot attempts to trend down if he has to share the load on a deeper roster like the Kings have now, but the same is true for every player. Talking about a guy who has been an Iron Man out there for most of his career and literally led the league in minutes played this past season like he's damaged goods is an odd take.

This isn't directed at you specifically... but the general attitude around Kings fan land this summer has been a major bummer. I don't understand the whining about Mike Brown being supposedly mid-tier. I don't understand the whining about Devin Carter being just another guard. I don't understand the whining about Monte being inactive. And I don't understand the whining about DeRozan being "too old" or not long enough. Okay maybe none of these guys are perfect, but can we lower our standards back down to the realm of reality long enough to feel excited about the Kings being good again?
A freaking men

The heat has gotten to some of us.

If as it is said Chicago is not interested in receive any kind of salary back in the S&T and we need to look for a 3rd team with salary cap space I hope we find a way to involve the Pistons and include Isaiah Stewart in the deal. I think DeRozan and Stewart would be a fantastic pair to add to the team, and I would even trade a 1st round pick and a couple of 2nds to make it possible.

Kings: DeRozan (22/3) and Stewart (15/4)

Pistons: Huerter (17/2) Lyles (8/1) Duarte (6/1) and SAC 2028 1st (top10 protected)

Bulls: SAC 2026 2nd and SAC 2027 2nd

Bravo! Thank you!!!

Father Time is undefeated.

I like the premise. Let’s see what the deal is and then I’ll decide if it’s in our favor. Hope it works out. He would go a long way to shoring up some of our biggest issues. Can solve our issues when our DHO stalls, improves our FT% significantly along with the rate, and adds another clutch guy (“the” clutch guy?) in late game situations. Teams will absolutely have to respect him; no leaving him alone out there or pay the price.

If he's on the Kings, will Mark Jones say that DeMar put the 3 point shot in the friend zone as he does his baseline iso shot from 15ft? If so, I'm all in.

Seriously, I'd be happy just because he shoots above 75% from the line... We all know he will only get 50% as many attempts from there as a King, but at least we'd have someone to ice games from the line.