DeMar DeRozan Rumor

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What would a clippers s&t even look like? We at least have the salaries to make it work
They could trade Norm Powell for him straight up assuming he’s getting Around 20 mil a season with his new deal. Not sure why they’d do that if they’re trying to win though. They could also package PJ Tucker’s salary with one of Zubac or Mann bur once again not sure why you’d do that if you’re trying to win.

Pessimist in me thinks we are being used for leverage and he goes to LA….
Not without merit for sure. 35 year old DDR agreeing to sign here would be the highest profile UFA ever to agree to a contract here in the Sacramento era. With Vlade/Monk/HB right behind them, which is dang sad considering the talent pool teams like LAL/MIA/NYK get to pool from.

Father Time is undefeated.
Of course, but as of last year it doesn’t suggest it’s going to happen overnight. I predict a 3 year deal with year 3 being a player option. I would certainly bet on the worst case scenario being the first year is as good as last year, year 2 he declines and year 3 he picks up the player option because he just doesn’t have it anymore. More likely he opts out of the third year looking for another 2-3 year deal to end his career.

Well, sounds like Monte's trying to take his one shot.
Yeah, I think he probably sees he's got 2 years to get himself some real long-term job security. He's safe next season, but if we regress or stall out hard again, I think his seat gets real real hot 2 years from now. That's also when the Fox/Keegan extension come into play, in which we won't have the same flexibility to make moves.

That's not to say go be stupid and make a dumb short-term thinking move, but I hope he realizes he can't just sit back and be patient for too much longer.

Would Brooklyn Nets do a Cam Johnson trade? I'll do that if we can't get Ingram and Johnson is a better defender and overall seem to be the better player. He fits the Kings style and a lethal shooter from 3s. He's only $23mil. I mean if they got rid of Bridges, surely they're going to move him, right?

I wonder if that other deal is with some kind of MLE usage. If the Kings can send more salary out than the first year of DDR's contract they could open up the full MLE too.
Is carmichaeldave still pretty up to date and informative on Twitter? He blocked me a few years back we had disagreement over Grant Napier firing

Eh. 35-year-old scorer who can’t/doesn’t shoot 3s (I don’t want to hear about how he can shoot 3s…. It’s the same people telling me that Sabonis can too).

The floor spacing would be atrocious and the defense wouldn’t be improved, but I don’t think Monte can afford to go into next season without making a big move.

That’s the only reason why I would be semi-ok with this. Our current team isn’t working and I can’t be mad at him if he tries something else.

Don’t think we should give up a 1st though.
I get the fit concerns but there is no perfect fit available. Markkanen is the closest thing to that (that's available) but it seems like Utah wants about half a dozen first rounders and that's just not realistic. Both BI and DDR have similar games, albeit BI is a bit better from outside. DDR is at least durable.

After watching games once Keon entered the starting lineup, I really don't think defense was the Kings problem anymore. Yeah it could always be better but they were losing games pretty much entirely on their 3pt shooting. If they were on, they won. If they were off, they lost.

Even though the floor spacing won't be as good, one thing I do like is that DDR's game isn't dependent on whether or not he's hot or cold from outside. He just does his thing, pretty damn consistently. The Kings could have used him those nights where they couldn't buy a bucket from the outside and just needed to put points on the board.

The move would also move Keegan over to the 4, which I don't like but I really do think that he needs to get stronger and hold down the 4 because I feel like that's going to be his best position moving forward.

Eh. 35-year-old scorer who can’t/doesn’t shoot 3s (I don’t want to hear about how he can shoot 3s…. It’s the same people telling me that Sabonis can too).

The floor spacing would be atrocious and the defense wouldn’t be improved, but I don’t think Monte can afford to go into next season without making a big move.

That’s the only reason why I would be semi-ok with this. Our current team isn’t working and I can’t be mad at him if he tries something else.

Don’t think we should give up a 1st though.
What is a move you'd like to do or think the Kings should have done?

I also don't think it's a glove fit with DDR, but I think it can work.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What is a move you'd like to do or think the Kings should have done?

I also don't think it's a glove fit with DDR, but I think it can work.
Talent is talent. If talent wants to come to Sacramento, you take it and run with it.

It’s not like DDR will become an untradeable poison albatross the second he signs in the off-chance it completely faceplants and we need to pivot fast.

Is age really an issue? He led the NBA in minutes played last season (Sabonis was #2). We're talking about a 3 year / $20-25 million per year contract for a player who has played in almost every game for Chicago between 2021 and 2024 and is coming off a stretch of averaging around 25, 5 and 5 in his three years with the Bulls. That's as big of a no-brainer as there is.

Based on his career history he's as much of a lock for 20ppg and top 10 FTA as anyone else in the league next year. I would expect his shot attempts to trend down if he has to share the load on a deeper roster like the Kings have now, but the same is true for every player. Talking about a guy who has been an Iron Man out there for most of his career and literally led the league in minutes played this past season like he's damaged goods is an odd take.

This isn't directed at you specifically... but the general attitude around Kings fan land this summer has been a major bummer. I don't understand the whining about Mike Brown being supposedly mid-tier. I don't understand the whining about Devin Carter being just another guard. I don't understand the whining about Monte bein g inactive. And I don't understand the whining about DeRozan being "too old" or not long enough. Okay maybe none of these guys are perfect, but can we lower our standards back down to the realm of reality long enough to feel excited about the Kings being good again?
35 yro for most professional athletes is getting towards the end of career - that's just a fact. Average age in the NBA is 26. It could be he avoids significant injury this year, but the odds are stacking against - and there is heightened risk of injury with age increasing. Leonard is 2 years younger, and has significant (chronic) injury problems. Realistically Derozen has 2 maybe 3 years left in his professional NBA career. Stars of yester-year often become role players in old age - if they're lucky - there's a whole bunch of examples - and a very small few manage to continue high performance the right side of 35. It is a consideration/risk. I'm ok with the trade for a 3 year contract as long as Kings have the team option 3rd year.

Talent is talent. If talent wants to come to Sacramento, you take it and run with it.

It’s not like DDR will become an untradeable poison albatross the second he signs in the off-chance it completely faceplants and we need to pivot fast.
I also like the "security" in it. We don't have to screw around with a BI extension (that almost certainly will be a massive overpay), a Lauri extension (worth, but what's the cost to acquire him and do we get that extension immediately?) and DDR is clearly a better player than Kuz/Grant/LaVine tier of player.

He's a bridge to the Keegan/Fox extension where we hopefully have clarity if Keegan really is "that guy".

If there is another deal attached to this I do t think it will be for a kuzma, Ingram, Lauri. Could be cam Johnson or DFS type. Chicago is gonna have to take something back from somebody I’d imagine. Maybe a 6-14 mil 1 year contract. Maybe Dennis schredor

I also like the "security" in it. We don't have to screw around with a BI extension (that almost certainly will be a massive overpay), a Lauri extension (worth, but what's the cost to acquire him and do we get that extension immediately?) and DDR is clearly a better player than Kuz/Grant/LaVine tier of player.

He's a bridge to the Keegan/Fox extension where we hopefully have clarity if Keegan really is "that guy".
I’m skeptical on if Keegan can be “that guy”. No killer instinct no madness in him. He needs something to set him on fire just a bit. He needs a wife lol