DeMar DeRozan Rumor

Get this done TOMORROW. DDR just left a team filled with players that are injured all the time, does he really want to go to another one? do the Clips really want THREE old guys? One or two is fine but all three of your core? What’s the ceiling of that trio with no cap space, young assets or picks to improve?

he’s a better fit with the kings, don’t do it DDR

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
35 yro for most professional athletes is getting towards the end of career - that's just a fact. Average age in the NBA is 26. It could be he avoids significant injury this year, but the odds are stacking against - and there is heightened risk of injury with age increasing. Leonard is 2 years younger, and has significant (chronic) injury problems. Realistically Derozen has 2 maybe 3 years left in his professional NBA career. Stars of yester-year often become role players in old age - if they're lucky - there's a whole bunch of examples - and a very small few manage to continue high performance the right side of 35. It is a consideration/risk. I'm ok with the trade for a 3 year contract as long as Kings have the team option 3rd year.
Yeah but you're just talking about players in general. Show me some evidence that DeRozan in particular is an injury risk. Half the point here is that DeRozan is an All-NBA level player who is potentially available to us right now because of his age. He's not a guy who might grow into that or who was once at that level, he's there right now. If he's only got three years of high level performance left, that's perfect for our situation. Hopefully we can help each other to get a championship in those three years. We don't need to be stacking superstars here, just find guys who fit into roles. DeRozan is an elite scorer and he gets to the line. That's enough to make this team better. We'll look elsewhere for our defensive stud.

The Kawhi thing is a particularly poor comparison because these guys are exact opposites in terms of track record and mentality. Kawhi has had chronic knee issues for the last 5 years already and he refuses to play when he's in even mild discomfort. DeRozan is the type of player who if his leg isn't falling off he's going to play, he's said as much himself and his track record reflects that. Kawhi is an MVP on paper and a team killer in reality. And if DeRozan were prime Lebron he would already have signed with the Lakers. Why do you want to pick apart the best player available who has shown any interest in joining our team?

If there is another deal attached to this I do t think it will be for a kuzma, Ingram, Lauri. Could be cam Johnson or DFS type. Chicago is gonna have to take something back from somebody I’d imagine. Maybe a 6-14 mil 1 year contract. Maybe Dennis schredor
Why are ya all so interested in Kuzma? He doesn't do anything particular great. His 3pt average shooting is 34% (which is terrible). Even Davion Mitchell shoot better than him last year (36%). His steal average is .5 which is bad. His FT % is 73% (which is not good). His player efficiency rating is around 14 which is average. His defensive box plus/minus is at least -1.0 (which is bad). If anything he did good is rebounding and offensive rebound which he got about 1 per game (not great). But he couldn't block, couldn't steal...both average about .6 (which is not good). He's just a slightly above average player...which is what we have in Barnes and Huerter....why do you want another average player on the team? LOL. He attacked and go to the line but not as much as Barnes and since his FT% isn't great, it could hurt the team.

Last edited:
Why are ya all so interested in Kuzma? He doesn't do anything particular great. His 3pt average shooting is 34% (which is terrible). Even Davion Mitchell shoot better than him last year (36%). His steal average is .5 which is bad. His FT % is 73% (which is not good). His player efficiency rating is around 14 which is average. His defensive box plus/minus is at least -1.0 (which is bad). If anything he did good is rebounding and offensive rebound which he got about 1 per game (not great). But he couldn't block, couldn't steal...both average about .6 (which is not good). He's just a slightly above average player...which is what we have in Barnes and Huerter....why do you want another average player on the team? LOL. He attacked and go to the line but not as much as Barnes and since his FT% isn't great, it could hurt the team.
Well I said I don’t think it will be Kuzma ect… but cool write up. You should have offloaded that tirade on one of the many post vying for Kuzma maybe.

I got to thinking again. Chicago has to take some salary back somehow. If we were unloading salary upon somebody else we could just sign DDR as a free agent and not need Chicago’s involvement at all or am I wrong?

I don’t see how it can be an exaggeration based on all available data..he is easily one of the most consistent offensive players of his generation and since “good HB thus excellent Kings” mark is 15+ as noted..even a significant fall from his average would be huge

Would DeRozan be a 12ppg guy with the occasional 20-25 point burst? Or somebody that averages between 17-21ppg with an occasional 30-40 burst in what we expect would be a reduced role from what he is used to? Just an average of 17-21 as well as what he brings situationally is major for the Kings. The difference between a team that wins in the mid to high 40’s to a shoo in.

as far as breaking down, that’s a wild assumption in a post that lead off suggesting I was exaggerating the offensive output from a career mid 20’s scorer. An assumption regarding a player known for his durability and has shown no signs of breaking down.
I don’t see how it can be an exaggeration based on all available data..he is easily one of the most consistent offensive players of his generation and since “good HB thus excellent Kings” mark is 15+ as noted..even a significant fall from his average would be huge

Would DeRozan be a 12ppg guy with the occasional 20-25 point burst? Or somebody that averages between 17-21ppg with an occasional 30-40 burst in what we expect would be a reduced role from what he is used to? Just an average of 17-21 as well as what he brings situationally is major for the Kings. The difference between a team that wins in the mid to high 40’s to a shoo in.

as far as breaking down, that’s a wild assumption in a post that lead off suggesting I was exaggerating the offensive output from a career mid 20’s scorer. An assumption regarding a player known for his durability and has shown no signs of breaking down.
I dont see Derozan having Barnes good night every night - your posted assertion. There will be quite a few lower nights for Derozan - last season as being the Bulls #1 scorer he had around 8 games by a quick count. - that's the nature of statistical shooting. And who knows how and if Derozan will incorporate with the other main Kings offensive players, and if Derozan will translate to the high scorer on the Kings and what that might mean for his expected scoring averages.

I got to thinking again. Chicago has to take some salary back somehow. If we were unloading salary upon somebody else we could just sign DDR as a free agent and not need Chicago’s involvement at all or am I wrong?
I think only the team with his bird rights can actually facilitate a sign and trade. I’m sure they would end up taking some salary back but they would mostly only want whatever picks are flying around in the deal.

I don’t think anybody has the cap space left to sign DeRozan so Chicago is needed for him to get the salary he wants

I think only the team with his bird rights can actually facilitate a sign and trade. I’m sure they would end up taking some salary back but they would mostly only want whatever picks are flying around in the deal.

I don’t think anybody has the cap space left to sign DeRozan so Chicago is needed for him to get the salary he wants
Yeah thats what I’m thinking but if nobody has cap space how can a team absorb a Barnes or huerter contract? Because we would have to send out that range of salary in order to get DDR. I think that may be the hold up is finding a team that wants one of them and have an available player that Chicago actually wants.

Yeah thats what I’m thinking but if nobody has cap space how can a team absorb a Barnes or huerter contract? Because we would have to send out that range of salary in order to get DDR. I think that may be the hold up is finding a team that wants one of them and have an available player that Chicago actually wants.
Apparently that's already lined up, third team included. They say the ball is in DeMar's court now

Yeah but you're just talking about players in general. Show me some evidence that DeRozan in particular is an injury risk. Half the point here is that DeRozan is an All-NBA level player who is potentially available to us right now because of his age. He's not a guy who might grow into that or who was once at that level, he's there right now. If he's only got three years of high level performance left, that's perfect for our situation. Hopefully we can help each other to get a championship in those three years. We don't need to be stacking superstars here, just find guys who fit into roles. DeRozan is an elite scorer and he gets to the line. That's enough to make this team better. We'll look elsewhere for our defensive stud.

The Kawhi thing is a particularly poor comparison because these guys are exact opposites in terms of track record and mentality. Kawhi has had chronic knee issues for the last 5 years already and he refuses to play when he's in even mild discomfort. DeRozan is the type of player who if his leg isn't falling off he's going to play, he's said as much himself and his track record reflects that. Kawhi is an MVP on paper and a team killer in reality. And if DeRozan were prime Lebron he would already have signed ith the Lakers. Why do you want to pick apart the best player available who has shown any interest in joining our team?
Just not as sure about it, and his advanced age is certainly part of that. Its a bigger gamble. I'm ok with it depending on who and what is given up.

i don’t think it can happen if the Bulls don’t take on about half the salary. So it may be their preference but they’ll probably have to take a player that makes about $8 million. Like Trey or Duarte. While another team takes Huerter or HB and perhaps the Kings take on another salary.

An NYTimes article(paywalled) on potential DeRozan to the Kings mentioned Torrey Craig could also come to the Kings. The Bulls mostly just want to stay under the luxury tax threshold and would prefer a contract that ends after this coming season. Which I believe they are $11 million under now.

I’m not good with cap stuff or what flexibility or exceptions other partners could provide in the trade, but I’m pretty sure the Bulls couldn’t facilitate without taking on about half of what DeRozan is signing for next season.

Last edited:
Lol
I can see that. But I don’t have twitter and wasn’t sure if he’s just some random fan or not.
He’s been in Sacramento media for some time now. Was with 1140 previously, did his own podcast for a bit and now has an afternoon radio show “D-Lo and KC” on ESPN 1320. He has connections (as someone else mentioned Haynes) and broke some Kings news last year I believe.