IT = Rumor of 3/24 offer from Pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
IT thrived in a town known for revering its players and extolling them to reach ever higher. Yes, he's worked hard and he's made a name for himself, but it was due in at least part to the circumstances in Sacramento. I'm not at all sure he'll be able to duplicate that success anywhere else for the simple reason anywhere else isn't Sacramento.

I'll be sad to see him leave but I strongly believe he'll be just another player who looks back at the end of his career to see that his best days were as a King.

IT thrived in a town known for revering its players and extolling them to reach ever higher. Yes, he's worked hard and he's made a name for himself, but it was due in at least part to the circumstances in Sacramento. I'm not at all sure he'll be able to duplicate that success anywhere else for the simple reason anywhere else isn't Sacramento.

I'll be sad to see him leave but I strongly believe he'll be just another player who looks back at the end of his career to see that his best days were as a King.
As far as personal stats? Yes Sacramento(and last season in particular) will probably end up being his best on a pure statistical basis. However I think he's a guy that will win Championships(if he signs with the right team) in the molds of the Jason Terry's, Manu's etc. If he goes to the Lakers Kobe will absolutely LOVE IT and the attitude/swag he plays with. IT is a guy that outworked damn near every player to come through Sactown over the last 3-4 years in an environment that encouraged lazyness and conformity. His work ethic and attitude alone will make him a valuable asset for years(thats without mentioning the fact that he's a damn good player). Players like Derrick Williams are the guys that look back and wonder "wtf happend", like him or not IT is a go getter, and an intense competitor, I hardly think he will watch his career waste away and do nothing about it, dude is a fighter, not some guy that was just glad to make it in the league.

As far as personal stats? Yes Sacramento(and last season in particular) will probably end up being his best on a pure statistical basis. However I think he's a guy that will win Championships(if he signs with the right team) in the molds of the Jason Terry's, Manu's etc. If he goes to the Lakers Kobe will absolutely LOVE IT and the attitude/swag he plays with. IT is a guy that outworked damn near every player to come through Sactown over the last 3-4 years in an environment that encouraged lazyness and conformity. His work ethic and attitude alone will make him a valuable asset for years(thats without mentioning the fact that he's a damn good player). Players like Derrick Williams are the guys that look back and wonder "wtf happend", like him or not IT is a go getter, and an intense competitor, I hardly think he will watch his career waste away and do nothing about it, dude is a fighter, not some guy that was just glad to make it in the league.
Sorry but lol

I live in So-Cal, I've watched practically ALL of Kobe Bryant's career, I'm a Kings fan but Kobe is one of my favorite players of all time, I know the type of players he likes to play with(people that compete, play hard, and have a passion for the game, hard workers) all of which IT has, IT will certainly learn his place playing along a legend like Kobe, but make no mistake Kobe will absolutely the intangibles IT brings. He'll never be as good as Manu but will certainly have a similar role when all is said and done, he can certainly be as good or better than Terry though imo.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I live in So-Cal, I've watched practically ALL of Kobe Bryant's career, I'm a Kings fan but Kobe is one of my favorite players of all time, I know the type of players he likes to play with(people that compete, play hard, and have a passion for the game, hard workers) all of which IT has, IT will certainly learn his place playing along a legend like Kobe, but make no mistake Kobe will absolutely the intangibles IT brings. He'll never be as good as Manu but will certainly have a similar role when all is said and done, he can certainly be as good or better than Terry though imo.
Kobe loves a lot of guys until he's clapping for the ball on the wing and gets looked off.

I'm loving the local and national narrative about how IT outplayed all of his pg competition and how stupid the team is for not "seeing that".

He beat out:
Aaron brooks (essentially out of the league)
Jimmer (essentially out of the league)
Grievous (coming off an injury for less than half a season)
Reke (does this even count when he was shifted to sg due to our issues there as well and arguably had a more successful run at pg?)

So basically our front offices have sucked at bringing in PGs. Not exactly an endorsement of how good IT is.

Kobe loves a lot of guys until he's clapping for the ball on the wing and gets looked off.
Kobe will never find himself on the wing unguarded, so that arguement is invalid. Or do you know of any defenses that have a scouting report of "sag off of Bryant give him the 18 footer"? Teams will sag off of Ben McLemore, Jason Thompson, Marcus Thornton giving IT plenty of opportunities to be a midget chucker, they're not sagging off of Kobe, which means IT probably has an open lane to the rack.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This plus watching his teammate quit on defensive plays consistently is going to be an issue.
I don't get this idea that Kobe will like giving up the ball to another guard and will love playing with that guard. Why? Because it hasn't happened in his entire career. A post threat is different, but a competing player on the perimeter?

Before Nash got hurt, Nash had to play far more off the ball than at any point in his career. Kobe remained the ball dominant guard. If he turns Nash into an off the ball player and more a spot up shooter, what do people expect to happen if IT were to go there? I mean, seriously. If IT is the 6th man and does his thing when Kobe rests, that's one thing. Suggesting Kobe will sit back and let IT dance with the ball regularly while out there with him is another.

Kobe by nature turns every guard he plays with into an off the ball player. IT by nature is best with the ball in his hands.

And if Melo signs.....yeah, picture those two standing on the wings watching IT launch contested jumpers.

Edit: @jcw, you do understand whether Kobe is being guarded by his man or not doesn't enter into this, right? He should be guarded, and should attract more attention/defenders. That's why he prefers being surrounded by off the ball players, who can take advantage of that attention.

If you're going to say an argument is invalid, at least show the ability to understand said argument in the first place. Kobe/Lebron/Melo, the greats in the game always are being defended. You still play through them.

I don't get this idea that Kobe will like giving up the ball to another guard and will love playing with that guard. Why? Because it hasn't happened in his entire career. A post threat is different, but a competing player on the perimeter?

Before Nash got hurt, Nash had to play far more off the ball than at any point in his career. Kobe remained the ball dominant guard. If he turns Nash into an off the ball player and more a spot up shooter, what do people expect to happen if IT were to go there? I mean, seriously. If IT is the 6th man and does his thing when Kobe rests, that's one thing. Suggesting Kobe will sit back and let IT dance with the ball regularly while out there with him is another.

Kobe by nature turns every guard he plays with into an off the ball player. IT by nature is best with the ball in his hands.

And if Melo signs.....yeah, picture those two standing on the wings watching IT launch contested jumpers.

Edit: @jcw, you do understand whether Kobe is being guarded by his man or not doesn't enter into this, right? He should be guarded, and should attract more attention/defenders. That's why he prefers being surrounded by off the ball players, who can take advantage of that attention.

If you're going to say an argument is invalid, at least show the ability to understand said argument in the first place. Kobe/Lebron/Melo, the greats in the game always are being defended. You still play through them.
Well you said "look off Kobe" which means IT would have the ball in his hand in that particular situation. If you asked me how the two would work together I would say the offense would run through Kobe in the half court(mid post area) and IT would be in charge of pushing the pace off of defensive stops. I could also see pick and roll situations with IT, depending on who the Laker big men are.

I'm loving the local and national narrative about how IT outplayed all of his pg competition and how stupid the team is for not "seeing that".

He beat out:
Aaron brooks (essentially out of the league)
Jimmer (essentially out of the league)
Grievous (coming off an injury for less than half a season)
Reke (does this even count when he was shifted to sg due to our issues there as well and arguably had a more successful run at pg?)

So basically our front offices have sucked at bringing in PGs. Not exactly an endorsement of how good IT is.
All good points but in this post and so many of the other posts here you act like Thomas sucks. Is the beloved Tyreke Evans even capable of putting up those numbers anymore?

Whether you like him or not he's put up 20 PTS / 6 Assists last year while shooting .453% from the field. That's not easy to do at the NBA level and if any scrub could do it more guys would be doing it.

Of course he has his issues defensively and he has issues getting teammates involved but he is a force offensively and also a fierce competitor who has exceeded very "glass ceiling" that people have put in front of him.

He might not be the right fit for this team but I think so many here highly underestimate his talent.

All good points but in this post and so many of the other posts here you act like Thomas sucks. Is the beloved Tyreke Evans even capable of putting up those numbers anymore?

Whether you like him or not he's put up 20 PTS / 6 Assists last year while shooting .453% from the field. That's not easy to do at the NBA level and if any scrub could do it more guys would be doing it.

Of course he has his issues defensively and he has issues getting teammates involved but he is a force offensively and also a fierce competitor who has exceeded very "glass ceiling" that people have put in front of him.

He might not be the right fit for this team but I think so many here highly underestimate his talent.
I get the feeling people HERE view him as the midget version of Brandon Jennings, which is laughable. He is practically the "midget" version of Kyrie Irving with better intangibles imo(and better efficiency) and without the multimillion dollar Marketing campaigns by Billion dollar companies(besides Pizza Guys). The only way his height actually limits him is in contesting shots better than a full sized PG would be able to.

The post wasn't meant to suggest it is an inferior talent but rather to poke a hole in the argument many in the national media are using to bash this decision.

The post wasn't meant to suggest it is an inferior talent but rather to poke a hole in the argument many in the national media are using to bash this decision.
Well I think we can both agree that the national media as a general rule doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. Other than about 6-10 megastar players and 3 or 4 teams, the national media really doesn't have a clue on what is going on with 95% of the teams or players in the league.

I get the feeling people HERE view him as the midget version of Brandon Jennings, which is laughable. He is practically the "midget" version of Kyrie Irving with better intangibles imo(and better efficiency). The only way his height actually limits him is in contesting shots better than a full sized PG would be able to.
I almost posted today about how impressed I am with your handling of the departure of a guy I know you like and respect. But you are veering right back to the same stuff that drove me crazy all season.

Do you really feel like he's Irving with better intangibles? That he's a championship pg? That his size doesn't limit him?

I fear your defending IT from what you perceive as attacks pulls all the hyperbole out of you.

I almost posted today about how impressed I am with your handling of the departure of a guy I know you like and respect. But you are veering right back to the same stuff that drove me crazy all season.

Do you really feel like he's Irving with better intangibles? That he's a championship pg? That his size doesn't limit him?

I fear your defending IT from what you perceive as attacks pulls all the hyperbole out of you.
Oh I don't think he's a championship PG, but I think he's a more than capable starter that will eventually find his true calling as a 6th man. His size does limit him(especially defensively), but its not like he ever gets abused in the post(he is built like a pitbull, pound for pound one of the stronger players in the league). His defensive limitations are strictly being able to contest shots and his lack of effort at times at that end(which has nothing to do with size), and just the overall poor team defense and lack of shotblocking(which makes EVERYBODY on this team seem like a worse defender than they are capable of being if they were on say the Spurs). For the record Irving has proven to be nothing more than IT as well to this point, I don't see his teams sniffing the playoffs(and that is in an abysmal Easter Conference). At the very least IT can say he played .500 ball when he played with Cousins and Gay in a LOADED Western Conference. The only thing that angers me is when IT is viewed as a guy that you can just dump to the side(not even worth $4million to some on here), then they perceive themselves as basketball experts. There are very rational ways to say IT isn't the right fit for this team, and i'm fine with that(I myself agree that as currently constructed he isn't the perfect fit), but when people just go to the "midget chucker, get him out of here" arguement, its just silly.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
IT is a bit like Allen Iverson. He's talented enough that he helps, but his style of play simultaneously puts a strict cap on what you can achieve. He has the ball, and he's going to use it for himself. And he's not A.I., so that achievement cap is a lot lower. He's not good enough to make you win himself, but his playstyle means he's barely going to allow anybody else to do so either. Be a valuable 6th man, but too much ego in everything he does. That's why you can lose talent on this one and maybe still possibly come out of it alright or even improved. Other guys will have chances now they never would have with IT sitting on the ball.

Oh I don't think he's a championship PG, but I think he's a more than capable starter that will eventually find his true calling as a 6th man. His size does limit him(especially defensively), but its not like he ever gets abused in the post(he is built like a pitbull, pound for pound one of the stronger players in the league). His defensive limitations are strictly being able to contest shots and his lack of effort at times at that end(which has nothing to do with size), and just the overall poor team defense and lack of shotblocking(which makes EVERYBODY on this team seem like a worse defender than they are capable of being if they were on say the Spurs). For the record Irving has proven to be nothing more than IT as well to this point, I don't see his teams sniffing the playoffs(and that is in an abysmal Easter Conference). At the very least IT can say he played .500 ball when he played with Cousins and Gay in a LOADED Western Conference. The only thing that angers me is when IT is viewed as a guy that you can just dump to the side(not even worth $4million to some on here), then they perceive themselves as basketball experts. There are very rational ways to say IT isn't the right fit for this team, and i'm fine with that(I myself agree that as currently constructed he isn't the perfect fit), but when people just go to the "midget chucker, get him out of here" arguement, its just silly.
Fair enough. Then you have my admiration for how you are reacting to IT's departure.

IT is a bit like Allen Iverson. He's talented enough that he helps, but his style of play simultaneously puts a strict cap on what you can achieve. He has the ball, and he's going to use it for himself. And he's not A.I., so that achievement cap is a lot lower. He's not good enough to make you win himself, but his playstyle means he's barely going to allow anybody else to do so either. Be a valuable 6th man, but too much ego in everything he does. That's why you can lose talent on this one and maybe still possibly come out of it alright or even improved. Other guys will have chances now they never would have with IT sitting on the ball.
I would agree with this with the HUGE diffference that you arent paying IT franchise player money. IT isnt a guy this franchise would build around, but a guy thats there to be the 3rd or 4th option, can start or come off the bench and can be easily moved. I hope you're right though, if IT leaving means guys like McLemore, Stauskas, McCallum or Derrick Williams become bigger contributors/ better basketball players then thats great dor this team. I will cheer IT from afar like I have other former Kings that won me over with their play/ work ethic/ professionalism(Peja, Bibby, Cisco, Kmart, Brad, Tyreke).

Entity

Hall of Famer
I would agree with this with the HUGE diffference that you arent paying IT franchise player money. IT isnt a guy this franchise would build around, but a guy thats there to be the 3rd or 4th option, can start or come off the bench and can be easily moved. I hope you're right though, if IT leaving means guys like McLemore, Stauskas, McCallum or Derrick Williams become bigger contributors/ better basketball players then thats great dor this team. I will cheer IT from afar like I have other former Kings that won me over with their play/ work ethic/ professionalism(Peja, Bibby, Cisco, Kmart, Brad, Tyreke).
Problem is he can't find it in him yo be the 3rd or 4 th option. His offensive game is 2nd option at least. But when he is the that dictates when #1 gets the ball that's a problem. Then when you give up the same amount of points as you score night in and night out. What are you accomplishing besides a nice ppg average at the end if the year?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You've changed the meaning of my post. I didn't say he'll let his career waste away and I didb't say he's not a good player. I think he can be a "valuable asset" because of his "work ethic and attitude" but I do not envision him leading any of the teams that have reportedly expressed interest in him. And face it - he WANTS to be a leader. He said so numerous times.

I'm also not so sure Kobe will be that excited if IT dons a Laker jersey. Kobe needs the ball; IT has the ball. Do you see a potential conflict? I sure do...

But don't get me wrong. I really like IT, and would love to see him remain on the Kings as the sparkplug off the bench. Unfortunately, as others have said, that's not what he wants to do.

Is tyreke evans able to put those numbers up? You mean the tyreke evans who in the last month of the season when he was actually given the time to play put up 20ppg 6.5apg 5.5rpg on over 48% shooting and went off on OKC fpr 41 pts? That tyreke. Tyreke when used correctly would is in a different category given his natural ability and size. Is he as hard a worker...no. But I would love the opportunity to trade him and IT in a heartbeat. When given a FO who is willing to make moves (ironically like moving him) and a better more stable environment, he will succeed.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
IT isnt a guy this franchise would build around, but a guy thats there to be the 3rd or 4th option, can start or come off the bench and can be easily moved.
If that were the case and IT was ok being the 3rd or 4th option, starter or 6th man, whatever is best for the team, he'd have gotten a lot less heat around here and would likely be re-signed with us. His talent isn't the issue and if he would buy into a 6th man role, myself and many others would love to have him here.

His comments which have been posted here a few times say something different. Scoring point, big numbers, wants to be one of, if not the best under 6' player ever, wants to be wanted and respected for his scoring, etc.. That to me doesn't sound like a guy willing to do what you're saying he is. Doesn't appear our FO thought so either.

The reality about IT is not that people are down on him. The reality is not that people dont think he is a good player. The reality IS that he is not a good fit as a starting point guard for this or even most teams. He is a great 6th man propect. Name me any team in the west that made the playoffs that would keep him as a starter. Name me those in the east. Those teams that want him as a starter are either terrible or are full on rebuild mpde and need scorers. You may find a 1 or 2 playoff teams that MAY start him in the east but thats it. He would be a GREAT 6th man in the mould of a small Jamal Crawford or Bobby Jackson. That is a role he is unwilling to accept by his comments. Would I pay 6-7million fpr a perennial 6th man of the year candidate which he definitely would be? Sure! But as a starter with a me first attitude which will p|ss off my star and stifle the growth of my younger players...no probably not.

Do I hope he stays? Yeah as 6th man with an improved attitude. But that doesn't seem to be his desire. I would say that IT is down on the kings and team basketball and high on himself and his me first style. Thats his problem...not ours

Status
Not open for further replies.