The Official NBA Draft Day Thread 2014 Edition

During the offseason, I've...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, sixers got two more future picks from the Magic.
that GM is kicking a$$. he's gonna have to draft and stash future guys when the core is set. bright future for them. didn't we have an opportunity to get him instead of gerbil? vivek likes analytics guys so we overlooked him.

If they have no other moves, they drafted Stauskas to play PG. Plain and simple.
I don't understand why so many on this forum right now aren't grasping the fact that Ben was one of the worst starters in the entire league last year. We lost 7 wins according to analytics from the sg position last year.... that's a ton of wins that could be had by acquiring a league average player. We needed to address that spot... our number one need no doubt. Now pg is our biggest need that we've taken care of sg.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

The Spurs make another solid pick, for their style and chemistry with Kyle Anderson
Picking a player that fits in a system that you run. That's how it should be.
Kings of course don't have a system and they just pick randomly based on attribute preferences rather than fit.
I think in last years draft, Nik would have been a great pick. Except, we picked Ben last year. Now, we get another SG (WTF). You HAVE to assume that a trade is coming because of our shoot-first PG's that we currently possess with lack of playmaking skills.
I still think picking up Micic would be a smart move by the Kings. You need a guy like that if you have Nik and Cousins. You need a guy to feed them. Rondo would obviously be first choice but I have a hard time seeing that. Tyler Ennis? Maybe Phoenix will trade him if they re-sign Bledsoe.

Say what you want about his first round picks but PDA squeezed a lot of production and potential out of his 2nd rounder last year. And not to go back to that tired old well but Manu was a second rounder. You never know what you could find.
True, I'm just a bit skeptical. I'm just a little floored they did not try to get involved in some of those salary dump trades and then try to trade #8, maybe move back and still take Stauskas, while accruing some more assets. On paper this is very frustrating.

J

jdbraver

Picking a player that fits in a system that you run. That's how it should be.
Kings of course don't have a system and they just pick randomly based on attribute preferences rather than fit.
I think in last years draft, Nik would have been a great pick. Except, we picked Ben last year. Now, we get another SG (WTF). You HAVE to assume that a trade is coming because of our shoot-first PG's that we currently possess with lack of playmaking skills.
I still think picking up Micic would be a smart move by the Kings. You need a guy like that if you have Nik and Cousins. You need a guy to feed them. Rondo would obviously be first choice but I have a hard time seeing that. Tyler Ennis? Maybe Phoenix will trade him if they re-sign Bledsoe.
At least we didn't pick another pf

I don't understand why so many on this forum right now aren't grasping the fact that Ben was one of the worst starters in the entire league last year. We lost 7 wins according to analytics from the sg position last year.... that's a ton of wins that could be had by acquiring a league average player. We needed to address that spot... our number one need no doubt. Now pg is our biggest need that we've taken care of sg.
Agreed. He was atrocious. I like our pick. High IQ, size, and puts the ball in the hole

Ben is a young player who is likely going to improve with time. If you want to bring him off the bench, decents SGs are easily got in FA, especially ones with similar type of game to Nik (Morrow, Meeks etc). You don't need to use an 8 on him if you have any faith whatsoever in Ben (maybe they don't). It doesn't make sense.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Inglis is another really good prospect from Europe. However, why? Their pick doesn't make sense with the current assets that they already have. I guess they have a lot of versatile players including Inglis and Giannis who can interchange along with Parker.

True, I'm just a bit skeptical. I'm just a little floored they did not try to get involved in some of those salary dump trades and then try to trade #8, maybe move back and still take Stauskas, while accruing some more assets. On paper this is very frustrating.
That's no way to run a team, though. If there's a guy you love, you take him. If there's a guy you like, but wouldn't mind another guy, you trade back and hope the guy you like drops. If not, no big deal. But it seems like the Kings loved Nik Stauskas, so they took him. You can debate the choice all you want, but you can't draft the way you are suggesting.

Ben is a young player who is likely going to improve with time. If you want to bring him off the bench, decents SGs are easily got in FA, especially ones with similar type of game to Nik (Morrow, Meeks etc). You don't need to use an 8 on him if you have any faith whatsoever in Ben (maybe they don't). It doesn't make sense.
Ben was #7 in a terrible draft... if he pans out great, we have two good sg's hopefully. Jamal Crawford has won multiple 6th man awards... he played alongside Reddick this year, both players got plenty of run. It's all good... Stauskas is gonna rock and Ben is still a solid young player/asset.

Just dialed in and read this one page. Watched the draft to pick 21 and then dinner. Very much like the pick. Hope above speculators are wrong and we got Stauskas to play SG and he and Ben will fight it out in camp for starting SG slot OR that Ben is part of a subsequent trade to get more help.

Now tell me what I missed.

Put this guy in the same role as Ben, see what happens.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Woah woah woah. Slow down there, Speedy.
Key word: Potential

I think we can all agree that Embiid has a good chance (if Injuries don't prevail) to become a future HOF'er.

MCW is in the next tier and then Saric/Noel in their own 3rd tier depending on how much work they put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.