World Cup 2006 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasnt always been pretty football over the past month, but World Cup 2006 has had its moments (and some wonderful goals).

Reading back over the posts in this thread we are down to about 4 KF members who appear to be rooting for one of the finalists. (Bawla, Kennadog, JJ22L and Loopy).

Somehow I just cant raise the enthusiasm to get behind France or Italy. Both have their merits. Maybe Italian football is more in need of 'good news' given the high profile ref-fixing scandal being resolved over there right now. ;)

Roll on Euro 2008. The boys with three lions on their shirts will come good this time ! (Like ive never said THAT before !:eek: )

The sad thing is that Portugal is really talented and when they actually play without the theatrics they are capable of some nice play. Scolari's gone after the Cup right?

Oh well at least I don't have to cheer for Italy in the final.
Most are wishing him gone but it looks like he'll probably stay. I strongly dislike him, for a variety of reasons. You probably dont know but the disciplinary record with him here in portugal has been impecable. Not a single red card since he started coaching the team over 3 years ago. At least till the game against Holland. And that was such a big problem with the national team, it was so indisciplinate. We lost a good amount of matches because of that. But aside that, Scolari didnt really do much positive. At least that others wouldnt.

Most are wishing him gone but it looks like he'll probably stay. I strongly dislike him, for a variety of reasons. You probably dont know but the disciplinary record with him here in portugal has been impecable. Not a single red card since he started coaching the team over 3 years ago. At least till the game against Holland. And that was such a big problem with the national team, it was so indisciplinate. We lost a good amount of matches because of that. But aside that, Scolari didnt really do much positive. At least that others wouldnt.
Well, he DID do one thing positive (or at least his wife did for him ;) ) - he turned down the offer of the England manager job.

Not that im certain the candidate finally selected by the English FA will be any good (i reserve judgement) but i didnt really want to see Scolari in the job.

Didn't Scolari only turn down the job only because it could lead to a potential conflict of interest (as it would have) with England and Portugal both preparing for the WC?

Since England is still looking he could re-enter the hunt?

Didn't Scolari only turn down the job only because it could lead to a potential conflict of interest (as it would have) with England and Portugal both preparing for the WC?

Since England is still looking he could re-enter the hunt?
No, i dont think so, the bufoons from the FA paid him a visit at home prior to the World Cup and initially the reports were that he had accepted their offer. The Press over here went nuts and if reports are to be believed he then did a U turn and said, after discussing it with his family that he didnt want the job, citing the intrusion the media would make into his family time.

The English FA have now appointed Steve McClaren to do the job. Steve was manager with premiership team, Middlesborough. Middlesborough were never going to win anything with McClaren and they sure as hell arent going to do so without him. He have them a decent cup run in the UEFA, but they couldnt go all the way.

So im reserving judgement on him, but i have a feeling that if he doesnt get off to a good start in the Euro-qualifiers then the back pages of the newspapers might make him choke on his morning toast.

It doesn't really matter whether Portugal beat Holland or not. Awww, did I hit a poor nerve here?

It was a little joke anyways. I thought the ad, in itself, was very funny. Albeit old.

The thing is, with such quality players Portugal have, that it's amazing how they play such "anti-football". They should be more than capable of playing attractive football. That's what makes me dislike Portugal (and also Italy btw, until yesterday..).

So when you say French are boring, I suggest you take a look in the mirror, because the football Portugal displays is not exactly pleasing to the eye.

I'm just a sucker for attractive/offensive play (like many are). It's the reason I liked the Kings in the first place. It's also why Sampras and Federer are my favourite tennis players by miles.

Re: Holland, they played an incredibly ugly match, they definitely had their share in the uglyness. I never really disputed that. Boulahrouz absolutely deserved red.

But Portugal has to be one of the leading nations when it comes to diving. on average, they do it more than most.

I have to agree with PDXKingsfan. It really must be Scolari's influence. That guy just can't shut the hell up for one minute. Bit stupid how he acted in the press conference as well.
Your right, you did it a nerve. I dont like my (national) team being called cheater. Especially for something that everybody does. Couldnt Henry continued his play tonight on the PK call tonight. Didnt he, insted, chose to embellish his fall. I hate the diving, injury faining, lack of fair play. We all do. What isnt fair is this generalization that the Portuguese are the cheating devils. And when you pointed to that ad i couldnt feel like that was a joke.

And i disagree with your definition of anti-football. Anti-football is to avoid, by all means, the opponent to be able to produce quality play even if it means that you dont play well. It's negating your own game at the expense of the result. Diving, as bad as it is, doesnt relate into anti-football. Relates into lack of fair play wich is a different thing. Are there more divers than in the Brasilian or Argentine national teams? I dont think there are and they dont play anti-football.

Were we agree is in the passion for offensive football. I cant understand the game without that intent. That's why this WC has been a little hard to see. The game is so tight, so closely marked, that creativity is, unfortunately, shrinking. And since your from Holland, i can even tell you that one of my favorite teams is Ajax. I always loved their attacking attractive style. Heck, my team even has a Dutch coach and i always liked him for his free attacking will.

As for Scolari, I never liked him and i never will. His rant at the press conference is old and stale. I dream of the day he's gone.

No, i dont think so, the bufoons from the FA paid him a visit at home prior to the World Cup and initially the reports were that he had accepted their offer. The Press over here went nuts and if reports are to be believed he then did a U turn and said, after discussing it with his family that he didnt want the job, citing the intrusion the media would make into his family time.
Your absolutely right. He accepted the offer from your FA and then backed out when he realized his life would be a hell in England because of the tabloids. His life here is like heaven. He feels he doesnt have any pressure and thats the way he likes it.

They would have a field day with him. His antics, his superstitious being, there's so much stuff tabloid worthy around him. I think you really dodge the bullet there and be, for one time, thankful to the british media. He's awful and the biggest slacker i have seen as a national coach. He doesnt go to any matches, he's always travelling to Brasil. He spends more time attending meals than preparing the team.

Last edited:
Your right, you did it a nerve. I dont like my (national) team being called cheater. Especially for something that everybody does. Couldnt Henry continued his play tonight on the PK call tonight. Didnt he, insted, chose to embellish his fall. I hate the diving, injury faining, lack of fair play. We all do. What isnt fair is this generalization that the Portuguese are the cheating devils. And when you pointed to that ad i couldnt feel like that was a joke.

And i disagree with your definition of anti-football. Anti-football is to avoid, by all means, the opponent to be able to produce quality play even if it means that you dont play well. It's negating your own game at the expense of the result. Diving, as bad as it is, doesnt relate into anti-football. Relates into lack of fair play wich is a different thing. Are there more divers than in the Brasilian or Argentine national teams? I dont think there are and they dont play anti-football.

Were we agree is in the passion for offensive football. I cant understand the game without that intent. That's why this WC has been a little hard to see. The game is so tight, so closely marked, that creativity is, unfortunately, shrinking. And since your from Holland, i can even tell you that one of my favorite teams is Ajax. I always loved their attacking attractive style. Heck, my team even has a Dutch coach and i always liked him for his free attacking will.

As for Scolari, I never liked him and i never will. His rant at the press conference is old and stale. I dream of the day he's gone.
I wish they'd do stats on diving. It would be interesting to see which teams come on top. Yes, all teams dive. But it would be unrealistic to think that all dive with equal frequency.

You misunderstood me. I didn't relate anti-football to diving. Diving just comes on top. Portugal doesn't play for ball possession as much as they should (and could). Their most dangerous moments come from counters. In this tournament, when they had to play for ball possession (i.e. when they're down), the ball circulation was too slow. It's almost as if they can't create opportunities themselves, without having the space (during counters). I realize it's tough for any team to squeeze through legions of defenders, but in my opinion, Portugal could do alot better in that regard. I hope some day a new coach will come who will make the team play more attractive.

I find Spain playing much more attractive. Spain has the looks, Portugal has the results. A valid question would be if you could still play offensively, and still win (alot). Most teams, and most coaches, seem to think not. Maybe that's true, for the moment.

However, I think the game will go through waves. Maybe this is an defensive era; maybe things will change, like they did in the NBA past season. I think it's like that in many sports (same goes for tennis, again, where the game went from big servers to strictly power baseliners...but will it be like this in 10-15 years?).

Ah Italy vs. France, the finals of my dreams... and a rematch from a European championships finals from a few years ago. But this time, I think that Italy are the favorites...

FORZA ITALIA! FORZA TOTTI!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, now I'm scared. I NEVER agree with sloter; he never agrees with me. This could mean the beginning of the end.

GO ITALY!!!

How can you say go Italy after they defeated my fav team--the Germans. Im going for France--heres hoping Zidane finishes his career in international soccer the way any legend should, with a championship.

minute and a half to go in OT and then PK's and they choke it. I still replay the 2 goals in my head everyday...The first goal killed me, all the air went out of me with that goal and so did any wish of Germany winning the World Cup.

Very disappointed with Zidane's headbutt. Was rooting for France but at that point I really stopped caring.

Hate seeing games go to PKs, especially a final. But I guess its somewhat fitting that the first team to lose a final due to them becomes the second to win. Maybe France can meet Brazil in a final down the road win in PKs and then they can abolish that rule and go back to playing a second match a few days later.

Interesting WC factoid... Only 2 teams were able to score against Italy, and only one team played Italy and didn't lose. Perhaps the US can take some solace in that.

eta: another disappointment was seeing De Rossi in this game. I know he served his 4 game suspension but there had been rumors the team would send him home.

Last edited:
I flew back in from Italy yesterday. Sooo glad I didn't fly today It would have been insane out there (I wouldnt mind, but baby and wife would hate it - plus Italians at Milan airport were slow and laid back as is).

Congrats to Italy!

Some thoughts:

- France was better in regular time; they created most opportunities. Zidane had that great header, and Ribery had a nice chance.
- The headbutt was inexplicable. World Cup Final, the most important match you can play, and your final match, and you give a headbutt? Materazzi didn't even seem to do much this time (other than perhaps saying something nasty. Normally Materazzi makes maniacal fouls, but in this final he was pleasantly subdued). The ugly side of Zidane reared its head. But you would not expect it come up during such an important occassion.
- Most penalty kicks were flawless. Better than that stuff we saw in earlier rounds.
- Buffon is arguably the best GK in the world, but he seems terrible at stopping penalties. He picked the wrong corner each time!
- Grosso, Grosso. "Earned" a penalty that allowed them to beat Australia in the last minute, had the amazing goal vs Germany, and now converted the last penalty kick that gave Italy the Cup. Must be a nice feeling.
- Cannavaro best defender, bar none. MVP. Nice way to retire (which can't be said for Zidane of course). Same goes for Totti and Del Piero.
- I guess the Italy trend continues. 1970 Final, 1982 Win, 1994 Final, 2006 Win. 12 year final cycles, 24 year win cycles. Nice.

Last edited:
Rumors so far have Materazzi making a racist comment to Zidane. If that's true that will be very interesting given FIFA's zero tolerance policy regarding racism in this cup (for those in the US that missed the 8,000 special features on this they were basically going to strip teams of a win if a player or coach made a racist remark, although the way this was proposed only made any sense for group play).

Even if Materazzi did say such things, Zidane should have never reacted like that. But it would certainly explain the headbutt. It really seemed to come out of nowhere.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Rumors so far have Materazzi making a racist comment to Zidane. If that's true that will be very interesting given FIFA's zero tolerance policy regarding racism in this cup (for those in the US that missed the 8,000 special features on this they were basically going to strip teams of a win if a player or coach made a racist remark, although the way this was proposed only made any sense for group play).
Wouldn't be the first time that Materazzi has done that. As for the result - FIFA won't change it. Holland, Spain and Italy - famous for racism wheather from the fans or from the players

Italy won but it was hardly a roaring victory. They looked pathetic in OT, especially considering that France was a man down. Zidane....WTH. I thought he got away with it at first, if one of the refs saw it they sure took their time to acknowledge it.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Even if Materazzi did say such things, Zidane should have never reacted like that. But it would certainly explain the headbutt. It really seemed to come out of nowhere.
provoking was going on trough the whole game. That is the way Italy plays. Zidane should have aimed for the face considering that Italy used all the substitutions. Either way - pretty soon we will know exactly what happened. Better team lost today

Wouldn't be the first time that Materazzi has done that. As for the result - FIFA won't change it. Holland, Spain and Italy - famous for racism wheather from the fans or from the players
Oh I know they'd never actually change a result, and I doubt they'd have actually stripped a team of 3 points in group play either. But if the rumors are true it will be quite interesting to see what if anything they do.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Oh I know they'd never actually change a result, and I doubt they'd have actually stripped a team of 3 points in group play either. But if the rumors are true it will be quite interesting to see what if anything they do.

they will do nothing. They did nothing when spanish fans were provoking French players in the 2nd round game. They didn't do much when Aragones were insulting Henry. They are all "talk"

Haha, mais pour quoi ? mais pour quoi ? Zidane deserves the red , and the French have noone to blame but theirselves (regardless of what Materazzi said or did, Zidane is an experienced player and I am sure he has heard everything already). Italy did a great job of sucking the life out of them, and deserved to win the title 100%. Haters can only keep hating - this title comes after the unlucky losses in 1994 and 2000 finals, but it's a sweet sweet revenge against this french team. Au revoir, and see you in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.