Woj: Kings let Bogi go

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There was a lot of excuses flying around about his international play and how it made him tired and therefore lowered his effectiveness.

At some point what you see is what you get.
I do think he might look better to start this season just by the sheer fact that the coronavirus forced him to sit back and take it easy over the summer for once.

I do think he might look better to start this season just by the sheer fact that the coronavirus forced him to sit back and take it easy over the summer for once.
I absolutely 100% agree. But once he goes back to national team duty, it will be the same thing. Incidentally, imagine we kept him and can't trade him for a year and he gets a career altering injury on NT duty? I hope that doesn't happen, but the guy is devoted to his country and you have to factor that into his value.

Buddy likes a tweet saying that Buddy isn't a good trade asset. At this point, it's entirely possible that Buddy simply has a bot going through Twitter liking every tweet that has his name in it.
Hahaha true. Then again, with Buddy he's probably taking note and waiting to show them all. That's what we call good Buddy. That way even if bad Buddy is just on a short hiatus then gone Buddy can happen at the deadline since his value is likely skyrocketing.

This was the likely move over the last couple of days.

I would have liked to get something for Bogi but I can understand the risk of matching and then having a minutes crunch and devaluing both Bogi and Buddy while taking away minutes for Tyrese. So I am fine with the decision and trust McNair. None of the potential outcomes were without downsides.

I wish Bogi all the best, and hope Buddy has a resurgence so we can get something back for him at the deadline. Hopefully Marvin can stay healthy, we hit on next year's draft and have some hope going forward.

How fast do we forget one of the best early season run under Dave, where Buddy and Fox were both in the top 10 sprinters of the league blitzing teams and Buddy shooting well from deep. Then came Harisson Barnes' out of pace style, followed by the acquisition of guys like slow foot Dedmon and half court players like Cojo the next season. And suddenly all running stopped and Buddy sat in the bench for good.

Touch to see Bogi go. But Bogi's smarts is right around the half-court, which Kings don't even have much starter that do well in half-court.

Mike D's system during the Nash era (the 7 seconds and done) would probably suit this roster especially with the T.H. pick. And Buddy's shooting and sprinting will be key to that.

I'll be very happy if they start sprint plays again. It shouldn't be hard for Rashaun and Marvin. And all the best to Bogi.

This was the likely move over the last couple of days.

I would have liked to get something for Bogi but I can understand the risk of matching and then having a minutes crunch and devaluing both Bogi and Buddy while taking away minutes for Tyrese. So I am fine with the decision and trust McNair. None of the potential outcomes were without downsides.

I wish Bogi all the best, and hope Buddy has a resurgence so we can get something back for him at the deadline. Hopefully Marvin can stay healthy, we hit on next year's draft and have some hope going forward.
Amen. I liked Bogi, wish him all the best and happy if he flourishes somewhere else. Bottom line is, if we drafted Doncic over Bagley, we wouldn't be having this rebuild-reset conversation and Bogi would probably still be a key piece TOGETHER with Buddy for the next few years.

I'm struggling with the notion that this was a nailed on correct or incorrect decision. To me the front office could've gone either direction with options for ways forward. I know we have passionate fans and strong views on this board, but those who are celebrating like this is a huge win and those forecasting doom and gloom are confusing me.

My thoughts; I think this was ultimately the right move. I say that very reluctantly as I enjoyed watching Bogi play, so will certainly mourn the loss for a bit. I certainly prefer his style of play to Buddy's, I will say that. I, like seemingly most others on this board, have come to the conclusion that we need more talent from the draft, so I'm reassured that's the direction we're trying to go in.

I might take a break from the board for a few days now. The sarcastic comments and hand ringing over a player I liked and am sad to see go, have left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Last edited:
Bottom line: the KINGS rebuild just got longer, not shorter.
You probably have different expectations on what should be the outcome of a rebuild. To me and to a lot of people here its becoming a team that is definetly a playoff team for multiple years while being a credible contender to actually win playoff series.

Having Bogdan on the roster just to trade him means you have to play him so that his trade value on that contract is more than a 2nd round pick. Playing Bogdan will also make your team win more games and that means you make your '21 draft position worse and thus statistically hurt your chances to get a star level player. Thats important to notice because this team wont be a credible contender without a star level player added to this core.

The “Financial flexibility’ excuse is just that. An excuse. Financial flexibility has done NOTHING for this franchise. Ever.

Just a few Summer’s ago, the KINGS were top 3 in money under the cap. How’d that work out?
Now you are talking about Vlade who was probably the worst GM in the whole league that should've never been hired in the first place.

The idea of financial flexibility is avoiding those types of contracts that Vlade signed. Bogdan, Buddy, Barnes, Holmes, Bjelica, Joseph are all nba level rotation players and with Fox its a below .500 team. If you combine all of their salaries, you are over the cap by a mile. That means its very hard to improve via free agency. You also draft around ten and the odds of getting a difference maker at that range are relatively slim. That means its very hard to improve the team from fringe 8th seed contender to a sustainable playoff team and a credible contender.

When Petrie built the ONLY winner this city has ever seen, he didn’t do it with top 3 picks gathered by tanking. And he didn’t do it allowing a coveted all-around player that fit the style being played at the time walk away for no return.

And don’t tell me about Brian Grant. Grant‘s skillset didn’t fit a myriad of teams as Bogdanovic’s does today. A player that can handle, pass and shoot.
Just out of curiosity, do you see a probable path to becoming a winner with this core (if we matched Bogdan)? Considering the cap situation and probable draft positions, the significant improvement would need to come via trades. I dont see many possible players that would improve the team significantly being available to us without either giving up Fox and/or all of our future draft picks.

To me the more probable path for us is to be financialy flexible, trying to maximize your odds to get a star via draft, while doing that gathering assets that are valuable in the future and possibly valuable to a rebuilding team thats trading their difference makining player(s).

I'm no social media genius, and I get the whole professional image thing, but you could always "like" tweets that give you a chuckle, or mention you etc. I mean, I would like those tweets for those reasons. If being a consummate professional just means a guy like Harrison Barnes who is happy sitting on big paychecks, being pretty passive AND inconsistent/not very valuable then I'll pass. The day Buddy stops working hard or yells at/threatens reporters or is actually a bad locker room presence is the day I'm more concerned - not when he likes a bunch of social media posts.
It's the optics of It. He knows what he's doing.

I can see how this works out for Bogdan - he got paid, the Hawks are now a team that could possibly reach 8th seed in the East, he'll probably be a starting SG or SF.
I don't see how this works for us as a team. We thought we have the best team in years last season and that wasn't good enough to reach the playoffs. The current team is about 30% weaker than the one from the last season. Let's hope Monte knows what he's doing.

It seems like the recipe for success in the NBA is to acquire a couple of superstars and then add a bunch of veteran role players and young talents with growing potential. We keep overpaying guys who are not superstars and we keep drafting players who can't reach that level. And even then, we let some of them walk out for free. If this sounds like I'm frustrated, that's because I am :) The last time I watched Kings in the playoffs was when I started attending high school. Now I'm 30+ years old...

people will back that clown on that too I’ll never understand how a mediocre 3rd -4th option on a team can have his ego. He better be traded by February or March whenever the hell the deadline is I’ll take a first for him I don’t care

Bogi and Haliburton are redundant today, and Haliburton will be better tomorrow. Buddy has an all time great talent with his shooting.
All time great talent man stop it

Also my bad for all the comments right now just reading through the thread. But it’s hilarious seeing the Atlanta bashing of the roster that team will be good and make the playoffs. It’s like when people say they’d take Fox over Trae when 99% of GM’s would take Trae

Next question - what if by some miracle this team actually plays exceedingly well this year? Like Bagley turns into early years AD, Fox takes a big step, Buddy gets back to his 2019 season performance. Do we still trade Buddy/Barnes etc.?

Oh wait, forgot Walton was still the coach. Nevermind.

I'm struggling with the notion that this was a nailed on correct or incorrect decision. To me the front office could've gone either direction with options for ways forward. I know we have passionate fans and strong views on this board, but those who are celebrating like this is a huge win and those forecasting doom and gloom are confusing me.

My thoughts; I think this was ultimately the right move. I say that very reluctantly as I enjoyed watching Bogi play, so will certainly mourn the loss for a bit. I certainly prefer his style of play to Buddy's, I will say that. I, like seemingly most others on this board, have come to the conclusion that we need more talent from the draft, so I'm reassured that's the direction we're tryi

I might take a break from the board for a few days now. The sarcastic comments and hand ringing over a player I liked and am sad to see go, have left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.
My wife and I very rarely argue or fight. On the rare occasion that we do it's likely over some trivial thing that we later realize was just the final trigger to vent a number of frustrations that had been built up.

That's essentially how I see a lot of fan reactions to letting Bogdanovic walk.

I said I'd prefer to keep Bogi and deal Hield because Bogdan is the slightly better player, would likely be a bit cheaper, and seemed to want to be in Sacramento vs Buddy who seems constantly aggrieved the last two years. But most of all, it would mean not losing an asset for nothing.

But the reality (based on no viable deal for Buddy popping up and the underwhelming and ultimately failed sign & trade with the Bucks for Bogi) that neither of them has much value around the league.

Would the Kings fans that are upset now really be much happier had McNair managed to land DiVincenzo and filler? Or a 2nd round pick and a trade exception? I can't speak for everyone so I don't know.

But what I suspect is that this just feels like another failure to produce a positive result that gets thrown on a heap that's been growing for 14 years or so.

The new Kings FO decided not to match on an average to somewhat above average 28 year-old shooting guard who they would certainly trade later because he isn't part of the long term plans. And they very likely did that largely because they already have an average to somewhat above average 28 year-old shooting that they want to trade because he isn't part of the long term plans.

In the grand scheme of things this doesn't move the needle for this franchise. What HAS moved the needle,and kept this small market team terrible, has been having 12 straight years of lottery picks (only broken by Vlade having traded away last year's 1st rounder) with nothing really to show for it. A roster that lacks potential or tradeable assets beyond Fox.

2007 #2 Kevin Durant
2008 #4 Russell Westbrook, #24 Serge Ibaka
2009 #3 James Harden

Sam Presti essentially changed the Sonic's/Thunder's trajectory forever with three drafts. He also is the only executive in history (I believe) to nab three future MVPs in consecutive years.

Their moves since 2012 have been questionable but they've been able to go to the WCF, trade for a 2nd star in Paul George after losing KD for nothing and then ultimately blow it up and stockpile 17 1st round picks through 2026 (all while still having a better record than the Kings) because they built that initial roster value through the draft.

I mean, yeah, maybe you catch lightning in a bottle as Petrie did on trading an over the hill Richmond for a problem child star in Webber, signing Divac, Pollard, and Barry, and drafting Jason Williams the same year your draft pick from two years back (Peja) decides to join the NBA.

But the most likely path is being a bad team and drafting your stars. The Kings have only had the first part of that formula for way, way too long.

Things will get worse before (hopefully) getting better. But I don't blame anyone who decides to take a break or gets off the train completely. Sports are supposed to be fun and the Kings haven't provided nearly enough of that.

Bogi leaving for nothing is just the latest small example of a team having a pretty bare cupboard and not maximizing even those meager assets well. It's years of frustration spilling over into a very minor roster move.

Last edited:
My wife and I very rarely argue or fight. On the rare occasion that we do it's likely over some trivial thing that we later realize was just the final trigger to vent a number of frustrations that had been built up.

I said I'd prefer to keep Bogi and deal Hield because Bogdan is the slightly better player, would likely be a bit cheaper, and seemed to want to be in Sacramento vs Buddy who seems constantly aggrieved the last two years. But most of all, it would mean not losing an asset for nothing.

But the reality (based on no viable deal for Buddy popping up and the underwhelming and ultimately failed sign & trade with the Bucks for Bogi) that neither of them has much value around the league.

Would the Kings fans that are upset now really be much happier had McNair managed to land DiVincenzo and filler? Or a 2nd round pick and a trade exception? I can't speak for everyone so I don't know.

But what I suspect is that this just feels like another failure to produce a positive result that gets thrown on a heap that's been growing for 14 years or so.

The new Kings FO decided not to match on an average to somewhat above average 28 year-old shooting guard so they could trade him later because he isn't part of the long term plans. And they very likely did that largely because they already have an average to somewhat above average 28 year-old shooting that they want to trade because he isn't part of the long term plans.

In the grand scheme of things this doesn't move the needle for this franchise. What HAS moved the needle,and kept this small market team terrible, has been having 12 straight years of lottery picks (only broken by Vlade having traded away last year's 1st rounder) with nothing really to show for it. A roster that lacks potential or tradeable assets beyond Fox.

2007 #2 Kevin Durant
2009 #3 James Harden

Sam Presti essentially changed the Sonic's/Thunder's trajectory forever with three drafts. He also is the only executive in history (I believe) to nab three future MVPs in consecutive years.

Their moves since 2012 have been questionable but they've been able to go to the WCF, trade for a 2nd star in Paul George after losing KD for nothing and then ultimately blow it up and stockpile 17 1st round picks through 2026 (all while still having a better record than the Kings) because they built that initial roster value through the draft.

I mean, yeah, maybe you catch lightning in a bottle as Petrie did on trading an over the hill Richmond for a problem child star in Webber, signing Divac, Pollard, and Barry, and drafting Jason Williams the same year your draft pick from two years back (Peja) decides to join the NBA.

But the most likely path is being a bad team and drafting your stars. The Kings have only had the first part of that formula for way, way too long.

Things will get worse before (hopefully) getting better. But I don't blame anyone who decides to take a break or gets off the train completely. Sports are supposed to be fun and the Kings haven't provided nearly enough of that.

Bogi leaving for nothing is just the latest small example of a team having a pretty bare cupboard and not maximizing even those meager assets well. It's years of frustration spilling over into a very minor roster move.
Bravo, sir.

The new Kings FO decided not to match on an average to somewhat above average 28 year-old shooting guard who they would certainly trade later because he isn't part of the long term plans. And they very likely did that largely because they already have an average to somewhat above average 28 year-old shooting that they want to trade because he isn't part of the long term plans.

2007 #2 Kevin Durant
2009 #3 James Harden

Like I've said, draft Doncic instead of Bagley and right now we'd be looking at competing for a 4-5 playoff seed next season with both Buddy and Bogdan on the roster. Heck, if Bagley had played this past season and Walton not done such a bad job, we might have made the playoffs with some hope of taking a step to the 5th seed this coming year as well. Now granted, this second scenario might not be good enough for some here who want championship potential or nothing, but I'd gladly take it.

I'm no social media genius, and I get the whole professional image thing, but you could always "like" tweets that give you a chuckle, or mention you etc. I mean, I would like those tweets for those reasons. If being a consummate professional just means a guy like Harrison Barnes who is happy sitting on big paychecks, being pretty passive AND inconsistent/not very valuable then I'll pass. The day Buddy stops working hard or yells at/threatens reporters or is actually a bad locker room presence is the day I'm more concerned - not when he likes a bunch of social media posts.
Sometimes a "like" is just a bookmark as well. Who knows what it means. However, Buddy usually tells you straight up if he has an issue, whether we want to hear it or not.

I see ONE NBA accomplishment (as a rookie).
I honestly thought Bogi would be a better player (myself) having seen him play internationally and for the Olympics, but he cannot get where he wants on the floor with the ball. This is why other posts elluded to pounding the rock and then forcing up shots.

Maybe he will "fit" in better with other teams, but since his rookie season he as been inconsistent at best. The excuses for his inconsistent play are he's tired, he played too much international ball, he's injured, etc.

I am not saying Bogi isn't a good player, but I would prefer a player with the following:
  1. Speed
  2. Athleticism
  3. Ability to get where he wants on the floor
  4. Defense
  5. Passing
  6. Shooting
These are ranked in order of need IF we are building around Fox, and I can see Tyrese having an advantage in many of the these top needs.

Atlanta would be doing themselves a favor because the contract wouldn’t have included poison pills to thwart a match. The TPE helps you not have to match salaries and can be very valuable in the hands of a competent GM.

But I guess one has to go through such mental gymnastics to still justify being a kings fan. I sincerely wish you all the best even if I don’t expect it.
Remove poison pills from your vocabulary. It isnt what you think it means. Cbafaq.com question 91.