Woj: Kings let Bogi go

Well, at least Bogi can now be prioritized in Atlanta. Oh, he’s not the first option you say.
He’ll be the third or fourth option in Atlanta. Perception was that he wanted a bigger role, but I think he just wanted to get paid. Can’t totally blame him but I don’t get great vibes from Trey Young. Will be curious to see if this is a great fit for him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Last year you were all up in arms about Bogi playing international comp games and how that led to his injury propensities and poor play for the Kings, now you are finished as a Kings fan because Monte passed on paying a 28 yo unathletic guard 4/72 that has had inconsistent play and health. Sweet
It’s true. I’ve been saying it for awhile liike others on here. He’s not THAT good. Hes not terrible by any means. A smart, smart move by Monte. He’s killed it so far this first year.

Really, the main thing people seem to forget (even Kings fans, which is surprising since national media I can understand them not watching much Kings games, but our own fanbase forgetting this is a little embarrassing) is that Buddy Hield was misused by Luke Walton.

He played all 82 games in 2018-19, first and foremost. 42% 3pt range (56% effective). 2.5 ast, 1.8 TO, and 5 rebounds per game are good numbers for his position.

I mean, put yourself in his shoes, if you did that well one year, and suddenly new bosses are entertaining putting you on the bench, you'd have to at least ask, are they using me correctly?
I think Buddy has a big year.

He’ll be the third or fourth option in Atlanta. Perception was that he wanted a bigger role, but I think he just wanted to get paid. Can’t totally blame him but I don’t get great vibes from Trey Young. Will be curious to see if this is a great fit for him.
I hope he didn't really expect any different from what you said here. I sincerely hope it wasn't just his agent talking. I mean as an athlete who had such short shelf life, you gotta pick up that money bag one way or the other, but I really hope he knew what he signed up for.

Yep, careful what you wish for Bogdan. I think he'll be more highly prioritized than here though so good for him. Now maybe we can get back to some Buddy Buckets if Buddy doesn't first grab a barf bucket once he's back in contact with Luke Walton.

I'm still wondering to myself what McNair's approach is here? Is he actively trying to tank? If he is, then it would be nice to start trading away some guys that are going to help the squad win more games than are necessary to secure a top pick.

Is he trying to run it back and hope Haliburton is the ROY and go from there? If he is, then he did a poor job of improving the team.

It's just kind of confusing so far. Crossing my fingers that this isn't some lukewarm attempt at rebuilding and staying competitive at the same time....since that hasn't worked at all in the decade plus playoff drought.

I think Buddy has a big year.
As I said just above about athletes getting paid, if he wants to continue getting paid, his best bet is to play hard (which he already does and I appreciate and respect him a lot for that) and perform at a high level.

If we read it on the surface level, we let the guy who started over him last year go so whichever way he looks at it, we are putting faith in him to succeed. (unless we arent done and he is next to be traded... haha)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm still wondering to myself what McNair's approach is here? Is he actively trying to tank? If he is, then it would be nice to start trading away some guys that are going to help the squad win more games than are necessary to secure a top pick.

Is he trying to run it back and hope Haliburton is the ROY and go from there? If he is, then he did a poor job of improving the team.

It's just kind of confusing so far.
I feel a stealth tank. No more cobbling together mismatched pieces at above market value. Let Vlade’s garbage leave, then build the team in his vision. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it’s cliche but THE PROCESS HAS BEGUN!!!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

It's just kind of confusing so far. Crossing my fingers that this isn't some lukewarm attempt at rebuilding and staying competitive at the same time....since that hasn't worked at all in the decade plus playoff drought.
What's confusing? He's a new GM and we will have 4 or 5 players under contract at the end of the season. Hopefully a top 5 pick. A good chance some of our expirings could be shipped for picks or Buddy could return something "on our timeline". It's a total tear down except for Fox, with Haliburton and Bagley along for the ride.

It's just kind of confusing so far.
We have to see what he does next. Does he blow his wad on Whiteside and pretty much dent any idea about flexibility? My personal belief is he knows that this is a fairly complete core. You have almost every position covered either with potential or provable worth. You take it in and see what it does. I just hope he can recognize misuse really early because that's the biggest threat over the entire season regardless of who they sign or lose in FA.

Even if they don't win games they have to use players like Buddy and Barnes especially correctly so they can regain some lost value.

It feels like Monte has done absolutely nothing this offseason. Drafting a Haliburton that fell into our laps and maxing out Fox were kind of no brainers so they dont really count. I guess Vlade did such a bad job that Monte is like if I do absolutely nothing, I cant mess up and I wont be as bad as Vlade.

It feels like Monte has done absolutely nothing this offseason. Drafting a stud that fell into our laps and maxing out Fox were kind of no brainers so they dont really count. I guess Vlade did such a bad job that Monte is like if I do absolutely nothing, I cant mess up and I wont be as bad as Vlade.
We aren't inside the room so we can't tell if he is doing nothing. At least from all the things he has done, there aren't a lot to criticize on. (But then again, this post has 13 pages so...)

What's confusing? He's a new GM and we will have 4 or 5 players under contract at the end of the season. Hopefully a top 5 pick. A good chance some of our expirings could be shipped for picks or Buddy could return something "on our timeline".
The confusing part will be if we run it back and just wind up with the 7th pick in the draft with no other assets to show for it. That's a half a$$ed attempt at rebuilding. Obviously it's early but a ton of moves have been made and the Kings have made zero so far. If he doesn't trade the guys of value for future assets and either lets them play out their contracts or waits until they're 3 month rentals to trade them, then that's poor management. It would be back to the old "Play hard for the 8th spot. Give up with a month left and tank. Wind up picking 10th" type of tank.

Well I'm happy that Bogi got what he wanted but I still wish ATL ill and hope their season is a dumpster fire and that they have to trade Bogi to another team and pay his kicker.
The Hawks are doing the ol' Vlade special.

Taking one of the worst teams in basketball and signing non-star veterans to big contacts in an attempt to make a run now. The veterans they signed are a shade better than Vlade's fare, and it is the East so they might sneak into the playoffs. But forget this year; this is 4 years of blah that ends up between the 7th seed and the 11th seed.

That team NEEDED more young talent beyond the blah core of Trae and Collins. Where are they gonna get their second star? Hell, their best player beyond Trae is above average starter Gallinari. They don't even have a chance to acquire a fringe all-star anywhere.

I feel a stealth tank. No more cobbling together mismatched pieces at above market value. Let Vlade’s garbage leave, then build the team in his vision. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it’s cliche but THE PROCESS HAS BEGUN!!!
The thing is Walton cobbled together misuse, Vlade on paper put together a super complete team. Super complete. You had shooting, athletes, some size, some defense, talent. 4 players in Fox, Hield, Barnes, and Bagley that can and should get you 15-20 a game most nights. What was done to it was the real travesty. You knew Fox off the ball was horrendous so we saw more and more Joseph and him together. Buddy isn't the greatest ball handler so back up PG baby! I mean what the ever loving ****!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It feels like Monte has done absolutely nothing this offseason. Drafting a Haliburton that fell into our laps and maxing out Fox were kind of no brainers so they dont really count. I guess Vlade did such a bad job that Monte is like if I do absolutely nothing, I cant mess up and I wont be as bad as Vlade.
One can argue that by not panicking and overpaying random mediocre vets like pretty much every other team, Monte has done a fantastic job.

The Hawks are doing the ol' Vlade special.

Taking one of the worst teams in basketball and signing non-star veterans to big contacts in an attempt to make a run now. The veterans they signed are a shade better than Vlade's fare, and it is the East so they might sneak into the playoffs. But forget this year; this is 4 years of blah that ends up between the 7th seed and the 11th seed.

That team NEEDED more young talent beyond the blah core of Trae and Collins. Where are they gonna get their second star? Hell, their best player beyond Trae is above average starter Gallinari. They don't even have a chance to acquire a fringe all-star anywhere.
Spot on. Yeah the only thing they have going for them is at least they are prioritizing shooting which is clearly the cheat code to being not terrible if it's possible. The real question is when their recent lotto picks and maybe franchise PF in Collins start getting heated because minutes and roles are shrinking. If they run a platoon and win it might be doable for a bit but platoons are always built in a mine field. They end up the worst and never work to the highest level at their best.

We aren't inside the room so we can't tell if he is doing nothing. At least from all the things he has done, there aren't a lot to criticize on. (But then again, this post has 13 pages so...)
Trying isnt doing. We still have nothing to show for his trying and pretty much all the free agents are gone. I believe he was trying to get a trade going and thats what took us so long to decline. I mean that has to be the reason to let all this time go by and nothing to show for it right? I have to believe he was working trades and just couldnt get anything for buddy. Sigh. In Monte we trust...In Monte we trust

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The confusing part will be if we run it back and just wind up with the 7th pick in the draft with no other assets to show for it. That's a half a$$ed attempt at rebuilding. Obviously it's early but a ton of moves have been made and the Kings have made zero so far. If he doesn't trade the guys of value for future assets and either lets them play out their contracts or waits until they're 3 month rentals to trade them, then that's poor management. It would be back to the old "Play hard for the 8th spot. Give up with a month left and tank. Wind up picking 10th" type of tank.
We have 2 legitimate NBA starters right now, we're building a roster that can't win games even if they try. That's the point.