Woj: Kings let Bogi go

Trying isnt doing. We still have nothing to show for his trying and pretty much all the free agents are gone. I believe he was trying to get a trade going and thats what took us so long to decline. I mean that has to be the reason to let all this time go by and nothing to show for it right? I have to believe he was working trades and just couldnt get anything for buddy. Sigh. In Monte we trust...In Monte we trust
I'm just glad he IS our GM and not Vlade or quite frankly, most of us here.

In response to the bolded line, I think you either got confused by the other teams aggressively doing things or used to our current world wanting instant gratification...

The thing is Walton cobbled together misuse, Vlade on paper put together a super complete team. Super complete. You had shooting, athletes, some size, some defense, talent. 4 players in Fox, Hield, Barnes, and Bagley that can and should get you 15-20 a game most nights. What was done to it was the real travesty. You knew Fox off the ball was horrendous so we saw more and more Joseph and him together. Buddy isn't the greatest ball handler so back up PG baby! I mean what the ever loving ****!
fox did miss 31 games and bagley like 70.

One can argue that by not panicking and overpaying random mediocre vets like pretty much every other team, Monte has done a fantastic job.
They would be wrong. It would just mean he isnt doing a crappy job like the other crappy teams. Picking diamonds in the rough or collecting draft picks and free agent steals would be considered a fantastic job. But there's still time, just a good amount of it has passed by.

One can argue that by not panicking and overpaying random mediocre vets like pretty much every other team, Monte has done a fantastic job.
Plus a million. Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing. Losing Bogdan doesn't technically even create some gaping hole. Veteran depth is suffering after this summer for sure but as stated above, believe it or not depth was Vlades anchor. He put together a complete team but clearly never put it into a real world perspective. He signed "assets" without remembering those "assets" are tied to mouths with pouty faces and agents who more often than not get their way.

We have 2 legitimate NBA starters right now, we're building a roster that can't win games even if they try. That's the point.
Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bjelica and Holmes are all legit NBA starters and we've seen in the past that a similar lineup was a fringe playoff team. Now the bench will obviously be much weaker than it was last year but these guys are all capable of winning enough games to not be picking in the top 7.

Next question - what if by some miracle this team actually plays exceedingly well this year? Like Bagley turns into early years AD, Fox takes a big step, Buddy gets back to his 2019 season performance. Do we still trade Buddy/Barnes etc.?

Oh wait, forgot Walton was still the coach. Nevermind.
Hypothetically, if this happened, we'd be in a much better spot to add then we were a year ago when we blew it. But I don't think we need to worry too much about this.

fox did miss 31 games and bagley like 70.
And this team looked just as bad with them early. This team was deep. If anything that overdepth Vlade signed should have kept them in it. It was actually the injuries that kept a total locker room implosion at bay. They turned it on late when injuries allowed Walton to play players that fit his system a little better but they got a little lucky too. And you can check the game threads, some on this board saw that teams were figuring out the scheme and in the bubble they stuck it right to Walton as opposing coaches gave him purple nurples and wedgies galor.

Who out of Fox, Hield, Barnes, Bagley are you considering not legitimate NBA starters?
Bagley will be but I would argue isn't today. Between Barnes and Hield most people would like them to be first off the bench, but I guess they are legit. eta: I should have said imho, on a playoff team 2-3 of these guys would be coming off the bench. Obviously there is hope that Bagley will be an all-star level guy but he didn't really get to play much last season so it's unclear what we have right now.

Last edited:
I'm just glad he IS our GM and not Vlade or quite frankly, most of us here.

In response to the bolded line, I think you either got confused by the other teams aggressively doing things or used to our current world wanting instant gratification...
not confused, just jealous. Better teams got better and some worse teams got better. We are pretty much where we were when free agency started. Even OKC who definitely got worse, has a bright future with a bajillion draft picks. Not all or even any of this is Monte's fault. Like I said, I believe he is trying, he just has nothing to show for it which is upsetting. He tried to get the s & t to the bucks, He tried to get another s & t with other teams. He probably tried to trade buddy in the last 48 hours. Just nothing happened. But I guess i should be happy our new GM at least knows how to pick up the phone.

I liked Bogi. I would have preferred to keep him but you only do that if you have a deal for Buddy. Otherwise you risk going into the season with unhappy players who get in each other's way and a very good chance of getting a draft pick in the late lottery.

Make no mistake about it. The only lasting piece of this team right now is De'Aaron Fox with next season to be an opportunity to see if Bagley, Haliburton, and possibly Woodard and/or Ramsey are potential building blocks at well. Nobody else is part of the long term plan. And even if Bagley comes around and Haliburton is a great fit next to Fox I think you need a star wing player to make it all work.

A top 5-10 pick in next year's draft could provide exactly that.

not confused, just jealous. Better teams got better and some worse teams got better. We are pretty much where we were when free agency started. Even OKC who definitely got worse, has a bright future with a bajillion draft picks. Not all or even any of this is Monte's fault. Like I said, I believe he is trying, he just has nothing to show for it which is upsetting. He tried to get the s & t to the bucks, He tried to get another s & t with other teams. He probably tried to trade buddy in the last 48 hours. Just nothing happened. But I guess i should be happy our new GM at least knows how to pick up the phone.
“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

I liked Bogi. I would have preferred to keep him but you only do that if you have a deal for Buddy. Otherwise you risk going into the season with unhappy players who get in each other's way and a very good chance of getting a draft pick in the late lottery.

Make no mistake about it. The only lasting piece of this team right now is De'Aaron Fox with next season to be an opportunity to see if Bagley, Haliburton, and possibly Woodard and/or Ramsey are potential building blocks at well. Nobody else is part of the long term plan. And even if Bagley comes around and Haliburton is a great fit next to Fox I think you need a star wing player to make it all work.

Taking the purple tinted glasses off and besides fox, you have and injury proned player, a player that slid down the draft in one of the weakest drafts in recent history and 2 second round picks. Ok putting them back on now

Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bjelica and Holmes are all legit NBA starters and we've seen in the past that a similar lineup was a fringe playoff team. Now the bench will obviously be much weaker than it was last year but these guys are all capable of winning enough games to not be picking in the top 7.
You could be right and that is without considering any improvement from Bagley and possibly less Injuries. Having said that, the West got stronger and several of the teams who picked ahead of us got much better so we are likely to hover somewhere between 6-10. Even that range looks pretty good in this upcoming draft.

If I'm being cynical, I don't think it can yet be assumed that Fox is who we should place our bets on. I mean, the extension we gave was a "duh" move and by virtue of that he is our long term plan; I just don't think we can assume that it's the correct long term plan yet. It would be like saying our long term plan is to build around Mike Conley if you know what I mean.

It is 100% absolutely dumb. Mannix and Marks are thinking logically, Shelbourne not so much.

Blocking team building approach? Give me a break. Especially when the supposed logjam of unhappy players would be rectified at some point soon.

Same asinine reasoning kept Vlade — allegedly — from drafting #77. Because the team already had a PG and primary ball handler. Complete rubbish.

IDC if the KINGS have 10 guards on the roster. They aren’t going to the Finals anytime soon and are clearly in rebuild mode again. So how exactly does keeping Bogdan on the roster a while longer in order to trade him or Buddy when the market heats up again at the deadline hurt the “movement”?

It doesn’t.

Lastly, I LMAO at KINGS fan that lobbied not to match that typically whine and cry about the FO not maximizing or acquiring assets. Hypocrites.

Why fans care so freaking much about how much players make and the salary cap is beyond me. It ain’t your money! Last I checked the KINGS have never missed out on a top flight FA because they had cap issues. We don’t get top FA’s anyway, right?

Furthermore all most fans do is complain about the moderate FA’s they do sign and overpay anyway — so why the eff do they care about this? I mean, by matching Bogdanovic they then couldn’t go make another dumb overpriced FA signing, right?

Unbelievable.

STRIKE ONE for the new FO.
This again? Might as well say you don't care when Buddy Hield dribbles it off his leg out of bounds. Why the salary cap matters to the fans even if it's not your money is just... so... basic...

BTW, those who talk about acquiring assets mean draft picks or players under 25 on a rookie contract. Not a ho-hum shooting guard just good enough to put the 2021 draft pick in jeopardy(which btw is just as good and top-heavy as 2018). Signing Bogi is signing George Hill all over again.

Last edited:
You could be right and that is without considering any improvement from Bagley and possibly less Injuries. Having said that, the West got stronger and several of the teams who picked ahead of us got much better so we are likely to hover somewhere between 6-10. Even that range looks pretty good in this upcoming draft.
I just feel like 6-10 is another half baked attempt at tanking.

Now if the Kings win more games than they need to because Fox takes a step ahead, Haliburton looks like he's in year 3 and Bagley looks like he's going to turn into something.....then I'd be ok with that.

But we've all been around long enough to know that it'll be something more like trading Holmes and Bjelica as 3 month rentals for peanuts or riding Buddy and Barnes hard while taking minutes away from developmental players that need to be good for a real run at the playoffs in the future.

We all know the drill. Just hoping it doesn't go down like that again.

Taking the purple tinted glasses off and besides fox, you have and injury proned player, a player that slid down the draft in one of the weakest drafts in recent history and 2 second round picks. Ok putting them back on now
Yeah, it's potentially a bleak picture. Which is why arguing about whether to match on Bogi is a bit pointless. If Bagley and Haliburton don't turn out to be difference makers then the Kings have a long way to go to be a good team and holding on to an above average, 28 year old SG doesn't change that fact at all.

But the perpetual optimist in me says that Bagley will at least show that he's a solid piece, Hali will be a great glue guy and next year's draft will deliver the piece that completes the core.

The only thing I'm worried about now is Buddy actually returning to form and costing us a good pick. We know now that the Fox-Buddy backcourt can theoretically carry your team to a shade below .500.
If the worst thing that happens is "more good Buddy" that really isn't terrible, considering he's under contract for 4 years.

Similarly with Barnes. In both cases I would think Monte would just use their success to get more in return.

If I'm being cynical, I don't think it can yet be assumed that Fox is who we should place our bets on. I mean, the extension we gave was a "duh" move and by virtue of that he is our long term plan; I just don't think we can assume that it's the correct long term plan yet. It would be like saying our long term plan is to build around Mike Conley if you know what I mean.
I don't know that Fox will ever be the best player on a contending team. But if he's 1b (ideally with Bagley and Haliburton as your 3rd and 4th best players) then maybe you're in a good spot. We'll have to see where the Kings end up in next year's draft and who they come away with.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't know that Fox will ever be the best player on a contending team. But if he's 1b (ideally with Bagley and Haliburton as your 3rd and 4th best players) then maybe you're in a good spot. We'll have to see where the Kings end up in next year's draft and who they come away with.
The great thing about the 2021 draft is that if you whiff there, the 2022 draft is probably even better.

We'll see if he stays healthy and where he comes in at physically development wise but Bagley in terms of potential is this teams 1A. He was the day he was drafted. The tools and athletic ability are there. Him putting it together and not being as breakable are the sticking points.