Why Isn't Sasha Playing?

lol got it.

By the way I love Bulgaria... I was there last January... Blagoevgrad, and Sofia, also Rila monastery. Really like Blagoevgrad. I had the chicken strips coated in corn flakes and fried.

A fantastic invention. Cheers.
haha there isn’t a restaurant here that doesn’t offer this :)
You had a job connected with the American University there?
Rila monastery is magical place , love it too

haha there isn’t a restaurant here that doesn’t offer this :)
You had a job connected with the American University there?
Rila monastery is magical place , love it too
No... but I did walk around the campus! Neat spot - an American University in a small town in Bulgaria.

Rila was incredible. I went into the museum too and saw all the relics, etc.

I was there visiting monasteries and churches in Greece, Bulgaria, and Serbia.

Sounds great :)
The american university is one of the most important things for the town ... It is small town but with two big Unis
and that brings a lot of young people in ..

Coach pretty much says why he is not playing - he is not good enough ....
Where did he say so?
I think this who plays/who not is more determined on upcoming trade deadline - every team want that possible "selling items" to make stats, so their trade value could be bigger. I predict that Sasha will play more after trade deadline despite if we will make trade or not...

Where did he say so?
I think this who plays/who not is more determined on upcoming trade deadline - every team want that possible "selling items" to make stats, so their trade value could be bigger. I predict that Sasha will play more after trade deadline despite if we will make trade or not...
There is Twitter clip in almost every bulgarian site where Brown explains why Sasha is not playing ...
He is saying somethig like , he is not shining that is why he isnt playing

Kings on NBCS в X: „Mike Brown shares why Sasha Vezenkov hasn't been in the rotation recently https://t.co/65e76WS4p2“ / X (twitter.com)

how did those folks in Serbia treat you?
Serbia is an amazing country!

In spite of the horrific and unjustified things our government has done to them, the Serbians do not hold a grudge, generally speaking, against Americans. It's truly an incredible thing. They are some of the warmest, most welcoming, friendly, and positive people I have ever met. I became fascinated with the history of Serbia after visiting, and I learned that northern Serbia (Belgrade in particular) is the ancient homeland of the Celtic people. I had no idea.

The national demeanor is not of a typical slavic country, which can be somewhat cold. I call them the Italians of the slavic world. They are living la dolce vita for sure. Also, a lot of pizza - they are really just across the Adriatic sea from Italy. Serbia has a very high Lasagna Rating.

And of course, the second you mention the magic words "Vlade Divac!" or "Peja Stojakovic!" - they will light up and give you a big hug. Tell them you're from Sacramento, and they will literally invite you into their home to meet their grandmother. I'm not exaggerating here!! :cool::cool:

And if you like giant plates of grilled meat of all varieties, Serbia is the place for you.

Last edited:
Mate you hurt my feelings ;)
But all you said about our Serbian brothers is pretty much 100% right …
And after you mention Sacramento I am sure they are even more warm :)
Serbia is dying for sports and Basketball in general , it’s their national treasure…

Mate you hurt my feelings;)
But all you said about our Serbian brothers is pretty much 100% right …
And after you mention Sacramento I am sure they are even more warm :)
Serbia is dying for sports and Basketball in general , it’s their national treasure…
You are Bulgarian... I know you can handle it! :)

Last edited:
You can’t say general opinion for us honestly ….
You can see great hospitality as well as pure hate ….
Strange small country we are , we are less in population then just Chicago itself but you see here all the positive and negative sides of humanity …

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You can’t say general opinion for us honestly ….
You can see great hospitality as well as pure hate ….
Strange small country we are , we are less in population then just Chicago itself but you see here all the positive and negative sides of humanity …
I must admit, I've never seen a Bulgarian use the word "mate" before

Honestly, seems pretty fair. Lyles earned his leash with his struggles early and he's absolutely come on strong the last 5 games or so. But basically him and Monk are the only reliable options to turn to off the bench that' really separated from the rest of the guys. And Brown has already proven that he'll keep going with guys and they will get an opportunity again. Duarte might have ruined his with his stinker vs the Magic, so that could give Sasha a chance to step in.

I get people want him over HB, but it's just not going to happen. HB is an 11 year NBA vet and the 2nd longest tenured King. You just don't take away his minutes and plop him on the bench. You trade him. Sasha, although very experienced professionally, is an NBA rookie. He doesn't have that same leash that a vet like HB or Huerter do. Especially after the year they had for us last season.

I think you pretty well lock these minutes in as guys Brown trusts night in and night out at this point:

Fox 34 ||
?? || Monk 28
Keegan 34 ||
HB 25 || Lyles 18
Sabonis 34 ||

And of course, in competitive games, these are all light minutes for Fox/Keegs/Domas. And while I think HB should be around 25 MPG, that's probably light as well on most nights. But if we just work with this as a base, you got 14 minutes behind Fox, 14 minutes behind Keegs, 20 minutes ahead of Monk, 14 minutes behind Domas, and 5 minutes behind HB and Lyles. Which leaves 67 minutes split up between:

Davion/Keon
Huerter/Duarte
Sasha
Len/Javale

Just not a whole lot of room to squeeze everybody in. And this is probably being very generous with the starters minutes workload; probably closer to only 55ish available minutes behind these 6 guys. And Sasha's problem is the 3 guys ahead of him on the DC at the 3/4, are pretty well locked in. Unless we move Lyles to the 5, but don't see that happening.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Serbia is an amazing country!

In spite of the horrific and unjustified things our government has done to them, the Serbians do not hold a grudge, generally speaking, against Americans. It's truly an incredible thing. They are some of the warmest, most welcoming, friendly, and positive people I have ever met. I became fascinated with the history of Serbia after visiting, and I learned that northern Serbia (Belgrade in particular) is the ancient homeland of the Celtic people. I had no idea.

The national demeanor is not of a typical slavic country, which can be somewhat cold. I call them the Italians of the slavic world. They are living la dolce vita for sure. Also, a lot of pizza - they are really just across the Adriatic sea from Italy. Serbia has a very high Lasagna Rating.

And of course, the second you mention the magic words "Vlade Divac!" or "Peja Stojakovic!" - they will light up and give you a big hug. Tell them you're from Sacramento, and they will literally invite you into their home to meet their grandmother. I'm not exaggerating here!! :cool::cool:

And if you like giant plates of grilled meat of all varieties, Serbia is the place for you.
Also, what slavic country did you come across that seemed cold?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, seems pretty fair. Lyles earned his leash with his struggles early and he's absolutely come on strong the last 5 games or so. But basically him and Monk are the only reliable options to turn to off the bench that' really separated from the rest of the guys. And Brown has already proven that he'll keep going with guys and they will get an opportunity again. Duarte might have ruined his with his stinker vs the Magic, so that could give Sasha a chance to step in.

I get people want him over HB, but it's just not going to happen. HB is an 11 year NBA vet and the 2nd longest tenured King. You just don't take away his minutes and plop him on the bench. You trade him. Sasha, although very experienced professionally, is an NBA rookie. He doesn't have that same leash that a vet like HB or Huerter do. Especially after the year they had for us last season.

I think you pretty well lock these minutes in as guys Brown trusts night in and night out at this point:

Fox 34 ||
?? || Monk 28
Keegan 34 ||
HB 25 || Lyles 18
Sabonis 34 ||

And of course, in competitive games, these are all light minutes for Fox/Keegs/Domas. And while I think HB should be around 25 MPG, that's probably light as well on most nights. But if we just work with this as a base, you got 14 minutes behind Fox, 14 minutes behind Keegs, 20 minutes ahead of Monk, 14 minutes behind Domas, and 5 minutes behind HB and Lyles. Which leaves 67 minutes split up between:

Davion/Keon
Huerter/Duarte
Sasha
Len/Javale

Just not a whole lot of room to squeeze everybody in. And this is probably being very generous with the starters minutes workload; probably closer to only 55ish available minutes behind these 6 guys. And Sasha's problem is the 3 guys ahead of him on the DC at the 3/4, are pretty well locked in. Unless we move Lyles to the 5, but don't see that happening.
Thanks, that’s a great analysis and really underscores the basic issues at the heart of our problem.

Fox 34 ||
?? || Monk 28
Keegan 34 ||
HB 25 || Lyles 18
Sabonis 34 ||

Davion/Keon
Huerter/Duarte
Sasha
Len/Javale

Sorry man but that sounds a little bit like - he played us well in the past , so we will not look at the fututre but stay in the past ...
Whatever HB did for the team was in the past , this season he is playing BAD and this is clear for everyone ... Yes last game versus Magic was his second best after the opener with Jazz , but that does not mean , we have to wait 30 more games for another good ...
Waitting for him to play the good game is killing the guys who want to proove them selves and will play with heart ... He is not burning into the games and that is clear , even in the games he is playing well ... Said it once will said it again - for me he is one happy employe with a brand new juicy contract and he has nothing to play for ....
I also wonder if you put Lyles and Vezenkov in new team at the moment , where they are both without history (lets say Wizards) who will gain more minutes .... I do not think it will be Lyles ... But yes , last 4/5 games he is just great , so no question about his 18 minutes, even more , he deserves more minutes then HB (In my opinion)

But it's problem just for the supporters of Vezenkov at the moment , cause Coach has his opinion and we see it ... We continue to hope and pray for Kings wins , and whoever scores or plays is on second place , right ?

Sorry man but that sounds a little bit like - he played us well in the past , so we will not look at the fututre but stay in the past ...
Whatever HB did for the team was in the past , this season he is playing BAD and this is clear for everyone ... Yes last game versus Magic was his second best after the opener with Jazz , but that does not mean , we have to wait 30 more games for another good ...
Waitting for him to play the good game is killing the guys who want to proove them selves and will play with heart ... He is not burning into the games and that is clear , even in the games he is playing well ... Said it once will said it again - for me he is one happy employe with a brand new juicy contract and he has nothing to play for ....
I also wonder if you put Lyles and Vezenkov in new team at the moment , where they are both without history (lets say Wizards) who will gain more minutes .... I do not think it will be Lyles ... But yes , last 4/5 games he is just great , so no question about his 18 minutes, even more , he deserves more minutes then HB (In my opinion)

But it's problem just for the supporters of Vezenkov at the moment , cause Coach has his opinion and we see it ... We continue to hope and pray for Kings wins , and whoever scores or plays is on second place , right ?

You may not like it, but that's how things work in the NBA. Coaches have their core and trusted guys. HB is a long-time vet that's frankly earned the right to not just get outright benched. You just don't do that to guys if you want other players around the league to respect your organization. They'd take note of us just putting HB out to pasture.

I want to see more Sasha too, but it's not going to come at the expense of HB (coaches trust/Vet), Lyles (is just better) and Keegan (obviously just better/young guy). He basically needs to show he can beat out Duarte for the back-up 3/remaining back-up 4 minutes to get on the floor. Which is where he was before these last 5 games.

You may not like it, but that's how things work in the NBA. Coaches have their core and trusted guys. HB is a long-time vet that's frankly earned the right to not just get outright benched. You just don't do that to guys if you want other players around the league to respect your organization. They'd take note of us just putting HB out to pasture.

I want to see more Sasha too, but it's not going to come at the expense of HB (coaches trust/Vet), Lyles (is just better) and Keegan (obviously just better/young guy). He basically needs to show he can beat out Duarte for the back-up 3/remaining back-up 4 minutes to get on the floor. Which is where he was before these last 5 games.
Totally agree with you (without the part where Lyles is better) , for me the ''inside'' culture of NBA is something new as well , so i am adjusting too...
In Europe we have a bit different look of the things - play the better man , not the most popular ...
In Oly Sasha played more the Papalukas , who is former NBA , captain of Oly, captain of Greek NT and a walking legend ... But Sasha was better for the team , so he played more ...
Despite all the talkings right now i still trust that we will start seeing much more of Vezenkov after 08.02 (and will be with our team) so you will change fast your mind about who is better, worst ;)
I only hope that we wont see this with Vezenkov wearing Bulls or Wizards shirt in our Center ....

The Kings gave HB what's in all likelihood the last big contract of his career, because it's valuable (specifically to our unanimous CoTY) to have players that are willing to do what they're told, and don't have a career interest in pumping up their numbers. We (over) paid HB to sacrifice his game for the sake of the team
  • HB could rebound more, but by not being focused on his own numbers, he allows Domas to lead the league in rebounding.
  • HB could shoot more, but by cutting his attempts, he has the highest scoring efficiency of anybody in the starting lineup. When he's called on he has delivered
  • And while I wouldn't call HB a lockdown defender, I rarely see him being targeted by other teams on isolations

In any lineup in the NBA, there are going to be roleplayers and stars. HB has changed his game to fit into the role that the coaches have requested. Where some of Sasha's fans seem to believe that the team should change to make him a star. I haven't seen where Sasha's play has made a convincing argument that he should be a star in the NBA.

The Kings gave HB what's in all likelihood the last big contract of his career, because it's valuable (specifically to our unanimous CoTY) to have players that are willing to do what they're told, and don't have a career interest in pumping up their numbers. We (over) paid HB to sacrifice his game for the sake of the team
  • HB could rebound more, but by not being focused on his own numbers, he allows Domas to lead the league in rebounding.
  • HB could shoot more, but by cutting his attempts, he has the highest scoring efficiency of anybody in the starting lineup. When he's called on he has delivered
  • And while I wouldn't call HB a lockdown defender, I rarely see him being targeted by other teams on isolations

In any lineup in the NBA, there are going to be roleplayers and stars. HB has changed his game to fit into the role that the coaches have requested. Where some of Sasha's fans seem to believe that the team should change to make him a star. I haven't seen where Sasha's play has made a convincing argument that he should be a star in the NBA.
That is the only think the ''Sasha fans'' are asking for ... We (I suppose not only I ) just want ot see IF he is really NBA material ... But this just can't happen with 2 minutes there , 2 minutes here and mostly bench polishing ....
Give him 10-15 games with reasonable minute with Fox-Sabonis-Monk-Keegan and if he is not for this unit - froze him ...
But it leaves a bit the impression that he is not even given the chance to proove ...
I know there is training , something we are not watching , but since he got there he was all but only pirized for his attitude in that part of the game ...