Why doesn't the front office come clean about their mistake?

Just to sum it up without going into unsubstantiated territory, that Vivek is behind pretty much every controversial decision and there are a lot of behind the scenes like how players spend their free time that are being micro/mismanaged with the potential to backfire. Also noted that the focus is on moving season tickets for next year and beyond and not the current product and would pull players from training or other places for marketing pursuits.

There is more that I can't confirm so I'm going to leave it at that.

if everything you are saying is true, yikes, we are in some deep doodoo.

where the hell are all the rest of the partial owners to get this guy under control?

i mean the clues are all there that this Vivek stuff is true. He clearly is making some decisions (Rudy Gay, Nik Stauskas draft pick, etc) so it's not impossible to think the stuff PDX said is totally true.

i think he's much worse than even any of us here think. look how many long time Kings employees have been fired or "parted ways" in the last year and a half

i mean the clues are all there that this Vivek stuff is true. He clearly is making some decisions (Rudy Gay, Nik Stauskas draft pick, etc) so it's not impossible to think the stuff PDX said is totally true.

i think he's much worse than even any of us here think. look how many long time Kings employees have been fired or "parted ways" in the last year and a half
Need to be careful in drawing conclusions. It could all be true or not. The he said, she said saga with the truth in between.

He is the general managing partner so the buck stops there. On the other hand, one side of the organization (business side) seems to be hitting on most cylinders (misfires possibly attributed to Basketball side) while the basketball side of operations seems either to miss-firing or missing the spark plugs entirely. Vivek is over both sides, so why is the screw-ups seemingly restricted mostly to one side?

Of course we don't want to draw conclusions. but we all saw the draft room video where Vivek clearly made the Stauskas pick. He also publicly said he wanted Rudy Gay here when he came here, another decision he made.

These are not things an Owner should be doing

gunks

Hall of Famer
Vivek is trash. Worse than Magoofs.

I'm just waiting on the inevitable Cousins trade to find a new team to give a damn about.

Been through a decade of Magoofery and losing, only to have a new idiot at the wheel... enough is enough.

Of course we don't want to draw conclusions. but we all saw the draft room video where Vivek clearly made the Stauskas pick. He also publicly said he wanted Rudy Gay here when he came here, another decision he made.

These are not things an Owner should be doing
First part, publicity stunt? The second part if true, he was correct. Are you going to fault him for that?

Playing devil's advocate, is the case you just presented meddling owner or a case of a spineless, brown-nosing GM? Or both?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
With the Vivek rumors, I'm reminded of Grant's rant from a month back. He made it very clear the problems and issues the fans are commenting on are shared within the organization as well, that the majority of Kings employees feel the same way the fans do. He point blank said the majority both inside and out of the organization.

You have to question what kind of a climate there is within this franchise right now. And that of course would go above PDA, straight to the top, to Vivek. The CEO/President/owner of any company or team creates the environment below him. It's top down. And generally, with rumors we've heard and in this case I don't take Grant's words lightly as he is within the organization and that rant seemed like a brief moment of true honesty from the guy, there's something to it as when there's smoke, fire isn't far behind.

I even saw Dave on twitter the other day when reading through his exchanges saying there's too many opinions within our FO. There's more and more leaking out which says the Kings behind the scenes are a dysfunctional mess behind the scenes. I don't believe it's just a PDA/Mullin issue.

A lot of owners come in and mess things up trying to reinvent the game, I think the real question is how long is the learning curve going to be with Vivek before he lets the pros handle things. Can he become a Mark Cuban or will he go the Dan Snyder route?

First part, publicity stunt? The second part if true, he was correct. Are you going to fault him for that?

Playing devil's advocate, is the case you just presented meddling owner or a case of a spineless, brown-nosing GM? Or both?
regardless of if Rudy Gay was a good acquisition or not, it isn't the owners place to be making those calls or demands

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Vivek is trash. Worse than Magoofs.
Never.

Anytime anybody makes this ridiculous charge I will counter it.

The Maloofs singlehandedly sunk multiple attempts by the city to build an arena. They tried to move our team at least twice (Mexico City(!!), Anaheim) and I only don't count Virginia Beach because I don't think they ever had any true intention of going there. But maybe three times. And that also doesn't count their dreams of moving the team to Vegas. On top of that, once they had no choice but to sell they maliciously tried to sell the team to investors who would move it to Seattle WITHOUT EVEN GIVING LOCAL INVESTORS A CHANCE TO MATCH OR EVEN NOTIFYING THEM IT WAS ON THE MARKET. The Maloofs spent over a decade trying their best to make sure we lost our team - even after they knew they wouldn't own it anymore.

Vivek, at worst, is meddling in basketball operations that he shouldn't be meddling in. But he signed binding documents keeping the team in Sacramento for 30 years. I am not saying "bow down at the altar of Vivek" because frankly he's ticking me off, but in the annals of terrible owners he can't even be mentioned in the same chapter as the Maloofs. Anybody who says otherwise is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Ridiculously wrong.

regardless of if Rudy Gay was a good acquisition or not, it isn't the owners place to be making those calls or demands
As far as I'm concerned, the book is still open on Vivek. Owners nix deals all the time, proposing them probably a different story. As far as his claim for wanting Rudy from the get-go, if I remember correctly, I took it was a grain of salt. It was almost like he was taking credit for something that went right. Insecurity maybe?

Never.

The Maloofs singlehandedly sunk multiple attempts by the city to build an arena. They tried to move our team at least twice (Mexico City(!!), Anaheim) and I only don't count Virginia Beach because I don't think they ever had any true intention of going there. But maybe three times. And that also doesn't count their dreams of moving the team to Vegas. On top of that, once they had no choice but to sell they maliciously tried to sell the team to investors who would move it to Seattle WITHOUT EVEN GIVING LOCAL INVESTORS A CHANCE TO MATCH OR EVEN NOTIFYING THEM IT WAS ON THE MARKET. The Maloofs spent over a decade trying their best to make sure we lost our team - even after they knew they wouldn't own it anymore.

Vivek, at worst, is meddling in basketball operations that he shouldn't be meddling in. But he signed binding documents keeping the team in Sacramento for 30 years. I am not saying "bow down at the altar of Vivek" because frankly he's ticking me off, but in the annals of terrible owners he can't even be mentioned in the same chapter as the Maloofs. Anybody who says otherwise is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Ridiculously wrong.
yea i can agree with this.

it would take some EXTREMES to put him on Maloof level.

Never.

To a certain extent there is even some hope that these early failures will mold him into a better owner. I think we saw with the Maloofs that their early success warped them into what they became.

As I mentioned before, there is a video in the draft war room that shows Vivek basically imposing that Nik Staskus pick. Nik may end up to be decent as I don't want to write him off yet, but clearly it was whatever Vivek says goes.

Vivek claims he likes to surround himself with people smarter than himself and let them go to work, but unfortunately he only said that to name drop Steve Jobs as his good friend. In reality, he wants yes men that will echo him.

That's an optimistic way of looking at this mess. Kudos.
I'm 50/50 on whether or not failure humbles him. I do like that he wants to bring new ideas to the table and wants to win and wants the team to be like it was during the glory years. But I also don't know enough about him to know whether or not he'll adapt and revise or cling to his guns.

Never.

Ok but...... Apples to apples - at THIS point in their respective ownership tenures: Maloofs >>>> Vivek. Maloofs were great owners at first.

On the other hand, one side of the organization (business side) seems to be hitting on most cylinders (misfires possibly attributed to Basketball side) while the basketball side of operations seems either to miss-firing or missing the spark plugs entirely. Vivek is over both sides, so why is the screw-ups seemingly restricted mostly to one side?
Because Vivek's expertise only exists on the business side, and the lead people on the business side are also rather qualified, relative to the bball side. Vivek does not have the basketball expertise needed to succeed. At least, not yet. I do hope he figures it out before we lose Cousins.

Because Vivek's expertise only exists on the business side, and the lead people on the business side are also rather qualified, relative to the bball side. Vivek does not have the basketball expertise needed to succeed. At least, not yet. I do hope he figures it out before we lose Cousins.
That makes perfect sense and I agree with it, along with the hope. I had put that contrast because it seems the vindictiveness towards Vivek has increased. While the buck stops with him, I have to look at who is on the basketball side and think about the need to replace them. He may not realize it yet (in terms of basketball), but without the expertise of those under you, your sunk.

As I mentioned before, there is a video in the draft war room that shows Vivek basically imposing that Nik Staskus pick. Nik may end up to be decent as I don't want to write him off yet, but clearly it was whatever Vivek says goes.

Vivek claims he likes to surround himself with people smarter than himself and let them go to work, but unfortunately he only said that to name drop Steve Jobs as his good friend. In reality, he wants yes men that will echo him.
And as it was talked to death at the time of the video, it also looked "staged" in the sense that consensus on what order of preferences was probably reached before the "event." But whatever, I hope he comes to his senses before too much more damage is done (preferably none).

I've been hearing awful stuff about Vivek outside the forum worlds and while I have no faith in one of the sources, the person is regularly credentialed to shoot games on the court so he may have access to people that do actually know things. Everything from the routine FO missteps we talk about here to the way the players off court lives are being (mis)managed. I really don't want to believe it and I hope that as much truth there is to it can be explained by naivety curable by a disaster like what we're currently experiencing.
In a similar story, I spoke with Darius Anderson prior to the start of this season. We spoke about a lot of things (non-Kings), and he mentioned his disdain towards Vivek, which is well-documented from his pending lawsuit against Vivek and Mastrov. Anyways, he stated the Kings would never win with Vivek in control and that he would be a meddling and unloyal owner in the worse kind of way. We debated a bit, as I was all gung-ho about the teams' direction at that time of our conversation. Obviously, he has a strong bias in this matter, but damn if it doesn't seem to be all true in this gloomy hour.

Funny to see some of the sac republic fans over at their forum really excited about the Kings investment, only if Vivek doesn't drive the republic into the ground, the way he did with the Kings.

The maloof intent was always to move the team. I just don't see how we can say this.
We know they bought with intention to move the team. BUT.. when the team had unexpected success, they did not yank the rug out from under it - they rode the wave and gave it their all. They did everything under the sun to optimize our "run". Then they went broke and turned into desperate degenerates. But... still, at this stage of things - they were behaving as better owners than the current group, right up till Webber's knee injury.

No way the Maloofs would fire Malone under similar circumstances. Too much money to be made riding a winner. No ridiculous idea that they could reinvent the game playing Bighorns style or 6th grade girls style. No secret love and urgency to emulate the team 80 miles to the west.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Need to be careful in drawing conclusions. It could all be true or not. The he said, she said saga with the truth in between.

He is the general managing partner so the buck stops there. On the other hand, one side of the organization (business side) seems to be hitting on most cylinders (misfires possibly attributed to Basketball side) while the basketball side of operations seems either to miss-firing or missing the spark plugs entirely. Vivek is over both sides, so why is the screw-ups seemingly restricted mostly to one side?
I think that's a reasonable analysis/question. But it could end up being him just being much better at/more experienced with the business side, and not only inexperienced, but possibly arrogant in his dealing with the other. But obviously that's just sheerest speculation from me too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think that's a reasonable analysis/question. But it could end up being him just being much better at/more experienced with the business side, and not only inexperienced, but possibly arrogant in his dealing with the other. But obviously that's just sheerest speculation from me too.
Let's not forget that he has the guy who was likely going to be Adam Silver's right hand man at the head of the business side. Vivek deserves at least a bit of credit for bringing Chris Granger into the fold.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It is the owner's place to do whatever he pleases with HIS team. The only people he really has to answer to are his business partners. There are tons of things to be upset about but you're acting as though owning a significant part of the business doesn't entitle you to make any decisions regarding the business ... and that's just silly.