Why doesn't the front office come clean about their mistake?

It is the owner's place to do whatever he pleases with HIS team. The only people he really has to answer to are his business partners. There are tons of things to be upset about but you're acting as though owning a significant part of the business doesn't entitle you to make any decisions regarding the business ... and that's just silly.
that's not how professional sports works. When you have the owner influencing trades and draft picks you are doing it wrong, and destined for failure

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
that's not how professional sports works. When you have the owner influencing trades and draft picks you are doing it wrong, and destined for failure
Al Davis
Marge Schott
Dennis York

That IS how professional sports works sometimes. I'm not saying it's right but I'm saying it happens. The good owners realize they're better off letting the guys who know the business take care of it, but all too often an owner exercises his right to meddle. And bottom line, is he or she does have that right, even if it means they destroy their team in the process.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I presume many owners want to have final say over what is done but the wise ones leave the major decisions to the people they have hired and rubber stamp the move. Herb Kohl, who just sold the Bucks, did nothing to dictate how the Bucks were managed as best as I know. He just wanted the team in Milwaukee so he did his part by putting up the money.

I really like the way Cuban took over the Mavericks. He did nothing the first year but get acquainted with how an NBA team is run. Then he got more active.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Al Davis
Marge Schott
Dennis York

That IS how professional sports works sometimes. I'm not saying it's right but I'm saying it happens. The good owners realize they're better off letting the guys who know the business take care of it, but all too often an owner exercises his right to meddle. And bottom line, is he or she does have that right, even if it means they destroy their team in the process.
Schott eventually had her ownership taken away from her by the league didn't she? I forget.

I presume many owners want to have final say over what is done but the wise ones leave the major decisions to the people they have hired and rubber stamp the move. Herb Kohl, who just sold the Bucks, did nothing to dictate how the Bucks were managed as best as I know. He just wanted the team in Milwaukee so he did his part by putting up the money.

I really like the way Cuban took over the Mavericks. He did nothing the first year but get acquainted with how an NBA team is run. Then he got more active.
My distaste for Cuban aside, his meddling has been pretty bad in the past. Blowing up the '11 championship team was nearly as bad as what Vivek and Co. have done this year.

Pete D'Alessandro ‏@Pdoro 5m5 minutes ago
So so so proud of u @boogiecousins -u were always an all star to @SacramentoKings fans, @Vivek and our entire organization!#SacramentoProud
I didn't want to taint the congratulations thread with this negativity. Is it my cynicism or is this a kiss-up, brown nose tweet making sure Vivek sees it. More than 40 minutes after the fact. Vivek was quick in congratulations, not PDA. I guess he had more important things to do ............................................

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't want to taint the congratulations thread with this negativity. Is it my cynicism or is this a kiss-up, brown nose tweet making sure Vivek sees it. More than 40 minutes after the fact. Vivek was quick in congratulations, not PDA. I guess he had more important things to do ............................................
Really? Why not just enjoy the first good news we've had in a while instead of trying so hard to find something to be cynical about. Today is a good day. Who really gives a rat's patoot on when the GM tweeted a congratulations message?

Really? Why not just enjoy the first good news we've had in a while instead of trying so hard to find something to be cynical about. Today is a good day. Who really gives a rat's patoot on when the GM tweeted a congratulations message?
That is why I DID NOT put it in the congratulations thread. It's a good day for Demarcus and secondly the Kings but that doesn't mean we can't talk about the elephant (i.e. the ?'s about the front office) in the room. His tweet struck me as like a little kid saying thank-you because mommy said to. I was pleased with how quickly Vivek tweeted congratulations, not so with the GM.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I was pleased with how quickly Vivek tweeted congratulations, not so with the GM.
Seriously, it was 40 minutes. Maybe he was in a meeting. Maybe he was on the phone negotiating a trade. Maybe he had just hopped into the shower after a workout. I'll tell you this, if everybody read bad intent into every time I spent 40 minutes or more to respond to something, people would think I was a pretty terrible guy, too. But maybe it's just that I'm busy and I have things to do and I don't obsessively check my email every 15 seconds.

Not directed at anyone, but I can't compare Vivek to the Maloofs. When I hear them mentioned in the same sentence I can't see it. Vivek scares me more.

No matter how much I despised the Maloofs, I always knew what they were up to. They had a plan and we could see it. They weren't bad at basketball. They were bad at business. Even their bad basketball moves had to do with bad business.

Vivek is great at business and doesn't know basketball. At least with the Maloofs there was always the possibility of drafting another Cousins, Tyreke, IT and we could eventually round into something. I have no idea what our management will do. It's even scarier if Vivek is TRYING to win and screwing this up just as bad as the Maloofs trying to tank. So to me, Vivek is more frightening.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is why I DID NOT put it in the congratulations thread. It's a good day for Demarcus and secondly the Kings but that doesn't mean we can't talk about the elephant (i.e. the ?'s about the front office) in the room. His tweet struck me as like a little kid saying thank-you because mommy said to. I was pleased with how quickly Vivek tweeted congratulations, not so with the GM.
You asked if it was your cynicism or a "brown-nose" tweet. I replied.

Don't be too impressed with how quickly Vivek replied, btw. It was most likely Leslie who did it.

Denial appointment.

k

Dental appointment.

Not directed at anyone, but I can't compare Vivek to the Maloofs. When I hear them mentioned in the same sentence I can't see it. Vivek scares me more.

No matter how much I despised the Maloofs, I always knew what they were up to. They had a plan and we could see it. They weren't bad at basketball. They were bad at business. Even their bad basketball moves had to do with bad business.

Vivek is great at business and doesn't know basketball. At least with the Maloofs there was always the possibility of drafting another Cousins, Tyreke, IT and we could eventually round into something. I have no idea what our management will do. It's even scarier if Vivek is TRYING to win and screwing this up just as bad as the Maloofs trying to tank. So to me, Vivek is more frightening.
I'm sure he doesn't frighten himself and, remember, he is a businessman and has some money invested in this venture. I'm sure if the ship sails too far south some appropriate corrections will be made.

You asked if it was your cynicism or a "brown-nose" tweet. I replied.

Don't be too impressed with how quickly Vivek replied, btw. It was most likely Leslie who did it.
Fair enough. I'm not going to deny that I've become distrustful of the front office (i.e. Mullin and PDA). In terms of whether or not Vivek personally replied, it doesn't matter too much. The quick response gives an indication of where Demarcus stands in terms of Ownership. Leslie is HIS PR person. This wasn't the first tweet by PDA that smelled of kiss-up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fair enough. I'm not going to deny that I've become distrustful of the front office (i.e. Mullin and PDA). In terms of whether or not Vivek personally replied, it doesn't matter too much. The quick response gives an indication of where Demarcus stands in terms of Ownership. Leslie is HIS PR person. This wasn't the first tweet by PDA that smelled of kiss-up.
And Leslie lives on Twitter. You can be distrustful of the front office without jumping off the deep end. At least PDA tweets his own stuff. :p

And Leslie lives on Twitter. You can be distrustful of the front office without jumping off the deep end. At least PDA tweets his own stuff. :p
I don't think I jumped off the deep end. Leslie also has her own account so anything tweeted on the "official" account would hopefully reflect the thing of Vivek. PDA has had his snafu's on communication, like the lack of it (whether or not he communicated with the team about Malone for example). I do think he is a brown noser and why I suspected myself of being cynical. ;)

Al Davis
Marge Schott
Dennis York

Technically, Vivek does have that right. But the season ticket holders also have a right to make demands or don't renew. The fans buying apparel and other Kings merchandises also have a right to stop their support until they see the FO making the right moves. It is up to these fans if they want to exercise their rights or are they too in love with the team to make that decision to hold out until the FO listens.

It's not like the Maloofs ever let go a popular, successful coach because of personal differences, right?
IMO, one of the big reasons that the Maloofs neglected to reup Adelman was cost. Adelman was getting 6M a year IIRC. This was the top or near the top salaries of coaches at that time. Maloofs didn't want to pay that. The next 4 or 5 or however many coaches afterwards got 2M/year contracts. Also, you can't deny that Reggie sure looked better than Adelman in a suit. He's TV good looking, for gosh sakes. Again, you don't like the move, but you understand the move in Maloof shoes. It has rationale. Firing Malone and grabbing Karl? I would hate the timing, but I can see how you would go with an experienced head coach. Firing Malone for JVG? Sure. Firing Malone for Thibs? Hell yeah. Firing Malone and promoting Corbin? Come on.

You can't fight against crazy because crazy has no discernible plan. They don't know what they're up to next, so you don't know either.

My distaste for Cuban aside, his meddling has been pretty bad in the past. Blowing up the '11 championship team was nearly as bad as what Vivek and Co. have done this year.
I disagree. If we had a championship parade in Sac last June, Vivek would get a helluva lot more leeway. What it would mean is that Vivek would have proven he can build a contender and win on the ultimate stage, the Finals. Cuban has shown that.

With Vivek, it's a complete unknown what he can accomplish in the NBA. He has no basketball history to fall back on.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In fairness to Cuban, he said he had a plan when he blew up the team, a team that he said was going to be too expensive to keep intact. To his credit, he put together a team on the fly the next season and made the playoffs, and now has a team that is competitive enough to possibly win the whole thing. If that's meddling, then he can come here and meddle all he wants.

IMO, one of the big reasons that the Maloofs neglected to reup Adelman was cost. Adelman was getting 6M a year IIRC. This was the top or near the top salaries of coaches at that time. Maloofs didn't want to pay that. The next 4 or 5 or however many coaches afterwards got 2M/year contracts. Also, you can't deny that Reggie sure looked better than Adelman in a suit. He's TV good looking, for gosh sakes. Again, you don't like the move, but you understand the move in Maloof shoes. It has rationale. Firing Malone and grabbing Karl? I would hate the timing, but I can see how you would go with an experienced head coach. Firing Malone for JVG? Sure. Firing Malone for Thibs? Hell yeah. Firing Malone and promoting Corbin? Come on.

You can't fight against crazy because crazy has no discernible plan. They don't know what they're up to next, so you don't know either.
Except they hired Eric Musselman after Adelman, not Theus.

From: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25010485

Nice to see sports media bring more bold about the reality of our situation.

"The Kings had hope and a top-10 defensive rating back in November. That was before they fired coach Mike Malone while Cousins sat out with viral meningitis, before the front office talked about pushing the pace despite the presence of one of the game's best halfcourt scorers, before Tyrone Corbin's interim tag was lifted without the players' knowledge. That hope has now been gone for a while, and things are only getting worse."

Last edited: