Why doesn't the front office come clean about their mistake?

I've been hearing awful stuff about Vivek outside the forum worlds and while I have no faith in one of the sources, the person is regularly credentialed to shoot games on the court so he may have access to people that do actually know things. Everything from the routine FO missteps we talk about here to the way the players off court lives are being (mis)managed. I really don't want to believe it and I hope that as much truth there is to it can be explained by naivety curable by a disaster like what we're currently experiencing.
Well hopefully it's a case of the story getting better each time it's retold. I have not totally turned sour on Vivek and hope that he will learn from his missteps. Mullin and PDA I have.

Other stuff was discussed but it got interesting once he brought up Karl thanks to someone asking about it.

I think the way it went down was someone showed Pete what was being said on social media and that's when things got fun and interesting.

Thanks for sharing this Mike. It must have been an interesting experience relating to PDA on a face to face, human level.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pete went straight to the back of the bus, leaned against the back of it and yelled out to us, "Why do you guys want Karl so bad?"
Because we're tired of having a perennial loser to root for.
Because you fired a head coach that finally looked to be turning things around without a plan to replace him.
Because George Karl is maybe the only available, quality coach who has successfully lead an in-season turnaround in such situations
Because it's a much better plan than giving up on the whole season
Because I'd rather root for wins than better lottery positioning for the 9th straight year.
Because after firing Malone and without Karl you've likely assembled yet another 28 win team - same as the Maloofs did in their final season.
Because I'd like to think the Kings will be somewhere different in 2016 or 2017 than firing their GM and starting yet another rebuild, likely without Cousins.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've chatted with a number of people who were on the bus and NONE of them had that feeling. PDA is not the devil incarnate.
Very true. The unanswered question is, where along the spectrum of devil incarnate to quality NBA GM does D'Alessandro fall . . .

In my admittedly brief experience I would echo that D'Alessandro is a personable guy. And he really thinks he's got plans that will build a winner in Sacramento. I certainly hope so. But from people I've talked to I understand the same could be said about David Kahn. Time will tell.

The Malone firing was poorly handled. Full stop. But the nice thing for PDA is that as a rule fans have short memories. D'Alessandro will get several more bites at the apple before he's ultimately judged.

I was interested in why Karl was not hired as a replacement for Malone. I think that is the question on a lot of people's minds. If PDA thinks that placing Corbin in the head coach position is somehow adequate, I am blown way. He says he doesn't want to hire until after the season. What's Corbin?

I personally am not so stupid as to think he should fire Corbin this year and hire Karl.

I am done with this FO. Glad everyone had fun. Glad Vivek had the honor of attending a Swiss meeting on economics. Glad Vivek was with the President in India. Sounds like he is getting his needs met.

I am not.
Kings could still retain Corbin after this season as the head coach but Pete did mention there would be other candidates they could look at and one of them is Karl. Believe me as we did mention how those other potential coaches could be hired by someone else.

At the end of the day no one will be happy until the Kings make their next move(s).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Kings could still retain Corbin after this season as the head coach but Pete did mention there would be other candidates they could look at and one of them is Karl. Believe me as we did mention how those other potential coaches could be hired by someone else.

At the end of the day no one will be happy until the Kings make their next move(s).
I understand. I am sure Corbin is still on the list of possible head coaches for next year as Vivek felt very confident that Corbin would have a better record than Malone.

I fear that PDA will make moves to keep us distracted. I have no faith in him or his boss. I am so angry I can barely stand it. I don't understand why they flushed this season down the toilet. Remember that Vivek said this season would be about getting wins.

I understand. I am sure Corbin is still on the list of possible head coaches for next year as Vivek felt very confident that Corbin would have a better record than Malone.

I fear that PDA will make moves to keep us distracted. I have no faith in him or his boss. I am so angry I can barely stand it. I don't understand why they flushed this season down the toilet. Remember that Vivek said this season would be about getting wins.
I think the scary thing we may all need to acknowledge is that these guys really might be that incompetent. We talk about secret tanking, conspiracy theories, personality issues, etc when it may be a whole lot simpler. They actually think the team they put together, the system they want to run and the coach they have in place is made to win now.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think the scary thing we may all need to acknowledge is that these guys really might be that incompetent. We talk about secret tanking, conspiracy theories, personality issues, etc when it may be a whole lot simpler. They actually think the team they put together, the system they want to run and the coach they have in place is made to win now.
I think it is far, far more a case of incompetence than anything else. Darn near everybody in the organization that we care about are rookies. Wish they would have had the same patience with Malone as I presume they hope we have with them. And, NO, I can't get over that.

I've been hearing awful stuff about Vivek outside the forum worlds and while I have no faith in one of the sources, the person is regularly credentialed to shoot games on the court so he may have access to people that do actually know things. Everything from the routine FO missteps we talk about here to the way the players off court lives are being (mis)managed. I really don't want to believe it and I hope that as much truth there is to it can be explained by naivety curable by a disaster like what we're currently experiencing.
We can add something to routine misstep file.

Not signing Quincy Miller to his second ten day in time to play tonight.

PDA still treating the fans like country rubes. Gee, why would we want Karl? He's only exactly the thing you claim to want, Petey.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well hopefully it's a case of the story getting better each time it's retold. I have not totally turned sour on Vivek and hope that he will learn from his missteps. Mullin and PDA I have.
Well this conversation came up when I ranted against the Kings FO, he said "It's not the FO, it's Vivek" (I consider Vivek part of the FO, but whatever).

And you know what's scary, I kind of believe it. Because I don't think PDA would fire the coach midseason while enjoying the best success in years. I mean, that kind of move calls for PDA being fired at the end of this season if it backfires, which it completely has.

Well this conversation came up when I ranted against the Kings FO, he said "It's not the FO, it's Vivek" (I consider Vivek part of the FO, but whatever).

And you know what's scary, I kind of believe it. Because I don't think PDA would fire the coach midseason while enjoying the best success in years. I mean, that kind of move calls for PDA being fired at the end of this season if it backfires, which it completely has.
What did you hear?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Just to sum it up without going into unsubstantiated territory, that Vivek is behind pretty much every controversial decision and there are a lot of behind the scenes like how players spend their free time that are being micro/mismanaged with the potential to backfire. Also noted that the focus is on moving season tickets for next year and beyond and not the current product and would pull players from training or other places for marketing pursuits.

There is more that I can't confirm so I'm going to leave it at that.

Just to sum it up without going into unsubstantiated territory, that Vivek is behind pretty much every controversial decision and there are a lot of behind the scenes like how players spend their free time that are being micro/mismanaged with the potential to backfire. Also noted that the focus is on moving season tickets for next year and beyond and not the current product and would pull players from training or other places for marketing pursuits.

Well you can't technically confirm any of it so why not spill all the beans? :)

You might if you thought it was him or you. Especially if you have Vivek's "favorite" former Warrior on board. If reports are to be believed, it was Mullin and PDA who went to convince Vivek to fire Malone. I don't trust either one of them. Vivek I don't know, so I have hope.

I would hope he's relieved of duties after the trade deadline to avoid paralysis (may be too late if he's on the hot seat with hands tied).

This could be in the eye of the beholder. But right now, who knows.

Poor marketing if they are not concerned with the current product in order to get sales for future seasons. Counter-productive.

Dude - your kind of "unconfirmable" reports are all that might break this logjam and tug-of-war that is crippling the organization.
This kind of board SHOULD be the release point for all the gossip and crap-talking that can be used to cobble together a real picture of what is going on in this dysfunctional (and internally-warring) organization.

If you've got some scuttlebutt on what the front office (and Vivek) are doing to ruin this organization, IMO it's your responsibility to share it.

We know to take it with a grain of salt - this isn't a court of law - it's the court of public opinion - and if Vivek is to blame for any of the player revolt we are seeing out there, HE is going to have to have some blame go his direction or else he will not stop his screwing up "our team". And we will never get better.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't really trade in rumors, I'm just saying I have heard enough to change my opinion that Vivek may have just hired the wrong people around him to that he may really be the problem. I resisted this notion for longer than a lot around here. I don't really think some of the rumors are even important as much as it was a big deal to hear it from someone who is press credentialed and not a regular part of the internet Kings community. It can be an echo chamber in the forums, but when you go outside you hear a lot of varied opinions. And this criticism was harsher than anything I've ever heard online. I'm just going to leave it at that.

I really don't feel that now is the time to be cavalier and discreet.
I totally understand if that's your style, but let me try to persuade you to spill:

If we fans don't light a fire under management's ass, they are likely running this team into the ground.

Vivek told us loudly and repeatedly this was OUR TEAM.
Well, if it's OUR TEAM, then why is he meddling with everything?
Sure sounds like he is operating it like it's HIS TEAM.
Why is he treating us (and the players?) like serfs, who need to be told what we want, and that "the super-intelligent brains" are in charge, and they know what they're doing?

Well, if his hands and intrusive, demeaning management style is the cause for the complete mess this team is in, then we need to be the impolite, raucous mob that brings up things the genteeled (read: bought-and-paid-for with "access") media isn't, then that is our role.

If you are waiting for the media to air Vivek's dirty laundry that could be vital information (even hearsay) that if exposed, could get us on the right path for directing our considerable fan efforts to target the source of what is eating away at our Kings, then you may be waiting forever, after this team's chances are dashed -
Please - tell us what you have heard.

I'm especially wondering what has been said about how they are dictating the player's off-court social lives - I have my suspicions that the players resent the management and think they aren't appreciated. I get the impression the management feels they are employees that need to do what they are told, instead of the elite athletes that should be treated with respect.

I know that almost everything from Bill Simmons is dismissed as "he's a comic." A lot of that can be fair because he dispenses his criticism toward this franchise in a cursory and punching bag manner.

However, Bill has a lot of sources in the NBA office and around the league. Many months before Vivek became one of his punching bags after the Grantland Stauskas! video, Bills made 2-3 references that he'd heard that the owner might be a little different / eccentric and it would be interesting to see how the team was run. This was during Vivek's relatively calm first season.

What he said then and what PDX is saying now sounds similar and could explain the constant WTF vibe this franchise has been throwing off for months.

Also, if Vivek is the problem, you aren't going hear it from the local media. KHTK denied / refused to acknowledge the Maloofs money issues and then odds of relocation for years. Beyond giving him time to try to snap out of it, the non-sports media isn't going to rock the boat until after the team gets done remaking downtown. So, if we've got a horrible owner and many insiders know it, we might get some leaks but I don't think the dirt stars to really fly out for another 2-3 years.

I know that almost everything from Bill Simmons is dismissed as "he's a comic." A lot of that can be fair because he dispenses his criticism toward this franchise in a cursory and punching bag manner.

However, Bill has a lot of sources in the NBA office and around the league. Many months before Vivek became one of his punching bags after the Grantland Stauskas! video, Bills made 2-3 references that he'd heard that the owner might be a little different / eccentric and it would be interesting to see how the team was run. This was during Vivek's relatively calm first season.

What he said then and what PDX is saying now sounds similar and could explain the constant WTF vibe this franchise has been throwing off for months.

Also, if Vivek is the problem, you aren't going hear it from the local media. KHTK denied / refused to acknowledge the Maloofs money issues and then odds of relocation for years. Beyond giving him time to try to snap out of it, the non-sports media isn't going to rock the boat until after the team gets done remaking downtown. So, if we've got a horrible owner and many insiders know it, we might get some leaks but I don't think the dirt stars to really fly out for another 2-3 years.
No we're not going to hear it. To be truthful, too much criticism towards an eccentric narcissist will cause them lash out rather than concede. The things that made them succesful is also their greatest weakness. The only way to reach them is through their wallet.

If Vivek wants to build his arena, build a soccer stadium and transform Sacramento, I'm all for it. If he wants to manage his daughter's music career and travel to India monthly, even better. The more he has going on, the less time he has to meddle. Sacramento might as well get something out of it in the process.

Angering him won't make him change. It will make him disinterested in the city. I'm not saying we can't be upset about basketball, but digging up dirt on him will be counterproductive. Go after his GM because that is something he would be willing to change. People like Vivek need a scapegoat. That new GM may be able to impart some basketball wisdom into Vivek. But Vivek isn't going anywhere.