• Fox - Huerter - DeRozan - Murray - Sabonis

• Fox - Monk - DeRozan - Murray - Sabonis

• Fox - DeRozan - Murray - Lyles - Sabonis

• Fox - Ellis - Murray - Lyles - Sabonis

• Fox - Huerter - Murray - Lyles - Sabonis

• Fox - Monk - Murray - Lyles - Sabonis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think I'd prefer Keon guarding the other teams best guards with Huerter guarding bench guards. Plus it should make Huerter's offense pop more since he'll be going against worse defenders.

I guess it'll just depend on how it all shakes out but something tells me Brown is going to prefer Keon's defense to start at the beginning of the season.
I do really like the thought of getting Huerter in a bigger USG role off the bench. Part of the reason he regressed this season is he went down on the offensive hierarchy a bit. Letting him and Monk run that second unit and be the "first and second option" could solve a lot of problems we had last year where we were so reliant on Monk to create everything. Now you're adding another excellent offensive guy to that unit.

So if we do stand now, I think from game 1 of last year to game 1 of this year is going to be fairly drastic changes (for the better)

Fox || JMac
Keon || Monk
DDR || Huerter
Keegan || Lyles
Domas || Len

So Huerter to Keon
HB to DDR
Davion to JMac
Duarte to Huerter
Javale to Len

In terms of the roles these guys will be in this year. Fairly impressive roster overhaul from Monte while still keeping most of our future assets. If we do end up flipping Huerter, I'm guessing it'll be for someone to fill that back-up 3/4 wing slot. So still Duarte to a DFS/Cam type.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if Huerter is on the roster due to his low value right now with his season ending injury from last season, this may be a prime time to get his stock back up and play him off the bench with Malik as he can drift around and move defenses with his shooting and cutting while you let Ellis and Fox hound the POA

if Huerter is on the roster due to his low value right now with his season ending injury from last season, this may be a prime time to get his stock back up and play him off the bench with Malik as he can drift around and move defenses with his shooting and cutting while you let Ellis and Fox hound the POA
I think we got spoiled with the year Huerter had two years ago.

Most people were excited when the Kings got him and most seemed to want to trade him after his down year last year. Except when you look at his numbers in Atlanta, the year he had last year was basically better than 3 out of the 4 years he had in Atlanta.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Most people were excited when the Kings got him and most seemed to want to trade him after his down year last year. Except when you look at his numbers in Atlanta, the year he had last year was basically better than 3 out of the 4 years he had in Atlanta.
usage is the important part here, now this could all be moot if he gets dealt within the next month, two or three. As of right now though, I can see a bench role being a good way to ease back from all that time missed and rehab and just go out there with an emphasis to keep shooting

How about seeing who's knocking down 3's before making a decision. If it's first year King Huerter yes he starts. If it's last year Huerter it's Ellis.
I prefer Ellis over Huerter, but I do think a very important factor is going to come down to who makes their open 3s, and at what rate? Kevin's 3pt shooting was extremely inconsistent throughout the season and fell off from the year before. However, one thing he doesn't lack is the confidence to pull it.

On the other hand, we saw that Keon had to work towards building confidence on letting it fly. He needs to develop a catch and shoot killer instinct if he wants to be the starter over Kevin. I don't have any stats to back it up, but the eye test felt like he was hesitant from behind the arch at times.

For Keon, it's not just going to be about taking more 3s, but it'll be about being ready to shoot the 3 when Fox/Domas/DeRozan kicks it out. Even despite Huerter's inconsistent shooting, teams know they can't leave him wide open. I think there's a certain gravity that Kevin has that Keon doesn't.

I'm still on Keon>Huerter as the starter though. Keon just needs to be a 3&D SG.

Well so far all the results indicate that four of the five starters are obvious. The only question is at SG.

My vote was for Huerter. With Carter on the shelf indefinitely, there's less of a concern of imbalancing the defensive players, so moving Ellis to the bench is less problematic. Monk stays the Super-6th. Huerter, if he's still around, gets a bone thrown to him, since he won't be in the closing lineup.
Plus, if there is any hope of trading Huerter, then he has to be showcased and play so other teams can see what he can do.

Plus, if there is any hope of trading Huerter, then he has to be showcased and play so other teams can see what he can do.
I think the idea of "showcasing" players for trades is rather overblown by fanbases. There is some validity to the notion that GMs want to bolster the value of their assets before moving them, but if you're a GM who believes Kevin Huerter can add value to your roster through his shooting prowess, there's nothing his play next season would be likely to tell you that his play since coming into the league hasn't already told you. You want to know if he's healthy, of course, but apart from that, Huerter has been streaky as an outside shooter his entire career thus far. He's not a consistent 38-40% kinda guy on his volume. He's a "feast or famine" kinda guy on his volume. When he's hot, he's pretty damn hot. When he's not... he's really not. But he's also a solid secondary playmaker and a good rebounder for his size and athleticism. And even when he's not hitting shots, he generates a lot of gravity for an offense because he moves constantly and understands how to navigate screens effectively. He has more value around the league than Kings fans may be inclined to give him credit for after his most recent season, but he's also not the kind of asset that's just waiting to appreciate significantly. If there's a deal to be made this off-season, it'll be made. If there's not, then I think there would be a lot of utility in considering a bench role for Huerter next season. He may have more impact with a second unit that re-emphasizes his role in the offense.

You are really going to judge a guy on a year where his shoulder was pretty much destroyed? Idk if you ever played basketball but it’s hard to hit a 3 when your shoulder isn’t right.

You are really going to judge a guy on a year where his shoulder was pretty much destroyed? Idk if you ever played basketball but it’s hard to hit a 3 when your shoulder isn’t right.
My comment has nothing to do with judging. He made comments that he's had shoulder issues here and there for a couple years but it wasn't significant enough to fix until it really got injured in the last game he played last year. All I can do is go off of his play. His shoulder got destroyed in that game against Memphis but it definitely was not destroyed before that. His lingering issues were happening during his career year with us as well. I mean if anything, I was defending the guy.

Look I know you're most likely young and full of pee and vinegar but every interaction on here doesn't have to be some sort of heated contest. We're just here to talk basketball. I think it's awesome when new people sign up here and start adding a bunch of content right away but I envision you being red, sweaty and angry when I read a large percentage of your posts. We're all just a bunch of dorks watching millionaires throw a ball in the thing. This stuff isn't that serious. Try to have a good time around here.

I prefer Ellis over Huerter, but I do think a very important factor is going to come down to who makes their open 3s, and at what rate? Kevin's 3pt shooting was extremely inconsistent throughout the season and fell off from the year before. However, one thing he doesn't lack is the confidence to pull it.

On the other hand, we saw that Keon had to work towards building confidence on letting it fly. He needs to develop a catch and shoot killer instinct if he wants to be the starter over Kevin. I don't have any stats to back it up, but the eye test felt like he was hesitant from behind the arch at times.

For Keon, it's not just going to be about taking more 3s, but it'll be about being ready to shoot the 3 when Fox/Domas/DeRozan kicks it out. Even despite Huerter's inconsistent shooting, teams know they can't leave him wide open. I think there's a certain gravity that Kevin has that Keon doesn't.

I'm still on Keon>Huerter as the starter though. Keon just needs to be a 3&D SG.
I don't think it was Keon's confidence more like his ok to shoot it being low man on the pecking order.

I don't think it was Keon's confidence more like his ok to shoot it being low man on the pecking order.
I don’t know about that because as a role player and starting SG of the team, the one thing you should be doing is taking open shots when available. I think Keegan and Sasha both got sat down one time for not pulling the trigger. (Although Sasha’s defense probably added to that frustration)

I know we love Keon for the defense but offense looked so lost without Huerter.

I love Keon but let's be real we're looking at GPII 2.0
If the Kings have enough talent and no shots left that's probably not a bad thing in the interim. This is why hopefully Carter pans out long term. He's got the scoring potential to go with all that other stuff.

I think the idea of "showcasing" players for trades is rather overblown by fanbases. There is some validity to the notion that GMs want to bolster the value of their assets before moving them, but if you're a GM who believes Kevin Huerter can add value to your roster through his shooting prowess, there's nothing his play next season would be likely to tell you that his play since coming into the league hasn't already told you. You want to know if he's healthy, of course, but apart from that, Huerter has been streaky as an outside shooter his entire career thus far. He's not a consistent 38-40% kinda guy on his volume. He's a "feast or famine" kinda guy on his volume. When he's hot, he's pretty damn hot. When he's not... he's really not. But he's also a solid secondary playmaker and a good rebounder for his size and athleticism. And even when he's not hitting shots, he generates a lot of gravity for an offense because he moves constantly and understands how to navigate screens effectively. He has more value around the league than Kings fans may be inclined to give him credit for after his most recent season, but he's also not the kind of asset that's just waiting to appreciate significantly. If there's a deal to be made this off-season, it'll be made. If there's not, then I think there would be a lot of utility in considering a bench role for Huerter next season. He may have more impact with a second unit that re-emphasizes his role in the offense.
this.gif

If the Kings have enough talent and no shots left that's probably not a bad thing in the interim. This is why hopefully Carter pans out long term. He's got the scoring potential to go with all that other stuff.
One thing though, is that Keon is currently a better shooter than Carter....and also Gary Payton. Someone will have to be a really good pro in order to fit better and produce higher efficiency numbers than he does with this team

One thing though, is that Keon is currently a better shooter than Carter....and also Gary Payton. Someone will have to be a really good pro in order to fit better and produce higher efficiency numbers than he does with this team
They project as different types of players although there is certainly some crossover. Again, it's a difference between catch and shoot and true triple threat play. The vast majority of Keons shots are off zero dribbles. About half of Carters 3's were off the dribble. Now, part of that was because his team used him as a safety valve a lot of times like we see with Fox although Devin played off the ball most of the play on each possession, not too disimilar to the way the Kings play with their guards. With that said, Carter did shoot catch and shoot 3's at a 40% clip and had only 3% less in TS% than Ellis while having a much bigger role on ball than Keon did. Devin is more playmaking SG than PG IMO which might lessen his value to most teams, but that's why in theory he's such a great fit next to Fox/Monk. Perhaps it's role but Keon also doesn't appear to have nearly the same ability to draw contact on ball like Carter does. Some of that could be strength/weight as well. Carter is about 30 pounds heavier than Keon coming into the NBA. Most of the Kings guards are the types that have to work extra hard to put on size, Carter without an NBA program is already near that 200 pound range. The thing about Keon though is I almost think his ability to play true PG surpasses Carter at this point. Keon has very natural in the flow instincts.

If Carter can outplay Keon, then the Kings have a great problem on their hands.

Keon is a legit good NBA player that’s happens to fit perfectly with our current starting group.
I do think there is a method to this here. I think Brown has no reason not to fit both in without issues. Keon played with the guard units last year and the difference with him in that spot vs. Davion was quite noticeable. That little bit of size difference makes a big difference.

In 11 games with Keon as starter and Monk available from the bench we won 9. I think we need to keep their starter and 6th man roles and see how they mix with DeRozan. The general defensive improvements with Keon in deserve betting in him. We need his D.

And as much as I like Huerter we should trade him to fix other weaknesses. I would be looking more for a PF/C than a SF/PF so Stewart or Portis are my main targets as I think the SF is the best position for DeRozan, Murray and McDaniels.

Or try to go for Collins + Kessler from Utah with Huerter + Lyles + Colby + picks.

I wish we made the trade the Blazers did for Avdija with the #13 pick, Huerter and another future 1st. He would be a great piece to add to our main core and in a great team friendly contract.

Last edited:
I know we love Keon for the defense but offense looked so lost without Huerter.

I love Keon but let's be real we're looking at GPII 2.0
I think this point is sort of fair though Keon is a better catch and shoot shooter.

With DDR and Keegan in the line-up you have too many guys to run dribble hand-offs if you add Huerter. Having a defense first high percentage C&S 3 player is the perfect person to have in that role.

Having Kevin coming off the bench to increase Bench scoring especially paired with Sabonis is a great fit.

I think this point is sort of fair though Keon is a better catch and shoot shooter.

With DDR and Keegan in the line-up you have too many guys to run dribble hand-offs if you add Huerter. Having a defense first high percentage C&S 3 player is the perfect person to have in that role.

Having Kevin coming off the bench to increase Bench scoring especially paired with Sabonis is a great fit.
Huerter off the bench to pair with Monk is growing on me quite a bit:

-Gets him more USG, which is his primary value on the court. He's a good secondary playmaker and rebounder, but he needs to be out there to shoot the ball. That much was evident last season as Keegan/Monk took a leap forward.
-Gets him away from having to defend better 2's and 3's.
-Really like the point you brought up where he can be one of the first rotations in when Fox/DDR come out and let him and Domas cook in the 2-man game.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I like every lineup except the one where Huerter starts haha

Starting SG is really the only position up for debate. Fox, DeRozen, Keegan, and Domas are all locks to start.

I'm hoping it's Ellis, I think he's earned it and the fit is brilliant with his defense and 3pt shooting.

I'd start Sabonis/Murray/DeRozan/Huerter/Fox. Maybe Huerter has a resurgence this year and we want to keep him. If not we at least need to advertise him for a trade.

Monk's best role on a good team is as a 6th man that plays heavy minutes.

Yes, but it's like 3-5 games with the top players not playing full minutes. I'm not in favor of taking a guy who has started over 96% of the games he has played for our team and pushing him out of the starting lineup to begin the next season in favor of a guy who has a half-season worth of minutes played in the NBA based on preseason. If you want to burn a bridge, that's how to do it. If Keon is going to take the starting spot from Huerter, he should grab it and wrest it away based on his play during the regular season, in direct competition with a healthy Huerter. If he wins it "fair and square" then he wins it. If you just hand it to Keon, you'll get a disgruntled Huerter who now has a dysfunctional relationship with management and has to be traded but in the meantime tanks his trade value by not playing hard. If Keon *takes* it, Huerter might understand. If it's handed to Keon, you've burned Huerter completely. May as well trade him now. (Not saying we aren't looking at that, BTW. But handing the starting spot to Keon to open the season is like lighting money on fire.)
I agree with you to an extent, but let’s not forget that Huerter wasn’t exactly lighting it up with his play either. Now, Keon didn’t exactly take it from him as he was injured, but Huerter was close to unplayable at times before he went down. He had some crazy cold streaks and it really dragged our team down. What you need from a starter is consistency of some kind, be it on defense or offense. I do agree that Huerter will get the starting nod, but that leash is going to be very very short. I hope we trade him because he doesn’t fit as well as he once did, especially if his play continues to be poor.

I agree with you to an extent, but let’s not forget that Huerter wasn’t exactly lighting it up with his play either. Now, Keon didn’t exactly take it from him as he was injured, but Huerter was close to unplayable at times before he went down. He had some crazy cold streaks and it really dragged our team down. What you need from a starter is consistency of some kind, be it on defense or offense. I do agree that Huerter will get the starting nod, but that leash is going to be very very short. I hope we trade him because he doesn’t fit as well as he once did, especially if his play continues to be poor.
There was a lot of discussion that maybe Keon should start, before Huerter got hurt. The question was would Brown actually do it.