Who do you want, if the Kings pick #6 to #8 overall in the draft?

Who do you want the Kings to pick at the #6 to #8 slot?

• Mikal Bridges

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Miles Bridges

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Wendell Carter

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Jaren Jackson

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Kevin Knox

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Collin Sexton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trae Young

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Someone from the top 5 will slide to the Kings, WHO?

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be curious how Trae Young will look come combines and workouts.
I'm not advocating here, its just likely that after today's win against Houston we will be picking 7 or 8. That's about where Trae is projected to go, and who knows what the FA market might bring to fill needs.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'll be curious how Trae Young will look come combines and workouts.
I'm not advocating here, its just likely that after today's win against Houston we will be picking 7 or 8. That's about where Trae is projected to go, and who knows what the FA market might bring to fill needs.
We're more likely to pick 6th than 8th by a good margin. In fact we are also more likely to pick top-3 than 8th. Pending the coin flip, our odds are:

1st: 5.3%
2nd: 6.0%
3rd: 7.0%
6th: 22.0%
7th: 45.2%
8th: 13.6%
9th: 0.9%
10th: 0.01%

Our odds will change, of course, once the coin flip happens.

If we're picking 6-8, which is looking likely, my options are Carter, Bridges (both of them, though I'm one of the few that thinks Miles is a better NBA prospect), and Young. I didn't even want to consider Young but we cannot miss in this draft again. Just cannot. Young has his holes but he has a lot of talent and more upside than a lot of the guys projected around that spot. I'd rather have 2 good PG prospects and have to trade one, than drafting another Robinson/Stauskas/insert bust.

Also have to take MPJ/Bamba if they're still around at 6-8.

If there's any year to move into the top 3, this would have to be it. That's what pisses me off about this season, the complete lack of foresight by the front office. But I'm not getting into that again. Maybe we'll get lucky for once in our history.

If we're picking 6-8, which is looking likely, my options are Carter, Bridges (both of them, though I'm one of the few that thinks Miles is a better NBA prospect), and Young. I didn't even want to consider Young but we cannot miss in this draft again. Just cannot. Young has his holes but he has a lot of talent and more upside than a lot of the guys projected around that spot. I'd rather have 2 good PG prospects and have to trade one, than drafting another Robinson/Stauskas/insert bust.

If there's any year to move into the top 3, this would have to be it. That's what pisses me off about this season, the complete lack of foresight by the front office. But I'm not getting into that again. Maybe we'll get lucky for once in our history.
I agree, I would rather have two promising PG's if that is the best player where we pick. I do not see how Trae measures 6'2"and his defense is certainly questionable but I think his shot and passing ability are undeniably really good. There are worse problems to have and as other posters have said he has the potential to be one of the better picks. As nice of pick as Mason might be, recon we can easily upgrade
Free agency is where we will fill a hole. I have cooled on Mario at SF, but wont be surprised if Vlade hasn't. I have never thought much of Randle but if we are loaded with shooters guess some toughness is needed.

I think we actually have the ammunition to move this year if we want to. There are guys in the top 4-5 that I think are worth it, we'll see what the FO does. I think this off-season and coming season are going to be their chance to prove they belong.

Maybe I've just talked myself into accepting the Kings' likely draft position, but I can't shake the feeling that one of Carter or the Bridges will end up better than Bagley/MPJ/Bamba. I just hope Vlade and company figure out who it is.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, Jackson is most often discussed in the top three, if not higher (the learned folks at the Stepien have him #2 behind Donicic). We'll see if he falls to six, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Most worrisome today is the news that Carter may return to Duke. (Link here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...e-blue-devils-undecided-nba-draft-parents-say)
Carter is over-rated in book. He should go back to Duke and get his degree. He looked "small" against teams in the NCAA, which means he probably looks like a dwarf against NBA competition. He's too earth bound to do very well in the NBA. imo.

I don't know how much of this year could have honestly been prevented. Sure, the George Hill/ZBO led team at the beginning of the year was really stupid, but both guys were honestly pretty bad and actually helped us lose games. ZBO was one of the worst defensive players in basketball this year by a pretty significant margin.

And then we had what? 4 game winners by Fox and 2 by Bogie? Pretty large aberration, especially for a bad team like us that doesn't win many games.

After Doncic and Ayton pretty much came off the board for us, I kind of stopped stressing about draft position. 3-8 is really damn close to me in talent and I think everyone is going to make a massive mistake taking Bamba and JJJ ahead of Carter. Him going back to school would be a disaster as I think the Kings would have been in an amazing spot to steal him in our draft spot.

With the optimism surrounding Giles, plus WCS seemingly in the future plans, im going to go out on a limb and say kings will draft a wing in MPJ or Bridges or Bridges

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know how much of this year could have honestly been prevented. Sure, the George Hill/ZBO led team at the beginning of the year was really stupid, but both guys were honestly pretty bad and actually helped us lose games. ZBO was one of the worst defensive players in basketball this year by a pretty significant margin.

And then we had what? 4 game winners by Fox and 2 by Bogie? Pretty large aberration, especially for a bad team like us that doesn't win many games.

After Doncic and Ayton pretty much came off the board for us, I kind of stopped stressing about draft position. 3-8 is really damn close to me in talent and I think everyone is going to make a massive mistake taking Bamba and JJJ ahead of Carter. Him going back to school would be a disaster as I think the Kings would have been in an amazing spot to steal him in our draft spot.
A lot to agree with here. First on Carter, who I think was very misused at Duke, and overshadowed by Bagley. I think who ever drafts Carter is going to get a very good player. I always saw Carter as a David West type player who could pick and pop, and straight line drive etc. He proved to be a much better defender than Bagley at the basket, and also showed us the ability to shoot the three. The problem is that it came in a small sample size and infrequently. Contrary to what some think, Carter is a pretty good athlete. Unfortunately he was contrasted against Bagley, who is a freak athlete.

I agree with you about taking Bamba ahead of Carter, but believe someone will. However, I think JJJ is the best natural defender in the entire draft. His shotblocking instincts are off the charts, and his recognition of when to help from the weakside is outstanding. Offensively he's more of a work in progress, but he's hardly what I would call raw. He does have some good post skills, although he seldom had an opportunity to show them off, and he showed the ability to shoot the three, although his shot motion (very slow), needs a lot of work.. When you factor in that he's one of the youngest players in the draft, he's definitely a top 5 player. I personally have him going third.

Of course I'm a huge Mikal Bridges fan and I've been promoting him for months. He's simply a perfect fit. He comes out of a system that is very similar to what the Kings are running. He shot just under 44% from the three, and shot 50% overall. He was his conference defensive player of the year last season and is considered a front runner again this year. He's a SF and we need a SF. The only SF that I would take over Mikal is Porter, and that's only if the team doctors are adamant about Porter's injury not affecting his future.

If we remain at six, I can easily see a scenario where both Mikal Bridges and Porter Jr. are sitting there, and possibly Bamba and Young as well. If you deem that Young is the best player out of that group, then you take him. But I don't see that happening. I see it coming down to a choice between Porter and Mikal. Porter's workouts are going to be extremely important for both Porter, and the Kings. If we walk away with a healthy Porter, or with Mikal Bridges, I'm happy. Now if we get lucky in the lottery, scratch all of the above.

A lot to agree with here. First on Carter, who I think was very misused at Duke, and overshadowed by Bagley. I think who ever drafts Carter is going to get a very good player. I always saw Carter as a David West type player who could pick and pop, and straight line drive etc. He proved to be a much better defender than Bagley at the basket, and also showed us the ability to shoot the three. The problem is that it came in a small sample size and infrequently. Contrary to what some think, Carter is a pretty good athlete. Unfortunately he was contrasted against Bagley, who is a freak athlete.

I agree with you about taking Bamba ahead of Carter, but believe someone will. However, I think JJJ is the best natural defender in the entire draft. His shotblocking instincts are off the charts, and his recognition of when to help from the weakside is outstanding. Offensively he's more of a work in progress, but he's hardly what I would call raw. He does have some good post skills, although he seldom had an opportunity to show them off, and he showed the ability to shoot the three, although his shot motion (very slow), needs a lot of work.. When you factor in that he's one of the youngest players in the draft, he's definitely a top 5 player. I personally have him going third.

Of course I'm a huge Mikal Bridges fan and I've been promoting him for months. He's simply a perfect fit. He comes out of a system that is very similar to what the Kings are running. He shot just under 44% from the three, and shot 50% overall. He was his conference defensive player of the year last season and is considered a front runner again this year. He's a SF and we need a SF. The only SF that I would take over Mikal is Porter, and that's only if the team doctors are adamant about Porter's injury not affecting his future.

If we remain at six, I can easily see a scenario where both Mikal Bridges and Porter Jr. are sitting there, and possibly Bamba and Young as well. If you deem that Young is the best player out of that group, then you take him. But I don't see that happening. I see it coming down to a choice between Porter and Mikal. Porter's workouts are going to be extremely important for both Porter, and the Kings. If we walk away with a healthy Porter, or with Mikal Bridges, I'm happy. Now if we get lucky in the lottery, scratch all of the above.

I don't disagree here and I think JJJ suffered a bit from never really getting a chance to shine on the offensive end, but I still didn't see any sort of offensive polish from him. He's got that tantalizing physical profile and athleticism and I do think he can walk into the NBA and make an impact on defense. But on offense we're totally just guessing if he figures out how to play on that end and what his actual ceiling might be on the offensive end. Him having a 3-ball does alleviate some concerns about him not being a total nothing offensively.

David West is an outstanding comp for Carter. That honestly just clicked perfectly in my head. Incredibly intelligent player, Impact defender, has a really well-balanced offensive skill set,good, not great athleticism, great phyiscal profile and length, can flex at the 4 and 5, can shoot the ball. I think West would have been a great 3pt shooter too if he grew up in this era; he was absolute money on that mid-range pop of the PnR from CP3.

The big divide for me between JJJ, Bamba and Carter is I don't see a huge gap between JJJ/Bamba and Carter on the defensive end, but I trust Carter to develop as a good offensive player WAAAY more than JJJ/Bamba. Every time I watched Duke play, I just saw Carter pretty much be the only one to make any sort of defensive impact and that shows out in the metrics too. He made up for a lot of mistakes from the atrocious perimeter defense from the Duke wings.

I think you really have to trust your developmental process for JJJ and Bamba on the offensive end for them to be worth their draft status. They of course have the defensive pedigree and physical/athletic profiles, but it's tough for me to invest a top-end pick on a guy I'm not entirely sure develops into a great offensive player. I have that belief in my top 5 of:

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
Carter
Mikal Bridges

JJJ and Bamba do come in at 6 and 7 respectively after those 5 though.

Dzanan Musa has now officially declared for the draft. I'm not saying he should be in consideration where we pick but I am curious how he will stack up to other small forwards coming out.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Dzanan Musa has now officially declared for the draft. I'm not saying he should be in consideration where we pick but I am curious how he will stack up to other small forwards coming out.
I've seen several games with Musa and he's a terrific offensive player. Physically he needs to get stronger, but he has gotten stronger from a season ago. He's a good athlete who can shoot the three, and put the ball on the floor and attack as well. Most of the question marks center about his ability to defend. He certainly has the physical tools, strength aside. I think he's a fringe lottery choice. Personally I have him going at 14, but some boards have him at 16 to 20.

For those interested in watching European basketball there's a great website, http://www.livebasketball.tv/ that shows almost all the games, and also has a great video library where you can go back and re-watch games, or see games you may have missed. It's been a great tool for me, giving me a chance to see Doncic, Musa and many others this year. It's not free, but the monthly fee isn't outrageous.

I've seen several games with Musa and he's a terrific offensive player. Physically he needs to get stronger, but he has gotten stronger from a season ago. He's a good athlete who can shoot the three, and put the ball on the floor and attack as well. Most of the question marks center about his ability to defend. He certainly has the physical tools, strength aside. I think he's a fringe lottery choice. Personally I have him going at 14, but some boards have him at 16 to 20.

For those interested in watching European basketball there's a great website, http://www.livebasketball.tv/ that shows almost all the games, and also has a great video library where you can go back and re-watch games, or see games you may have missed. It's been a great tool for me, giving me a chance to see Doncic, Musa and many others this year. It's not free, but the monthly fee isn't outrageous.
If we get Bamba at 6/7 I’d trade Skal to get one of Phoenix picks to get Musa

If we get Bamba at 6/7 I’d trade Skal to get one of Phoenix picks to get Musa
That could potentially address our two most glaring needs.
Iv'e only watched clips of Musa but I like what I see. Hes still 18 so should be able to get a good deal stronger. Again, I look forward to seeing him work out vs some of the frequently mentioned college SF's.

Dean Demakis voiced a similar criticism in his scouting report on Porter last summer: https://deanondraft.com/2017/06/24/2018-preview-is-michael-porter-a-future-nba-star/
I really enjoy Dean's takes. He was also one of the first to spot that Jontay might be the better Porter. Dean has his fair shares of misses but he also gives really valuable analysis and he has a point here.
I'm really high on Jontay as he is in my top 10. He is a special talent. He would also fit a huge need for the Kings as a stretch/playmaking big. Fits Joergers system. Great fit next to Willie and/or Giles. You got the athletic freak in Willie, the energy big in Giles and the skill big in Jontay. I'm sure Vlade would like him as well (if he has him on the radar). If the Kings don't like who is available to them at their pick, they might look to trade down again, this time possibly with the Clippers for #12 and #13. Might have to stash your secound rounder then because of roster spot concern. In that case, I think Jontay would be a great target + one of the wings thats still available, probably Knox or even Miles.

I really enjoy Dean's takes. He was also one of the first to spot that Jontay might be the better Porter. Dean has his fair shares of misses but he also gives really valuable analysis and he has a point here.
I'm really high on Jontay as he is in my top 10. He is a special talent. He would also fit a huge need for the Kings as a stretch/playmaking big. Fits Joergers system. Great fit next to Willie and/or Giles. You got the athletic freak in Willie, the energy big in Giles and the skill big in Jontay. I'm sure Vlade would like him as well (if he has him on the radar). If the Kings don't like who is available to them at their pick, they might look to trade down again, this time possibly with the Clippers for #12 and #13. Might have to stash your secound rounder then because of roster spot concern. In that case, I think Jontay would be a great target + one of the wings thats still available, probably Knox or even Miles.
Jontay and Musa might not be bad. If we end up at 8 or 9 the Clippers might want to chose the best point available.

Jontay and Musa might not be bad. If we end up at 8 or 9 the Clippers might want to chose the best point available.
I love Jonathan I think he’ll be very good but I wouldn’t trade back unless we got a player back in return.

Something like

WCS/7 or 8/JJ
For
Otto Porter/15

We get a very good SF while drafting Porter who has new era game. Resign KK to a 4 year deal to split time with Giles until he’s ready.

Porter is extremely young he’ll be 19 for his rookie year and at 6’10- 240 hell have great size with nba training.

I love Jonathan I think he’ll be very good but I wouldn’t trade back unless we got a player back in return.

Something like

WCS/7 or 8/JJ
For
Otto Porter/15

We get a very good SF while drafting Porter who has new era game. Resign KK to a 4 year deal to split time with Giles until he’s ready.

Porter is extremely young he’ll be 19 for his rookie year and at 6’10- 240 hell have great size with nba training.
Yeah definitely risky to trade down because Jontay might go #11 to Charlotte anyways. On the upside however, you might be able to get two top ten guys (Jontay+Miles) at 12+13 because they are undervalued in the draft processes because of overblown physical concerns so it might be worth it.

I like your trade idea for Otto Porter.

Yeah definitely risky to trade down because Jontay might go #11 to Charlotte anyways. On the upside however, you might be able to get two top ten guys (Jontay+Miles) at 12+13 because they are undervalued in the draft processes because of overblown physical concerns so it might be worth it.

I like your trade idea for Otto Porter.
I think the Porter trade works out for both teams as Washington is in cap hell. Taking off 50mill over the next 2 years while adding WCS plus a the number 7 pick is a great get for them. We’d get an extremely talented player who is young and plays a position of need. I’d rather do that than wait 2-3 years for Bamba whose not guaranteed or Bridges

I would prefer a stand-up triple, Mikal Bridges. If we swing for the fences it should be via trade should a disgruntled star become available (Jokic, Giannis, Beal).
If Porter or Mikhal Bridges is available we should take him. I just don’t think they will be available if we pick 8. And right now eight is a real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.