Who do you want, if the Kings pick #6 to #8 overall in the draft?

Who do you want the Kings to pick at the #6 to #8 slot?

• Mikal Bridges

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Miles Bridges

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Wendell Carter

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Jaren Jackson

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Kevin Knox

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Collin Sexton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trae Young

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Someone from the top 5 will slide to the Kings, WHO?

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you figure Phoenix would pick Young? Unless they totally flip the bird to the defensive end. Orlando is my money ball for Young they seem to be the most likely team to reach.
Phoenix passed on all the point guards last year for Josh Jackson. Then traded Bledsoe and tried to replace him with Elfrid Payton, who is a very subpar starting PG.

They also drafted Chriss, Bender and Jackson for their front court just one or two years ago and will likely give them more time.

A Devin Booker and Trae Young back court could be the next great scoring backcourt, the next GSW. They suck on defense regardless, so a dynamic scoring back court may outscore opponents, if they can't stop them. They could be a very dynamic scoring backcourt.

Last edited:
I can live with Carter/Bridges at around the 7/8 spot. Carter is definitely growing on me and is a very talented player with good physical traits. I'm also a fan of both Bridges. I think we're more likely to go SF than big in this draft given we have Harry coming back next season, so I'd be focusing most of my attention on the Bridges. I think Miles has a significantly higher upside, he really is a terrific athlete and even though he didn't improve much this year, he's been very productive both years of school and can play both sides of the ball. I always worry about late bloomers like Mykal, but you do have to like his game. Very strong defense, knocks down the 3, and showing an expanding offensive game. I'd be fine with him too. Looks like his productivity was held back his first two years due to his lack of strength and passive personality, but he has worked hard on both of those things.

The thing to keep in mind with Orlando is they have a new front office. Weltman came from the Raptors and Hammond came from the Bucks. They value athleticism and length, something Young does not really possess. So unless they are desperate to fill the PG vacancy and ignore their preference, I think they are more likely to favor Doncic, Bamba, Jackson and Ayton as their main targets. Bagley and Porter could be options as well but they already have Isaac and Gordon set to play SF and PF so they are a questionable fit.

I hope T. Young goes really high to Orlando for example right now im thinking Mikal Bridges would fit in nicely.
Mikal could be a good fit for us if we pick outside the top five. He's got potential to be a really good 3 and D wing. However I hope the draft gives us more than that because we could really use a difference maker to help take us to the next level.

I think Trae Young will be appealing to both Orlando and Phoenix. He should be gone if the Kings are picking #6-8 or later.
Not necessarily. Of the top seven guys (Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, Porter, Bagley, Doncic, Young) I think Young is the most likely to fall to 8 or 9 if Mikal Bridges rises and someone else moves up in the rankings. I like Young and think he's got a lot of upside but the risk his game doesn't translate and his defensive question mark could put teams off.

Also which teams in the top 8 or 9 need a PG? Orlando do but Young doesn't have the athleticism and length they prefer. Possibly Cleveland but they do have Hill and Clarkson. So it is a possibility Young ends up falling as the teams at the top snap up the bigs and wings, leaving Sexton and Young available at 8 and 9 alongside Carter, Knox and Miles Bridges.

How do you figure Phoenix would pick Young? Unless they totally flip the bird to the defensive end. Orlando is my money ball for Young they seem to be the most likely team to reach.
Phoenix did trade for Elfrid Payton, but is he the answer for them at PG? If not then Young could appeal to them. However I think they are more likely to go for Bagley, Jackson, Bamba or Ayton. They already have Booker, Warren and Jackson so I suspect a big is on the cards for them.

Last edited:
Phoenix passed on all the point guards last year for Josh Jackson. Then traded Bledsoe and tried to replace him with Elfrid Payton, who is a very subpar starting PG.

They also drafted Chriss, Bender and Jackson for their front court just one or two years ago and will likely give them more time.

A Devin Booker and Trae Young back court could be the next great scoring backcourt, the next GSW. They suck on defense regardless, so a dynamic scoring back court may outscore opponents, if they can't stop them. They could be a very dynamic scoring backcourt.
Actually a big like Bamba, Jackson or Ayton makes sense for them if they want to upgrade their center position. All three are an upgrade over Bender.

Bagley makes sense for them because he should be a more physical PF and gives them another scoring option. Chriss is useful but he's a fourth option kinda player.

The issue with pairing Young and Booker is that means they've got two lacklustre defensive players in their backcourt. They should be able to score for fun but their defense is going to take a hit. If anything they'd be better off trying to select SGA with one of their mid first round picks or using them to trade up to get him. He projects to be a good defensive player and they can make up for any offensive shortcomings by pairing him with Booker.

The thing to keep in mind with Orlando is they have a new front office. Weltman came from the Raptoes and Hammond came from the Bucks. They value athleticism and length, something Young does not really possess. So unless they are desperate to fill the PG vacancy and ignore their preference, I think they are more likely to favor Doncic, Bamba, Jackson and Ayton as their main targets. Bagley and Porter could be options as well but they already have Isaac and Gordon set to play SF and PF so they are a questionable fit.

Mikal could be a good fit for us if we pick outside the top five. He's got potential to be a really good 3 and D wing. However I hope the draft gives us more than that because we could really use a difference maker to help take us to the next level.

Not necessarily. Of the top seven guys (Ayton, Jackson, Bamba, Porter, Bagley, Doncic, Young) I think Young is the most likely to fall to 8 or 9 if Mikal Bridges rises and someone else moves up in the rankings. I like Young and think he's got a lot of upside but the risk his game doesn't translate and his defensive question mark could put teams off.

Also which teams in the top 8 or 9 need a PG? Orlando do but Young doesn't have the athleticism and length they prefer. Possibly Cleveland but they do have Hill and Clarkson. So it is a possibility Young ends up falling as the teams at the top snap up the bigs and wings, leaving Sexton and Young available at 8 and 9 alongside Carter, Knox and Miles Bridges.

Phoenix did trade for Elfrid Payton, but is he the answer for them at PG? If not then Young could appeal to them. However I think they are more likely to go for Bagley, Jackson, Bamba or Ayton. They already have Booker, Warren and Jackson so I suspect a big is on the cards for them.
Ya Orlando’s GM was in a podcast this week talking about length and athleticism. On Orlando’s page they've already eliminated Young based on the podcast they’re going Bagley, Jackson, or Bamba

Here is the thing about NBA 3.0 and trying to emulate the GSW model. Guards and Wings are highly valued, bigs not so much, unless you are a "unicorn" type big. NBA is a copy cat league.

If you look at the last couple of drafts, bigs are not as highly sought after as wings and guards, unless you are a "unicorn" type big like Ben SImmons and Porzingas. Big, defensive bigs are dropping in drafts.

Last year there were no PF or Centers picked until # 7 (Markarren) and 10 (Collins) and Markarren was considered a "unicorn" type big.

The only bigs in this draft to be sure fire top 3 or 4 picks are Ayton and Bagley. The other bigs could go up or slip down. I think that wings and guards may rise (Porter, Mikal Bridges, Kevin Knox, Trae Young and Sexton), while some of the bigs may slip like Jaren Jackson or Bamba.

It will be an interesting draft, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the top big man slip to the Kings in the 6-8 range.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Here is the thing about NBA 3.0 and trying to emulate the GSW model. Guards and Wings are highly valued, bigs not so much, unless you are a "unicorn" type big. NBA is a copy cat league.

If you look at the last couple of drafts, bigs are not as highly sought after as wings and guards, unless you are a "unicorn" type big like Ben SImmons and Porzingas. Big, defensive bigs are dropping in drafts.

Last year there were no PF or Centers picked until # 7 (Markarren) and 10 (Collins) and Markarren was considered a "unicorn" type big.

The only bigs in this draft to be sure fire top 3 or 4 picks are Ayton and Bagley. The other bigs could go up or slip down. I think that wings and guards may rise (Porter, Mikal Bridges, Kevin Knox, Trae Young and Sexton), while some of the bigs may slip like Jaren Jackson or Bamba.

It will be an interesting draft, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the top big man slip to the Kings in the 6-8 range.
I really hope you're right! I'd be happy with Bamba, JJJ, or Carter (well, I'd be happier with landing in the top 3, but you take what you can get)!

And if we grab one of those guys, it'll make WCS expendable. I think he has more value to us as a tradable asset than what he brings on the court, especially if Giles is legit. Sell high!

Last edited:
With Vlade and Peja's influence, I wouldn't rule out Musa as a sleeper pick in this range.

Even as SF is a need for us (Porter, Mikel Bridges, Kevin Knox), IMHO I still think we drastically need a real rim protector. Of course Ayton and Bagley would be great, either Jaren Jackson or Bamba, if either slips to us, would be a god-sent. I know we need 3 pt shooters (like the SFs mentioned above), but we don't have anyone at all who would be a great rim protector. We could get a good SF in free agency or a trade this year or next year, and Jackson might surprise us all in the next two years.

Go Kings!!!

I can live with Carter/Bridges at around the 7/8 spot. Carter is definitely growing on me and is a very talented player with good physical traits. I'm also a fan of both Bridges. I think we're more likely to go SF than big in this draft given we have Harry coming back next season, so I'd be focusing most of my attention on the Bridges. I think Miles has a significantly higher upside, he really is a terrific athlete and even though he didn't improve much this year, he's been very productive both years of school and can play both sides of the ball. I always worry about late bloomers like Mykal, but you do have to like his game. Very strong defense, knocks down the 3, and showing an expanding offensive game. I'd be fine with him too. Looks like his productivity was held back his first two years due to his lack of strength and passive personality, but he has worked hard on both of those things.

Was he really a late bloomer though? He's sort of a rare college player where he found ways to fit the role his team needed to be an insanely valuable player. Freshman year he was their 6th man rotation guy. Last year, an almost prototypical 3 and D guy and then expanded his game this year as they needed more offense and playmaking.

I just wouldn't classify him as a guy who was a nobody for 2 years then made a major leap his junior season. He's been good pretty much his whole college career and expanded and improved his game as his new role for that season called for.

Even as SF is a need for us (Porter, Mikel Bridges, Kevin Knox), IMHO I still think we drastically need a real rim protector. Of course Ayton and Bagley would be great, either Jaren Jackson or Bamba, if either slips to us, would be a god-sent. I know we need 3 pt shooters (like the SFs mentioned above), but we don't have anyone at all who would be a great rim protector. We could get a good SF in free agency or a trade this year or next year, and Jackson might surprise us all in the next two years.

Go Kings!!!
I see a lot of this, and not to pick on the above, but I would love for one of the Bamba-pumpers to regale me with stories of all the great rim protection the Cavs and Warriors have had over the last four years. Many folks need to realize that Gobert is a one-off, and if Bamba is more than touching distance away from Gobert’s productivity, then he is pretty useless. Bamba would be a pretty large bet of a lot of draft capital, and our only real deaft capital over the next two years. I wouldn’t be so strident about this if I didn’t think the general zeitgeist does have an impact on the owners, etc.

That’s Bamba the player. In addition, as I have stated previously, Texas players are iffy character fits for our program/city. We need guys with a high natural drive for the game who prefer to avoid some of the more elitist aspects of that basketball life. Our city has a LOT to offer the discerning young millionaire, but one must still fit the generally lowkey vibe of the city. Texas, for a variety of reasons, predominately attracts the exact opposite type of athlete across all sports in its athletic department. I would be stunned if Bamba was a fit with the rest of the team, organization, and city. It’s conceivable, but highly unlikely. He’s not exactly PJ Tucker.

Last edited:
I see a lot of this, and not to pick on the above, but I would love for one of the Bamba-pumpers to regale me with stories of all the great rim protection the Cavs and Warriors have had over the last four years. Many folks need to realize that Gobert is a one-off, and if Bamba is more than touching distance away from Gobert’s productivity, then he is pretty useless. Bamba would be a pretty large bet of a lot of draft capital, and our only real deaft capital over the next two years. I wouldn’t be so strident about this if I didn’t think the general zeitgeist does have an impact on the owners, etc.

That’s Bamba the player. In addition, as I have stated previously, Texas players are iffy character fits for our program/city. We need guys with a high natural drive for the game who prefer to avoid some of the more elitist aspects of that basketball life. Our city has a LOT to offer the discerning young millionaire, but one must still fit the generally lowkey vibe of the city. Texas, for a variety of reasons, predominately attracts the exact opposite type of athlete across all sports in its athletic department. I would be stunned if Bamba was a fit with the rest of the team, organization, and city. It’s conceivable, but highly unlikely. He’s not exactly PJ Tucker.
Bamba scares me. I am hoping the Kings end up drafting in the Top 5. One of JJJ, Bagley. Or Porter should be there.

B

gunks

Hall of Famer
Trae Young. You don't pass on this guy..
Hopefully someone picking ahead of us feels the same way!

I get the hype, stud shooter who can also pass, but drafting another PG seems like giving up on Fox. It would be tough to properly develop them both.

Vivek has to be salivating over Young though. Curry 2.0 and all that!

I get the hype, stud shooter who can also pass, but drafting another PG seems like giving up on Fox. It would be tough to properly develop them both.

Ya I agree in would put ya in a tough spot but man I think Young will be special. He’s a passing wizard with an automatic shot and high IQ player.

We’d have to trade Fox to do that though can’t start both players. The only way to take Young is by having the Cavs after to a Fox for the Nets pick before we take Young than at 8 you take Mikal Bridges.

Young-Bogdan-Bridges would be lethal on offense all elite shooters, 2 playmakers, and 3 defenders with Bridges possibly being elite. Also have two big SG/SF would be ideal fit next to Young so that’s good. With training and less offensive responsibilities I think Young won’t be atrocious at the Defensive end and with Giles/WCS in the front court will help.

Imagine a small ball lineup of
Young-Hield-Bogdan-Bridges-Giles

Regarding Young, strong rumors out of Norman that he lost the locker room about half way through the season, which precipitated their plummet in play. It’s pretty unprecedented for a PG that good at getting easy buckets for teammates to lose the locker room that badly, irrespective of team makeup (seniors/juniors/etc.). Young comes across as somewhat eccentric...very Pistol Pete-ish. Fox has always been a strong leader at the PG position and a galvanizing force on the court and in the locker room. I want to stick with Fox.

I really hope you're right! I'd be happy with Bamba, JJJ, or Carter (well, I'd be happier with landing in the top 3, but you take what you can get)!

And if we grab one of those guys, it'll make WCS expendable. I think he has more value to us as a tradable asset than what he brings on the court, especially if Giles is legit. Sell high!
Im ready to get what we can for WCS. Either to trade up or for another pick. Just sooo uncordinated. He is fine if he can dunk it but when creating his own shot look out. Watching McGee and WCS side by side there are a LOT of similarities.
Next year, if we are trying to win, KK fits much better as the starting center with out group. Must have hia rebounding out there. And Giles and Skal are both in a tier above WCS IMHO at this point. If we need a switcging defensive big that is a poor rebounder, id even go as far as saying Bruno can replace what WCS doea with out much dropoff. WCS is just getting squeezed out.

Ya I agree in would put ya in a tough spot but man I think Young will be special. He’s a passing wizard with an automatic shot and high IQ player.

We’d have to trade Fox to do that though can’t start both players. The only way to take Young is by having the Cavs after to a Fox for the Nets pick before we take Young than at 8 you take Mikal Bridges.

Young-Bogdan-Bridges would be lethal on offense all elite shooters, 2 playmakers, and 3 defenders with Bridges possibly being elite. Also have two big SG/SF would be ideal fit next to Young so that’s good. With training and less offensive responsibilities I think Young won’t be atrocious at the Defensive end and with Giles/WCS in the front court will help.

Imagine a small ball lineup of
Young-Hield-Bogdan-Bridges-Giles
I wouldn't count Bogdan as a defender and I definitely wouldn't count Young as one. I bet he's just about the worst defender in the league next year.

He's a risk for sure but you would have to have a Celtics type lineup from last year for it to be successful. There's a reason why IT hasn't been effective at all except for when he was in Boston next to Bradley, Crowder and Horford. Bridges in the lineup would be a step in that direction but the Kings would have a long ways to go otherwise.

You don't pass on a guy with Young's talent. We are a crappy team, we should go into the draft and draft BPA regardless of position.. IMO that would be Trae Young.

ehhhhhhhh.. I am not sold on Fox as a good PG yet. He's a good basketball player but not sure if he will ever be a PG that can lead a team to the playoffs. Young is IMO a once in a decade PG/overall awesome player you don't pass on. Kind of like Stephen Curry in regards to where he will be drafted.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You don't pass on a guy with Young's talent. We are a crappy team, we should go into the draft and draft BPA regardless of position.. IMO that would be Trae Young.
It's the top of the draft, everyone is talented. Young isn't particularly big or athletic. While he can shoot, it's not like the Kings don't already have a couple of guards capable of shooting just as well.

If you're drafting Young you better be prepared to hand the keys entirely over to him. We're not in a position to do that and Fox has shown plenty this season.

If we land at 9 which is very likely, I'd go with one of the Bridges (I'm more of a Miles fan) or Carter, unless someone falls.

We don't discuss him here because we drafted Fox last year.
Collin Sexton will be a special player. He's super high energy and fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.