What's your pick today (June 13, 2018)?

Who do you want at the #2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luka looks tired to me. His older clips are more impressive than his latest. He has played 70 games since August. But he should recover quickly at his age and the slow pace teams play there. Its not like they are playing break neck speed in Real Madrid! I don't know what to make of it . I can tell you I like the Luka from six months ago than the Luka I have seen this month. Its important since gauging his level of athleticism correlates to how big of a star he may or may not become. There's a waning confidence I have with the athleticism I have seen lately, but he could just need a few weeks off mentally and physically to get his bounce back.
He played Euro championship during the summer. He didn't have a break for almost two years.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you imagine Donovan Mitchell on the Blazers? I mean, 12 other teams can say the same but Blazers were in a close range.
Or the Kings.

With perfect hindsight the right play would have been to make the Blazers deal and take Mitchell at 5, Anunoby or Collins at 15 and Kuzma at 20.

Can you imagine how badly the media would have crucified Vlade and the front office if they actually made those picks though? Lots of post draft "grades" of D- and F.

Just another reminder of how inexact a science the NBA draft is.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's possible Mitchell benefited from playing on a winning team.

It's possible in 3-5 years nobody will question picking Fox. It's one of those things with high draft picks, nobody typically picks them based on what they are going to provide their rookie season. It's all potential. Even with Doncic where a lot of people assume you're getting a good look at the finished project seem to forget how vastly different a body changes between 19 and 24 and also how Euros and USA value different things in their athletes.

Luka because of the rare combination of intangibles. He has incredible court vision and is a very willing passer along with a high basketball IQ and heart/desire to win. He will make his teammates better. I question whether guys like Bagley or Porter have the ability to make their teammates better. Even if Bagley plays really well and puts up 20/10 type numbers in a couple years, will guys like Buddy and Giles play better just by playing with Bagley? I doubt it.

With Luka I do think think there is real concern that he doesn't develop into a star. It may be more likely he just becomes the ultimate role-player.......but even if that is the case guys like Fox, Giles, WCS, and Buddy will benefit. If a guy like Fox or Giles becomes a star in part because their playing with Luka that's almost as good as Luka becoming a star himself.

I find myself wanting anyone but Luka at this point lol. I don't know if it's because of the fear of adding another Bogdan to this team and calling it good for two years or if it's because since I'm not one hundred percent sold on Luka I've ended up arguing about his deficiencies with others on this site a lot.

If he ends up being Bogdan 2.0 that would be a rough team to try to get excited about with no pick next season. That's a 30 win club with not much hope for the future outside of fox becoming John Wall or something like that. I want a guy with extraordinary upside at #2 that also comes in and plays great right away. Ayton is obviously that guy but since he'll be gone I think jjj is that guy too. Doesn't look like we're really considering jjj or bamba though so that leaves us with Bagley or Porter. I don't love either of these guys either but at least there's upside there. If Bagley is a new version of Amare Stoudemire and fox and hield continue to progress that's something to be excited about. If Porter is a new tmac that could be huge too. All in all though I'm not really excited about any of the three guys we're rumored to be choosing between.

Jjj or bamba over any of these three for me.

I voted Luka this time around. Vlade knows this kid and for some reason is not sold on him. You would think that he would want him in the worst way but I think Vlade and Vivek don't want the safe pick. they want to go for the highest ceiling. I think MPJ has allstar written all over him. BUT reading that he cancelled Friday would make me very nervous. I think Bagley is going to be a bust. If i make the decisions for the Kings and it is my team my board is this
1) Ayton- Question marks about desire
2) Doncic- Questions about his ceiling
3) JJJ- The safest pic but not a high ceiling
4) MPJ- Back and what is he trying to hide
5) Bamba- Awful raw

I would not take Bagley and if he is the pick I hope I am wrong about him being a bust
I think the Kings fans would trust Vlade on a Euro players. The Kings scout Europe hard and if anyone knows what it takes to be successful it would be Vlade and Peja.

I don’t know who I would pick but I suspect this year will be studied by draft geeks for years to come.

Think length is a critical factor: see Bamba the longest player ever.

Think athleticism matters: see Bagley with an incredible first step and second jump.

Think skill and IQ matters: see Doncic who may be among the highest IQ, skilled players ever.

Think having a prototype NBA body: see DeAndre Ayton built like a basketball god.

All these players have a capability to an extreme and glaring gaps in other areas. If you built a set of hypothesis athletes to test what really matters you would struggle to have more perfect test cases.

I don’t know who I would pick but I suspect this year will be studied by draft geeks for years to come.

Think athleticism matters: see Bagley with an incredible first step and second jump.

Think skill and IQ matters: see Doncic who may be among the highest IQ, skilled players ever.

Think having a prototype NBA body: see DeAndre Ayton built like a basketball god.

All these players have a capability to an extreme and glaring gaps in other areas. If you built a set of hypothesis athletes to test what really matters you would struggle to have more perfect test cases.
I think the mental aspect of the game factors in somewhere. I don't know exactly to what extent or even how to evaluate or measure it. From my limited perspective I like Bagley and Doncic in that area. It's a fascinating draft for sure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Quite possibly the most comprehensive yet succinct assessment of the draft I've seen thus far. :)

Think it's a combo of all of the above: see jjj who combines skill, length, and athleticism.

Great post, all of these guys are major outliers in certain categories with weaknesses in others.

Yes you did, but I'm not just referring to IQ or feel for the game. I think Doncic and Bagley have a mental toughness in addition to their understanding or feel that set them apart. Like I said, I'm not sure how to evaluate it or measure it, just something I see in their games.
True competitiveness is a factor though I’m not sure any of them is at an extreme in that regard?

This pretty much sums the conundrum up. One thing is for sure not all of these players are going to be stars. Among the Top-7 odds are a couple develop into all-stars or even superstars, a couple are busts, and a couple are somewhere in-between. Odds are also that one or two guys after the Top-7 will also become all-stars and maybe one even exceeds all projected ceilings and becomes a franchise player.

What makes these draft's so interesting and impossible to predict for anybody is that what makes players successful is constantly evolving as well in terms of environmental factors and nature vs. nurture type elements in play. Style of play within the league and their own team both make a difference. Does the coach fit and/or adapt to their playing style and personality? Are they playing with teammates who will accelerate or inhibit their growth?

We know we can measure: Size, Strength, Speed, Leaping Ability, Wingspan, Injury History, etc.

We think we can measure: General intelligence, Basketball IQ, Character, Toughness, Work Ethic, etc.

We wish we could measure: Heart, Ability to Stay Cool Under Pressure on and off court

Things we can't account for: Career altering injuries and luck

I think Ayton, Bagley, and Doncic all have star potential and should be our only picks.

Bagley with a jumpshot is a 20-10 guy to me easily and he has that “IT” factor. However he has to step up defensively he doesn’t need to be a rim protector but he has no choice but to be a good defender on ther perimeter. Has to be average at least in pick and roll and be good when he switches out there. If this doesn’t happen he’ll be a liability like KAT defensively.

Y’all know how I feel about Doncic

Status
Not open for further replies.