what was the last movie you watched?

RRR (Rise. Roar. Revolt)

Truly a case study of cinematic “spectacle.” I’d put it on par with Hero or The Fall in being a worthwhile experience for visually compelling cinema alone.
For an even better spectacle, you should check out the director's (S S Rajamouli) earlier films: "Baahubali: The Beginning" and "Baahubali 2: The Conclusion" -- an epic revenge saga with spectacular visuals.

For a revenge story of a different kind, you can watch the director's "Eega" where a murdered lover get reincarnated as a housefly and seeks revenge on the villain. Doesn't this sound ridiculous? Well, prepare to be pleasantly surprised and thoroughly entertained.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Used 3$ movie day on Saturday to go see Thor Love & Thunder.

My first Marvel movie in theatres… and I think I’m all-in now. I’ll be seeing more of them as they come out now.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Used 3$ movie day on Saturday to go see Thor Love & Thunder.

My first Marvel movie in theatres… and I think I’m all-in now. I’ll be seeing more of them as they come out now.
If that movie made you all-in.... :oops:

Glad you enjoyed it, though!

For an even better spectacle, you should check out the director's (S S Rajamouli) earlier films: "Baahubali: The Beginning" and "Baahubali 2: The Conclusion" -- an epic revenge saga with spectacular visuals.

For a revenge story of a different kind, you can watch the director's "Eega" where a murdered lover get reincarnated as a housefly and seeks revenge on the villain. Doesn't this sound ridiculous? Well, prepare to be pleasantly surprised and thoroughly entertained.
I’m not sure how invested into Tollywood I’m going to get now. This really was a one off while the fam was gone to see what all the fuss was about. But, I appreciate the roadmap should I venture further into that wilderness.

Will admit, the housefly revenge story does pique my interest a bit. Thanks!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If that movie made you all-in.... :oops:

Glad you enjoyed it, though!
Combined effort with watching Guardians 1 & 2 on D+ a little while back.

Going 3-3 in the Marvelverse has me all in.

And honestly.. it doesn’t take a lot to impress me from a movie. I liked Batman Vs Superman and have seen in multiple times. I even liked the first Suicide Squad except Leto’s Joker.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Combined effort with watching Guardians 1 & 2 on D+ a little while back.

Going 3-3 in the Marvelverse has me all in.

And honestly.. it doesn’t take a lot to impress me from a movie. I liked Batman Vs Superman and have seen in multiple times. I even liked the first Suicide Squad except Leto’s Joker.
Gotcha. I thought maybe you didn't enjoy others but liked this one.

Frankly, overall to me this is one of the poorer showings just because I don't like the overly comedic turn and over-reliance on "less elevated" humor with Thor. I liked the first Thor a lot better because of the tone and type of humor it employed. But that's just me. :)

You should probably check out the Ant-Man movies as well then - they are also fairly humorous at times but in a way I enjoy more than the last couple Thor flicks.

While many of the MCU movies are fairly self-contained, in order to get the nuances of the overall storyline (especially through Infinity War/Endgame), you should try watching them in the order released or a chronological order. Enjoy!

One of my new favorite directors that I’ve come across is Mike Flanagan. I’m working through his work over time. The first movie I watched by him was Doctor Sleep. This was the Shining sequel and I loved how he put this together. I didn’t really pay attention to who the director was at the time but now that I’ve watched a few other things by him, big fan

Midnight Mass. Netflix. This was a series and it was top notch. Really has some Stephen King aspects to it and Kings influence is all over the place. Like Kings best works, there is some depth to this supernatural but the supernatural really isn’t the focus. Damn good.

The Haunting of Hill House. Netflix. Was so fired up about Midnight Mass, saw that this series also got a massive good rating and it also delivered. There are lots of bad “horror” films and projects out there that just rely on shock value or scares but this also has some depth to the story. Also, Flanagan apparently really likes actress Kate Siegel who is in a lot of his stuff.

Doctor Sleep on HBO max As mentioned before, damn good film and does the book justice. Stephen King came up with a plausible and believable sequel book to The Shining. Funny to say believable in Stephen Kings supernatural world but it made sense to me.

Hush. Netflix. Just watched this one and though it’s not a masterpiece it had me on the edge of my seat for the 75 minute run. Kate Siegel plays a deaf and mute writer who is stalked at her house in the woods by a killer in a cat and mouse setting.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught a couple with my dad last night - first he wanted to watch The Flame and the Arrow (1950, rental on Prime) - he hadn't seen it since, well, 1950 or so, and I couldn't pass up a chance to watch a Burt Lancaster flick. Like many movies from that time, it was a little silly at times and there are some misogynistic parts that wouldn't fly well today, but it was entertaining, and I didn't realize he was a circus performer in the 1930's - he put a lot of that on display in this swashbuckler.

The second we happened to chance upon scrolling through Hulu - The King's Man. I don't know that I have watched any of the movies in this series before, but this one was a bit too silly at times to be taken too seriously and a bit too oddly profane at times to be so silly. I never felt like it could grasp what it really wanted to be. Ralph Fiennes was very good, and the story had a couple of twists, but it just isn't something I'd recommend to watch.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Ah, forgot to mention I saw Black Adam a week ago. I like the Rock, Aldis Hodge was pretty impressive as Hawkman, and Pierce Brosnan did an admirable job as Dr. Fate.

One problem with this movie, more so than most other superhero flicks, is that you feel like you've seen just about all of it before.

Dr. Fate is obviously a lot like Dr. Strange, including some of the powers they use. Black Adam is like resurrected Superman in a different uniform (and saying "Shazam" to transform is obviously very familiar given another film DC released not long ago). Atom Smasher is Ant-Man in "big" mode. Cyclone is similar to Storm. Certain setpieces seem to be copied from other films. Sections of plot, superpowers, and other stuff go basically unexplained. On and on.

And the DC storyline plays out over and over - every single DC movie (even introductory ones) seems to be about saving the planet from destruction. At least Marvel introduces and builds characters more slowly much of the time (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Ant-Man, Spider-Man Homecoming, etc.) all have much "smaller" storylines to build characters, introduce new characters more slowly, etc. Black Adam introduces a SLEW of new characters - it's very ambitious in that way.

The film overall reminds me of this, again, to a certain extent, but not as much as many of the previous DC flicks:

I like both Marvel and DC. Marvel recently has been so random (good, bad, and strange) in their movies and shows though I have no clue how it will pull together. How will Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Eternals, Loki, Multiverse of Madness, Shang-Chi, Love and Thunder, etc., all "mesh"? It almost seems like they are dipping into a MASSIVE Flashpoint-type storyline (from the Flash TV show), and that was just WAY overplayed for my taste. I also dislike what they've done with Thor in the last couple films, for example - they aren't that funny and they really start to detract from the good film that was the first Thor. On the other hand, DC has not been able to throw together too many consecutive movies that actually make any sense as a cohesive whole (Joker, an excellent flick, makes no sense in the larger universe, for example), spoiling the feeling of the "universe" they are trying to build (and some of their films were just not good, either, like the Suicide Squads, Green Lantern, etc.).

Marvel needs to dial it back to the more solid storylines they had building up to Endgame, and DC needs to actually find a way for their universe to be cohesive and make sense (and, just sometimes, lighten up a little bit). I generally like the Marvel flicks better overall for tone, character development, and feel (especially films like Avengers, Infinity War/Endgame, the Captain Americas, etc.) but The Dark Knight is a freaking masterpiece as well.

DC can do it, they just don't very often. Black Adam tries to hit all the right notes, but it just doesn't really succeed. Better than many recently, perhaps, but still falling short.

Watched The Good Nurse on Netflix. Stars Chastain and Redmayne and is based on a true story. Worth watching, unbelievable story and then of course, the acting is superb.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Decided to postpone some work this afternoon (eh, I'll have time to work on work this weekend) and took my son to go see Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - it was a pretty decent film hitting some emotional notes regarding Chadwick Boseman's death (and their decision not to replace the actor in the same role). The story itself was a little light for the length of the film; they probably could have cut it back some without much loss. The film seemed to lack a bit of "even-ness" on occasion, but overall was enjoyable. Acting was well done. I like the new characters introduced in the film and look forward to where they lead in the future.

Edit: I will note that this film also suffers from feeling "familiar" in certain ways - it feels like it was partially developed in concert with the new Avatar (based on the Avatar trailer that's been out for a bit) and a couple of the "new" characters seem an awful lot like others we've seen in the MCU/DCU recently.

I think part of the issue with this film is that it is trying to provide emotional closure to Chadwick Boseman/the Black Panther "character" passing away but that's hard to do when it doesn't happen "on screen". There just isn't that same emotional connection to the event when the wonderful actor passed away 2 years ago and it was stated early on that the MCU would not be replacing the actor with another in the same character. So we knew this was coming and have had a couple years to wrap our heads around it. On screen, it's a "new" event to the film. But not to the audience. I think they did a good job with what they did (and it was the right approach for the MCU/fans), but it didn't carry the same emotional heft as other character deaths (Iron Man, Black Widow, etc.) due to the foreknowledge and time passed.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched Werewolf by Night (Disney+) - short B&W throwback to the monster hunting films of old with a bit of a modern touch. I thought it was pretty fun and different than the normal monster fare.

Last edited:
I'm attempting to watch every Bond movie in chronological order. I most recently watched The Man with the Golden Gun. I liked it mostly because of Nik Nak, the main antagonist's sidekick. Otherwise, it was decent. Im currently watching The Spy who Loved Me. It's been interesting seeing how much better camera's got between the early 1960's and late 1970's.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm attempting to watch every Bond movie in chronological order. I most recently watched The Man with the Golden Gun. I liked it mostly because of Nik Nak, the main antagonist's sidekick. Otherwise, it was decent. Im currently watching The Spy who Loved Me. It's been interesting seeing how much better camera's got between the early 1960's and late 1970's.
I just got my dad the whole set of flicks to give to him for Christmas. This one, but found it cheaper elsewhere:

Amazon.com: The James Bond Collection [Blu-ray] : Various, Various: Movies & TV

He doesn't have any streaming services, etc., so this is a good way for him to have them all*.

* He doesn't really like the Daniel Craig ones as much for several reasons, so this collection not having the very last movie isn't a big deal....

Got a chance to watch Don’t Worry Darling
I personally liked it although critics are poking some holes in the storyline but ignoring those things, it’s interesting and enjoyable

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Battling a cold, so I decided to catch up on a couple things here and there, including a little more Diablo 3 time on the PC. :)

Did watch Jurassic World Dominion, and it was OK. The problem is it is basically nothing we haven't seen before in the first 5 JP flicks. The acting was generally very good and the cast returns from the previous 5 flicks but that alone can't make this a good to great film.

Watched The Swimmers on Netflix last night. Based on a true story of 2 sisters who leave Syria during the bombings and the dangerous path leading to Yusra striving to make her and hers dad/coach dream of going to the Olympics as a swimmer.

Decided to postpone some work this afternoon (eh, I'll have time to work on work this weekend) and took my son to go see Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - it was a pretty decent film hitting some emotional notes regarding Chadwick Boseman's death (and their decision not to replace the actor in the same role). The story itself was a little light for the length of the film; they probably could have cut it back some without much loss. The film seemed to lack a bit of "even-ness" on occasion, but overall was enjoyable. Acting was well done. I like the new characters introduced in the film and look forward to where they lead in the future.

Edit: I will note that this film also suffers from feeling "familiar" in certain ways - it feels like it was partially developed in concert with the new Avatar (based on the Avatar trailer that's been out for a bit) and a couple of the "new" characters seem an awful lot like others we've seen in the MCU/DCU recently.

I think part of the issue with this film is that it is trying to provide emotional closure to Chadwick Boseman/the Black Panther "character" passing away but that's hard to do when it doesn't happen "on screen". There just isn't that same emotional connection to the event when the wonderful actor passed away 2 years ago and it was stated early on that the MCU would not be replacing the actor with another in the same character. So we knew this was coming and have had a couple years to wrap our heads around it. On screen, it's a "new" event to the film. But not to the audience. I think they did a good job with what they did (and it was the right approach for the MCU/fans), but it didn't carry the same emotional heft as other character deaths (Iron Man, Black Widow, etc.) due to the foreknowledge and time passed.
Finally got around to watching this. Agree with everything posted. Thought it was good at best, more like a solid film trying to pick up the pieces after the passing of Boseman and I thought they did as well as they possibly could in telling the story. Tbh, I think the absence of Boseman is really going to hurt this vehicle despite all of the fantastic actors and characters in the film, Boseman’s absence is huge, he was that good.

Watched Pinocchio last night on Netflix. This is the new version from Guillermo Del Toro. So his version as expected and weaving original storyline throughout the movie. Using Stop Animation. It was great. Highly recommend it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
We've got tix to go see Avatar 2 on Thursday (3D IMAX) so dad wanted to re-watch the first one. Absolutely still beautiful and entertaining with the same thin story I remember. ;)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Adult Swim's Yule Log
might be my favorite horror movie of the year in a very very strong year for horror. It was also apparently directed by the guy behind Too Many Cooks.

Just don't watch if you've eaten a big Christmas ham.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I don't think my low tolerance of a 3 hour+ movie with what is likely a completely rehashed cookie cutter plot will allow me to see it ever.
Yeah, I'm sure it will not be too complex or deep. But not every movie has to be. :) I'm fully expecting a movie more reliant on beautiful visuals and some Cameron-type storytelling than on the actual story itself.