what was the last movie you watched?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Where are these available to watch? Please include that info for the rest of us, if/as possible.
In my blu-ray player, if you wanna come over. (Though not The Leopard, at this time.)

Based on a friend's experience a while back I think In A Lonely Place is available for rent on Prime but I'm not sure if it's available with any basic streaming package.
Yeah, for me it's also Blu Ray... both are Criterion Collection. I try to get them used on ebay to save a little money. Availability changes so often on streaming services and I primarily watch older movies which aren't available on most streaming services anyway so I still like to buy the discs.

Usually if you google the movie title or if you look it up on imdb.com there's a little sidebar which will show you where the movie is available. It doesn't look like The Leopard is currently streaming for free anywhere so you would have to rent it for a few dollars (from YouTube, Apple TV, Amazon, Google Play, or vudu) but I found In a Lonely Place on tubi here.

Where are these available to watch? Please include that info for the rest of us, if/as possible.
To help your movie hunting, I want to take this moment to plug Kanopy, which is a streaming platform that provides 5 free movies a month to anyone with a library card.

I rediscovered it back in October when Godard’s death inspired me to seek out his films again. Being connected to the library system, many of the movies Kanopy offers are of the “culturally and artistically significant” variety. Perhaps needless to say, it had a rather deep selection of Godard’s filmography.

I say “rediscovered” because I used the service to watch L’Avventura and Tokyo Story years ago, then completely forgot it existed. Hard to believe I’d left this proverbial forgotten chest of treasures to rot in the attic. Certainly worth a look.

And no, I’m not the president of Kanopy, just a client.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yeah, for me it's also Blu Ray... both are Criterion Collection. I try to get them used on ebay to save a little money. Availability changes so often on streaming services and I primarily watch older movies which aren't available on most streaming services anyway so I still like to buy the discs.

Usually if you google the movie title or if you look it up on imdb.com there's a little sidebar which will show you where the movie is available. It doesn't look like The Leopard is currently streaming for free anywhere so you would have to rent it for a few dollars (from YouTube, Apple TV, Amazon, Google Play, or vudu) but I found In a Lonely Place on tubi here.
Yeah, I often google them to see if it pops up somewhere but that isn't always comprehensive. It's just helpful if it is on a streaming service, etc., to list it when you discuss what you are watching to make it easy on everyone else who might be interested. :)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Does Criterion still have a streaming service? I used to own a lot of their titles, including stuff like Hard Boiled and Spinal Tap on DVD that I purchased in the early day of DVD that became some of the pricier DVDs for collectors. But I haven't kept up beyond the bizarro essentials.

My Dinner with Andre (1981)

Extraordinary a philosophical dinner discussion between two estranged friends on existential dread and new age metaphysical transcendentalism could sustain a movie’s nearly 2 hour runtime.

Andre’s surrealist stories initially make him sound like the lunatic he’s been made out to be as Wallace politely feigns interest just to make it through the meal. But Andre’s cadence and energy are almost trance-inducing, so he’s able to carry the audience with him through the first half.

At about the hour mark, shortly after Andre discusses the faux-near death experience of a buried alive simulation, Wallace begins to engage in earnest, and the two really explore together the concepts Andre had been addressing. The lunacy-veil fades into a fairly coherent response from a man convinced the world’s gone mad, with a respectful, humanist counter-response from Wallace, as the two really, truthfully, seek to see each other.

Thought this was better suited for a one-act play at first, but the intimate two shots, push zooms, and close-ups add a vital intimacy to the experience.

… I should add, when Wallace described something as “inconceivable” I tittered gleefully because I am a small child.

@Warhawk the full movie is currently on YouTube as “Your Dinner with Andre”

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
My wife wanted to watch a romcom tonight so we saw Your Place or Mine (Netflix) - it's cute, predictable, and just like probably every Hallmark movie ever made, but she liked it so I guess that's what matters.

Warhawk

Staff member
My son isn't the biggest movie watcher at home - he's always watching sports or doing something else - but we threw in The Dark Knight Blu-ray the other day and he really liked it (he'd never seen it before).

Went to the theater and saw Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania yesterday and it was pretty middle of the road (definitely not one of the better Marvel flicks, but not at the bottom of the list either). Everyone did a good job with their roles, but I didn't really care for
MODOK
. I don't know what the character was like in the comics, but this version just didn't do much for me at all.

I know the MCU is leaning into the multiverse idea/storyline, but I REALLY hope they don't go too hard into that as that is what really tempered my enjoyment of the Flash TV show. It's somewhat lazy writing (IMO) and I'd rather see something else like a Thanos than more multiverse jumping, especially if they drag it out (Flash has been milking that same formula for several seasons and it just doesn't work well).

Decided to watch Dune (2021) again on the iPad while donating blood this morning (every two weeks - platelets and plasma - save a life!) and finished up at home this morning. Can't wait for Part 2!

Watched 3 movies over the long weekend
Ant man’s new one…..I liked it, didn’t love it but def watchable.

Halloween Ends on Prime. Yeah, good time to end this.

Woman King on Netflix. One of the better movies I’ve seen in a while. My wife and I both enjoyed it. Viola Davis once again does a great acting job in the role. Highly recommend.

Warhawk

Staff member
My wife wanted to go catch a flick so I let her pick. We went to see 80 for Brady - kinda cute in a semi-chick-flick kind of way, somewhat predictable, funny little Easter Egg right at the end. My wife found it a lot more funny than I did, but there were a few bright spots in that department. I'm not recommending it for the general audience, but it was a little better than I expected.

Warhawk

Staff member
Monday Midnight Movie Marathon!

Nothing like a campus-wide accreditation evaluation to induce some good old fashioned stress insomnia (stessomnia?)

With Pete Davidson’s “Gimme a short-ass movie” ringing in my ears, I took a late night swing at what Kanopy had to offer with a runtime coming in at around the 90 minute mark.

Days of Heaven (1978) -1h 34m

Cinematography is superb as advertised, taking the Barry Lyndon approach of shooting largely during the Golden hour.

There are panning landscape shots layered with the creaks and thuds of plodding wagon wheels and crackling chirps of crickets that made me feel as though the screen had engulfed my living room and my couch was suddenly outside in the elements. Blocking is extraordinary too incorporating characters and buildings within the natural environment as if becoming an extension of the wild. Not yet sure on the exact symbolism of the wheat, but seems clear as it’s threshed, harvested, laid fallow, regrown, and finally ravaged by locusts and fire it’s as much a central character as the gruff little girl narrator.

Story is plain and mostly predictable, especially when juxtaposed to the striking grandeur of the visuals. But I thought the straight-forward love triangle and simple scheme-gone-wrong narrative added intimacy in its simplicity, and worked well as a foil or even complement to the vivid imagery.

What I cannot square my mind with though is the editing. I know it’s sacrilegious to disparage Malick’s masterpiece, the cleanly subtle genius of editing legend Billy Weber, and the general consensus of the tastemaker community, and in doing so I’m announcing to the world I’m a feeble-minded rube who just doesn’t get it.

But I just don’t get it.

In some ways, this is cut like an action movie - snapping from scene to scene with the breakneck speed of a golden retriever watching tennis. Dissolves before scenes or even sentences are fully finished. Entire scenes edited down to their most important words or revelations, with no setup and abruptly ended, ushering us off to the next truncated scene or an unrelated shot of horses.

I’ve done my due diligence and looked up opinions praising the editing specifically. Mostly, they call the editing approach economical, boiling down each scene to only its most important, salient, and memorable parts, cutting out the fluff and self-aggrandizing naval-gazing of other such visually stunning epics. They say the scenes work as independent, interconnected groups of cells emphasizing how each is specifically important rather than focusing on how they flow in and out of each other in the grander narrative. Or that it is meant to mimic the hazy memory or dreamlike experience of our child narrator

Maybe that’s all true. But I felt like I was trying to enjoy the Grand Canyon after Clark stole money from a cash register.

Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) -1h 22m

This is a bit of a cheat because I only got through 20 minutes before I realized I’d seen it before. Probably indicative of how much of an impact it left the first time around. Cutesy nostalgic and playfully imaginative, but the “this is the real world, you can’t just … “ jokes are about on par with Last Action Hero. The back and forth between the stranded movie characters and the confused audience is a highlight though.

Breathless (1960) - 1h 30m

Godard’s death in October inspired me to dive into his catalog again, but even still I hadn’t seen arguably his most famous film in more than 20 years. Not since my French teacher enthusiastically played parts of it for us assuming its genius would be self-evident.

She didn’t explain any of the experimental and revolutionary editing techniques for which the film is famous, skipped the entire middle section of the bedroom scene because she said it was “boring” (or maybe more accurately, thought we would find it boring), and was weirdly emphatic in pointing out the Humphrey Bogart allusions.

It didn’t connect.

I’ve come to appreciate Breathless now that I understand how its use of jump cuts, pan shots, handheld camera-work, 4th wall breaking, and guerrilla-style permit-less filming on location were giant middle fingers to the stagnated Hollywood style at the time. It’s got this raw punk rock vibe to it that I completely missed seeing it without context 40 years after its release.

Still not one of my favorite French New Wave films, nor even Godard films for that matter, but certainly worthy of the praise.

And the bedroom scene really ties the movie together.

The Limey (1999) - 1h 29m

Rather serendipitous I watched this right after Breathless because it prepped me for this one’s non-sequential experimental editing.

I’d been searching quite some time for a third Soderbergh film to join Out of Sight and Ocean’s Eleven as some sort of hyper-slick and jazzy cool trilogy, and this story of a cockney hitman searching for his daughter lands closest to the mark.

The non-linear jump cuts add an intriguing twist to what might otherwise be a fairly by-the-numbers Tarantino-lite revenge/redemption arc crime dramedy. If anything, I’d like to have seen Soderbergh push the gimmick a little further, but still a fun ride all the same.

Road House (1989) - 1 h 54m

This one’s a bit of a cheat too, because it came a few days before my midnight marathon, was on Netflix, and is well beyond the 90 minutes theme. But I really wanted to highlight it because my wife of all people picked it out and even more shockingly hung tight watching through to the end.

It’s aggressively stupid, and rife for the MST3K treatment. Yet, I can fully see why this became a cult classic. Only Swayze could have pulled off a “superstar” bouncer with a philosophy doctorate and made that even remotely believable.

In truth, the troglodyte DNA that would evolve into one of my own cult favorites Point Break is present and thriving here. I might even be in the Road House cult myself if it had stuck closer to the gloriously ludicrous Roaming Zen Warrior Poet Cleans Up and Moves On theme and nixed the Dalton goes Rambo on the twirling-mustached villain’s compound element.

Regardless, fantastically fun watch. Was the second time seeing this for me … and I remembered every bit of it.

Doesn’t do me any favors in the feeble-minded rube department, does it?

Last edited:
Sorry everyone. In my delirium, went rather overboard in the last post. Promise to be more brief.

Battle Royale (2000)

Was concerned I’d find the visceral violence repellent, but in truth I found it hilarious. Rather more disturbed by that revelation than any of the actual teen-on-teen murders.

Would have enjoyed additional pre-game background to give the students’ actions, alliances, and betrayals added context, but clear why this garnered a cult following. Harder to understand the controversy and moral outrage now given this is the blueprint for the Hunger Games.

One-time watch for me, but I’ve added Mitsuko’s flashlight shot and the Lighthouse “that escalated quickly” scene as some of my favorites in film.

8 1/2 (1963)

This one broke me.

A meta-surrealist meditation on the creative process with occasional dips into dreams, fantasies, flashbacks, flash forwards, and nonsensical absurdism with a narrative ultimately all about the process of making the film that you as the audience are actively, currently watching.

Even in saying all that, I loved it.

Smartly funny. Thoughtful. Poignant. Nothing presented is gratuitous, but instead an earnest attempt to explore the complex psychology of the main character, his creative block, and how he relates to the people (especially women) in his life.

Plus, caught the dance scene Tarantino stole for Pulp Fiction. Super cool.

Sorry everyone. In my delirium, went rather overboard in the last post. Promise to be more brief.

Battle Royale (2000)

Was concerned I’d find the visceral violence repellent, but in truth I found it hilarious. Rather more disturbed by that revelation than any of the actual teen-on-teen murders.

Would have enjoyed additional pre-game background to give the students’ actions, alliances, and betrayals added context, but clear why this garnered a cult following. Harder to understand the controversy and moral outrage now given this is the blueprint for the Hunger Games.

One-time watch for me, but I’ve added Mitsuko’s flashlight shot and the Lighthouse “that escalated quickly” scene as some of my favorites in film.

8 1/2 (1963)

This one broke me.

A meta-surrealist meditation on the creative process with occasional dips into dreams, fantasies, flashbacks, flash forwards, and nonsensical absurdism with a narrative ultimately all about the process of making the film that you as the audience are actively, currently watching.

Even in saying all that, I loved it.

Smartly funny. Thoughtful. Poignant. Nothing presented is gratuitous, but instead an earnest attempt to explore the complex psychology of the main character, his creative block, and how he relates to the people (especially women) in his life.

Plus, caught the dance scene Tarantino stole for Pulp Fiction. Super cool.
8 1/2 is a remarkable film!

Warhawk

Staff member
I agree with this. A bit on the silly side at times, but still fairly enjoyable overall. I generally liked the tone of the first Thor movie better than the last couple but YMMV. There are 2 post-credit scenes, if you were wondering.
Watched Thor: Love and Thunder again and I think the frustrating part of this movie is that they can have a good storyline to follow and if they played it more like the first Thor it would be a much better movie. Waititi seems to have been intent on turning the Thor flicks into parodies, with the over-the-topness so over-the-top you can't even try to suspend disbelief because it is so absurd at times. Christian Bale was excellent, though.

Warhawk

Staff member
Dad wanted to see the D&D movie in the theater so we went this afternoon. It's pretty meh. Special effects are actually pretty good and it has an OK little story in there, but it definitely isn't deep or epic. The acting was overplayed at times and they have the trite "child thinks dad abandoned them" storyline throughout that could have used a little better writing. I liked Chris Pine in this, but Hugh Grant was wasted in this role. I guessed some of the plot points before they hit, but there was one minor surprise that snuck its way in there. Some of the action scenes and plot developments were just way out there though. Not recommended unless you are really bored and aren't looking for a deep storyline at all or have a somewhat younger kid that wants to see it. They appear to have been shooting for a bit of a younger audience, which is too bad. Could have been a bit more fun and enjoyable to adults with a bit of fine-tuning. It doesn't have to be LOTR to be good; just be more competent.

The Triplets of Belleville(2003). This is a French animated film and it blew me away, super impressed by this. Highly recommend.

Its got this Fleisher Studios type of animation from like 100 years ago, fans of the very popular game Cuphead will find it familiar.

This is hilarious and bizarre and its spectacular looking.

Years ago @Capt. Factorial offered me the knowledge of Kanopy in exchange for me promising to watch two films: Ozu’s Equinox Flower, which sadly still isn’t currently offered by the service, and a non-Godard French New Wave film. Even though I already knew of Kanopy before Cap pushed this bargain deal my way, I’m now halfway to paying him back.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)

A few on-the-nose metaphors with the consummate use of clocks and mirrors, but effectively plays as a female-perspective, ennui-laden High Noon. I love the in-color tarot reading open and how that supports the fairly subversive ending. And while it’s fascinating to watch the title character’s stress-induced, in-real-time metamorphosis from bubble-headed Barbie doll idol of the male-gaze into something of a three-dimensional person with actual agency, the true star is Paris itself, and the raw Street-eye-view of the chaos and bustle of the surprisingly gritty City of Lights. Godard and Karina’s silent film-within-a-film cameo is fun too.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Years ago @Capt. Factorial offered me the knowledge of Kanopy in exchange for me promising to watch two films: Ozu’s Equinox Flower, which sadly still isn’t currently offered by the service, and a non-Godard French New Wave film. Even though I already knew of Kanopy before Cap pushed this bargain deal my way, I’m now halfway to paying him back.

Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)

A few on-the-nose metaphors with the consummate use of clocks and mirrors, but effectively plays as a female-perspective, ennui-laden High Noon. I love the in-color tarot reading open and how that supports the fairly subversive ending. And while it’s fascinating to watch the title character’s stress-induced, in-real-time metamorphosis from bubble-headed Barbie doll idol of the male-gaze into something of a three-dimensional person with actual agency, the true star is Paris itself, and the raw Street-eye-view of the chaos and bustle of the surprisingly gritty City of Lights. Godard and Karina’s silent film-within-a-film cameo is fun too.
Ironically I rewatched this last Thursday!

Warhawk

Staff member
Saw Guardians 3 over the weekend. Absolutely loved it.
I'm taking my dad to see it tonight.

It was funny, when the first one came out he said he wouldn't like it because of the "stupid talking raccoon" (just the thought of the character in a movie) but went anyways. When this one was advertised he asked if we could go see it because he enjoys these characters after seeing the first two GotG and the other flicks. :)

Edit - As a "movie" there are a few plot holes and action parts that are a bit much, even for a Marvel flick, but I thought it was one of the better movies they've done recently as far as a story and character development and emotional depth. I'll be going again next week sometime to take my wife and son to see it, as they couldn't make it tonight with my dad. He didn't care for it as much but he's a grump when it comes to movies even though he still wants to see them all anyways.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Me and the lady are doing a Harry Potter watch (re-watch for her) because of Hogwarts Legacy.

We finished #5 last night … The only one I really didn’t like was Goblet of Fire because the Wizard Games seemed more like a bunch of inconsequential filler to kill time before the big happening in the last few minutes. Before Hogwarts Legacy I wouldn’t have given these the time of day.

Watched Air on Prime. A solid film. Didn’t really learn anything I wasn’t aware of but the star power with Damon and Affleck and then Viola Davis as MJ’s mom delivered the movie.