what was the last movie you watched?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Well, that's cool. They just needed one weekend of box office to green light it, huh?
I assumed they would come later. Again, not having read the book in so long, I wasn't sure either character had an appearance in the first half of the book.
This article states as much. (There are Dune spoilers in it if you care about that.)

'Dune: Part 2' Is Happening—But Denis Villeneuve Wants More (msn.com)

That left the first film ending on a cliffhanger, but now, audiences may be placated because, officially, a sequel is en route. All along, Part Two's fate has rested on how Dune performs at the box office. And the film’s $40.1 million opening weekend haul now made the plan inevitable.

The Hollywood bosses have kept viewers in suspense, but to some degree, the writing has been on the wall. WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff even suggested as much during an earlier conversation with Deadline. “Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie, you see how it ends," she said. "I think you pretty much know the answer to that." Sarnoff is likely referring to the film’s rather abrupt ending, which plenty of moviegoers have commented on. Despite loving the film, even Nashawaty said he felt like it ended “just as the real adventure seems to be beginning.”
In Part Two, viewers can expect Villeneuve's plot to favor the second half of Herbert's Dune, which tracks
Paul's rise to power among the Fremen and his eventual rebellion against Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV. Paul's journey to becoming the fabled "Kwisatz Haderach" will test his character and imperil his life. Meanwhile, the Atreides family expands: Paul and Chani grow romantically entwined, as his clairvoyant visions predicted, and Lady Jessica gives birth to a daughter, Alia, with outstanding Bene Gesserit abilities.
We won't spoil all the delicious twists and turns, but rest assured that the outline provided by the back half of the novel lends itself to a thrilling, more plot-driven story. It also means that the cast will have to expand; Villeneuve will need to cast
his Emperor Shaddam IV, along with the Emperor's daughter, Princess Irulan, who later becomes Paul's wife.

As for Villeneuve, the ambitious sci-fi director seems excited to get back to work—and in a perfect world, he won't be stopped at just one more movie.

"I always envisioned three movies," Villeneuve told Entertainment Weekly. "It's not that I want to do a franchise, but this is Dune, and Dune is a huge story. In order to honor it, I think you would need at least three movies. That would be the dream. To follow Paul Atreides and his full arc would be nice. Herbert wrote six books, and the more he was writing, the more it was getting psychedelic. So I don't know how some of them could be adapted. One thing at a time. If I ever have the chance to do Dune: Part Two and Dune Messiah, I 'm blessed."

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught Jungle Cruise tonight and it was better than I expected - the Rock is always entertaining and the movie had some good comedic banter throughout. An entertaining "Pirates of the Caribbean"-lite type flick. Everyone enjoyed it.

Caught Jungle Cruise tonight and it was better than I expected - the Rock is always entertaining and the movie had some good comedic banter throughout. An entertaining "Pirates of the Caribbean"-lite type flick. Everyone enjoyed it.
we took the kids to it when it first came out. Was a fun watch
If you like those types of movies check out Jumanji, Goosebumps and The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
we took the kids to it when it first came out. Was a fun watch
If you like those types of movies check out Jumanji, Goosebumps and The House with a Clock in Its Walls
I've seen Jumanji. Not the other two. They aren't the kind of movies I'd normally watch myself, but we had a friend over with her 9 year old girl and we let her pick the flick. But I'll keep that in mind if they stop by again for movie night soon!

I've seen Jumanji. Not the other two. They aren't the kind of movies I'd normally watch myself, but we had a friend over with her 9 year old girl and we let her pick the flick. But I'll keep that in mind if they stop by again for movie night soon!
Advise goosebumps 2 for Halloween today. Put it on inside for the kids while we are watching niner game outside

Watched 2 movies last night
Promising Young Woman on HBO max. That was a solid flick. A little twist of an ending that I didn’t see coming.

The Guilty on Netflix. This movie displayed Jake Gyllenhall’s talents as there was hardly any other actors on the screen. A solid flick but a great performance by Gyllenhall that raised it to that level.

Beetlejuice.

Might be among the most perfect Halloween movies out there.

No way this gets made today. I'm actually rather baffled Burton got it greenlit in 1988.

I'm thinking this movie would not exist in a universe where both Ghostbusters and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure were unsuccessful.

But as it is, we got Ghostbusters from the perspective of the ghosts, an afterlife of ghoulish bureaucracy, Sandworms on the moon of Saturn, intentionally B-grade claymation effects, and a title character who's a filthy, crude, pseudo-demonic, sexual deviant.

It is the most Burton of Burton movies.

Watched Finch on Apple+ and thought it was good but not great. Tom Hanks is great as usual and the robot was entertaining. Nothing groundbreaking but a movie you can enjoy.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I watched Black Widow again last night and thought it was better the second time around (not that I didn't enjoy it in the theater). Some of the family dynamics, etc., came through better on a repeat showing and there are always little things you catch once you know the basic storyline.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Went and caught Eternals tonight with my dad. Pretty "meh" overall. I like some of the actors, etc., but to me this definitely felt like one of the lowest-tier Marvel flicks. I thought the story they were telling wasn't bad, but the execution sure seemed to suffer from the normal quality that I expect. It just felt too long, uneven, and just a tad "off" for some reason. I never felt all that emotionally invested in the characters at all.

Some of the fight scenes were pretty well done, and I think some actors seemed to do better in their roles than others. One problem I think I have with it is I have no idea how this will play into the larger MCU. With Shang-Chi I can see how that gets incorporated. But I feel like I'm still scratching my head over this one....

Edit: Ok, this article with LOTS of spoilers helps explain things:

Eternals post-credits scenes explained, and how they set up the MCU's future (cnet.com)

Edit 2: Watched the Imax version of Shang-Chi last night on Disney+ and liked the format of the film (no letterboxing on the TV, but filled in the widescreen TV nicely). I like this one.

Last edited:
Watched Red Notice on Netflix with The Rock, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot. The wife and I really enjoyed it. The story itself was fine but the major star power made it enjoyable.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched Red Notice on Netflix with The Rock, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot. The wife and I really enjoyed it. The story itself was fine but the major star power made it enjoyable.
Yeah, this is on my list of things to watch. Any comparisons you can think of? Trying to figure out if getting my wife to watch it is feasible or if it isn't her kind of flick.

Yeah, this is on my list of things to watch. Any comparisons you can think of? Trying to figure out if getting my wife to watch it is feasible or if it isn't her kind of flick.
Well, Ryan Reynolds is basically in Deadpool mode, The Rock is his usual self and Gal Gadot is great. It’s got some action but really, it’s the comedy/interaction between Reynolds and Rock that make the movie. My wife commented that some of the scenes reminded her of Indiana Jones/Romancing the Stone. Certainly not as good as those movies but a solid Netflix movie.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Well, Ryan Reynolds is basically in Deadpool mode, The Rock is his usual self and Gal Gadot is great. It’s got some action but really, it’s the comedy/interaction between Reynolds and Rock that make the movie. My wife commented that some of the scenes reminded her of Indiana Jones/Romancing the Stone. Certainly not as good as those movies but a solid Netflix movie.
How about language? Lots of F-bombs or anything? I don't mind, but my wife gets put off by that.

sold

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Oh, ha! I actually thought the other character from your mix hypothesis below was him. They only said his name like once and I didn't catch it, so I figured, well, it's obviously that character. I had forgotten about the simpleton/brute character. It would seem extremely likely at this point that they mix them.

I even have the feeling that the Rabban character called the Baron "Uncle" at one point, but I might have been just anticipating it.

I assumed they would come later. Again, not having read the book in so long, I wasn't sure either character had an appearance in the first half of the book.
Looks like that character will be introduced in Part 2.
https://collider.com/dune-2-feyd-rautha-confirmed/

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Gonna watch Guardians of the Galaxy right now. I’ve never seen a Marvel movie, but the PS5 game sold me.

James Gunn is good. Probably getting sucked down the Marvel wormhole now.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watch his Suicide Squad. Well worth it.
I actually disagree, but different strokes and all that.

If you want to dig into the MCU a bit more but don't want to watch the films in order (or watch many of them at all), I'd recommend, at a minimum, at least watching the following flicks (in this chronological order):

Avengers
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War
then Avengers: Endgame (have to watch both to really get the full experience)

I'd also recommend Iron Man, Black Panther, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings as three "stand alone" character flicks that have pretty good stories and are pretty well-received. Captain America: The First Avenger is a much more deliberate flick and is also good.

I know many consider this sacrilege, but I actually like Iron Man 2 as well; more a guilty pleasure with introducing Black Widow and the Justin Hammer plotline and new Iron Man suits being introduced. I actually liked Mickey Rourke and Gwyneth Paltrow (who I normally think is a bit strange) in this.

If you like more of the offbeat comedy stuff, check out Thor: Ragnarok. This is one that many seem to rate higher than I typically do; I think they were trying just a *bit* too hard with the comedy but many seem to like it. Ant-Man is pretty funny too.

I actually enjoy just about all the MCU flicks. But these are some of those that seem to either rise above the rest in many ways or are a bit different and stand out for that reason.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Watch his Suicide Squad. Well worth it.
I’m all over the DC movies! I see those all in theatres day 1! THE Suicide Squad was amazing. I saw it in theatre then bought HBO+ and watched it 3 more times. Lol

Are you…good? Is this a cry for help? Do you need rescuing from a cult?
Lmao I’m just a salty DC fanboy who’s sad my movies always get trashed and Marvel is the golden standard of superhero movies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Lmao I’m just a salty DC fanboy who’s sad my movies always get trashed and Marvel is the golden standard of superhero movies.
I was never a huge fan of one or the other growing up as I didn't have access to or read a lot of comics as a kid. A few here and there, but that's about it.

DC has put out a few good ones - The Dark Knight and Wonder Woman are both fantastic flicks. One thing that annoys me though is that DC can't get their act together as far as consistency and continuity. While Marvel is far from perfect, their movies generally hold together much better, both internally and as a "universe", and are (for me) generally more entertaining to watch. Also, Mavel is using the same actors in the TV series as the movies, which DC for some reason refuses to do.

I think this is a VERY interesting look at the two men helming their universes (mostly Snyder) and how their respective upbringings and outlooks are reflected in their films themselves. Long, but definitely worth the watch.

The MCU vs. The SnyderVerse: The Real Difference Between Them (screencrush.com)

Conversely, the OTA DC TV shows have often been better than the Marvel ones (with some exceptions both ways, of course). I liked the Flash, Supergirl, and Arrow shows (well, until the last few seasons of Arrow) and some others. Flash went off the deep end a bit with Flashpoint (tried too hard with the time travel thing that was more annoying than anything else), but the show has been better recently. But the characters are well played, fleshed out, and enjoyable. Other than Agents of Shield, I'm struggling to think of earlier Marvel shows that were pretty good. The Netflix Marvel ones were generally good (except for Iron Fist), with Daredevil, Punisher, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage all being especially good. While these are "lesser" characters that aren't in the movies, their shows were very well done. I think that the Disney+ Marvel shows have been maybe not *quite* as good overall as the Netflix ones, but still want to see how they all play out and work into the larger MCU.

I'd just say give some Marvel flicks a try. I'm not saying you'll switch your fandom, but maybe you can come to enjoy flicks from both universes for what they are.

Last edited:
I actually disagree, but different strokes and all that.

If you want to dig into the MCU a bit more but don't want to watch the films in order (or watch many of them at all), I'd recommend, at a minimum, at least watching the following flicks (in this chronological order):

Avengers
Captain America: Winter Soldier
then Avengers: Endgame (have to watch both to really get the full experience)

I'd also recommend Iron Man, Black Panther, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings as three "stand alone" character flicks that have pretty good stories and are pretty well-received. Captain America: The First Avenger is a much more deliberate flick and is also good.

I know many consider this sacrilege, but I actually like Iron Man 2 as well; more a guilty pleasure with introducing Black Widow and the Justin Hammer plotline and new Iron Man suits being introduced. I actually liked Mickey Rourke and Gwyneth Paltrow (who I normally think is a bit strange) in this.

If you like more of the offbeat comedy stuff, check out Thor: Ragnarok. This is one that many seem to rate higher than I typically do; I think they were trying just a *bit* too hard with the comedy but many seem to like it. Ant-Man is pretty funny too.

I actually enjoy just about all the MCU flicks. But these are some of those that seem to either rise above the rest in many ways or are a bit different and stand out for that reason.
This mostly mirrors my recommendations. Although I’m not as high on Winter Soldier as everyone else. My personal Marvel “essentials” collection if you’re wanting to understand the overarching storyline with the least time investment is:

Iron Man
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Endgame

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
This mostly mirrors my recommendations. Although I’m not as high on Winter Soldier as everyone else. My personal Marvel “essentials” collection if you’re wanting to understand the overarching storyline with the least time investment is:

Iron Man
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Endgame
I think I like this one for the tone/feel of the movie and also the element of SHIELD not being invincible - Hydra's infiltration forces the heroes to do things they normally might not consider. Also, it gives us what I think are good introductions to the Winter Soldier and Falcon and the relationships between them and Captain America. In addition to being a good '70s "conspiracy"-type flick and having lots of good action sequences, the movie also has a lot of character building in it that plays out over the later films. I agree it isn't as critical "plot-wise" as the rest for an abbreviated list of Marvel flicks to watch, but it is a darn good movie.