what was the last movie you watched?

Prisoners of the Ghostland - Wow, not gonna waste anyone’s time here; This one’s bad. And not the “bonkers and fun” bad I was hoping for. I can ride the wave of a gonzo narrative with the best of them, but in truth, this one’s meandering nonsense is plainly … boring. That’s especially hard to do with Nic Cage in full Wicker Man mode.

Shame too. Had perhaps unwarranted high hopes for what I thought might be an Escape From New York meets Fury Road meets Six-String Samurai mash-up. Instead I got a surprisingly by-the-numbers post-apocalypse cliche collection with a handful of compelling visuals.

Interesting to note Cage has practically become his own genre. The only previews on the DVD were two other bizzaro Cage movies (Mandy and Color Out of Space), both released years before this one. Never seen that before.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Guardians Vol 2

Mostly loved it. Hated stupid baby tree Groot. That ended sequence hit all the feels.

Quite glad the PS game made me give these movies a shot.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Went and saw Ghostbusters Afterlife in the theater today with a friend. Parts were definitely a bit on the silly side, but overall it was fairly entertaining and they did a good job with an homage to the original shows. I liked Paul Rudd in this and Carrie Coon as well. Some silliness aside, we both enjoyed it more than we thought we would. We enjoyed it.

Warhawk

Staff member
The Netflix Marvel ones were generally good (except for Iron Fist), with Daredevil, Punisher, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage all being especially good. While these are "lesser" characters that aren't in the movies, their shows were very well done. I think that the Disney+ Marvel shows have been maybe not *quite* as good overall as the Netflix ones, but still want to see how they all play out and work into the larger MCU.
Just saw that Daredevil may be in the upcoming Spider-Man flick and I am ALL here for it. Same actor, too, which is awesome.

Daredevil In Spider-Man: No Way Home Just Got A Lot More Likely (screenrant.com)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched Nobody tonight and while entertaining in spots it felt like parts were a just a giant rip-off of flicks like John Wick, RED, and various other action flicks, but wasn't nearly as good as them. Meh.

Watched Power of the Dog. Getting lots of hype for the upcoming awards season. A slow paced movie and I spent most of the movie trying to figure out where it was going to go and then like I was told by others, the last 15 minutes clicked everything into place.

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched Hard Kill with Bruce Willis on Netflix. Not sure what happened to him, but these last couple Netflix flicks with him just aren't good. Pretty B-grade action flick with a sketchy premise, soldiers employing all kinds of stupid assault and gunfight tactics, so-so acting and dialogue, folks using night-vision goggles to see and shoot people when they are in front of a big illuminated window, people hiding from the bad guys keep slamming big metal doors, people being shot at hiding behind cardboard boxes and stacks of empty pallets, etc., etc. Really, don't bother. Parts are just so stupid it's like they aren't even trying.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Note for people wanting to go into Spider-Man clean when it comes out in a few days:

You might want to get off the internet for the next few days. Spoilers are literally everywhere.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rewatching the first Spider-Man movie to warm up for No Way Home. Somehow totally forgot Randy Savage was in this as Bonesaw McGraw in a comically dangerous wrestling cage match.

Willem Dafoe's performance as Norman Osborn remains absolutely iconic and it's interesting seeing how deliberate the pacing of this film was in comparison to the cut-and-run pace of modern superhero movies.

Also Peter Parker only talks to Mary Jane like three times in the entire movie and yet they are somehow deeply in love by the final scene.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well No Way Home was certainly a good movie to probably close out my theater going experience for the foreseeable future (just reading the tea leaves with how this wave of the pandemic is going not sure how the theater release schedules going to be in the next couple of months).

I don’t think it was necessarily the best movie movie of the Spider-man extended franchise (that would still have to be Homecoming for me) but it might be the best Spider-Man movie of the bunch in terms of sheer spectacle while also setting up a healthy course for future Spider-Films.

Warhawk

Staff member
Well No Way Home was certainly a good movie to probably close out my theater going experience for the foreseeable future (just reading the tea leaves with how this wave of the pandemic is going not sure how the theater release schedules going to be in the next couple of months).

I don’t think it was necessarily the best movie movie of the Spider-man extended franchise (that would still have to be Homecoming for me) but it might be the best Spider-Man movie of the bunch in terms of sheer spectacle while also setting up a healthy course for future Spider-Films.
I've got tix to see it Saturday. Looking forward to a fun movie theater experience.

Also picked up tix for the Matrix movie as well, so I hope that's still in the cards.

Warhawk

Staff member

I really enjoyed it. Well done! I'm not going to spoil anything - but what they did, and how they incorporated it - hit the nail on the head. Set things up for future flicks but I still really enjoyed the whole film as a standalone entity. BTW, there are 2 scenes after the film is over (one mid-credit, one post-credit).

Watched Power of the Dog. Getting lots of hype for the upcoming awards season. A slow paced movie and I spent most of the movie trying to figure out where it was going to go and then like I was told by others, the last 15 minutes clicked everything into place.
It didn‘t do it for me, and I’m a bit annoyed about it. I love a modern western and it was executed well, so not really sure why it didn’t land with me.

Now, a recent Netflix western I DID enjoy though was The Harder They Fall, which is the exact opposite of Dog.

Here’s 3 movies I watched

Swan Song. Apple TV. Mahersala Ali, I’m sure I spelled his name wrong was great in this. Not great as a movie but a nice watch for me.

The Unforgiveable on Netflix. A Sandra Bullock movie with other noteworthy actors like Viola Davis but it’s all aboutBullock. Like Swan Song, not a great movie but I enjoyed it and thought she was great. Actors like Bullock and Ali can certainly elevate a movie and that’s what happened here.

At the theater I watched Nightmare Alley. Not a whole lot of people in the movie house when I watched. This was good. Bradley Cooper was good, everyone was good in this.

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched The November Man (Netflix) yesterday just for the heck of it. Pretty run-of-the-mill spy/action flick.

In preparation for this weekend, I've just fired up the original Matrix movie. :)

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched Matrix: Reloaded and completely forgot that it ended with a "to be continued" message. It had been a while since I watched it, obviously.

While there were definitely some cool aspects to the film (the ability of the Twins to phase through objects, the use of that apparent power against them in fights, etc.), some of the fighting was a bit "meh" with choreography, etc. It was like they were happy to show off using the same technology but the actual fighting, in spots, slid a bit.

Of course, Hugo Weaving is still as good as ever, and I had forgotten it was Harry Lennix in this - I've really liked him in the couple things I've seen him in (Matrix: Reloaded and The Blacklist). Apparently he was also in the DC Universe a bit, but I don't remember him off hand.

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched it last night. What did you think? It was just ok for me.
Yeah, I'd seen it before but bought the BR set for cheap and watched them again. The sequels were entertaining enough, but definitely not as good as the original. I have tickets to go see the new one on Sunday and wanted to re-watch them all before I went.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Don't Look Up was meant to be a farcical satire when it was written (sometime before 2020) but plays differently after having gone through the last two years than originally intended, I'm guessing. Still, it was as enjoyable as a film about the end of the world can be and impeccably acted by Leo DiCaprio (fully channelling the manic energy of Jack Nicholson at his prime now), Jennifer Lawrence (making a return to acting), Mark Rylance (off-putting as a Zuckerburg/Musk tech billionaire), Jonah Hill (as great a comedy actor as ever), and Meryl Streep (the GOAT remains the GOAT).

The first half of the movie works better than the second half, which ends pretty much as expected but then gets wildly silly in a way that makes you remember that Adam McKay also directed the Anchorman movies, but the performances in this movie remain great all the way through.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I watched Don't Look Up last night as well. I've been listening to Sirota hype it up for months on end so I definitely went into it as a climate change movie although I think in his latest interview today or yesterday he admitted it could play to about 3 different scenarios that mostly happened after it was conceived. I thought it worked although I definitely did not like the affect that Rylance put on. I thought Perlman was brilliant in his scenes. Also the Blanchett/Perry pairing was brilliant. I really liked Perry in the more subdued role and while I recognized they were parodying modern television I wasn't quite sure who they were supposed to be. My only complaint was the runtime keeps it from being infinitely rewatchable despite some great performances and subtle gags.

Oh Arianna Grande's song was fun too. Almost Pop Star level. I enjoyed her considering as far as acting chops go I only know her extremely annoying Sam and Cat stuff.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I watched Don't Look Up last night as well. I've been listening to Sirota hype it up for months on end so I definitely went into it as a climate change movie although I think in his latest interview today or yesterday he admitted it could play to about 3 different scenarios that mostly happened after it was conceived. I thought it worked although I definitely did not like the affect that Rylance put on. I thought Perlman was brilliant in his scenes. Also the Blanchett/Perry pairing was brilliant. I really liked Perry in the more subdued role and while I recognized they were parodying modern television I wasn't quite sure who they were supposed to be. My only complaint was the runtime keeps it from being infinitely rewatchable despite some great performances and subtle gags.

Oh Arianna Grande's song was fun too. Almost Pop Star level. I enjoyed her considering as far as acting chops go I only know her extremely annoying Sam and Cat stuff.
The Rylance performance definitely started losing its luster after the fourth or fifth scene he was in, which probably led to my issues with the latter half or so of the movie (
from the scene where Rylance's character pitches them mining the comet onwards
), but I thought his first scene was one of the movie's funniest. Also his teeth were really disconcerting.

I think the Perry/Blanchett show was supposed to be a pastiche of Morning Joe on MSNBC but it almost had more of a Today Show vibe to it.

Warhawk

Staff member
Don't Look Up (Netflix) - a very timely satirical commentary (and fairly entertaining) - what Idiocracy should have been IMHO. It is a bit uneven and heavy-handed at times, but my goodness if it isn't spot on.

Thoroughly enjoyed don’t look up. Was down low terrifying lol
King Richard was excellent. Will Smith is sometimes hit or miss with the overacting, but he knocked it out of the park