what was the last movie you watched?

I did watch This is Spinal Tap last night. If you haven't seen this what's wrong with you? Anyhow.

The first time I saw this movie it was 1988, I was at a New Hampshire prep school for the year since I absolutely refused to go to Jesuit. Most folks know how that story ends. I was like one of 4 kids in a school of ~250 that liked anything harder than Led Zeppelin at the time. They screened this on a Saturday night in the school auditorium and I swear maybe 6 other kids were there and some walked out. I recognized a classic the moment I saw it and time would prove me right about this movie and Metallica being as big as Zep one day. Anywho, I introduced it to my brother during the parents and family weekend that followed soon after where we rented a VCR and some movies from the hotel outside Boston we stayed in. And I've watched at least a hundred times since. This is the first time since I started playing guitar again last year and so I guess I noticed things about the gear more than I typically do. Like what pickups were on what guitars and the specific vintage of Marshall amps.

But my favorite line still remains "What's wrong with being sexy?" That one probably throwaway just gets better with age for me.
good man

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just finished watching Green Book, thanks to a surprise free weekend from Showtime. The movie wasn't anything like what I expected...but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I needed something that shows the human spirit in a good light right now. I didn't realize it was a true story until the credits rolled. I've saved it on my DVR - I think I'll watch it again.

well yeah but I still wound up there. no regrets. If I had gone to a west coast boarding school I may have been able to survive 4 years. No shot in small town New Hampshire. Absolute fish out of water experience.
CB man myself . Class of 97’. Had a lot of friends at Jesuit, just didn’t have any desire to go there. When did you graduate?

Last edited:
Just finished watching Green Book, thanks to a surprise free weekend from Showtime. The movie wasn't anything like what I expected...but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I needed something that shows the human spirit in a good light right now. I didn't realize it was a true story until the credits rolled. I've saved it on my DVR - I think I'll watch it again.
For a minute I thought I read Green Mile and was very shocked / confused.

Ok...just watched these 2 movies today

Captive State......meh....interesting take on alien take over but overall meh....yes I watch lots of sci fi

The Commuter with Liam Neeson.....and this is typical Liam Neeson movies now. Not terribly deep, solve a mystery, his family is in trouble and lots of action. Yeah, I liked it. Amazing how many different ways they can use him in the same formula but with different settings

Ok...just watched these 2 movies today

Captive State......meh....interesting take on alien take over but overall meh....yes I watch lots of sci fi

The Commuter with Liam Neeson.....and this is typical Liam Neeson movies now. Not terribly deep, solve a mystery, his family is in trouble and lots of action. Yeah, I liked it. Amazing how many different ways they can use him in the same formula but with different settings
I’m a sucker for his movies. Enjoyed that one as well. Did you watch Cold Pursuit? Might check that out

After Contagion to kick off the week, we watched Outbreak last night. Lord what a stupid movie. It starts off pretty promising but goes full Hollywood pretty quick and culminates in dueling generals, one dead set on not-quite-nuking a town. On the bright side, it's all fluff, and not real genuine end of the world stuff like Contagion or hell even the Planet of the Apes reboot. But lord is it stupid.

But staring down the end of the world recommend kind of stupid.

After Contagion to kick off the week, we watched Outbreak last night. Lord what a stupid movie. It starts off pretty promising but goes full Hollywood pretty quick and culminates in dueling generals, one dead set on not-quite-nuking a town. On the bright side, it's all fluff, and not real genuine end of the world stuff like Contagion or hell even the Planet of the Apes reboot. But lord is it stupid.

But staring down the end of the world recommend kind of stupid.
The Planet of the Apes reboot was extremely good, especially the 3rd movie.

Watched The Sisters Brothers. Figured with John C Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix and Jake Gyllenhall it cant go wrong. Also has Riz Ahmed in it who was in Rogue One and an HBO short series that was very good called The Night Of

Thought the movie was good, not great but solid.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm catching up on a lot of movies I just never got around to watching since Showtime and TMC are now free. Just finished watching Winchester. That house has always intrigued me. When I was little my grandmother took me there. This was before they had restored a lot of it and brought back a lot of the furnishings. Even at a young age and without knowing the story of the house, it gave me goosebumps.

Queen and Slim

I didn't think this would be much of a movie when I saw the previews but it turned out to be a good one, love the actors and the roles they played. A Bonnie & Clyde type of movie without the bank robbery part.

We finally watched Parasite tonight. I really liked it. Was worthy of movie of the year but truth be told, I would have picked Joker or 1917. But that’s not to say anything bad about Parasite cause it was really worthy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Seven Pounds - I love Will Smith and I don't know how I missed this one. I'm finding out during this shelter-at-home time that I'm watching more movies that move me emotionally. Same for the music I'm listening to. Maybe I'm not the only one? Maybe this quiet time is a way for all of us to be a little more introspective for a change.

Watched Shutter Island the other day. An older movie with Leonardo DiCaprio And supporting cast including Michelle Williams. Thought it was solid.
So at the end of the movie during credits there is a song that plays. It’s by Max Richter who I learned does many of the classical pieces in movies and shows including The Leftovers. In this piece he adds the vocals from Dinah Washington on the song Bitter Fruit. It was so good I downloaded from iTunes. Very moving. And now I know who Max Richter is and who Dinah Washington is.

A Hidden Life

Enjoyed this movie very much, Austrian farmer who refuses to partake in the war of the Nazis and eventually gets executed. Based on true events.

Watched Shutter Island the other day. An older movie with Leonardo DiCaprio And supporting cast including Michelle Williams. Thought it was solid.
So at the end of the movie during credits there is a song that plays. It’s by Max Richter who I learned does many of the classical pieces in movies and shows including The Leftovers. In this piece he adds the vocals from Dinah Washington on the song Bitter Fruit. It was so good I downloaded from iTunes. Very moving. And now I know who Max Richter is and who Dinah Washington is.
This one's been on my shelf for years and I think still shrink wrapped. I don't know why, perhaps I will watch this weekend.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
12 Monkeys (was on TV, don't think I've seen it before - if I did it was around when it came out). Fun watching early Brad Pitt (and Bruce Willis) acting off his rocker but the movie was pretty dated and kinda "meh".