what was the last movie you watched?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Constantine - I picked up the DVD years ago and it sat unopened on my shelf. Decided to throw it in and watch it. When I opened up the packaging there was some kind of an offer that expired in 2005. Yeah, it's been sitting on the shelf for a while!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Dunkirk. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.. its incredible.
I'm sure it's a great movie, but for some reason I can rarely get interested in movies based on real events. I watch the trailers and say "that looks great", but I don't want to SEE them. I think a lot of it comes from watching some movies about real events and knowing all the "liberties" they take with them so the story isn't "real". Also, sometimes I read/watch the events when they happen and just have no interest in seeing a movie based on it.

Of course, there are exceptions, like Tombstone. But those seem to be few and far between.

Lion (Netflix) is fantastic. One of the best performances you'll ever see from a kid actor. It's beautifully shot too.

BTW I'm gonna be posting in this thread a lot, I'm a movie junkie.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
In the middle of Terminator 2 (coming to theaters later this year in 3D!), and checking out Atomic Blonde later today (taking my dad for his birthday).

Italian movie from 1975, Seven Beauties. Someone recommended I check out Lina Wertmuller and this was a great start. I particularly like the opening scene and the dialogue throughout.

1974 (not the Guy Ritchie remake!!)

This has gotta be my favorite relationship between a male and female lead in any movie. If you're a feminist this is definitely not the movie for you.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Mr. and Mrs. Smith - a guilty pleasure and a fun little movie. Ending is way too Hollywood (as are parts of the rest of the movie, generally to a lesser extent), but I still like it. I think Pitt and Jolie played well off each other in the film.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith - a guilty pleasure and a fun little movie. Ending is way too Hollywood (as are parts of the rest of the movie, generally to a lesser extent), but I still like it. I think Pitt and Jolie played well off each other in the film.
I like the fight scene in the mini-van with Air Supply playing.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I like the fight scene in the mini-van with Air Supply playing.
There are just so many little funny lines in that one.

John Smith: We have an unusual problem here, Jane. You obviously want me dead, and I'm less and less concerned for your well-being.

[both have discovered that they were on the desert and one tried to kill the other]
John Smith: I missed you.
Jane Smith: I missed you too.

Jane Smith: [driving a stolen minivan] My parents died when I was five. I'm an orphan.
John Smith: Who was that kind fellow who gave you away at our wedding?
Jane Smith: Paid actor.
John Smith: I said, I said I saw your dad on "Fantasy Island"!
John Smith: I can't believe I brought my real parents to our wedding.

Eddie: [in Eddie's kitchen] This broad is not your wife, she's the enemy.
John Smith: She tried to kill me.
Eddie: They all try to kill you. Slowly, painfully, cripplingly, and then wham. They hurt you. How you going to handle it?
John Smith: [holding an assault rifle, walking past the door] I'm going to borrow this.
Eddie: I like where your head's at, man.

I love tower theatre. More often than not if something is getting over 75% on rotten tomatoes I'm there. Today Lady Macbeth, with my 13 dollar combo drink/popcorn/butterfinger. The ghost movie was terrible though. Such ambience to that theatre, screams Sacramento at its heart

Detroit was decent, at least watchable. Girl Trip was good. I thought Dunkirk was ok, little more action and a little less character development than I thought

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
A movie set in Sacramento has now just set a rottentomatoes record with most amounts of reviews that are fresh (Lady Bird). I might see it this week
Saw it last weekend with my wife. We both thought it was a good movie. I don't think it is *quite* as good as some people say, but especially as Sacramento area residents I thought it resonated with us to a certain extent.

Saw it last weekend with my wife. We both thought it was a good movie. I don't think it is *quite* as good as some people say, but especially as Sacramento area residents I thought it resonated with us to a certain extent.
My wife and I saw 'Lady Bird' at the Tower Theater, and we thought it was absolutely wonderful. Having grown up in the Sacramento area during the time the film was set, I can say that it really nails the malaise of youth in a place devoid of the life that youth desperately wants to find. I just about died when the title character derisively refers to Sacramento as "the Midwest of California." I'm not sure that even John Hughes got this close to authentically capturing the teenage experience. It's a sincere, generous, and insightful film, and I'm on the hype train recommending it to everyone I see. The first-time director, Greta Gerwig, is a Sacramento-area native, to boot. She's acted in a number of Noah Baumbach's films, including 'Frances Ha,' another movie that I adore and enjoy recommending to others (it's currently on Netflix).

I just saw the new 'Star Wars' film last night with my wife. What a fascinatingly strange experience, considering the expectations one brings to a 'Star Wars' film. Rian Johnson was clearly determined to subvert the audience's understanding of what a 'Star Wars' movie should be, and while it was not by any stretch of the imagination a perfect film, I simply adored the ballsiness of it all.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I just saw the new 'Star Wars' film last night with my wife. What a fascinatingly strange experience, considering the expectations one brings to a 'Star Wars' film. Rian Johnson was clearly determined to subvert the audience's understanding of what a 'Star Wars' movie should be, and while it was not by any stretch of the imagination a perfect film, I simply adored the ballsiness of it all.
FYI, No spoilers below, just general comments.

I saw it Friday night as well and enjoyed it. I'm not sure exactly what understanding he was subverting that you are referring to - can you elaborate? It felt largely like a "typical' Star Wars movie to me.

There were some items that I was puzzled about, such as a spaceship having an explosion, etc., and no apparent loss of oxygen (inconsistent throughout the film, or at least not explained why that might be the case) and a character having a clear course of action and inexplicably delaying for quite a bit of time even though the delay was definitely not beneficial to their cause (and it was obvious to the character).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
FYI, No spoilers below, just general comments.

I saw it Friday night as well and enjoyed it. I'm not sure exactly what understanding he was subverting that you are referring to - can you elaborate? It felt largely like a "typical' Star Wars movie to me.

There were some items that I was puzzled about, such as a spaceship having an explosion, etc., and no apparent loss of oxygen (inconsistent throughout the film, or at least not explained why that might be the case) and a character having a clear course of action and inexplicably delaying for quite a bit of time even though the delay was definitely not beneficial to their cause (and it was obvious to the character).
If either one of you posts anything remotely resembling a spoiler before I get a chance to see this, I'm going to hunt you both down and hurt you severely.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I just saw the new 'Star Wars' film last night with my wife. What a fascinatingly strange experience, considering the expectations one brings to a 'Star Wars' film...
As someone who could best be described as a casual fan of the Star Wars franchise, what sort of expectations does one bring to a Star Wars film, exactly?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bring the bear with you. :p
Oh, there's a thought.

He's kind of unhappy right now. The bear-proof dumpster is not among his favorite things. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to understand he should be out in the forest foraging instead of pretending every night is Halloween and he's trick-or-treating. At some point, the old rule of the forest (Shoot, shovel and shut up) is gonna catch up to him, especially if he continues to tear chicken coops and other livestock areas apart looking for feed. The folks up here value their livestock and depend on it for THEIR food, not the bear's.