what was the last movie you watched?

FYI, No spoilers below, just general comments.

I saw it Friday night as well and enjoyed it. I'm not sure exactly what understanding he was subverting that you are referring to - can you elaborate? It felt largely like a "typical' Star Wars movie to me.

There were some items that I was puzzled about, such as a spaceship having an explosion, etc., and no apparent loss of oxygen (inconsistent throughout the film, or at least not explained why that might be the case) and a character having a clear course of action and inexplicably delaying for quite a bit of time even though the delay was definitely not beneficial to their cause (and it was obvious to the character).
I’m surprised anybody could walk away from that film and find it a “typical” Star Wars movie!! The Kurosawa-influenced imagery alone was worth the price of admission, and struck me as deeply unique to the Star Wars universe. But, in the interest of not spoiling anything for others (why don’t spoiler tags work on this forum, btw?), I’ll send you a PM later, when I have more time to expound on these thoughts.

As someone who could best be described as a casual fan of the Star Wars franchise, what sort of expectations does one bring to a Star Wars film, exactly?
As with my reply to Warhawk above, I will send you a PM later. In the interest of avoiding spoiler content, I’d rather not draw attention to the specific expectations that the film subverts in this thread.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
(why don’t spoiler tags work on this forum, btw?)
Spoiler tags haven't worked in literally years: Admin switched the board to software that either doesn't have them at all, or doesn't have them enabled as a default. If they can be enabled, it's not something that he can be arsed to deal with right now.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I’m surprised anybody could walk away from that film and find it a “typical” Star Wars movie!! The Kurosawa-influenced imagery alone was worth the price of admission, and struck me as deeply unique to the Star Wars universe. But, in the interest of not spoiling anything for others (why don’t spoiler tags work on this forum, btw?), I’ll send you a PM later, when I have more time to expound on these thoughts.
Sounds good, thanks.

To me it generally had the same Star Wars feel - the characters we know, space battles, light saber fights, good vs. evil, etc. I don't expect every movie to feel the same (like 4 and 5 were completely different) yet they keep the "feeling" of the Star Wars universe. That is much of what was missing in 1-3 for me, they were special effects laden flicks that lost some of the heart of the originals. I feel more of that in 7-8 and in Rogue One.

Spoiler tags haven't worked in literally years: Admin switched the board to software that either doesn't have them at all, or doesn't have them enabled as a default. If they can be enabled, it's not something that he can be arsed to deal with right now.
I can appreciate that. I just imagine that it would just smooth discussions along in this thread, as well as the TV thread.

Just watched Mother! by Darren Aronofsky.

Had to google the movie and find answers after the movie. Lordy, it was deep and trippy trying to keep up with the hidden meanings. After reading how Aronofsky was interpreting the scenes and characters in the film, it became much more clear. I liked it but can see why it didnt do well at the box office.

Watched Star Wars last night.

I am loving what they're doing with Rey's character. At first, I was a little worried that they would screw it up, primarily due to the fact that we now had a female character on our hands. But, I am actually really growing on her.

Watched Deepwater Horizon with the family last night. Worth a look if you enjoy watching "Disaster" films. It was about the 2010 "Deepwater Horizon" offshore drilling rig explosion and oil spill.

I just got Movie Pass but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I talked a friend into getting it with me (thought about getting one for the gal I'm sweet on but instead I picked a friend I know would last the year)...

We did watch Spider-Man Homecoming the other night, which I liked. And we are going to watch Wonder Woman which we somehow never saw either.

My son and I intended to see Star Wars on Christmas day but it was sold out (I still haven't seen it but should next week). So instead we saw Jumanji. I have to say I really enjoyed it, which is not that shocking considering I like all of the main cast. It was pretty nice to go to a movie that my son and I could both enjoy on equal levels. Explaining a boner joke to a 9 year old was less fun.

I just got Movie Pass but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I talked a friend into getting it with me (thought about getting one for the gal I'm sweet on but instead I picked a friend I know would last the year)...

We did watch Spider-Man Homecoming the other night, which I liked. And we are going to watch Wonder Woman which we somehow never saw either.

My son and I intended to see Star Wars on Christmas day but it was sold out (I still haven't seen it but should next week). So instead we saw Jumanji. I have to say I really enjoyed it, which is not that shocking considering I like all of the main cast. It was pretty nice to go to a movie that my son and I could both enjoy on equal levels. Explaining a boner joke to a 9 year old was less fun.
Don't lie. We all know you enjoyed that part of your day the most. :)

I went to watch "Black Panther" the other night. It was very good, not my favorite marvel film and perhaps not as good as all the hype it has received, but it is well worth going to see.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I've seen such positive reviews on social media. Personally I thought it was good, not great. Certainly not in my top 3 favourite marvel movies. Care to share what you found so amazing?
I didn't say it was amazing or even great, I said it was well done and got our thumbs up (2 thumbs per person, three people).

Not my favorite Marvel film by any means, but:

• Well acted and cast
  • Well developed characters
  • Good story
  • Wasn't too serious or trying too hard to be funny (looking at you, Thor: Ragnarok)
  • I liked the dedication to the ethnicity of the character and homeland - gave the movie a completely different "feel" than a lot of the more recent films (and as the first blockbuster superhero movie that features not only a 95%+ cast of non-white actors [that I am aware of, at least recently], including all the main actors [and the Sac State alum who was the director!], I can definitely appreciate what that brings to a large segment of the population as far as relatability to the film and pride in the movie and their accomplishments)
Indeed there were some minor plot holes, and some action scenes (especially the start of the movie) didn't hold up as well as some other films, but that's OK. And some weapons choices, etc., are a bit of a question. But I get why they did much of what they did, and just enjoyed the film for the spectacle and the message it sent. It was a good movie.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Did manage to catch Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as well. I'll just say that Frances McDormand is a treasure. My wife and I liked the movie a lot - good story and great acting. There was some excessive language (I'm no prude, but especially early in the movie it was just....not necessary, like they just kept adding it in where it really wasn't "natural") for some who may be sensitive to that kind of thing. But definitely a good movie.

Thanks to Movie Pass I will surely be seeing this. Kiddo wants to see it too but I think that is a hard nope.

Black Panther today.
Movie Pass is the best! I’ve been averaging 8-10 movies a month since I got it. A buddy of mine saw 20 movies last month with it. Not sure how it’s going to last long term at that price but I’m enjoying it while it lasts.

Black Panther was fun. I’m also looking forward to Death Wish, it was supposed to release last year but for some reason they held off for 2018.

Recent movies I’ve seen with Movie Pass:

Annihilation- not my style, interesting though
Black Panther- really enjoyed it, top 5 marvel movie for me
Winchester- ok, made me want to visit the actual house
Early Man- my daughter liked it, I might have napped
Darkest Hour- Fantastic
Den of Thieves- great action movie
Hostiles- great Western, slow at times but I enjoyed it
Downsizing- thought it was terrible
12 Strong- really liked it
Commuter- ok, not my favorite Liam Neeson film
Ferdinand- pretty good animated movie, kept my 3 year old entertained
CoCo- fantastic
Greatest Showman- loved the music
Three Billboards- well acted, dark comedy, enjoyed it
Shape of Water- I didn’t get it
Jumanji- fun
Molly’s Game- surprisingly good
Ladybird- very well done

Probably going to see 15:17 to Paris tonight even though I’ve been warned it wasn’t very good

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Movie Pass is the best! I’ve been averaging 8-10 movies a month since I got it. A buddy of mine saw 20 movies last month with it. Not sure how it’s going to last long term at that price but I’m enjoying it while it lasts.

Black Panther was fun. I’m also looking forward to Death Wish, it was supposed to release last year but for some reason they held off for 2018.

Recent movies I’ve seen with Movie Pass:

Black Panther- really enjoyed it, top 5 marvel movie for me
Winchester- ok, made me want to visit the actual house
Early Man- my daughter liked it, I might have napped
Darkest Hour- Fantastic
Den of Thieves- great action movie
Hostiles- great Western, slow at times but I enjoyed it
Downsizing- thought it was terrible
12 Strong- really liked it
Commuter- ok, not my favorite Liam Neeson film
Ferdinand- pretty good animated movie, kept my 3 year old entertained
CoCo- fantastic
Greatest Showman- loved the music
Three Billboards- well acted, dark comedy, enjoyed it
Shape of Water- I didn’t get it
Jumanji- fun
Molly’s Game- surprisingly good
Ladybird- very well done

Probably going to see 15:17 to Paris tonight even though I’ve been warned it wasn’t very good
If you've never seen the Winchester House, you really need to take a trip to San Jose. While you're there, you might want to check out the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum. :)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just saw this with my dad. Interesting premise. Visually stunning at times, especially towards the end of the movie. But:

"To a certain extent they were a bit schitzophrenic throughout the film. It was a hodgepodge of effects on the people and environment and you really never get answers. Just kind of a strange movie that seemed to have promise but never really went anywhere. And, ultimately, the ending was predictable."