what was the last movie you watched?

Upcoming movies I’m most excited about are: Killers of the Flower Moon, Astroid City, and Oppenheimer.
IDK if you've ever seen this documentary on Oppenheimer from 1981, The Day After Trinity, by Jon Else but this is one of my favorites and its free on youtube, lots of interviews with people who worked with him.

Watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) today. What a fun ride!

This is a visual masterpiece when it comes to animation. The comic book feel with gorgeous colors and stunning transitions is a feast for the eyes. The film takes the latest fad, the multiverse, and introduces a twist at the end. The screenplay is breezy with the right amount of comedy and pathos. The scenes of Miles Morales with his family really stand out and avoids the typical sappiness. When superhero movies tend to emphasize spectacle with emotionally distant wide angle shots, it is refreshing to see a film that stays intimate in its framing and celebrates family and friendship.

Who knew saving the multiverse and taking care of your family could become a Trolley Problem?

I liked that the pop culture references and easter eggs are done well. The spiderman pointing meme had me chuckling.

Word of warning: This is part one of a two part series and the film ends with a cliffhanger. Usually not a fan of two-parters but hoping the next one delivers some payoff.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Me and the lady are taking the Marvel plunge, in chronological order.

Watched Captain America and Iron Man … they were both fine. I wasn’t blown away, but we’re still building up to the major stuff.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Me and the lady are taking the Marvel plunge, in chronological order.

Watched Captain America and Iron Man … they were both fine. I wasn’t blown away, but we’re still building up to the major stuff.
The danger in you watching those movies this far after the fact is having your expectations tainted by what you've heard from other people about those movies. I can think of dozens of movies that I thought were overrated, and at least 20 percent of why can be attributed to people telling me for years how great they were.

... Plus, you don't like Kofi Kingston, so your tastes are immediately suspect. :p

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Watched True Lies with my son on a whim after finishing up FUBAR on Netflix last night. Still enjoyable, but definitely some overly "Hollywood" moments in there (and it makes me appreciate FUBAR a bit more after watching some of the most influential material to the show).

Warhawk

Staff member
Dad rented Renfield so we caught that tonight. Cast was good, Cage was his normal bit over the top self, and parts were kinda funny. Bloodier/bit gorier than I was expecting but it really wasn't all that "good". Watch it if the desire strikes you, but don't get your hopes up.

man I finally caught Meet the Fabelmans(2022) and I sure wish I'd seen it earlier. Thats probably the best movie I've seen so far this decade. Blown away.

It's actually so, so so excellent. Master craftsmanship from Speilberg. He hasnt made a movie nearly that good in decades, n there's actually such a great pace to the scenes n also so many excellent performances especially from Paul Dano and Michelle Williams.

That film will age well!

Watched The Flash yesterday on a whim. Fun little movie if you don't have too much expectations. The action and CGI are a bit clunky but the film has its heart in the right place and it's an easy watch. Yet another film that delves into the beaten-to-death multiverse concept but it allows for some cool cameos.
It was a nice surprise to see the Nicolas Cage Superman that never materialized.

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched The Flash yesterday on a whim. Fun little movie if you don't have too much expectations. The action and CGI are a bit clunky but the film has its heart in the right place and it's an easy watch. Yet another film that delves into the beaten-to-death multiverse concept but it allows for some cool cameos.
It was a nice surprise to see the Nicolas Cage Superman that never materialized.
I agree. I had no expectations going in, so it was fine. Not a great movie by any means, but the story wasn't bad and the cameos were defnitely fun.

The list of movies Sacramento’s own Greta Gerwig says inspired Barbie, and what she had the cast watch in “Movie Church” to prepare for their roles:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
The Red Shoes (1948)
The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)
Puberty Blues (1981)
Splash (1984)
The Truman Show (1998)

Given the theming, I’m surprised not to see Heathers and Ghost World on there. In other words, this thing is going to be menacingly tragic by the looks of it.

Add it to my must-watch list.

This is AMAZING, I'll never forget watching this! What a gem free on YT!!! blew me away! It covers so many great scenes n movies. incredibly loaded cast with too many titans in the entertainmant industry to list. Magnificent 11/10 must-see. Turn this on for a few minutes you'll wanna watch the whole thing! This is entertaining, crazy informative AND it's actually got nostalgia for all ages packed in since it covers the history of sound in film start to present day. No one section of it drags on for very long either, for something rediculously comprehensive like this, it keeps a brisk pace.

Few things in this had me in complete awe "holy crap"..

Last edited:
Love the novels, one of my fav sci-fi series growing up... and the first movie promised so much in the trailer but did not fully deliver. Well, I liked it cause of the novels, but others who had not read the novels didn't really get into it. It felt too rushed and not properly explained. The depiction of the landscape, buildings, ships and other gear, the sandworms was good... most of the characters were well cast too, except for Piter (looks too soft to be an assassin) and Kynes/Liet should not have been cast as a black woman (he was a man and leader of the Fremen, FFS!). Something that annoyed me a lot was the vocal they kept playing in the background. I guess it was a cover for not being able to tell the story fully or generate enough suspense through the dialogue or scene.

This is the vocal I mean.

Hoping for better in the next movies.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I didn't like DUNE part 1 very much either, but for completely different reasons. I thought the brutalist architecture style of the sets and the relatively uninspired casting choices emphasized the "otherworldly" elements of the story when a better approach would have been to ground everything in the cultures that Frank Herbert drew his inspiration from. There is a wealth of fan-created concept art online for the DUNE universe and a lot of it is more colorful and interesting than anything which ended up in Villeneuve's adaptation. Even the terrible David Lynch version is more visually imaginative.

I also disagree with his decision to tell half a story and then make us wait 2 years for the dramatic climax to arrive. In theory the "break it into 2 movies" approach isn't bad if you can engineer each movie to be dramatically effective on their own. Where he chose to split the story doesn't accomplish this though. It's all build-up with no resolution. I guess if you already know the story it might be viewed as a positive that he stretched everything out since you will eventually be able to watch both back to back but if that was the plan it should have been a mini-series not two movies. And his inability to tell a self-contained story in part 1 doesn't leave me confident that part 2 will be dramatically coherent on its own either.

Got the chance to watch Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One today. A fun addition to the MI franchise but falls short of its predecessor Mission: Impossible Fallout. The action set pieces are brilliant with the train sequence taking the cake. Tom Cruise is impressive as usual. Liked the new additions of Grace and Paris - both were impressive in their own way. The shapeless "Entity" and Gabriel were a bit of a letdown. There are so many ways to make an all-knowing AI menacing but the movie barely scratched the surface. Had issues with the lack of emotional impact that certain scenes demanded. Overall, a breezy movie that flows really well with good humor but lacks the gravitas and emotions.

1. Can't believe they did Ilsa dirty after developing that character in earlier movies. Now we have Grace as a poor replacement.
2. Am I only one or did the vehicle sounds not match the cars they used in the car chase?

Warhawk

Staff member
Watched Extraction II (Netflix) yesterday and I don't think it was as good as the first. Some of the stuff was getting way over the top. Also, I like how in these movies someone gets stabbed or shot and they are hurt and in the next scene they are running down the road or fighting a bad guy like nothing is wrong. :D

Anyways, I liked the actors and the roles, and if you turn your brain off a bit it's entertaining.

The Golden Coach(1954) directed by Jean Renoir, set to the music of Vivaldi. Truly a great film. Pretty sure Wes Anderson borrowed from this in his new one Asteroid City.

Last edited:
Burn After Reading, 2008.

Don't know why it is not more of a cult classic, lol.
I know this dude whos a personal trainer and a specacular moron/birdbrain just like the Brad Pitt character. Its uncanny n always puts the widest of smiles on my face.

Hard agree though. Definitely underrated.

I actually just got this book used on amazon called "This book really ties the films together" n its the coen brothers n has like 15 pages on each film, n lotta frames, n when i flip thru the book really fast, the images from Burn After Reading sure do make me laugh the hardest.

If your looking for another underrated Malkovich film from the 2000's I cant reccomend "Ripley's Game" (2002) enough, its like 100x better than the far more popular "The Talented Mr Ripley" starring Matt Damon n Jude Law, which looks more like a dockers/yachting ad than a movie. Matt Damon is totally unfit for the role of Tom Ripley compared to Malkovich. This movie I believe borders on "should be a cult classic" too, its just no one knows about this film it was the same distributor as Lord of the Rings, when LOTR was at its peak popularity, so this never released in theatres in the states, n it was sorta swept under the rug and forgotten, but its good, n the cream rises to the top, went from not released in theatres to Eberts great movie list, thats quite a leap! (The chick who played Cersei Lannister is the female lead in this too, n shes got dark hair).. the fact an old italian woman directed this movie is also rather amusing, i know im stereotyping but I just wouldnt think an older woman would direct something so violent.

Last edited:
).. the fact an old italian woman directed this movie is also rather amusing, i know im stereotyping but I just wouldnt think an older woman would direct something so violent.
I have to laugh, because that “old Italian woman” is Liliana Cavani who wrote and directed The Night Porter (1974) about sadomasochistic Nazis.

EDIT: Agree with you on Damon. He's built himself a rather stellar career playing the part of Matt Damon in every one of his movies.

Recently watched Air, which I generally enjoyed as something of a watered-down Moneyball (my issues with the overt idolization of Michael Jordan aside), and there was Matt Damon playing Sonny Vaccaro as ... Matt Damon. Don't get me wrong, he's an affable, charismatic leading man, but there are some parts (Tom Ripley) in which the Matt Damon persona simply doesn't work.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Got the chance to watch Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One today. A fun addition to the MI franchise but falls short of its predecessor Mission: Impossible Fallout. The action set pieces are brilliant with the train sequence taking the cake. Tom Cruise is impressive as usual. Liked the new additions of Grace and Paris - both were impressive in their own way. The shapeless "Entity" and Gabriel were a bit of a letdown. There are so many ways to make an all-knowing AI menacing but the movie barely scratched the surface. Had issues with the lack of emotional impact that certain scenes demanded. Overall, a breezy movie that flows really well with good humor but lacks the gravitas and emotions.

1. Can't believe they did Ilsa dirty after developing that character in earlier movies. Now we have Grace as a poor replacement.
2. Am I only one or did the vehicle sounds not match the cars they used in the car chase?
Watched Oppenheimer. I’m a big Christopher Nolan fan and he delivers once again. Good film, really good.
Agreed on both.
Oppenheimer’s first hour seems a bit long, but actually helps pay off in the end.

Agreed on both.
Oppenheimer’s first hour seems a bit long, but actually helps pay off in the end.
A good observation on the first hour of Oppenheimer. Was thinking the same as I watched, knowing there’s 2 more hours and was thinking I might be disappointed but by the end of the movie, I’m thinking the last half of the movie rolled.

Warhawk

Staff member
A good observation on the first hour of Oppenheimer. Was thinking the same as I watched, knowing there’s 2 more hours and was thinking I might be disappointed but by the end of the movie, I’m thinking the last half of the movie rolled.
I think it was just about 1 hour in when the direction of the movie turned more towards the bomb itself and I thought that was more "focused", but the first hour just really fed into the ending well.

Has anyone watched or know of anyone who has seen Barbie? I’ve heard it kind of gets deep
Not yet. My wife wants to go so I'm sure I'll see it at some point soon.