What should and what will the Kings do?

I don't want Barnes. No need to panic here. Try to get back into the first round this year if possible. We have cap space and expirings to make solid moves. Don't take on an overrated ball-stopper on a big contract (Barnes). I'd rather let this young team play out than go that route.

Kings should be smart. Not make a move for the sake of making a move. Try to address the long term needs without getting stupid. If you can address the need for now without sacrifying the future, that would be good too.

I am intrigued by Barnes for a particular role with us. In time I don't think he will be a top 3 option offensively on this team (in fact I am not sure he would be a top 3 option even now). If we are getting a slightly better version of Barnes from the Golden State days, then I am more than happy to sign up for that. Sure its a steep price to pay in terms of salary but you are getting an asset that would fit really well. He would not be as great a fit for the team as Porter but he would be a pretty good pick up for us. He is a 3/4 that would address the need and would certainly be a right age profile for the team. He also bring championship experience from his Golden State days. He would be the best option we would have at SF.

Now if we can get Barnes and Lin, all of a sudden that play off push becomes a lot more realistic without actually sacrificing the long term future of the team. Its the sort of smart move I would be looking to make unless I have a confirmation that I will be getting a big name (or a semi big name) SF via free agency. If you can convince me that Khris Middelton will sign with the Kings in the off-season, I am not taking on Barnes. We have never been a big free agent attraction and I don't think that will change any time soon. That means you have to draft and trade in players if you want to be relevant.
If I'm seeing it straight, Barnes deal ends after next season. So it in no way hampers signing the younglings.
I'm highly skeptical we will sign a SF better than him. He is far from perfect, but he is still a quality SF who most importantly CAN defend and also hit 3s and do other things offensively.
If Barnes is available, and that's a big IF, I'd be very happy to see him in a kings uniform next week.
Wonder what his cost would be.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't want Barnes. No need to panic here. Try to get back into the first round this year if possible. We have cap space and expirings to make solid moves. Don't take on an overrated ball-stopper on a big contract (Barnes). I'd rather let this young team play out than go that route.
Barnes wasn't a ball stopper when he was with the Warriors. Sometimes a player is playing the way he's being asked to play. I think the Mav's wanted Barnes to carry more of the scoring load than he did with the Warriors. All we would need is for him to go back to playing the same way he did for the Warriors. Barnes would be better than anyone we could draft with your draft pick, and he's better than anyone we have playing the SF position right now.

Barnes wasn't a ball stopper when he was with the Warriors. Sometimes a player is playing the way he's being asked to play. I think the Mav's wanted Barnes to carry more of the scoring load than he did with the Warriors. All we would need is for him to go back to playing the same way he did for the Warriors. Barnes would be better than anyone we could draft with your draft pick, and he's better than anyone we have playing the SF position right now.
I strongly disliked Barnes when he was with the Warriors too. He was not a good passer then and he's a black hole now. I'm not saying he totally sucks, he can score the ball. But he's overpaid and I think he's pretty one-dimensional. I'll give him a chance if we end up with him, of course, but I definitely won't be excited about having him. I don't think he really fits well into the style we're playing either. He might be better than anyone we'd draft, but a draft pick isn't going to cost 20mil+ per year either. Have to consider opportunity cost as well.

Actually, there's a number of reasons to stand pat. The Kings are in an enviable position, for a change. They have lots of young, interesting, dynamic talent on cost-controlled rookie deals and they have a clean cap sheet with space they can utilize in a variety of ways. Yet despite their youth, the team is way ahead-of-schedule in the win/loss column. If a trade materializes before Thursday that improves the team, then Vlade should pull the trigger. But if there is no trade that moves the needle in a meaningful way, then the Kings are likely better off being patient.

A team like the Lakers must win now. Neither Lebron James nor Father Time will wait. Their window is short. The Kings are winning already, but they have years ahead of them to build on whatever success they manage to achieve by the end of this season. Internal development alone is going to improve this young squad, and that should be a comfort to both the front office and to the fans should the trade deadline come and go without a noteworthy deal in Sacramento. Yes, the team's ability to rent out their cap space is an asset, but it shouldn't be used "just because."
When you can waive Randolph if you fail to make a move and potentially pick up a body that may actually play one minute this season, you do it if you are sitting on 11 million in cap post deadline.

Unless you're cheap.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
OK, I'll state the obvious, I don't want the Kings to make a deal just to make a deal. OK, now that that's out of the way, I think it will be a waste if they don't find a way to turn that 11 mil in capspace into a player that can help the team. We're the only team with capspace, and yeah, we could just sit tight and wait till the offseason, but then a whole bunch of teams will have capspace, and the leverage we have now, will be gone. So I have a list of players that I would like the Kings to pursue, and I'll leave the details up to the Kings.

1. Otto Porter: If the owner is telling the truth, then he's not available. But if he's just trying to up the offer, the Kings are in the best position to acquire him.
2. Harrison Barnes: Despite seemingly being in the NBA for an eternity, he's still young, (26) has championship experience, and fills our need perfectly.
3. Terrence Ross: He can play multiple positions. He's a good defender and is shooting around 37% from the three. He is on an expiring contract, so he can probably be had at a reasonable price. I'd put him in the Rodney Hood price range.
4. Taurean Prince: Young player with potential who could be our long term answer at SF. He has another year before he enters his option year. Not sure what the Hawks would want for him.
5. Nikola Vucevic: An all star in the Eastern Conference. Not sure the Magic want to part with him, but he is an unrestricted freeagent at years end, so a decision has to be coming. He can score, rebound, and is a very good passer.
6. Jeremy Lin: He's not high on my list, but I'd be willing to take him as part of a deal for Prince. Hell, I'll take Dedmon off their hands as well. Lin is a very good locker room guy and a solid backup PG. He is 30 years old, so he wouldn't be a long term acquisition.
7. Enes Kanter: Last on my wish list, but he could help the Kings with rebounding and low post scoring. I think his defensive liabilities have been a bit exaggerated, but he certainly won't lock anyone down.

If the Knick's can't move Jordan, I'd like to see if we can get him for expiring salary and one second. Something like Randolph, Kosta, one of our seconds in 2019-2021. We have 9 the next 3 years, think we could afford to lose one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I strongly disliked Barnes when he was with the Warriors too. He was not a good passer then and he's a black hole now. I'm not saying he totally sucks, he can score the ball. But he's overpaid and I think he's pretty one-dimensional. I'll give him a chance if we end up with him, of course, but I definitely won't be excited about having him. I don't think he really fits well into the style we're playing either. He might be better than anyone we'd draft, but a draft pick isn't going to cost 20mil+ per year either. Have to consider opportunity cost as well.
I find it interesting that you don't think he fits into our style of play, when the Warriors play almost the same style, and he was just fine when he was on that team. If you want to look for a black hole on the Kings starting lineup, it's Shumpert, and the bulk of his shots are 3 pointers. Shumpert doesn't even average 1 free throw attempt per game. It's something like .04 attempts per game. Barnes averages over 4 attempts per game. With the Warriors Barnes averaged around 3.5 three pt attempts per game. With Dallas he's averaging 7 attempts per game. He wouldn't be taking that many shots unless he had the green light.

Even is you want to believe he's a black hole, which I don't, then he's at least an efficient one. I agree that passing isn't his strength, and wasn't with the Warriors either, mainly because most of his shots, like Klay Thompson, were assisted, not because he refused to pass the ball. All passes don't end up being assists. Point being, he's not a terrible passer, just not someone that's going to create for others. He will move the ball though.

I realize that he has an option for next season, but I would be shocked if he didn't opt in. I can't imagine him walking away from 25 mil. Look, we would have a chance to see how he fits into our system, and if it doesn't work, then we part company after next season, or we try to move him at the trade deadline. But if he does fit well, he's still young enough to resign for the future. It's a gamble to some extent, but not a huge gamble because we can get out of it after next year.

All this depends of course on what the price of acquiring him would be.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the trade deadline will come and go with us possibly making a minor move if any move at all. I don't see us moving Willie.
If you apply some logic, the Kings have worked hard to put themselves into this position. To do nothing of substance would be the most unlikely result. It's possible, but I'll be shocked if the Kings don't make a significant move of some kind.

I think it will be a waste if they don't find a way to turn that 11 mil in capspace into a player that can help the team. We're the only team with capspace, and yeah, we could just sit tight and wait till the offseason, but then a whole bunch of teams will have capspace, and the leverage we have now, will be gone.
This is it in a nutshell. We have an opportunity. You do not waste opportunities when you possess an advantage like we do now, an advantage which will be moot by the time the summer rolls around.

If you apply some logic, the Kings have worked hard to put themselves into this position. To do nothing of substance would be the most unlikely result. It's possible, but I'll be shocked if the Kings don't make a significant move of some kind.
Yes i would be strongly disappointed and would argue that there really is no method to the madness

Couple of interesting articles on Harrison Barnes (and also Wes Matthews and DeAndre Jordan)....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doyler...n-despite-being-paid-like-stars/#7b5c24f20c6b

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2019/...a-duo-its-wesley-matthews-and-harrison-barnes

Statistically Barnes is a black-hole on offense as presented in the second article with stats. Barnes averages 5.5 drives to the basket per game and only passes it on 17.9% of those drives. Worst percentage on the Mavs and one of the worst in the league. Hence the reason his assists numbers are pathetic. In a league where "draw and kick" is such a big part of the game, Barnes only does the first part of that equation.

I don't know if he's gotten worse since he went to the Mavericks or if he's just been exposed and not reached his potential.......but either way Barnes just isn't a very good player and he's massively overpaid. I'd much rather have Otto Porter because Porter will play within the offense and keep the ball moving while also being a better defender, rebounder, and finisher on the break.

I'd be shocked if Vlade traded for Barnes. Yeah he is a better player than Shumpert/Jackson but I just don't see Barnes being a great fit. He's not terrible and he wouldn't be the worst fit in the world but if he's not a "great fit" then why make the move?

If the Knick's can't move Jordan, I'd like to see if we can get him for expiring salary and one second. Something like Randolph, Kosta, one of our seconds in 2019-2021. We have 9 the next 3 years, think we could afford to lose one.
That’s what I’m looking at, for sure. I’d do Gasol but they are intent on not taking salary past this season it seems.

But then I’ve been done with WCS since Obama was in office. If they still think there is a sliver that he’s in long term plans I guess they wouldn’t go that route

But Jordan would clean up s lot of the rebounding/rim protection issues

That’s what I’m looking at, for sure. I’d do Gasol but they are intent on not taking salary past this season it seems.

But then I’ve been done with WCS since Obama was in office. If they still think there is a sliver that he’s in long term plans I guess they wouldn’t go that route

But Jordan would clean up s lot of the rebounding/rim protection issues
I think this would be the priority, hypothetically.

Call the Knicks and say we are trying other things first, don't waive him.

Try to use Randolph et all to get Porter, Barnes or something like that first.

If that fails and the Knicks still have him, then make that trade.

As far as WCS goes, it wouldn't matter to me if we wanted to keep him long term or not to make this move. We sit Jordan and let the young fellas play if we are going to miss out for the playoffs, or we push right now with everything we got.

But I'd hate to see WCS leave for nothing, or us overpay him. Don't want to give him away either. That's a hard choice for me.

Jordan is really not good these days. He hasn't been for a couple of seasons now. While his rebounding would help, defensively he is a liability these days.

I need all you guys to tweet @nbatv how horrible this announcers only thing is. I know most of you can still see local. Do me a favor on this so maybe in the future they will stop
What the hell is this thing? I had this on my youtubetv so I'm watching it but it is awful.

I was going to post this in the NBA forum but I think it is relevant here.

This is a hoopshype article speaking anonymously with agents. It is a lengthy read but it gives a lot of insight. Many things we assumed are confirmed as well as a few things you would hope aren't true are also confirmed. Definitely worth the read.

Here are a few excerpts of the many very interesting bits of information.

Agent 6: “Just like some agents will try to create draft promises, there are things that agents try to do around the deadline. They’ll hold a guy out because of an injury, but there’s not really an injury. Or if a guy is injured, you may have him stay out longer and get a strategic second opinion because if he’s not out there playing right before the trade deadline, teams may be wary and not want to deal for him. There are a lot of things agents will try.”

Agent 7: “Agents will leak BS stories and BS information to push for a trade or in an effort to derail a trade, which is definitely an issue for teams.”

Agent 6: “There are three kind of stories: There are stories floated out by teams, stories floated out by agents and stories floated out there by reporters who just want to put it out there for clicks. The ones that are basically just trade ideas for clicks are frustrating because there may be no substance to the story and it affects the people involved. People forget that there’s a human element here. These players have wives, girlfriends, kids in school. A lot of people read the rumors and believe them, so that’s where you’re causing someone to panic or you’re causing tension. You could affect the player’s performance. It’s one thing if it came from a legitimate source like a team or an agent. The stories I really don’t like are the ones that someone just floats out there and they weren’t able to confirm it with more than one person, but they make it sound like it’s something that could happen in the very near future. You can usually tell those apart [from the credible stories] since it doesn’t match what the teams are saying or make much sense based on everything else you’re hearing, but they’re still frustrating.”

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/03/nb...391c&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter