What are you reading?

I resurrected this thread because I've been reading a lot between semesters:

What I'm reading right now:

The Red Badge of Courage
The Scarlet Letter
His Dark Materials (the Phillip Pullman trilogy)
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I tend to jump back and forth between novels, it's like I have literary ADD.

I also just finished Ender's Game (in no small part due to Jesphers movie thread) - It was very good. It's a teen novel, aimed at young boys, but should appeal to those of you interested in war / strategy / greatness thrust upon youth stories.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I also just finished Ender's Game (in no small part due to Jesphers movie thread) - It was very good. It's a teen novel, aimed at young boys, but should appeal to those of you interested in war / strategy / greatness thrust upon youth stories.
My wife just picked up "A War of Gifts" and "Ender in Exile" for me. :D

Recently read "The Doomsday Key" by James Rollins and "First Meetings in Ender's Universe". Currently reading "Tales from the Perilous Realm" by Tolkien.

Also waiting to be read right now are:

Pirate Latitudes by Crichton
The Lost Symbol by Brown
A Brief History of Time by Hawking
The Winds of Dune by Herbert/Anderson

haven't had much time to read recently, just freeing some time up now.

I've just about finished reading "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner. Really funny and thought-provoking. Who would have guessed that Icelanders are one of the happiest bunchs on the planet?

I have a huge stack of books I'm hoping to get through over break, but I'm breaking away from academic reading first by unwinding with a collection of what a certain KF poster refers to as "picture books."

Preacher

Strongly recommend them to other picture book fans who aren't easily offended by naughty words or illustrated boobies.

Who has read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones ?

Is it really worthy of being considered the finest work of fantasy science fiction ever? That's what I keep hearing.

Who has read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones ?

Is it really worthy of being considered the finest work of fantasy science fiction ever? That's what I keep hearing.
It's my favorite series and I'd highly recommend it. It's not the traditional fantasy series with lots of wizards and goblins. It's more politically and character driven. Very adult stuff but just tremendous characters. I've recommended it to quite a few friends including some that despise fantasy and they've all loved it. And with the pilot produced already and being considered for hbo you can get an early start before all the buzz.

Nathaniel Philbrick - In The HEART of the SEA: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex.

Factual historical recount of the ship / crew / wreck that inspired Moby Dick.

Nathaniel Philbrick is a great historian and deft story teller. He draws you in with the story of a young man preparing to go aboard the Essex in Nantucket, and generously heaps in interesting historical facts about the time, places, and happenings at sea (all from first hand accounts of the crew.)

Get the large print version - easy to read and still only +/- 300 pages long.

Edit: It's actually over 300 pages, but it doesn't feel like it.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Haydon - Rhapsody: Child of Blood

If you like any of the fantasy / romance / mystery / time traveling / not for kids angles, then you will like the Symphony of Ages series. Rhapsody is the first book, and it is one of my favorite books of all time. Quite possibly #1, in fact. Haydon poured her sweat and blood into the series and it shows. The details are meticulous, the storyline does not falter, and the love story is excellent. It is a longish series though, and after the fourth book you will probably wait a couple of years to pick up the fifth (that's what I did). The whole series is awesome. The first three books are the best, and they actually maintain a continuous high level of quality. Some say they get better as they go along. I say #1 will blow you away, #2 and #3 are just bonus imagination candy.

The best part: I was completely invested in the story within a half hour's worth of reading. It usually takes a few chapters.

Last edited:
Jules Verne - 20,000 leagues under the sea

Different from what I imagined it would be. It's science heavy. Really, really heavy. If you are into marine biology and nautical exploration, give it a shot. Interesting literary study moments in there as well. I.e. Nemo is latin for nothing or no one, and there's a "This is what it would be like to be trapped by a Byronic hero in an underwater museum" thing going on. I liked it, but if you read it I suggest you have a book of marine biology and an atlas ready.

Last edited:
Just re-read "The Lovely Bones." Trying to decide if I want to see the movie. I find that re-reading books, I may or may not like it as much the second time. I think this was best at first reading, but that's a personal reaction.

It is a very heavy book. Ultimately, it has as much of a hopeful ending as you could hope for, keeping in mind that this family's 14-year-old daughter was brutally, sexually attacked and murdered. A chilling bad guy. Makes you want to lock up your kids.

"The Lovely Bones" is fiction, but I think I want to read her book "Lucky: A Memoir," which is about her own brutal rape in college and the effect on her and those around her. Obviously more tough reading, but sadly it happens all the time, all over the world.

I just started "Infidel," a true story. By Ayaan Hirsi Ali, born in Somalia in 1969. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
I recently finished the Earth's Children series, this included Clan of the Cave Bear. I had stayed away from them as they were "historical" fiction. I now wonder why it took me so long to read them. Very well written. I'm currently rereading the Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun. Light reading and good reading but occasional weak endings.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well since ryanandty guilted me in the 'no topic' thread after my book post...
;)

I just read Requiem for a Dream over the past weekend...

Im not to much of a reader, and the only reason I read it was because I heard the movie was 'sad' and honestly...The name of the book is just awesome. Caught my eye.

Well, the word sad doesn't describe the book. It's hard to discuss anything without giving spoilers... The book is a really good read, but after you're done you'll realize what a downer the book is...
And I want to read it again at some point.

I think my next book is going to be 'No Country for Old Men'

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Jules Verne - 20,000 leagues under the sea

Different from what I imagined it would be. It's science heavy. Really, really heavy. If you are into marine biology and nautical exploration, give it a shot. Interesting literary study moments in there as well. I.e. Nemo is latin for nothing or no one, and there's a "This is what it would be like to be trapped by a Byronic hero in an underwater museum" thing going on. I liked it, but if you read it I suggest you have a book of marine biology and an atlas ready.

I read this a couple times as a kid for school book reports (loved this book). I actually read it again as a young adult and took a copy of a world map and traced the route! :D

A twofer:

Plato - The Republic

If there's such a thing as a book designed to kill you (simply by reading it), this is it. The Republic warrants a read because of it's historical significance. It is a book of philosophy, and you won't fully appreciate it if you're not a) a lawyer, or b) a philosopher. I wanted so badly to light it on fire when some of it was assigned in my philosophy courses. But I bought the full version and set out to expand my brain in the most hurtful way besides. I sometimes go 50 pages, set it down for the night, then grab a cold one. I've been working on it for about 2 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Moore / Dave Gibbons - Watchmen

Crazy. Crazy, crazy, crazy. Fanboys will get no sort of post that will do justice to this lovely gem. If you made the horrible mistake of watching the movie before reading the book (I forgive you), erase what you saw and get this anyway. The movie was pretty thorough with it's image recreation, but this is not a piece of art that translates well to the cinema. Some things are just meant to be read. The ending is different, the characters are all developed way better than they are in the movie, and there's a brutal secondary storyline involving a black freighter. Awesome.

Last edited:
David Fisher - Legally Correct Fairy Tales

This here is nuts. He strips fairy tales down to court cases. Jack and Jill becomes: Jack (Doe) and Jill (Doe) v. Imperial Bucket Corporation. An outright nerdtastic lawyerfest. Hilarious. Especially for you guys and gals that run about lawyering. :)

Last edited:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I finally caved...and it was worth it. I have gone through the series this past week, and I'm 300 pages away from finding out how it all ends. I will not report back until I do so. Do not ruin it for me - or I will hit you with a Cruciatus curse.
:mad:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton and "A War of Gifts" by Orson Scott Card. Next up - maybe "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
David Fisher - Legally Correct Fairy Tales

This here is nuts. He strips fairy tales down to court cases. Jack and Jill becomes: Jack (Doe) and Jill (Doe) v. Imperial Bucket Corporation. An outright nerdtastic lawyerfest. Hilarious. Especially for you guys and gals that run about lawyering. :)

Just bought this book because of your recommendation. It's in the book queue somewhere now.... ;)

SLAB

Hall of Famer

No Country For Old Men.

Another book that was a bit of a downer.

Now Im on Hell House, which I had never heard of until I saw it on the shelf with a little sign saying 'From Acclaimed Horror Writer..." A group of four are ghost hunting in a haunted house. Nothing 'scary' yet, though.

All four books mentioned above are now in the queue. Hope you like the fairy tales Warhawk.

I am entering my bibliophile phase and, oh! It's expensive. I now have a tiny collection of 11 leather bound, 22kt gold gilded, silk and cream papered Easton Press and Franklin Library books. You can opt to purchase entire collections from www.eastonpressbooks.com (which usually runs you about $40 - 60 per book / month), or you can grow your collection organically - like me. With rare exceptions for absolute necessities such as Le Morte D'Arthur and The Once and Future King I don't spend more than $30 per volume. I am currently reading through Tales of Guy De Maupassant. Strange dude, good stuff.

My wife thinks it's ridiculous, but she asked for it when she started buying Coach purses! ;)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton and "A War of Gifts" by Orson Scott Card. Next up - maybe "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown?
Yep, "The Lost Symbol" was next, and I am just about finished with it. Good read, keeps you turning the pages. Very entertaining. Not sure what I will start next yet, but I still have a few more pages until I am done with this one.

Hamlet.

First time ever having read Hamlet (I know, right?). Totally freakin' crazy. What I thought would be a heavy story full of depression and mind numbing language turned out to be just that - but in the best possible way. We follow the young prince of Denmark - Hamlet - as he descends into madness after his uncle murders his father. Splitting at the seems with familiar imagery and famous phrasology, I was shocked to read a recognizable phrase in every scene. Everyone should read this. Everyone. Math people, psych people, gym people, young, old, lame, everyone.
It is burned into the social consciousness, you should at least be familiar with it.

Read it with this:

Bought this on a whim and it turned out to be absolutely indispensable. Not only is it useful to people who study Shakespeare, but to those who are fascinated with language as well.

Am I a nerd? Yes.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Another Selby book.
Don't know much about it other than it is a harsh read and was once banned in Italy.

The first Selby book I read, (Requiem For A Dream) I loved, so Im hoping Selby scores again.

Hamlet.

First time ever having read Hamlet (I know, right?). Totally freakin' crazy. What I thought would be a heavy story full of depression and mind numbing language turned out to be just that - but in the best possible way. We follow the young prince of Denmark - Hamlet - as he descends into madness after his uncle murders his father. Splitting at the seems with familiar imagery and famous phrasology, I was shocked to read a recognizable phrase in every scene. Everyone should read this. Everyone. Math people, psych people, gym people, young, old, lame, everyone.
It is burned into the social consciousness, you should at least be familiar with it.

Am I a nerd? Yes.
You make me want to go read it again. :D I love Shakerspeare, but haven't read anything by him in a long time. Also, there are some plays I've never read. Should just read them all. Thanks for the info on the reference.

Thanks for the info on the reference.

Why, de nada.

Anyone here ever read Bring the Jubilee, by Ward Moore? It's an alternative history sci-fi book that details a world where the south wins the civil war (American civil war). I am seriously thinking of buying it. I buy Expensive hardbacks primarily, however, so I do not want to waste 20+ bucks.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Im almost done with Last Exit to Brooklyn, and my goodness...
After reading Requiem, and the first 5 of the 6 shorts in Last Exit, Hubert Selby Jr does a great job of..

1: Giving you a good character.
2: Having character fall on tough times.
3: Building character back up, albiet with their fatal flaw helping them up.
4: Have character come crashing back down in devastating/disturbing fashion ending the story.

I plan on reading Selby's 'The Room' next, but the man himself said the book is so disturbing it took him 20 years to read it again after writing it.
:eek:

It's gonna be intense.

Last edited: