What are you listening to?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Presumed first album drop. The Velvet Queen with shades of Fever and Amy Winehouse.

After Year #1375 of losing basketball, you guys need this song's message anyway:

Oh you know a lot of bitterness
There is nothing to do about it
Life should be
Life should be
Lived with hope

Oh you know a lot of bitterness
There is nothing to do about it
Don’t give up
Don’t give up
Cause it’s right in front of your eyes

Seventh heaven on my shoulders falls heavy
Sometimes I feel all my dreams are slowly fading
I see myself in the mirror I wanna love the person looking back at me

Sometimes I wanna be powerful, gotta find the strength within me
Sometimes you look for miracle but there’s nothing in you
Sometimes you have to let go and get lost in the moment
Sometimes you wanna be careless and let go of sadness

Sometimes I feel all my dreams are slowly fading
I see myself in the mirror I wanna love the person looking back at me

Seventh heaven oh oh oh
Seventh heaven oh oh oh
Seventh heaven oh oh oh
Seventh heaven

Oh you know a lot of bitterness there is nothing to do about it
Life should be
LIfe should be
Lived with hope

Last edited:
Hum were a significant 90's band within alternative metal/post-hardcore circles. They kind of bridged the gaps between fellow noisemakers like Failure and the "midwest emo" scene of contemporaries like Mineral and Sunny Day Real Estate (neither of whom were actually from the midwest, funnily enough).

Last year Hum surprise-released their first new album since 1998. It's titled Inlet, and it was among my favorite records of 2020. It's been in heavy rotation for me recently. There's just something oddly romantic about the way they marry the pummeling, monolithic squall of their guitar sound with quieter, more introspective and genuinely pretty moments that practically twinkle in a way that suggests inner lives spent pondering the night sky. It's obvious why other luminaries of loud/quiet dynamics like Deftones and Nothing were so influenced by Hum.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Hum were a significant 90's band within alternative metal/post-hardcore circles. They kind of bridged the gaps between fellow noisemakers like Failure and the "midwest emo" scene of contemporaries like Mineral and Sunny Day Real Estate (neither of whom were actually from the midwest, funnily enough).

Last year Hum surprise-released their first new album since 1998. It's titled Inlet, and it was among my favorite records of 2020. It's been in heavy rotation for me recently. There's just something oddly romantic about the way they marry the pummeling, monolithic squall of their guitar sound with quieter, more introspective and genuinely pretty moments that practically twinkle in a way that suggests inner lives spent pondering the night sky. It's obvious why other luminaries of loud/quiet dynamics like Deftones and Nothing were so influenced by Hum.

Oh wow, Hum is back? That's cool! Their You'd Prefer an Astronaut album is pretty much my reference manual for how to record guitars. :)

Entire genres of music have to be left out because of the language rule. This topic really only pertains to a selective few genres of music that are only relevant to certain demographics of people--mostly centered around age. Wish I could share some good music. Oh well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Entire genres of music have to be left out because of the language rule. This topic really only pertains to a selective few genres of music that are only relevant to certain demographics of people--mostly centered around age. Wish I could share some good music. Oh well.
you don't have to post videos with offensive language. you can always make a list and people can decide for themselves if they want to go and have a listen.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
No, it doesn't. You can list just about anything (unless the group/track/album names violate board rules), and similarly post links to anything that doesn't violate board rules. Just because what you are listening to violates board rules regarding language (or whatever) doesn't mean the genres are excluded.

My baby girl is six months old today.

When we brought her home, in what feels like years ago, she was still this tiny creature who mostly slept or cried. I wondered what I could do with her to connect, nurture her brain growth, and honestly just breakup the monotony of the feed-burp-change cycle.

Movies were out to avoid her screen exposure. She would only tolerate being read to for a couple minutes at a time. So I turned to something I’d ignorantly shunned for much of my life.

Music.

I’ve been playing her music in the mornings during our daddy-daughter bonding time, while her mom gets some much needed sleep. But for my own sanity, I skipped the kids bops and nursery rhymes (no Baby Shark for me), and dove straight into a more advance music appreciation course.

Here are my daughter’s first 21 albums she’s gotten through in full at least twice.

2799A7D1-0B75-468E-853A-061311D7403D.jpeg

Why 21?

Well, I initially planned to mark out the milestone when my baby girl reached an even 20. But then my wife got involved in the selection process. I noticed her favorites were a little over-represented as compared to my own. So I sneaked in an extra one of mine. For fairness.

Top row are some of my personal favorites. Middle row are my wife’s choices. Bottom row are ones we thought were culturally and historically important (as well as being awesome).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
My baby girl is six months old today.

When we brought her home, in what feels like years ago, she was still this tiny creature who mostly slept or cried. I wondered what I could do with her to connect, nurture her brain growth, and honestly just breakup the monotony of the feed-burp-change cycle.

Movies were out to avoid her screen exposure. She would only tolerate being read to for a couple minutes at a time. So I turned to something I’d ignorantly shunned for much of my life.

Music.

I’ve been playing her music in the mornings during our daddy-daughter bonding time, while her mom gets some much needed sleep. But for my own sanity, I skipped the kids bops and nursery rhymes (no Baby Shark for me), and dove straight into a more advance music appreciation course.

Here are my daughter’s first 21 albums she’s gotten through in full at least twice.

View attachment 10670

Why 21?

Well, I initially planned to mark out the milestone when my baby girl reached an even 20. But then my wife got involved in the selection process. I noticed her favorites were a little over-represented as compared to my own. So I sneaked in an extra one of mine. For fairness.

Top row are some of my personal favorites. Middle row are my wife’s choices. Bottom row are ones we thought were culturally and historically important (as well as being awesome).
you should get some Will Sessions in there "Elmatic Instrumentals", Jinsang "Solitude", Vanilla "Origin", J Dilla and some Illmatic

the last concert I went to which was over 2 years ago was Iron Maiden and 60 year old Bruce Dickinson killed. I would think an event like this they'd have a backing track to help the singer out and you could see him fidgeting with his in ears.

I have tickets to see X in December, looking like I will go 27 months between concerts. that's crazy.
Stole this quote from the Jazz game thread, but seems relevant here.

Saw the Stones in LA last Sunday. 78-year-old Jagger was doing wind sprints across stage as the Stones absolutely rocked SoFi Stadium’s translucent roof off.

Stole this quote from the Jazz game thread, but seems relevant here.

Saw the Stones in LA last Sunday. 78-year-old Jagger was doing wind sprints across stage as the Stones absolutely rocked SoFi Stadium’s translucent roof off.
I was saying pre-pandemic I needed to see them while they were around and of course Charlie dies before that's possible. I didn't grow to appreciate Keith until a little later, Charlie was the first guy I thought was "cool" in the Stones.

Been regressing back to high school, Suicidal Tendencies, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Primus, Faith No More.

Was supposed to see Willie last weekend. Hopefully I can make the reschedule.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I guess concerts count as what we are "listening to", right? I've got a couple coming up soon: the Go-Go's in Las Vegas and Erasure in SF. Always liked both back in the 80's and just have never made it to see them before so what the heck. Then the big one with the Stadium Tour later this year. :)

The Go-Go's concert in Vegas got postponed from New Year's day to mid-February - the impetus for that one was a combination New Year's Vegas fireworks and seeing the Go-Go's in concert (before omicron, back when delta was winding down a bit and we thought we might be getting safer for concerts, etc.). I like some of their stuff (Beauty and the Beat, of course) and since they just got into the Rock and Roll HOF it seemed like a good time to catch them, but probably wouldn't have gone to Vegas just for the concert alone (none of the four of us going are "Las Vegas" people, if you catch my drift). Oh, well - should still be fun and a lot less idiots out and about while we are there in February instead of New Year's Eve/day.

I've been a fan of Erasure throughout the 80's and into the early 90's but don't really know any of their most recent stuff. Starting with Oh L'Amour and carrying through The Innocents / Wild / Crackers International days (and even some stuff after, including a couple of the ABBA remakes) I really enjoyed their musical vibe and energy in pop music.

In September is the big one I'm waiting for - the rescheduled Stadium Tour from 2 years ago - Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Joan Jett, and Poison. I'm REALLY looking forward to that one.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In September is the big one I'm waiting for - the rescheduled Stadium Tour from 2 years ago - Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Joan Jett, and Poison.
I've meant to mention this before and forgotten, but every single time I drive through the town you live in the randomizer on my car stereo is playing a Def Leppard song. Every. Single. Time. I don't even have that much Def Leppard, it's well under 1% of my library. So I think my randomizer likes you.

For my circum-Xmas trip, it was "Sorrow Is A Woman" on the way south and "Two Steps Behind" northbound.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I've meant to mention this before and forgotten, but every single time I drive through the town you live in the randomizer on my car stereo is playing a Def Leppard song. Every. Single. Time. I don't even have that much Def Leppard, it's well under 1% of my library. So I think my randomizer likes you.

For my circum-Xmas trip, it was "Sorrow Is A Woman" on the way south and "Two Steps Behind" northbound.
That's funny. :D

Actually, while I'm "normally" excited to see them again, I've seen them 7 times over 3 decades (1992, 1993, 2006, 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019). I'm looking forward to adding #8 and another decade to that list. But I'm just about as excited to see the other 3 groups listed because I haven't seen any of them in concert before. Yes, they are getting old and likely won't be as good as they used to be, but it will still be cool to catch all of them at once!

My baby girl is now one year old, and we've added another 20 albums to her catalogue.

Yes, I know I went to all the trouble trademarking "Next 19" but turns out 19 is a prime number and doesn't lend itself so nicely to a symmetrical collage.

Sienna's Next 19* Albums.jpg A few notes:

- Added some of my post-millennium, 90s rock, hip hop, and classic rock favorites

- While only Illmatic made the cut from the seven suggestions I received here, those did convince me to up the hip hop game considerably. And she's heard parts of Midnight Marauders and Stankonia during car rides with mom.

- Sgt. Peppers, Beyonce, Pearl Jam, and Miles Davis were my wife's only requests this round. For the latter, I chose Kind of Blue over Bitches Brew because it seemed like a better starting point, and it includes John Coltrane.

- Radiohead, Nirvana, The Beatles, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only groups with two albums represented in the now 41 total. Though the last one is a bit of an outlier as I would have chosen BSSM over Californication in the first round, but happy wife ...

- Remain in Light, The Velvet Underground & Nico, and To Pimp a Butterfly were first time listens for me as well.

- Speaking of TPaB, wrestled with quite the parental dilemma including it, given its stylistically grim adult themes and overtly explicit language. Felt at times it was the equivalent of sitting down with her to watch Requiem for a Dream or The Wire. Spoke with a few other parents and we reasoned she doesn't understand the words anyway, but would still be introduced to an immensely creative mix of genres that really can't be found on any other project. Ironically, I was further convinced of its "appropriateness" when I took a test listen with my wife who quickly said "I'm not so sure about this one" only to swap it out for Tupac's All Eyez on Me, which I suppose seemed fine to her because she grew up with it. Decided if I was OK with the overt sexual tones of BSSM and Version 2.0, and the dark content of The Velvet Underground & Nico and Ten, then I could roll the dice on an album widely considered to be among the best of the past decade. If Kendrick is good enough for the Super Bowl halftime show, he's good enough for my baby girl.

I'm certain child protective services will agree with me.

Attachments

Last edited:
While we haven't reached a specific milestone on the calendar, the helpless infant that used to nestle contently in my arms as I played her legendary albums has transformed into a Tasmanian devil of a toddler. She doesn't exactly listen to music with me anymore, as much as she sprints from room to room wreaking havoc to a soundtrack.

As such, time to bring this project to a close. Posting the nine albums we got through during my spring break, which brings the total to an even 50, and allows me to create a Mega Man select screen style collage.

1651037779543.png

Particularly proud of Master of Puppets taking the Metal Man slot.

SJW Final 9.jpg

Thanks to @macadocious for suggesting OutKast (and @kingsboi for Illmatic previously).

My wife's last and only pick this round was Rumours, and damn if that's not a behemoth of an album I'd totally slept on. No less than 6 of the 11 songs are "killer app" type tracks.

Rosalía's Los Ángeles was the final entry, narrowly beating out Selena's Dreaming of You as a celebration of my little girl's Spanish-speaking heritage.

Not that she paid much attention either way while ripping the curtains off the wall.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
While we haven't reached a specific milestone on the calendar, the helpless infant that used to nestle contently in my arms as I played her legendary albums has transformed into a Tasmanian devil of a toddler. She doesn't exactly listen to music with me anymore, as much as she sprints from room to room wreaking havoc to a soundtrack.

As such, time to bring this project to a close. Posting the nine albums we got through during my spring break, which brings the total to an even 50, and allows me to create a Mega Man select screen style collage.

View attachment 11039

Thanks to @macadocious for suggesting OutKast (and @kingsboi for Illmatic previously).

My wife's last and only pick this round was Rumours, and damn if that's not a behemoth of an album I'd totally slept on. No less than 6 of the 11 songs are "killer app" type tracks.

Rosalía's Los Ángeles was the final entry, narrowly beating out Selena's Dreaming of You as a celebration of my little girl's Spanish-speaking heritage.

Not that she paid much attention either way while ripping the curtains off the wall.
This is the first I'm hearing of this project of yours, and I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome and both you and your wife have great taste! Good luck with the turbulent toddler years! I would encourage you to keep the music playing even if it seems like nothing could possibly compete with the cheap thrill of tearing curtains off the walls. I soaked up a lot of great music from my parents all throughout my childhood and it's particularly cool now how listening to those albums still conjures up very specific memories of faces, and rooms, and road trips long past.

Cheers! :D

View attachment 11039

I spy Loveless. This is a good thing you are doing!

I spy Loveless. This is a good thing you are doing!
I owe most of my musical awareness to our album drafts here, and all of my appreciation for Loveless specifically to you.

You explained it to me in said drafts, and connected me to Cocteau Twins - Treasure, which not coincidentally is in the running for future collages as well.