What are you listening to right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
padrino- props for hot hot heat. good band

anyone notice that the south is finally getting recognized in the hip hop industry? it seem Houston, Atlanta and Louisiana in particular are really blowing up, though there has always been an underground market and following of southern rap. Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Slim Thug and others seem to be profiting from this. being from Texas its good to see that it is being released and followed at a higher level, though I enjoy all kinds of hip hop and rap in general.

Last edited:
atxrocker said:

anyone notice that the south is finally getting recognized in the hip hop industry? it seem Houston, Atlanta and Louisiana in particular are really blowing up, though there has always been an underground market and following of southern rap. Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Slim Thug and others seem to be profiting from this. being from Texas its good to see that it is being released and followed at a higher level, though I enjoy all kinds of hip hop and rap in general.
I heard Mike Jones isn't well loved in Houston. Is this true, and if so, why is that?

atxrocker said:

The 3rd coast. I'm totally feeling what Texas is doing right now...I really love Paul Wall...love him

I'm King--PSC-TI, Lil Scrappy

linzeesan said:
I heard Mike Jones isn't well loved in Houston. Is this true, and if so, why is that?
linzeesan- it is true to a certain extent and not really to another. Mike Jones does have an audience in Houston, I know this because I have seen a show he did there few months back, but there is also another group of people who do not like him for whatever reason.. I know his well-known beef with the chamillionaire (chamillion) has caused some fans to side with one over the other, many choosing the rawer, grittier chamillion over the now more commercial Mike Jones. The mixed tape massiah answers alot of questions people got to call Mike Jones out , you should listen to it.There are really some brutal things said about him on it. I really believe some feel he is selling out by becoming something of a household name and despise him for that. Can’t really blame the man for capitalizing on opportunities though. There is definetely some southern rap wars starting to develop out here. By the way, love your avatar.

Last edited:
iheartBrad said:
The 3rd coast. I'm totally feeling what Texas is doing right now...I really love Paul Wall...love him

I'm King--PSC-TI, Lil Scrappy
yeah, Paul Wall has really gained some momentum as of late. I remember years ago a friend of mine from Houston telling me about him and playing one of his cds. Lil Flip, Z-ro and others are also making a big scene as well. Interesting to see just how big this thing will get.

F

Fillmoe

atxrocker said:
yeah, Paul Wall has really gained some momentum as of late. I remember years ago a friend of mine from Houston telling me about him and playing one of his cds. Lil Flip, Z-ro and others are also making a big scene as well. Interesting to see just how big this thing will get.
what yall know about the boy K Rino?

right now im listening to Keak Da Sneak- Super Hyphy

"im in the buildin and im feelin like yeeeeeee/ r-i-p to the mac d-r-e"

right now im really feelin the bravery, got the cd a while back and really enjoy it. An honest mistake is cool. Also surprisingly like the catchy new cake song 'the guitar man' . 'little sister' by the queens of the stone age and though its been out for quite a while hot fuss by the killers (especially mr brightside) are some of my favorites. the gorillaz new outing is creative and interesting as well, as was their last.

I put on the soundtrack to The Matrix because I hadn't listened to it in a while.

When Rammstein's "Du Hast" started up, some sort of Pavlovian response kicked in and I thought I was missing the start of a game. Freaked me out.

atxrocker said:
linzeesan- it is true to a certain extent and not really to another. Mike Jones does have an audience in Houston, I know this because I have seen a show he did there few months back, but there is also another group of people who do not like him for whatever reason.. I know his well-known beef with the chamillionaire (chamillion) has caused some fans to side with one over the other, many choosing the rawer, grittier chamillion over the now more commercial Mike Jones. The mixed tape massiah answers alot of questions people got to call Mike Jones out , you should listen to it.There are really some brutal things said about him on it. I really believe some feel he is selling out by becoming something of a household name and despise him for that. Can’t really blame the man for capitalizing on opportunities though. There is definetely some southern rap wars starting to develop out here. By the way, love your avatar.
Thanks for answering me. I think I will listen to some mix tapes now. I'm not really a fan of Lil' Flip's but I'm really feeling Paul Wall and MIke Jones. I don't know why people get upset about a rapper getting national recognition and going "commercial." I think what they're really upset about is the rapper being succesful while others are not. As long as Mike Jones doesn't forget where he comes from and stays humble then he'll be alright. BTW, I love my avatar too.:D

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
"I Can't Turn You Loose" - Otis Redding

I bought the box set without knowing that the fourth disc was a collection of live recordings. Subsequently, I've played that CD more than the three others combined.

T

thesanityannex

linzeesan said:
Thanks for answering me. I think I will listen to some mix tapes now. I'm not really a fan of Lil' Flip's but I'm really feeling Paul Wall and MIke Jones. I don't know why people get upset about a rapper getting national recognition and going "commercial." I think what they're really upset about is the rapper being succesful while others are not. As long as Mike Jones doesn't forget where he comes from and stays humble then he'll be alright. BTW, I love my avatar too.:D
My gripe with Mike Jones (who am I Mike Jones, whats my name, Mike Jones, who, Mike Jones) is not his commercialization, its his god awful elementary lyrics.

Gargamel said:
I love you.

I'm dubbing a Lakers/Bullets game from 97 onto a DVD at the same time. Multi-tasking. I'm realizing that I have about 300 games on tape. Anyone have a obsessive SactoKings recording problem?
I love you too gargy and I'm back, ready for some good music, got anything for me?

U2 beautiful day (cos it is even if it's raining)

Status
Not open for further replies.