What’s your Mock?

He had all the signs of doing that on offense but he didn't show any signs in college of being able to hold it down defensively. Coach K had to implement a zone defense, largely because of Bagley. Thinking he would become an average defender was a pipe dream from the start, considering he showed zero signs of ever being able to do it.

I can get on board with hoping a player can develop a shot in the future because that happens fairly often but hoping that defense comes out of thin air is a losing proposition most of the time and I wouldn't draft a player if that was an improvement that needed to be made in order to be a good NBA player.
I remember his defensive deficiencies, but thought they were overblown. Team defense is 95% focus and effort. Thought that could be learned.

The part of his game that I wasn’t aware of and am shocked that he hasn’t approved a lick is defending with his right hand. In terms of blocks, steals, guarding, shading, and positioning. Since he’s been a King, I think he’s only had one right handed block. Like his wingspan was already average to begin with. I wasn’t expecting average divided by 2.

I agree. I'm always about taking the BPA but even if some people think he is the BPA at 9, there's a lot of people that think a bunch of other players are as well. That's one good thing about the draft being deep. You don't have to choose between an ill fitting BPA and a low ceiling roleplayer that fits. Lots of options.
Every draft has a consensus up to a certain pick. This draft appears to be 5 deep consensus wise. If one of those 5 drop then there is a BPA, if not, this draft is up to interpretation depending on where you are at and considering the mocks we've seen, it varies GREATLY.

It remains to be seen. If Moody, Johnson and Wagner are Mikal Bridges we aren’t a lock for a championship either. Sengun has dominated the third best league in the world. Dominated. I like his chances of reaching his ceiling over the other guys. And again, I’m no expert, just my personal opinion.
That is currently like an entirely different universe compared to the type of ball we see in the NBA now. The small ball, gimmick craze has only gotten worse in these playoffs. Like I wouldn't be suprised if all the top teams commit to playing guys like LeBron, Durant, PG13, etc. at center a bunch kind of bad.

At 9 I don't think there are any players that are a lock to make this team better based on talent. Some could more than others but this is the wrong draft to expect that with where the Kings are currently picking. They can fill a huge hole and potentially decide on multiple options rather than simply taking what's there at the position they need filled.

I remember his defensive deficiencies, but thought they were overblown. Team defense is 95% focus and effort. Thought that could be learned.

The part of his game that I wasn’t aware of and am shocked that he hasn’t approved a lick is defending with his right hand. In terms of blocks, steals, guarding, shading, and positioning. Since he’s been a King, I think he’s only had one right handed block. Like his wingspan was already average to begin with. I wasn’t expecting average divided by 2.
What kind of team defense is the main issue though and team defense took a major hit recently. Teams with really good to GREAT team defense got exposed for a lack of switchability and footspeed. My goodness, did you not see what happened to the Jazz people? It would be really nice to see the NBA step in and let the game be a little more physical but all they seem to be looking at is guys leaning in on shots, ha ha, yay!

What kind of team defense is the main issue though and team defense took a major hit recently. Teams with really good to GREAT team defense got exposed for a lack of switchability and footspeed. My goodness, did you not see what happened to the Jazz people? It would be really nice to see the NBA step in and let the game be a little more physical but all they seem to be looking at is guys leaning in on shots, ha ha, yay!
Mahmoud Abdul Rauf would thrive in today’s nba.

Sengun playing against Greece right now. Watching him he has a great feel for the game but definitely lacking in athleticism. Really limited vert and looks to be more 6’9” than 6’11”.

Sengun playing against Greece right now. Watching him he has a great feel for the game but definitely lacking in athleticism. Really limited vert and looks to be more 6’9” than 6’11”.
He played ok in limited minutes, second most efficient player on his team with 12 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assist. There was also I play saw posted on twitter saying that he looks like he's stuck on mud on a defensive play. Sengun has a bad habit of trying to jump a play/lunge at a defender, which is exactly what happened in that play. He lunged forward and the offensive player attacked him while his body/hips were twisted in the opposite direction.

Sengun has a surprising vertical, he can actually get up when he fully gathers, his north-south speed is pretty good while also having a good handle for his size, but obviously he is not the quickest laterally. Could the lateral quickness be a problem? Maybe, but he's not hopeless on defense, he has bad habits he needs to work on that will help his perimeter defense.

I liken him to an Al Horford more than a Sabonis. Sengun and Horford have roughly the same measurements coming into the league and just watching them both play they are similar athletically. Horford doesn't blow you away athletically, he is just really fundamentally sound on defense along with being able to read, react, and recover quickly. Sengun averaged 2.1 blocks, and 1.7 steals per 36, so he has the ability to read and react on defense fairly well, and he isn't bad at post defense outside of biting too much on pump fakes. So he does have potential on defense, and has statistically shown it. He has proven to be an extremly hard worker, and he has said in an interview that he knows he has to work on his defense, so it's really up to him if he can figure it out.

He needs a team that will give him a few years to develop and a big chunk of their offense in a half court system.

He needs a team that will give him a few years to develop and a big chunk of their offense in a half court system.
Orlando would be an awesome fit I think. Plant him next to Isaac/WCJ (two excellent defenders that can rim protect), but aren't that great of initiators on offense. Kuminga/Isaac/Sengun in theory could be amazing together on both ends. Sengun covers the rebounding, Kuminga/Isaac as the wing/forward rim protection. If they wanted to get super super spicy, draft Barnes and create the most dynamic 3/4 defensive pairing in the NBA while developing Sengun as your initiator on offense.

Would have loved to see Toronto too, but probably not at 4. OG/Siakam/Sengun would be another fit I think he could thrive in.

I think of the guys we think are going to be available, I'm going with Moody and then Johnson is he's not available.

If neither are available then I'm going to be wishing the Kings would have just traded the pick.

Having followed basketball as long as I have this draft is one of the strangest ever. So little consensus of what players where. Assuming no trades what is your mock draft up to and including the Kings pick.

Detroit - Cade Cunningham
Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Jonathan Kuminga
Oklahoma City - Scottie Barnes
Golden State - Franz Wagner
Orlando - Moses Moody
Sacramento - Jalen Johnson
okay based on what I have been reading I am updating my mock:
Detroit - Cade Cunningham
Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Scottie Barnes
Oklahoma City - James Bouknight
Golden State - Jonathan Kuminga. Trade
Orlando - Moses Moody
Sacramento - Franz Wagner

Yeah I don’t buy their reasoning at all. B
De'Aaron Fox. We all love him. So does most of the rest of the league. He could bring back a bonanza. Course, if you trade him, now you need his replacement.

Well, as it happens, the more I've read and video I've watched the more I think Davion M may very well be the best, highest-floor player available at #9. He's plug and play and promises to be an *upgrade* on DFox in terms of defense and 3-pt shooting, which is big.

That gives you:

1-Mitchell
2-Haliburton
3-Barnes

With TONS of trade capital in Fox, Buddy, Bags, possibly HB, possibly Holmes to bring back hi-quality front court pieces (Simmons? Harris? Siakam? Gafford?) and depth.

It would hurt my heart to break up the Fox/Haliburton backcourt. But this is the kind of combination move that could pay major dividends for a long time.

Last edited:
Orlando would be an awesome fit I think. Plant him next to Isaac/WCJ (two excellent defenders that can rim protect), but aren't that great of initiators on offense. Kuminga/Isaac/Sengun in theory could be amazing together on both ends. Sengun covers the rebounding, Kuminga/Isaac as the wing/forward rim protection. If they wanted to get super super spicy, draft Barnes and create the most dynamic 3/4 defensive pairing in the NBA while developing Sengun as your initiator on offense.

Would have loved to see Toronto too, but probably not at 4. OG/Siakam/Sengun would be another fit I think he could thrive in.
The problem is they can’t shoot 3’s though it’s possible Sengun could

De'Aaron Fox. We all love him. So does most of the rest of the league. He could bring back a bonanza. Course, if you trade him, now you need his replacement.

Well, as fit happens, the more I've read and video I've watched the more I think Davion M may very well be the best, highest-floor player available at #9. He's plug and play and promises to be an *upgrade* on DFox in terms of defense and 3-pt shooting, which is big.

That gives you:

1-Mitchell
2-Haliburton
3-Barnes

With TONS of trade capital in Fox, Buddy, Bags, possibly HB, possibly Holmes to bring back hi-quality front court pieces (Simmons? Harris? Siakam? Gafford?) and depth.

It would hurt my heart to break up the Fox/Haliburton backcourt. But this is the kind of combination move that could pay major dividends for a long time.
I think their is a slim and none chance we trade Fox.

Well, as fit happens, the more I've read and video I've watched the more I think Davion M may very well be the best, highest-floor player available at #9. He's plug and play and promises to be an *upgrade* on DFox in terms of defense and 3-pt shooting, which is big.

That gives you:

1-Mitchell
2-Haliburton
3-Barnes

You’re essentially describing a full rebuild of the Kings’ roster. That likely would set the timetable for attempted contention back several seasons. Nobody will really know what they have in Mitchell until he plays at the NBA level for a time. Personally, I think his ceiling is probably as a back-up PG.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yea, I saw that on Realgm. Not surprised that the GM, who seems to love him is Presti. The same dude who picked Russ and Harden higher than most projected.

I think Presti is, by far, the best GM in the league.
You know, I looked up Sam Presti and his record on basketball reference. Just curious. You mention Russ and Harden. Between those picks and Durant and now where he’s acquiring the boatload of picks. There is an overwhelming amount of selections and trades that are just not very good. If I was playing devils advocate to your statement saying he is the best GM in the league, I’d say even though he made the OKC team with KD and company, he also was the GM that couldn’t keep them together and in fact lost KD. But there is a boatload of bad picks and trades.

Some of the threads of these deals are still playing out going back to the trade of Ibaka to get Oladipo, Ilyasova and Sabonis, then dealing Sabonis and Oladipo to get George and then dealing George and starting the acquisition of draft picks like no other GM.

If a GM was based solely on acquiring picks, well he’s done well. But if he doesn’t hit on these picks or turn them into a playoff team that wins, then he failed. Not sure he’s the best right now but maybe he pulls this off

You know, I looked up Sam Presti and his record on basketball reference. Just curious. You mention Russ and Harden. Between those picks and Durant and now where he’s acquiring the boatload of picks. There is an overwhelming amount of selections and trades that are just not very good. If I was playing devils advocate to your statement saying he is the best GM in the league, I’d say even though he made the OKC team with KD and company, he also was the GM that couldn’t keep them together and in fact lost KD. But there is a boatload of bad picks and trades.

Some of the threads of these deals are still playing out going back to the trade of Ibaka to get Oladipo, Ilyasova and Sabonis, then dealing Sabonis and Oladipo to get George and then dealing George and starting the acquisition of draft picks like no other GM.

If a GM was based solely on acquiring picks, well he’s done well. But if he doesn’t hit on these picks or turn them into a playoff team that wins, then he failed. Not sure he’s the best right now but maybe he pulls this off
No GM hits them all. Just Russ, Harden and Durant is a career for some

This is kinda like blaming Jimmer on Petrie. Ownership made him break that team up over $$$

Went through a bunch of iterations, each with a shot at winning it all (Durant to Russ to Harden to George to SGA while renting CP3 and Horford for draft picks), and consistently finding gems like Dort.

No GM hits them all, but think a GM, who consistently puts his/her team in position to compete for the championship and rebuilds while acquiring assets is a very high level GM. Like the best in the league right now.

You’re essentially describing a full rebuild of the Kings’ roster. That likely would set the timetable for attempted contention back several seasons. Nobody will really know what they have in Mitchell until he plays at the NBA level for a time. Personally, I think his ceiling is probably as a back-up PG.
And you enter back into the gamble game of will you ever acquire someone with the same upside and proven ability as Fox? Is Mitchell that? Likely not.

Look at situation as well, Lillard is 31, that's about the time you probably want to start looking elsewhere so him moving on one way or the other makes sense. Fox is 23 and I'm guessing still wants to stay. You don't F with that kind of thing as long as it's sailing.

Went through a bunch of iterations, each with a shot at winning it all (Durant to Russ to Harden to George to SGA while renting CP3 and Horford for draft picks), and consistently finding gems like Dort.

No GM hits them all, but think a GM, who consistently puts his/her team in position to compete for the championship and rebuilds while acquiring assets is a very high level GM. Like the best in the league right now.
I'd say he's certainly the most commitment oriented for whatever is needed at the time which is good. The Kings are a perfect example of a team trying to have their fingers in all pies at the same time which better at least come with some playoff basketball. Not this.

Davion Mitchell would complete the guard rotation and erase having to stagger Fox and Hali. Im still looking at the wings abd bigs so im not too sold on that, but I like the player.