2021 NBA Draft Superthread

Who do you think the Kings end up drafting in tonight?

• Wagner

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Sengun

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Moody

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Johnson

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Kuminga

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • They’ll end up trading the pick.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm not running numbers or doing any kind of analysis but Buddy, Bagley and Barnes for their last two years of picks and Wiggins stupid deal.

We'd get insanely younger and have two years to figure out if we can win with Fox or trade him while he still has value while basically taking on a bunch of unknowns, that at least theoretically give us some size. We'd probably also suck for another year or two but hopefully in a fun to watch way that at least gives hope the way 2018-2019 did. Warriors get Barnes who we know works, another elite shooter and a flyer on Bagley who they could at least re-sign and move later a lot easier than the other disappointments they've been in similar positions with. And maybe it's enough to re-open their 3 year window, especially if Klay is limited to under 25 mins a night.

Not sure what else would be needed either way to get it done but now that we know who the players are its a little easier to sort it all out.
The Warriors entire thing at this point is their ardent belief that Klay Thompson will not only be able to come back from two career-ending leg injuries in a row but will also be just as good as he was two seasons ago when he still had functional ligaments in his knee and Achilles. At the same time, while they've been loudly declaring their desire for win now players and pieces, they've picked the rawest prospect in each of the last two drafts and reportedly refused to trade Jordan Poole so who knows what it is they're actually trying to do.

Also if we want Moody (which it seems we don't) we should explore trades with the Warriors that could balance the roster out but folks will scream bloody murder that we traded with an in-state rival even if it 3-4 years down the road we wind up the better team for it.
I care not an ounce about dealing with a divisional or in-state rival if it genuinely improves the Kings' long-term prospects, especially not while we're far away from realistically contending with any of our in-state rivals in the playoffs. The Kings-Lakers rivalry was twenty years ago. If it had been a decade of hard-fought battles between the two teams, then maybe it would be easier for me to still give a sh*t about that "rivalry." But it was just a few contentious years in the early 2000's, and the Kings haven't been relevant since then. That's not to say that I have any love for the Lakers in 2021. I absolutely do not. But I also wouldn't be opposed to dealing with them if the trade terms were of benefit to the Kings. I don't think Kuzma/Harrell/22 would have been a good value trade for Hield, but if the right trade actually existed that worked for both teams, I'd be all for it.

The Warriors are an even easier sell to me as a trading partner. They've never been a true rival of ours, and I'd love it if the Kings approached them with an offer that's worthy of snagging Moody. Scottie Barnes was at the top of my wish list, but the Kings simply did not do themselves the long-term favor of losing enough games last season to put themselves in a position to draft Barnes. I wouldn't say that I was quite as high on Moody as our resident prospect-expert Bajaden was, but he was still #2 on my wish list for his plug-and-playability. Wagner was #3 on my list for the same reason. Then Jalen Johnson and Kuminga and Ziaire, all of whom are riskier bets/projects. I thought it was an absolute gift that Moody was available at #9, and it bummed me out that the Kings passed on who I consider to be a perfect fit (who is, in my opinion at least as worthy of the "BPA" designation as Mitchell was at #9).

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The Warriors entire thing at this point is their ardent belief that Klay Thompson will not only be able to come back from two career-ending leg injuries in a row but will also be just as good as he was two seasons ago when he still had functional ligaments in his knee and Achilles. At the same time, while they've been loudly declaring their desire for win now players and pieces, they've picked the rawest prospect in each of the last two drafts and reportedly refused to trade Jordan Poole so who knows what it is they're actually trying to do.
Yeah their optimism for Klay is really sweet but you have to wonder how far grounded in reality they are being.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I care not an ounce about dealing with a divisional or in-state rival if it genuinely improves the Kings' long-term prospects, especially not while we're far away from realistically contending with any of our in-state rivals in the playoffs. The Kings-Lakers rivalry was twenty years ago. If it had been a decade of hard-fought battles between the two teams, then maybe it would be easier for me to still give a sh*t about that "rivalry." But it was just a few contentious years in the early 2000's, and the Kings haven't been relevant since then. That's not to say that I have any love for the Lakers in 2021. I absolutely do not. But I also wouldn't be opposed to dealing with them if the trade terms were of benefit to the Kings. I don't think Kuzma/Harrell/22 would have been a good value trade for Hield, but if the right trade actually existed that worked for both teams, I'd be all for it.

The Warriors are an even easier sell to me as a trading partner. They've never been a true rival of ours, and I'd love it if the Kings approached them with an offer that's worthy of snagging Moody. Scottie Barnes was at the top of my wish list, but the Kings simply did not do themselves the long-term favor of losing enough games last season to put themselves in a position to draft Barnes. I wouldn't say that I was quite as high on Moody as our resident prospect-expert Bajaden was, but he was still #2 on my wish list for his plug-and-playability. Wagner was #3 on my list for the same reason. Then Jalen Johnson and Kuminga and Ziaire, all of whom are riskier bets/projects. I thought it was an absolute gift that Moody was available at #9, and it bummed me out that the Kings passed on who I consider to be a perfect fit (who is, in my opinion at least as worthy of the "BPA" designation as Mitchell was at #9).
Even if we had lost enough games, I'm not quite sure if there wouldn't have been a riot if we had selected Barnes at the 4 or whatever.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Yup. We suck, I don't care how we get better. Also I'm in the not-hating the Warriors camp, but I know this issue may be different for long time season ticket holders or locals who feel bandwagon Kings fans became bandwagon Warriors fans. I don't feel that up in Portland.

Even if we had lost enough games, I'm not quite sure if there wouldn't have been a riot if we had selected Barnes at the 4 or whatever.
Im not sure we would have got to 4 though if we had we could have probably traded 4 for 6. More likely we would have been at 7 deciding between Wagner and Kuminga. There might still have been a riot.

our best hope is we suck, Vivek accepts the record is his no matter what and GoldenState struggles with their young players. Perhaps we trade Barnes for Kuminga at the trade deadline.

Yup. We suck, I don't care how we get better. Also I'm in the not-hating the Warriors camp, but I know this issue may be different for long time season ticket holders or locals who feel bandwagon Kings fans became bandwagon Warriors fans. I don't feel that up in Portland.
In Portland you have options: Blazers, Timber’s.

For us in Sacramento we don’t. The Kings suck. We had and lost a MLS team. Hell we don’t even have an FBS football team. Sacramento might be the worst sports fan market in the country.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

For us in Sacramento we don’t. The Kings suck. We had and lost a MLS team. Hell we don’t even have an FBS football team. Sacramento might be the worst sports fan market in the country.
For years all we had was a USL team and people went just like you have in Sac. If Sacramento had gotten in before 2014 with the USL they could have beat all the cities that decided soccer was hip that year. That said Sacramento is very deserving of a team and will get one eventually. The buy in during the pandemic when MLS is definitely struggling relative to other sports leagues is insane. MLS is a ponzi scheme. I would say enjoy the Republic as is, join the TBB and have a ton of fun in a non MLS environment for as long as it last. MLS sucks.

Was curious about this, and I guess I already have read this but it bears repeating, Sacramento is in fact the largest media market in the country (#20 over all) with only a single team in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, or MLS.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Let me just reiterate though that the best part about soccer in US is the matchday experience and you have that in Sacramento. And it's not compromised by MLS.

Yes MLS gets some USA players and euro stars on the retirement circuit and occasionally some B-tier South American talent but a good USL team can also get a lot of the latter. Quality of play is lower but MLS isn't special. It's the supporter culture and the matchday experience. GO NOW if you don't already. There are always tickets available, you don't get locked into the sold out season ticket trap that MLS will bring where you either go to Wednesday night games in 100 degree July nights or a miserable early Sunday game for TV or you eat the ticket cost. You can pick and choose and food and drink are cheaper. Do it!

It's an odd market. There are so many alumni for Sac State and none willing to invest their time and money to make their programs take off. There is no doubt the city would be all in on a successful FBS program. Looking for the reward without putting in the work. Kinda like the Kings organization trying to get in the playoffs, but unwilling to sacrifice the time, money or control necessary to make it happen.

I digress

Let me just reiterate though that the best part about soccer in US is the matchday experience and you have that in Sacramento. And it's not compromised by MLS.

Yes MLS gets some USA players and euro stars on the retirement circuit and occasionally some B-tier South American talent but a good USL team can also get a lot of the latter. Quality of play is lower but MLS isn't special. It's the supporter culture and the matchday experience. GO NOW if you don't already. There are always tickets available, you don't get locked into the sold out season ticket trap that MLS will bring where you either go to Wednesday night games in 100 degree July nights or a miserable early Sunday game for TV or you eat the ticket cost. You can pick and choose and food and drink are cheaper. Do it!
we have AAA baseball and FCS sports.

They have Orlando City SC in the MLS. (Which I had initially forgotten about, too)
You’re right. My mistake. I don’t remotely follow soccer, so I missed that one.

Regardless, I’ve always felt Sacramento’s TV media market rating was misleading as it pertains to a sports fandom. It includes 16 counties, basically the entire Central Valley between the Bay Area and Reno down to Fresno. Not exactly a collection of homogenous communities. Sure, they all get the same local network channels, but do Modesto or Vacaville & Fairfield really consider any Sacramento sports team as their “hometown” team?

Completely arbitrarily, I might only count Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, Southwestern Placer, West El Dorado, and maybe San Joaquin, Amador, and Yuba counties as being Sacramento’s true sports-specific media market. That roughly knocks off about half a million households, dropping Sacramento down to the range of #31 San Antonio, #32 Hartford-New Haven, CT and #33 Columbus, OH on the list, well in-line with having a single “major league” professional sports team.

On the other end of the spectrum, #27 San Diego only has one major league sports team and, having lived in both Sacramento and San Diego, have never once thought of America’s Finest City (and 8th largest in the country) as the “smaller market.”

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
On the other end of the spectrum, #27 San Diego only has one major league sports team and, having lived in both Sacramento and San Diego, have never once thought of America’s Finest City (and 8th largest in the country) as the “smaller market.”
San Diego did have at least two major teams (MLB, NFL) from 1969-2016, with three teams (+NBA) for a 7-year span of that. What has cost San Diego its major teams seems similar to the problem Sacramento has in drawing them - both media markets are large, but dwarfed by bigger markets only 90 minutes away.

It's relatively interesting to consider how the biggest U.S. market (NYC) has had 2 NBA, 2 NFL, 2 MLB, and 2 NHL franchises basically forever, but the second-biggest market in L.A. was pretty far behind. They didn't have two NBA teams until 1984 (sucking up, you guessed it, San Diego's!), have only ever had one NHL team, and recently went two decades without an NFL franchise at all. It's like L.A. just hoovers up all of San Diego's sports, with the Padres safe only because L.A. isn't going to support three MLB franchises.

San Diego did have at least two major teams (MLB, NFL) from 1969-2016, with three teams (+NBA) for a 7-year span of that. What has cost San Diego its major teams seems similar to the problem Sacramento has in drawing them - both media markets are large, but dwarfed by bigger markets only 90 minutes away.

It's relatively interesting to consider how the biggest U.S. market (NYC) has had 2 NBA, 2 NFL, 2 MLB, and 2 NHL franchises basically forever, but the second-biggest market in L.A. was pretty far behind. They didn't have two NBA teams until 1984 (sucking up, you guessed it, San Diego's!), have only ever had one NHL team, and recently went two decades without an NFL franchise at all. It's like L.A. just hoovers up all of San Diego's sports, with the Padres safe only because L.A. isn't going to support three MLB franchises.
The “greener pastures” of LA is obviously a clear and present danger to San Diego sports fans, used as leverage throughout the Chargers’ stadium saga.

But that aside, it’s always been strange to me for the country’s 8th largest city to be considered a smaller media market than its 36th.