What’s your Mock?

Having followed basketball as long as I have this draft is one of the strangest ever. So little consensus of what players where. Assuming no trades what is your mock draft up to and including the Kings pick.

Detroit - Cade Cunningham
Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Jonathan Kuminga
Oklahoma City - Scottie Barnes
Golden State - Franz Wagner
Orlando - Moses Moody
Sacramento - Jalen Johnson

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Same but I have a feeling Johnson will be bust but we gotta take the risk unfortunately
This is the one shot they've got with super high risk/reward. He at least could conceivably play next to Barnes in a unit that the Kings need in terms of skill/size on the perimeter. I think he's probably closer to an Aaron Gordon but with much higher potential to fully transition to PF. Unless someone drops that the Kings can't truly make work perfectly and would lose value as a bench player (Mitchell and Keon Johnson mostly) there are no excuses not to find a legit perimeter piece they can build with in the form of a Bey level prospect which the Pistons wouldn't let go or potentially higher in Johnsons case.

Having followed basketball as long as I have this draft is one of the strangest ever. So little consensus of what players where. Assuming no trades what is your mock draft up to and including the Kings pick.

Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Moses Moody
Would be okay with that mock. Want Barnes, but would settle for Jalen Johnson. Don’t want Wagner or Moody. See Wagoner as Joe Ingles and I think Herb Jones is going to end up with a better career than Moody.

Moody and Wagoner both disappeared against a very average UCLA team that has, at best, two future second rounders. If you’re a lotto pick, you need to flash against inferior talent

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Would be okay with that mock. Want Barnes, but would settle for Jalen Johnson. Don’t want Wagner or Moody. See Wagoner as Joe Ingles and I think Herb Jones is going to end up with a better career than Moody.

Moody and Wagoner both disappeared against a very average UCLA team that has, at best, two future second rounders. If you’re a lotto pick, you need to flash against inferior talent
I would take Joe Ingles on this team in a heartbeat. Tough as nails, ready to mix it up. Isn't afraid of big moments.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Moses Moody
to

I could see all of this if the picks stayed as is.

Detroit probably does like Green a lot but I think they'll end up taking Cunningham.

I could actually see the Rockets trading their pick. Stone is a Morey protege and will likely look to trade for a star. Maybe they go after Ben Simmons. If not it's hard to say.

Cleveland will also likely takes whoever drops out of Green or Mobley, but I could also see them taking Barnes to have a starting five of Sexton, Garland, Okoro, Barnes, and Allen. They need more shooting but defensively it would help.

Suggs makes a ton of sense to Toronto.

Who knows what Orlando will do? Their "building blocks" are two guys with long injury histories and who both had season ending knee injuries in Fultz and Isaac. Barnes & Kuminga fit their general draft strategy if the last few years but I could see them being the first team with a surprise pick or picks - something like Keon Johnson at 5 and Sengun at 8. But Kuminga and Moody would be a nice pair.

I think OKC takes Barnes or Kuminga if they are there. They will take big swings because of the number of picks they own.

The Warriors are likely to trade one or both picks but if they keep #7 I think Mitchell makes a lot of sense to a team trying to win now.

I think the Kings would look to grab Barnes if he falls to 9 or else Jalen Johnson if he's still there. I don't know that McNair will trade up. I think it's more likely he deals #9 altogether.

It'll be an interesting offseason. I have no idea if McNair will make small tweaks/moves to get the Kings to compete for the 8th seed or make major changes. I just want to see a better Kings team no matter what.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would take Joe Ingles on this team in a heartbeat. Tough as nails, ready to mix it up. Isn't afraid of big moments.
Love Joe Ingles. And much better to get a great role player than a bust. But there will be a stud drafted at 9 or later and I hope McNair lands him.

Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Moses Moody
This is a good mock. But it’s definitely slanted toward picks that Kingsfans want. Not a knock - I wear my Kings tinted glasses everywhere - but other teams may value other positions more than we do (pg or big).

Houston - Jalen Green
Cleveland - Evan Mobley
Toronto - Jalen Suggs
Orlando - Moses Moody
This is as good as what I could come up with. I have read Orlando’s front office say that they prioritise players with two-way potential – and this fits with how they have drafted previously - so Kuminga and Moody fit for them. OKC wants guys with high upside so Barnes makes as sense much sense as anyone else. Golden State want to compete and have been dissatisfied with the relatively raw Wiseman – so see them taking someone more experienced and with a higher floor this time around. For the Kings, still getting a hold of front office team building philosophy, but given we now have Fox, Hali, Buddy, Wright, and Davis, I don't see the point in taking a guard. I could see the logic with Jalen Johnson - a modern four with natural talent who could make some contribution on the court and could develop into a very good player. Some possible character issues - but do they put weight on that? It did not discourage them from getting Davis.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This is a good mock. But it’s definitely slanted toward picks that Kingsfans want. Not a knock - I wear my Kings tinted glasses everywhere - but other teams may value other positions more than we do (pg or big).
Wagner and Moody are the only ones that aren't in those spots one way or another in every mock. Incidentally I think we also want a two-way player or at least someone who will be a defensive anchor and presumably we'd prefer that person be in the front court but we'd take a guard if there was a clear case of BPA, which would mean Kuminga or Barnes falling.

I expect Monte to be very active in the trade market though and I'm not convinced we don't shop the pick as part of a deal that also moves Buddy or Bagley (I think if we do move Barnes he is still a positive asset). If we do shop the pick I also have a feeling it will be on draft day when our trade partner knows who they are getting. Will be interesting to see who we work out.

Well it’s slanted towards wings still being the most valuable position in the NBA. And Big wings being the hardest to find.

But I claim no special knowledge and every mock I see is all over the place. So how come my mock is the only one posted?

so let’s see how you think it will play out. I have no special inside knowledge here.

I'll take a crack at it.

Pistons-Cade
Rockets-Mobley
Cavs-Green
Toronto-Suggs
Magic-Kuminga
OKC-Barnes
Warriors-Moody
Magic-Sengun
Kings-Johnson

Monte values defense and versatility so I imagine he takes Johnson, Moody or Wagner. He mentions taking risks so I think the upside of Johnson edges out Wagner.

This is the one shot they've got with super high risk/reward. He at least could conceivably play next to Barnes in a unit that the Kings need in terms of skill/size on the perimeter. I think he's probably closer to an Aaron Gordon but with much higher potential to fully transition to PF. Unless someone drops that the Kings can't truly make work perfectly and would lose value as a bench player (Mitchell and Keon Johnson mostly) there are no excuses not to find a legit perimeter piece they can build with in the form of a Bey level prospect which the Pistons wouldn't let go or potentially higher in Johnsons case.
yah you right. I’m hoping dubs pick a win now player that could be picked 10-12 but take him at 7 so we can get a guy that I want

so let’s see how you think it will play out. I have no special inside knowledge here.
Detroit: Cade. Because Troy Weaver has shown a willingness to take skill over athleticism. Hayes and Bey last year.
Houston: Green. Guard dominated league. Take the athlete that pops with the highest scoring skill set.
Cavs: Mobley. BPA. Balances out their roster relative to recent picks, who were undersized guards and wings.
Toronto: Suggs. Though I think Barnes or Kuminga can go here. All three project to be power players at their position. Masai likes those physical types—Lowery, Van Fleet, Anounby, Siakam, Kawahi.
Magic: Barnes. Magic have a type as well. Those long players. Isaac, Bamba…being in Florida is a plus as well. Barnes would be steal at 5.
OKC: Kuminga. Highest upside player left. Presti loves upside.
GSW: Sengun. Advanced stats meets plug and play on offense meets high hoops IQ.
Magic: Jalen Johnson. Length plus skill plus upside.
Kings: Boughknight—craft plus athleticism plus can create off the bounce. McNair has a type. He bets on the dude, who has a chance to be a three level scorer. Though I think 60/40 odds this pick gets traded unless Sengun or Barnes are there at 9. Especially Sengun, who checks of all of the boxes for McNair. I’ll just call it the Hali-Bey checklist going fwd.

For me, I’d prefer Barnes or Jalen Johnson or Giddey at #9. My type is big wings, who can create.

I can see a world where Wagoner goes 7 or 8. Because he fits the types that those teams are looking for as well.

I still don’t know why Moody is considered a lotto pick. Saw him a handful of times during the season, been watching a lot of his film. Looks pedestrian to me. Butler is a better player and I think Herb Jones will end up having a better career. Jones has a chance to be a young Ariza while Moody looks like a 7 yr., run of the mill, 3&d.

Keon Johnson’s athleticism pops, but I question his handles. Hence why I think the Kings would pick Boughknight over him. Take the dude who has a better chance of being Dwade over the dude who may end up being Benny Mac, bcz he lacks refined handles. But if Johnson develops handles, he’d be fun.

Detroit: Cade. Because Troy Weaver has shown a willingness to take skill over athleticism. Hayes and Bey last year.
Houston: Green. Guard dominated league. Take the athlete that pops with the highest scoring skill set.
Cavs: Mobley. BPA. Balances out their roster relative to recent picks, who were undersized guards and wings.
Toronto: Suggs. Though I think Barnes or Kuminga can go here. All three project to be power players at their position. Masai likes those physical types—Lowery, Van Fleet, Anounby, Siakam, Kawahi.
Magic: Barnes. Magic have a type as well. Those long players. Isaac, Bamba…being in Florida is a plus as well. Barnes would be steal at 5.
OKC: Kuminga. Highest upside player left. Presti loves upside.
GSW: Sengun. Advanced stats meets plug and play on offense meets high hoops IQ.
Magic: Jalen Johnson. Length plus skill plus upside.
Kings: Boughknight—craft plus athleticism plus can create off the bounce. McNair has a type. He bets on the dude, who has a chance to be a three level scorer. Though I think 60/40 odds this pick gets traded unless Sengun or Barnes are there at 9. Especially Sengun, who checks of all of the boxes for McNair. I’ll just call it the Hali-Bey checklist going fwd.

For me, I’d prefer Barnes or Jalen Johnson or Giddey at #9. My type is big wings, who can create.

I can see a world where Wagoner goes 7 or 8. Because he fits the types that those teams are looking for as well.

I still don’t know why Moody is considered a lotto pick. Saw him a handful of times during the season, been watching a lot of his film. Looks pedestrian to me. Butler is a better player and I think Herb Jones will end up having a better career. Jones has a chance to be a young Ariza while Moody looks like a 7 yr., run of the mill, 3&d.

Keon Johnson’s athleticism pops, but I question his handles. Hence why I think the Kings would pick Boughknight over him. Take the dude who has a better chance of being Dwade over the dude who may end up being Benny Mac, bcz he lacks refined handles. But if Johnson develops handles, he’d be fun.
again anyone’s guess is as good as mine but in a draft where we need wings if Wagner or Giddey is there I hope we take them over the guards. We need high IQ large wings.

I want a big wing, who can create, but lean BPA. Drafting for fit just leads to more mistakes—cough, cough Luka. I think Bouknight is better than Giddey or Wagoner.
I’m feeling the same way as you I would be happy with Wagner Giddey or Jalen Johnson and while they are each not perfect prospects and flawed in one way or the other, they would definitely fill a position of need. I love the idea of Giddey but I think you still need to go out and get a defensive 3/4 maybe bring Harkless back and draft Giddey?