Wesley Johnson

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And man that is so important. This is why I have soured some on Aminu. Potential is great but not enough to hang your hat on. I like the comparisons of Johnson to Shawn Marion, and I hope he turns out that way.
Well he's certainly got a better looking shot than Marion. The player I'd like to compare him to is Scotty Pippen. But he's not quite at that all around skill level. Pippen was a pretty complete player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
all I can say is that there is nothing physical or mental about him that suggests he can't be more in time.

His defense will be fine, there were actually more than a few times this year where he played terrific one on one defense and the zone at the very least did show his weak side and team defensive capabilities.
Yeah the zone doesn't totally preclude you from going one on one at times. At some point someone is either going to put up a contested perimeter shot or someone is going to try and break down the zone by penetrating. It really depends on the type of zone your playing. Anyway, I'm not going to get into all that.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I agree with this, but it's a silly debate to be having. If you're comparing Greene vs Johnson then you shouldn't be thinking about drafting Johnson IMO. Even if Johnson is better than Greene and Casspi right now, I think when you combine the unbeleivable upside of Greene (and Casspi to a lesser extent) with the relatively small ability gap at the moment, that it would be enough to preclude drafting Johnson as a 3.

I have to go back to Bajadens last post and say that the question truly remains can Johnson play the 2. If so I think he's a great pick at #5. Like Baja said, if you leave him alone he's going to punish you, and last year our wings got an unbeleivable amount of open shots as teams collapsed on Tyreke.
If somebody can convince me that he can get his own shot and be a decent passer on the move, then absolutely, draft him and put him at the 2. I didn't see that when I watched him though. I probably only saw about five games with him in it. But I never did see him terrorize the defense with penetration to the basket. With all that athletic ability, why not? It's hard to buy into the notion that the coach didn't want him to aggressively put pressure on the defense and he was just following orders. He just strikes me as a guy who is content with hanging out at the periphery. He and Turner are stark contrasts in my view.

If somebody can convince me that he can get his own shot and be a decent passer on the move, then absolutely, draft him and put him at the 2. I didn't see that when I watched him though. I probably only saw about five games with him in it. But I never did see him terrorize the defense with penetration to the basket. With all that athletic ability, why not? It's hard to buy into the notion that the coach didn't want him to aggressively put pressure on the defense and he was just following orders. He just strikes me as a guy who is content with hanging out at the periphery. He and Turner are stark contrasts in my view.
I don't like him at the 2. He's a great 3pt shooter, but he also plays great defense, can rebound very well and block shots, but is not a ball handler/playmaker. His skills are fine for the 3 and is a big enough upgrade over what we have IMO to take him at 5.

He has adapted well to his lack of creation by moving well without the ball, utilizing a long step back, has a great pull up off one dribble, and shoots well with a hand in his face. He has proven to me that he can get his shot off, and we can use shooting and athleticism/defense/shotblocking etc like that.

If you're going to trade Casspi for the 9th overall pick, then I would take Johnson at 5, and hope that Monroe slips to 9. There is always Aminu, Aldrich and Edoh. Worst case scenario, we get Aldrich, lol

But seriously, if we had a trade setup with Casspi for the 9th pick, then we would be able to go Johnson at 5, and still easily get a big at 9 that compares to any that would be selected at 5 or 6 or 7. All of this is either assuming Cousins is off the board, or Geoff has decided that Cousins isn't worth the risk.
I doubt Monroe falls that far. However there you're in range to take a swing at Whiteside too. Or you're right, Aldrich would be completely suitable.

Memphis at 12 might take Casspi to replace Rudy Gay too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually I saw Johnson go to the basket quite a bit this past season. But he chose his spots to do so. He's not like Turner or Evans who can get to the basket even when everyone knows they're going to the basket. But its probably not fair to compare him to those two. They're both special players in that regard.

So I don't think that necessarily precludes him from playing SG. I mean if Donte could play the position at times last year, then I think Johnson would be an improvement by comparison. My problem is whether your drafting him with the SG position in mind without knowing for sure he can play the postion 100% of the time. I'll leave that decision up to the higher powers. What I don't want is Kevin Martin part two.. Actually scratch that. He's a very good defender, so he's already ahead.

So I don't think that necessarily precludes him from playing SG. I mean if Donte could play the position at times last year, then I think Johnson would be an improvement by comparison. My problem is whether your drafting him with the SG position in mind without knowing for sure he can play the postion 100% of the time. I'll leave that decision up to the higher powers. What I don't want is Kevin Martin part two.. Actually scratch that. He's a very good defender, so he's already ahead.
Well I think between him and our other SFs we can shore up the 2 spot if needed. If we decide to keep Greene and take Johnson certainly Greene can play the 2 spot, or have them essentially interchangeable on a nightly basis based on who would work better where that night. It's an idea.

Actually I saw Johnson go to the basket quite a bit this past season. But he chose his spots to do so. He's not like Turner or Evans who can get to the basket even when everyone knows they're going to the basket. But its probably not fair to compare him to those two. They're both special players in that regard.

If he is a good enough shooter, then he will be able to get the basket. KMart wasn't a good ball-handler, and he got most of his FTs by driving to the basket. Reggie Miller will likely end up in the HOF, and he was an average ball-handler and passer. He also wasn't much for creating his own shot. I think Johnson will need a team to set screens, if he wants to get the most of his ability.

Well I think between him and our other SFs we can shore up the 2 spot if needed. If we decide to keep Greene and take Johnson certainly Greene can play the 2 spot, or have them essentially interchangeable on a nightly basis based on who would work better where that night. It's an idea.
Definitely, Both Greene and Johnson could guard twos, and it would be a good oppurtunity to expand their game and learn how to create shots.
I think with the height and jumpshot of Johnson at the 2 beside Reke, it FORCES the other team to put their PG on Reke. they aint gonna put a PG on a 6'7-6'8 shooter, or he'll just rise up over top.
Plus when Beno comes on we could play, Beno/Reke/Johnson, Beno/Reke/Greene, Beno/Reke/Johnson/Greene. We would just be very versatile at the 1,2 and 3 spots, we could create and dictate what matches we want probably most of the time.

Also getting a Wesley Snipes allows Thompson,Hawes,Landry to grow for another year. They will get one more shot to prove what they can do with significant minutes, I think with another big added Hawes will see the bench more then any other big. And he still has potential to tap.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that Johnson is a good post up player, he only has one move - a turn around jumper, but it's effective. Westphal did mention that he wants a SG who can post up. If you put Wesley next to Tyreke, and if the opponent uses their SG to guard Tyreke and the PG to guard Wesley, then Johnson can just go to the post to shoot 12 foot turnaround all day over a much shorter man. Teams will try to double team Johnson but he is a good passer. And when you throw in Casspi or Donte in the SF, both of them also have post games and you basically have a mismatch at all times in the post.

I think WJ can be a good fit next to Tyreke provided you have the right piece at the SF spot. The SF will have to be someone who can handle the ball and share some of the playmaking abilities.

I like Johnson alot, spare his noted reluctance to mix it up in the paint/drive to the basket.

Like many others, I think a guy at his age is a reach at #4-5, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on our team one bit. As mentioned, he has the potential to be a very solid defender in the NBA - while he won't be a massive upgrade over our current SF logjam, he would be an improvement - and I'll take improvements all day long.

However, draft logic tells you to go with Aminu - upside, upside, upside. I don't see it right now - although there's a tiny voice in my head that says Aminu might turn out to be a pretty good starter. Should we end up taking him, I'd like to see the acquisition of an "more immediate impact" pick ala Aldrich, Udoh etc...

I like Johnson alot, spare his noted reluctance to mix it up in the paint/drive to the basket.

Like many others, I think a guy at his age is a reach at #4-5, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on our team one bit. As mentioned, he has the potential to be a very solid defender in the NBA - while he won't be a massive upgrade over our current SF logjam, he would be an improvement - and I'll take improvements all day long.

However, draft logic tells you to go with Aminu - upside, upside, upside. I don't see it right now - although there's a tiny voice in my head that says Aminu might turn out to be a pretty good starter. Should we end up taking him, I'd like to see the acquisition of an "more immediate impact" pick ala Aldrich, Udoh etc...
It's not that he's reluctant, he just doesn't have great tools at the moment. I think it's to his credit that he stays within his game.

Something to consider is that the NBA has much more open lanes to the basket than college does. With his athleticism, length, pull up jumper, and body control, I think he's going to get to drive to the basket easier in the NBA than in college.

It's not that he's reluctant, he just doesn't have great tools at the moment. I think it's to his credit that he stays within his game.

Something to consider is that the NBA has much more open lanes to the basket than college does. With his athleticism, length, pull up jumper, and body control, I think he's going to get to drive to the basket easier in the NBA than in college.
This is a good point. Most college teams play some type of zone defense. This makes it harder to get to the basket for several reasons. It also lets big men patrol the paint playing goalie, which can inflate block shots to some extent.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

If my only choice is between Johnson and Aminu, I take Johnson. And its not even close. I can't think of a single reason that I would take Aminu over Johnson. Why would Aminu have more upside than Johnson, other than age. Both players are good athletes. Personally I think Johnson is the better athlete of the two.. Johnson is the better shooter of the two, and its not even close. Johnson is the better ballhandler of the two. Johnson is the better passer of the two. Johnson is the more aggresive player of the two.

Right now, Johnson is a much better basketball player than Aminu. So if I can draft a player thats very close to being a complete package vrs a player that might someday be the complete package, I take the player thats closer. Forget the age crap. Johnson is 22 years old, about to turn 23 in july. If we draft him we'll sign him to a 5 year rookie contract. At the end of that contract he'll be 28 and just entering his prime. What the rules will be then, who knows, but I'm sure we'll have a chance to resign him if we desire to do so. I mean how long does a player stay with a team on average. The only time I worry about age is when were thinking of signing a 33 year old player to a six year contract.

I have really tried to like Aminu. He just doesn't do that much for me. He did improve from his freshman year to his sophmore year, but it wasn't a dramatic improvement. I'm sure he'll turn out to be a good player. But right now I just can't get too excited about him

I know there's a long way to go until the draft, but I feel really good about Wes Johnson. I won't be disappointed at all if we end up with him. I don't think he's just a "ready" player, I think he still has a lot of room to grow. Most importantly, I think he has the best character, work ethic, and personality of anyone in this draft class. IMO, he's the best player after the top 4, and I don't care if he's not a big. People think all we're lacking is a big, but I think we're lacking so much more than that. We're lacking core players, and I think Johnson can be a core player.

I know there's a long way to go until the draft, but I feel really good about Wes Johnson. I won't be disappointed at all if we end up with him. I don't think he's just a "ready" player, I think he still has a lot of room to grow. Most importantly, I think he has the best character, work ethic, and personality of anyone in this draft class. IMO, he's the best player after the top 4, and I don't care if he's not a big. People think all we're lacking is a big, but I think we're lacking so much more than that. We're lacking core players, and I think Johnson can be a core player.
I'm starting to come around on Johnson. Not in terms of believing he has talent, because there is no doubt he has star talent, but in terms of if Cousins isn't there at #5, take Johnson and don't look back. This team really needs a big, but I would say now this is a 5 player draft, and the talent drops off immediatley at #6, and the questions really start popping up. He would simply be too good to pass up.

But I also think if we take him, you're looking at our new sg. He's not a great ballhandler, but he's at least as good as Kevin was, and should get better. He's also a decent passer, and I think he'll improve in that area to. Defensively I don't see him having trouble guarding sg's, and the defensive potential of have Tyreke, Johnson, and Donte at the 1,2, and 3 is scary. Johnson would have a learnig curve if moved to sg, but I don't see it being that steep of a curve, and as his ballhandling improves, I could see him being a sg longterm. IMO, starting him at the 2 would be a much better situation for everyone than having Donte, Omri, and Johnson battle it out for time at sf.

Of course that still leaves us with a gaping hole at center, and Petire would have to do something in free agency, or more likely make a trade and absorb a contract. I wouldn't feel this way if I didn't think Johnson could play the 2, and succeed. I wouldn't draft him to play sf, at least not with our roster looking like it is now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The way I look at it is that we need a big man and we need a guy to play next to Evans. Johnson fills one of those holes as far as I'm concerned. It looks that either Johnson or Cousins will drop to five. I'm just fine taking either one of them. If were not going to take either one, then I'd trade down for more picks.

The way I look at it is that we need a big man and we need a guy to play next to Evans. Johnson fills one of those holes as far as I'm concerned. It looks that either Johnson or Cousins will drop to five. I'm just fine taking either one of them. If were not going to take either one, then I'd trade down for more picks.
Well, if we do trade down, do you think the 5th pick could be worth the 12 and 25th to the Grizzlies? I would think it might if they're really into Johnson, he could be a cheap alternative to Gay.

if we pick Johnson, I would like to see us pick up another late lottery or mid first round pick to get a big man. The mere thought of Spencer Hawes as our starting center for another season makes me want to throw up. :) We will never get anywhere with Hawes as our only true center on the team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, if we do trade down, do you think the 5th pick could be worth the 12 and 25th to the Grizzlies? I would think it might if they're really into Johnson, he could be a cheap alternative to Gay.
You been reading my mind? Thats exactly the trade I was thinking of. I think we'd have to be convinced that there would be someone at twelve that we really liked. :)

You been reading my mind? Thats exactly the trade I was thinking of. I think we'd have to be convinced that there would be someone at twelve that we really liked. :)
Well, you might have the homerun swing bigs in Orton, Whiteside, Motiejunas, and Seraphin, if he climbs up the draft in workouts. You also might have Paul George there too. Then at 25, we can grab Bledsoe or Bradley if they're there.

I just don't know if the Grizzlies like anyone at the 5 spot enough to do that trade. They might like having two picks for the added depth.

if we pick Johnson, I would like to see us pick up another late lottery or mid first round pick to get a big man. The mere thought of Spencer Hawes as our starting center for another season makes me want to throw up. :) We will never get anywhere with Hawes as our only true center on the team.
I like Kevin Seraphin. Just going off of what I've read on DX about him, he sounds like he could be the center version of Ibaka.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, #12 and #25 doesn't nearly compensate for #5 in my mind. The downgrade from #5 to #12 is so big that you'd have to believe there was a real gem sitting there at #25 to compensate. And I doubt that.

As far as the Grizz are concerned, not even Memphis is stupid enough to turn that deal down. Chris Wallace would probably take a microsecond to accept it (compared to your average, competent GM who would take a nanosecond).

Well, #12 and #25 doesn't nearly compensate for #5 in my mind. The downgrade from #5 to #12 is so big that you'd have to believe there was a real gem sitting there at #25 to compensate. And I doubt that.

As far as the Grizz are concerned, not even Memphis is stupid enough to turn that deal down. Chris Wallace would probably take a microsecond to accept it (compared to your average, competent GM who would take a nanosecond).
I'm not suggesting that that would have to be the extent of the trade, but rather the main idea of it. Also, I'm not necessarily saying that deal is a good idea since I have no problem with us taking Johnson, but if we're not digging anyone at 5, might as well trade down and get some extra pieces.

Maybe you're right, I'd just rather not assume how the griz may value certain picks. You never know, they may not like anyone in that range. It depends a lot on their own pov.

K

king07

i'm stil bummed about the draft, was really hoping we could get Favors, instead we will settle for wesley johnson. :(

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, you might have the homerun swing bigs in Orton, Whiteside, Motiejunas, and Seraphin, if he climbs up the draft in workouts. You also might have Paul George there too. Then at 25, we can grab Bledsoe or Bradley if they're there.

I just don't know if the Grizzlies like anyone at the 5 spot enough to do that trade. They might like having two picks for the added depth.
Don't forget. The Grizz also have the 28th pick in the first round, so they would still have two picks. Of course, maybe they prefer three..:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Hey, what happened to the millisecond?:confused: