Wesley Johnson

I like Kevin Seraphin. Just going off of what I've read on DX about him, he sounds like he could be the center version of Ibaka.
We have to get a big man somehow, regardless of who we get at #5. whether it be an additional draft pick or trade or free agency, I don't care! I'm going to be pissed if we go into this season with Hawes as our only true center again. It'd be like knowing your sh*t stinks, but not putting any deodarant on! We have a big problem and we need to do something about! :p

We have to get a big man somehow, regardless of who we get at #5. whether it be an additional draft pick or trade or free agency, I don't care! I'm going to be pissed if we go into this season with Hawes as our only true center again. It'd be like knowing your sh*t stinks, but not putting any deodarant on! We have a big problem and we need to do something about! :p
I doubt free agency really has any solutions for us. Whether we trade for another pick in the draft, that's difficult to do and it won't come cheap. We shouldn't do anything out of desperation, we still have a long way to go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd rather Aminu than Johnson personally... I like Aminu's upside as a defender with great length at the sf spot.
I think that if they draft Johnson, its their intent to play him at the SG spot. Which is a need. That aside, Johnson is the better player right now. And if I were to take a bet, I'd bet he's always the better player of the two. Johnson is an aggressive player whose appears to be more athletic than Aminu. Aminu has a max vertical of 33.5" while Johnson has a max of 37". Although Aminu is about an inch taller his max reach is an inch shorter.

Johnson was a good defender in college. So what are you basing the upside on? Johnson right now can play either SG or SF. I'm not sure what position Aminu can effectively play right now. He played PF in college, but I don't think he has the body type to play it in the pro's. On the other hand he doesn't have the skills right now to play SF.

I'm starting to wonder what BPA really means to people. If you have a very athletic player thats very skilled and another athletic player thats not nearly as skilled, why would you take the one thats less skilled? You wouldn't unless you were convinced that he would be much better down the road. Where Aminu is concerned, I'm not convinced he'll ever be better than Johnson. And if so, how many years will it take for him to do it?

Not saying that Aminu won't be a good player. Thats not the point. The point is that if you draft Aminu he'll provide rebounding and defense. If you draft Johnson he'll provide rebounding and defense and offense and definitely a higher basketball IQ. He's just a better all around player.

They are totally different players. Despite the fact that they both saw time at the 4 Aminu is much more suited for the position. Dude is tough and strong and rebounds really well. He reminds me of Donyell Marshall most actually, not someone you would consider for the 2 spot.

Johnson said in an interview that he used to play PG a lot, that the biggest misconception about him is that he has no handle, and that he'd feel very comfortable as a SG. Since we have a need for that he's a good fit.

I think what they see most in Aminu is that he's so productive despite being so raw. He can put up numbers similar to a highly skilled player just out of raw talent. Let him develop an offensive game and he could be one of the best players in the league.

Not saying that Aminu won't be a good player. Thats not the point. The point is that if you draft Aminu he'll provide rebounding and defense. If you draft Johnson he'll provide rebounding and defense and offense and definitely a higher basketball IQ. He's just a better all around player.
The way I look at it is Aminu is 3 years younger, taller, longer, a much better rebounder (12.8 per 40 p/a to 9.2), and a comparable scorer (18.9 to 17.8). Johnson is a far better shooter.

Personally I'll take the youth, length, and rebounding over the shooting.

If i had to pick between Johnson and Aminu id take Aminu. However, id rather not take either player and select a bigman. Even though i like Johnson's game selecting him would require us to trade Greene or Casspi prematurely. Im totally against taking a wing player with our best pick this year.

If i had to pick between Johnson and Aminu id take Aminu. However, id rather not take either player and select a bigman. Even though i like Johnson's game selecting him would require us to trade Greene or Casspi prematurely. Im totally against taking a wing player with our best pick this year.
While I agree with you about getting a big man, I don't agree that drafting Johnson means having to move Greene or Casspi. I see no reason that Johnson can't play SG in the NBA. His natural position might be SF, but he has the quickness and athleticism to guard SGs. And while ball-handling might one of his weaknesses, it doesn't mean he is a bad ball-handler. He is a much better ball-handler than KMart IMO, and he seems to play SG just fine.

Wes Johnson is a skilled, athletic, and has a solid NBA position at the 3, and quite possibly at the two. Give me his 3pt shooting, alley-oop finishing, fast break streaking, and garbage dunk put backs alongside Tyreke all day long. Not to mention he has good defensive instincts and rebounds well for his position, plus blocks a shot here and there.

Aminu reminds me too much of Darius Miles. Aminu could get away with his size + skills at the collegiate level, but I have serious doubts how he translates to the NBA. Johnson's game translates so much better to the NBA.