Wesley Johnson

If somehow Johnson is there at #5. I think we should take him. I believe he did not get the nick "Sniper" for dunking alone. If the kid got range, then he is a a good complement to Tyreke's game.

We can have a lineup of :
Evans 6'6" (PG)
Johnson 6'8" (SG)
Donte 6'10"(SF)

And that surely screams mismatch against all NBA team. Johnson will improve his handles just like how Evans evolved throughout the season. I think that's his primary problem if he plays SG.

Now I'm not too worried anymore. I believe this is now 5 player draft. Wall, Turner, Cousins, Favors, or Johnson. Any of these kids will help the Kings. :cool:
Good COMPLIMENTARY post for Johnson, but I think you are putting so much weight on the need for a COMPLEMENTARY shooting guard player next to Evans that you are forgetting the other need which is a COMPLEMENTARY center/power forward player to play with Evans.

They are both important, but in this draft where only Turner looks like the surest thing at the shooting guard position then you have to be very careful and not be complacent on our other needs.

Right now the need for that complementary BIG far outweighs the importance of that complementary shooting guard that will play with Evans because we have plenty of good players to try playing shooting guard next to Evans. We have Cisco, Donte Greene, or even Casspi and Beno who has proven to be as effective playing alongside Evans. But the complementary BIG for the team who will patrol the paint for Evans, who do we have?

Last edited:
What kind of drugs are you guys on?
Oh they're good but I'm the one wanting a big. :eek:

If we do end up taking Cousins I hope Aldrich doesn't turn out to be the better center. I know you're going to say he won't but you never know. Something tells me though that Cousins is going to buckle down and get serious.

The Draft has a stigma to it, I look at it more like a trade. Like we're trading something we totally don't want so there's no trader's remorse. After this past season would you want to "trade" for a quality SF or a quality center?

Good COMPLIMENTARY post for Johnson, but I think you are putting so much weight on the need for a COMPLEMENTARY shooting guard player next to Evans that you are forgetting the other need which is a COMPLEMENTARY center/power forward player to play with Evans.

They are both important, but in this draft where only Turner looks like the surest thing at the shooting guard position then you have to be very careful and not be complacent on our other needs.

Right now the need for that complementary BIG far outweighs the importance of that complementary shooting guard that will play with Evans because we have plenty of good players to try playing shooting guard next to Evans. We have Cisco, Donte Greene, or even Casspi and Beno who has proven to be as effective playing alongside Evans. But the complementary BIG for the team who will patrol the paint for Evans, who do we have?
Everything still depends how the workout and combines will turnout. I'm only looking at the glass half full for Wesley. :p

True, but my point is Donte would be going into his senior year this year.
This is exactly why we shouldn't be considering him. Only way I'm okay with him as a pick is if Petrie feels he'll play the 2. If he can be a legit 2 and he and Donte can play at the same time then we may be talking. I haven't heard many positive things about him playing the 2...

If we have a chance at cousins, I agree you take him without a second thought, but with that said ... Something about him screams STAY AWAY to me ...

And, just remember, Nocioni is our best small forward.
*cough*

====Production(own-opponent)===On/Off Court===Simple Rating==PER
Casspi=======-0.1==============+2.9=========+1.1======13.0
Udoka=======-4.3==============+1.0=========-2.2=======9.6
Garcia=======-6.2==============+3.6=========-2.3======12.4
Greene======-5.4==============-0.7==========-3.5======11.6
Nocioni======-6.7==============-1.1==========-4.4======11.1

I say we take Johnson and play him at the 2.
Hes good enough to defend 2-3's . He will be the shooter we need beside Reke too. His ballhandling wont be that much of an issue because the balls always gonna be in Rekes/Benos hands anyways.
We need pure shooters. And this guy is that plus hes a good rebounder and defender.
Reke/Johnson/Greene would be pretty sick defence.
We could also play Beno/Reke/Johnson/Greene/Thompson at times.
I originally wanted Monroe. But after thinking about it for awhile I think i'm on the Wes Johnson Bandwagon.

Did he really argue that it was the greater need? The greater need isn't really relevant if you're trying to make the argument for BPA.

This is exactly why we shouldn't be considering him. Only way I'm okay with him as a pick is if Petrie feels he'll play the 2. If he can be a legit 2 and he and Donte can play at the same time then we may be talking. I haven't heard many positive things about him playing the 2...
He can play the two. It's really not that necessary for him to handle the ball that much. The same way it wasn't necessary for Byron Scott to handle the ball when he was SG with Magic at the point. He just needs to move off the ball, defend, hit jumpers, and catch lobs. He's not a player that will get in anyone's way, and he is much better than Greene or Casspi.

I'm warming up to the idea of Reke/Johnson/Greene.

I don't know when people just decided that Johnson can play the two. He may be able to play it at the next nevel (key word being may) but his natural position is most definitely at the 3. People need to stop acting like he is a 2. He's not.

I don't know when people just decided that Johnson can play the two. He may be able to play it at the next nevel (key word being may) but his natural position is most definitely at the 3. People need to stop acting like he is a 2. He's not.
You're quibbling over labels. It only matters if the offense would work with him and Greene/Casspi/Garcia out there.

You're quibbling over labels. It only matters if the offense would work with him and Greene/Casspi/Garcia out there.

I'm quibbling over where his most effective position would be, and whether drafting a big guy who plays in his natural position would have more of an impact. Right now, I think we should go with a guy like Aldrich or Udoh over Johnson. I like Johnson, I really do. But he doesn't appear to fit. He's 23 already - his ball handling and passing are average. He's a good player and could be one of the surprises in the draft, but I'm not ready to take minutes from Donte and Omri for another SF, when we could seriously upgrade the hardest position to get - Center. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm quibbling over where his most effective position would be, and whether drafting a big guy who plays in his natural position would have more of an impact. Right now, I think we should go with a guy like Aldrich or Udoh over Johnson. I like Johnson, I really do. But he doesn't appear to fit. He's 23 already - his ball handling and passing are average. He's a good player and could be one of the surprises in the draft, but I'm not ready to take minutes from Donte and Omri for another SF, when we could seriously upgrade the hardest position to get - Center. It just doesn't make sense.
I'm not entirely opposed to taking Aldrich, but Johnson wouldn't be playing out of position. Just because he'd be technically playing the 2, doesn't mean his role would be any different than if he were playing the 3. He'd still do what he is good at: being active off the ball, playing defense, finishing, and shooting.

I'm not entirely opposed to taking Aldrich, but Johnson wouldn't be playing out of position. Just because he'd be technically playing the 2, doesn't mean his role would be any different than if he were playing the 3. He'd still do what he is good at: being active off the ball, playing defense, finishing, and shooting.
The problem is he doesn't excel in 2 major areas we need from a backcourt partner, passing and ball handling. Throw him in whatever position you want, if both he and the guy playing the other swing spot are poor passers/ball handlers, we are in big trouble.

Would he help in shooting/perimeter defense? Of course. But he'd hurt in the other two categories plus we'd still suck at interior d and rebounding (which drafting a big could help).

The problem is he doesn't excel in 2 major areas we need from a backcourt partner, passing and ball handling. Throw him in whatever position you want, if both he and the guy playing the other swing spot are poor passers/ball handlers, we are in big trouble.

Would he help in shooting/perimeter defense? Of course. But he'd hurt in the other two categories plus we'd still suck at interior d and rebounding (which drafting a big could help).
I don't think it means we're in big trouble per se, but I think the difference is that I'm thinking long term benefits.

With Garcia, that's easy. Cisco can, and should, play the 2 more this season. If he can get his shot consistent and continue to handle the ball capably, he's the perfect in-house complement to Reke.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We do not need Johnson. Prety much period.

Have a hard time seeing us make that pick unless he blows us away in workouts. Trading up if we can or tradinig it away both seem more likely outcomes then taking another random guy at our deepest/youngest position just because he's next up in the mocks and then playing him out of position.

Have a hard time seeing us make that pick unless he blows us away in workouts. Trading up if we can or tradinig it away both seem more likely outcomes then taking another random guy at our deepest/youngest position just because he's next up in the mocks and then playing him out of position.
It's fine if you think that Johnson isn't the clear bpa, but calling him random is a bit insulting to his obvious talent.

I don't see the Kings picking him either.

Aminu working out in LA

I've watched a ton of Aminu, probably more than any other player in the draft. He's very interesting and to be honest he's probably the "sexiest" prospect in this draft. Not looks wise of course, :cool: but he's got some serious size, length, and a feel for the game that very few players have. The problem with him is I don't see a pure SF but more of an undersized PF. Apparently he's working on his jumper and if he can get that down he'll be just fine but while he has all the tools, he just hasn't put it together yet. I'd rather have Johnson myself even though I think Aminu has a much higher ceiling.
Aminu sounds like a good prospect with high upside. He has been working hard in LA on his shooting. He is 19 and only 15 days older than Wall. This means he has upside. It sounds like he comes from a good family, and wants to get his degree from Wake Forest.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...g-Part-2-Al-Farouq-Aminu-in-Los-Angeles-3466/

I don't really think playing him at the 2 is playing him out of position. He's a good shooter, is athletic enough to defend the 2, and is a very good passer and off the ball player as well as being a solid finisher. He is not great at creating his own shot or at beating his man off the dribble which many 2s are strong at, but Tyreke creates a lot of open shots on drive and kicks that Johnson would benefit from.

I agree that having Cisco/Noc/Greene/Beno/Casspi as guys on the roster who can already play the 2 muddles things. I definitely agree one way or the other you have to make a move, whether it's thinning our current wings for assets, or trading the pick for assets.

My main point with Johnson remains that he is clearly closer to the top five in talent than he is to the rest of the draft. He's not a great fit on the Kings with our roster as is at the moment, but he would be the clear BPA at 5 if the other four guys are gone.

Aminu sounds like a good prospect with high upside. He has been working hard in LA on his shooting. He is 19 and only 15 days older than Wall. This means he has upside. It sounds like he comes from a good family, and wants to get his degree from Wake Forest.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...g-Part-2-Al-Farouq-Aminu-in-Los-Angeles-3466/

Aminu scares me to death...as opposed to Johnson who is a good athlete and can shoot and pass and is an ok handler, Aminu is a freak athlete who can't shoot or pass or dribble. Just seems like too much of a project for a wing

It's fine if you think that Johnson isn't the clear bpa, but calling him random is a bit insulting to his obvious talent.

I don't see the Kings picking him either.

Well pretty much 5-12 are next tier talents.. He might be one of the better "next tier" talents, but I still rank Aldrich higher than him as BPA and since we need a center might as well go with Aldrich.

The difference between Johnson's and Cousins' interview is night and day.

Yeah I just watched them. WesJ was very polished, positive and friendly. Gives a vibe of a person thats much more mature.

I like Cousins' size and talent, but he truly looks frustrated by justh the fact that he has to answer questions. You can tell a lot of minor things bothers him. So what happens when an opposing player trash talks him or the calls don't go his way? Or when the team loses a bunch of games in a row etc etc. Cousins is really a guy that you need to have the "Brain Doctor" from Celtics interview and also give him a test similar to the Wonderlic.

Yeah I just watched them. WesJ was very polished, positive and friendly. Gives a vibe of a person thats much more mature.

I like Cousins' size and talent, but he truly looks frustrated by justh the fact that he has to answer questions. You can tell a lot of minor things bothers him. So what happens when an opposing player trash talks him or the calls don't go his way? Or when the team loses a bunch of games in a row etc etc. Cousins is really a guy that you need to have the "Brain Doctor" from Celtics interview and also give him a test similar to the Wonderlic.
That's what I saw too. I mean, it was painful to watch that interview. It was tough to pt my finger on exactly why, but it was hard to watch that interview and not dislike the guy. He can't sit down and field a bunch of respectful softball questions at the combine?

That's what I saw too. I mean, it was painful to watch that interview. It was tough to pt my finger on exactly why, but it was hard to watch that interview and not dislike the guy. He can't sit down and field a bunch of respectful softball questions at the combine?
I think it's because he seemed like he was ready to just storm off at any moment. He was obviously irritated and took offense to any serious question about himself. The reporters were actually being very careful in how they were phrasing their questions to him.

During the season he was trying to behave. Seems he is embracing his image but is he doing it at the right time? Could this hurt his draft stock? Maybe if we keep saying it hurts his draft stock it actually will and he'll drop to us.