Wesley Johnson

He's made a believer out of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxl8--py1Z8

I love how this guy finishes at the hoop. He has awesome tenacity and agressiveness, something that our current forwards have shown in spurts, but not with any kind of consistency. He can shoot from outside, and can finish strong anywhere within 5 feet of the hoop. He looks like he'd be well loved by the Kings fans. Reminds me of a Josh Smith with longer range.

I know the Kings need a big man, but Cousins doesn't look like he'll fit the bill at an NBA level, especially with his maturity at this point. Al-Farouq Aminu looks promising, but I can't find much on the guy.

What do you guys think? I don't mind if the Kings take Johnson and make some deals with our current forwards...even Casspi.

I love how this guy finishes at the hoop. He has awesome tenacity and agressiveness, something that our current forwards have shown in spurts, but not with any kind of consistency. He can shoot from outside, and can finish strong anywhere within 5 feet of the hoop. He looks like he'd be well loved by the Kings fans. Reminds me of a Josh Smith with longer range.

I know the Kings need a big man, but Cousins doesn't look like he'll fit the bill at an NBA level, especially with his maturity at this point. Al-Farouq Aminu looks promising, but I can't find much on the guy.

What do you guys think? I don't mind if the Kings take Johnson and make some deals with our current forwards...even Casspi.
Care to elaborate on this? To me, Cousin's game is tailor-made for the NBA.

On Johnson, he is a good player, can shoot and is a very good athlete. However, he is 23 and we already have two young promising SFs. This draft is deep in big men and we need to take advantage of that.

He's Donte Greene, Part II. I just don't see what he adds that the Kings don't already have.

I say, with #5 go for the best available. You can always make some kind of trade to fill your need later.
Johnson is much better player then Cousins. Greene and Casspi will alweys get you Cousins.
Cousins is Darko! An overrated big with attitude problems. Pass!

Care to elaborate on this? To me, Cousin's game is tailor-made for the NBA.

On Johnson, he is a good player, can shoot and is a very good athlete. However, he is 23 and we already have two young promising SFs. This draft is deep in big men and we need to take advantage of that.
Agreed that we should take advantage of the big men, but I don't see any big impact players. Watching Cousin's play to me is like watch a Center version of Zach Randolph. He's big, crafty, and has good touch around the rim, but doesn't really have the explosiveness around the rim that I think he would need against a Dwight Howard or Brook Lopez.

If I'm wrong and we draft Cousins, then I'll have his back 100% because he's a King, but I just don't think he's the best big guy out there. By all means Cousins, prove me wrong please.

I say, with #5 go for the best available. You can always make some kind of trade to fill your need later.
Johnson is much better player then Cousins. Greene and Casspi will alweys get you Cousins.
Cousins is Darko! An overrated big with attitude problems. Pass!
That's another thing...ATTITUDE!

Also, if we ever had a hope for an Evan Turner, I think Johnson is a good alternative.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

I've watched a ton of Aminu, probably more than any other player in the draft. He's very interesting and to be honest he's probably the "sexiest" prospect in this draft. Not looks wise of course, :cool: but he's got some serious size, length, and a feel for the game that very few players have. The problem with him is I don't see a pure SF but more of an undersized PF. Apparently he's working on his jumper and if he can get that down he'll be just fine but while he has all the tools, he just hasn't put it together yet. I'd rather have Johnson myself even though I think Aminu has a much higher ceiling.

Basically the Kings aren't good enough to pass on the best player available. There's very good reason to believe that if Favors doesn't fall to #5, then Wesley Johnson will be the BPA at #5 (even if Cousins is available).

You don't pass up on a good player just because someone else fits a need. Again, I really think Cousins is over-rated and will end up being out played at the NBA level due to his work ethic, attitude, and lack of athleticism (compared to others).

As of right now, my votes go to:

1) Johnson
2) Aminu
3) Udoh/Cousins/Whiteside

I don't really see why Johnson can't play the 2. He's athletic enough to guard shooting guards, he's a very strong passer, is a good shooter and finisher and an ok ballhandler. I know we all beleived Tyreke needed a quasi pg next to him at the beginning of last year, but after seeing his assist totals rise at the end of last year, and watching the open looks our 2/3s get with defenses collapsing on Tyreke I don't see a huge drawback to playing Johnson at the 2. I don't think we need our 2 guard to create off the dribble. I think we need a 2 guard who can be a lockdown defender, a great shooter, and a solid passer. check, check and check for johnson.

Aldrich.. Best big prospect available after Cousins, and Favors.

Watching Syracuse this year I didn't see much that blew me away.. I actually had to focus on his number when watching him or I would lose track of him. He's not a play maker. He is a solid SF prospect though, but nothing that will blow you away. Youtube highlights are just that.. Highlights. If you watched him all season you might have the same mindset I do. I am sure he will make a fine NBA player, but I believe there are players in that 5-13 grouping that will be better for the Kings.

If we end up drafting an experienced college player I would rather take a chance on Aldrich, or Patterson. They seem more down our alley, and they are ranked about the same (prospect wise) plus we fill a need.

Here are my ranks if the "big 4" are gone.

1. Aldrich
2. Patterson
3. Johnson
4. Udoh
5. Monroe

I don't really see why Johnson can't play the 2. He's athletic enough to guard shooting guards, he's a very strong passer, is a good shooter and finisher and an ok ballhandler. I know we all beleived Tyreke needed a quasi pg next to him at the beginning of last year, but after seeing his assist totals rise at the end of last year, and watching the open looks our 2/3s get with defenses collapsing on Tyreke I don't see a huge drawback to playing Johnson at the 2. I don't think we need our 2 guard to create off the dribble. I think we need a 2 guard who can be a lockdown defender, a great shooter, and a solid passer. check, check and check for johnson.
Reminds me a bit of Doug Christie. Remember those days? :D

I just love how the Kings were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA and all anyone can talk about is offense. We have a glaring need for a bigman, yet tons of fans are enamored with perimeter players. I need to take a break lol

I just love how the Kings were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA and all anyone can talk about is offense. We have a glaring need for a bigman, yet tons of fans are enamored with perimeter players. I need to take a break lol
LOL yeah and each game they'll be screaming play some D guys!

But the thing is, would you rather have a top notch SG/SF, the SG being a position of need, or MAYBE a good big man.Now I'm not saying a Johnson or Aminu is a sure thing ... But I believe they are alot easier to Judge than Big Men. But for that very reason you may get a gem in a big man around where we are at.

Johnson has the potential to be one of the best players to come out of this class, so if Wall, Turner, Favors and Cousins are all gone, I think we have to pick him at 5. I wouldn't be surprised to see Petrie reach for a player like Udoh or someone though, like he did with Thompson

But the thing is, would you rather have a top notch SG/SF, the SG being a position of need, or MAYBE a good big man.Now I'm not saying a Johnson or Aminu is a sure thing ... But I believe they are alot easier to Judge than Big Men. But for that very reason you may get a gem in a big man around where we are at.
To me, Johnson is alot closer to a maybe player than a top notch player. Im going on vacation starting now.

To me, Johnson is alot closer to a maybe player than a top notch player. Im going on vacation starting now.
And there in lie the problem of evaluating talent. Who knows what the other person thinks, but I personally feel as if Johnson will be looked at as a top player from this draft class in a couple of years.

Johnson Senior at Syracuse (transfered to Syracuse for senior year)

35 min 16.5 pts 8.5 reb 2.2 assist 2.3 TO

Donte Greene at Syracuse (freshman year, He's 1 year younger than Johnson)

35.8 Min 17.7 pts 7.2 reb 2.0 assist 2.6 TO

Johnson Senior at Syracuse (transfered to Syracuse for senior year)

35 min 16.5 pts 8.5 reb 2.2 assist 2.3 TO

Donte Greene at Syracuse (freshman year, He's 1 year younger than Johnson)

35.8 Min 17.7 pts 7.2 reb 2.0 assist 2.6 TO
You left out their shooting percentages, which is unfair. Greene got those numbers taking a lot of shots on a bad Syracuse team. Johnson was also a far better defensive player and hurt for the final third of the season. Johnson clearly had the better season if you are making a direct comparison.

I think Johnson is going to be the bpa at #5. I'm high on Greene as well, so I'm not sue how I would feel if we went that direction.

I would love to see us trade down to #12 and get Thabeet. Not sure how realistic that is considering the drop off in talent at #5.

You left out their shooting percentages, which is unfair. Greene got those numbers taking a lot of shots on a bad Syracuse team. Johnson was also a far better defensive player and hurt for the final third of the season. Johnson clearly had the better season if you are making a direct comparison.

I think Johnson is going to be the bpa at #5. I'm high on Greene as well, so I'm not sue how I would feel if we went that direction.

I would love to see us trade down to #12 and get Thabeet. Not sure how realistic that is considering the drop off in talent at #5.
True, but my point is Donte would be going into his senior year this year.

Anyone that thinks Johnson is better than Cousins at this point is delusional. I know people are trying to rationalise taking yet another SF because his highlights show shooting and good athleticism, but he is not what we need. Cousins has the ability to be an elite level center in the NBA. Anyone that's questioning his atleticism etc. really hasn't watched him play. He's plenty athletic and mobile for a guy of his size and strength.

No to Johnson. Good player but not what we need. If Favors and Cousins are gone then a guy like Aldrich would fit perfect. Big, tough, rebounds and play defense. Does the little things. Of course he won't be popular with the masses because he's big and white and not particularly athletic. But he will be a fine center and his type of game actually suits this team (toughness).

If somehow Johnson is there at #5. I think we should take him. I believe he did not get the nick "Sniper" for dunking alone. If the kid got range, then he is a a good complement to Tyreke's game.

We can have a lineup of :
Evans 6'6" (PG)
Johnson 6'8" (SG)
Donte 6'10"(SF)

And that surely screams mismatch against all NBA team. Johnson will improve his handles just like how Evans evolved throughout the season. I think that's his primary problem if he plays SG.

Now I'm not too worried anymore. I believe this is now 5 player draft. Wall, Turner, Cousins, Favors, or Johnson. Any of these kids will help the Kings. :cool:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If were discussing whether to take Johnson or Cousins, should we have the choice, its an absolute no brainer. You take Cousins. First were arguing over who we should take between Favors and Cousins. And thats a legit discussion. But thats where it ends folks. Were talking about a 6'11" 280 pound center that dominated in college this year. And your actually considering taking a 6'7", 210 pound SF, when we already have three SF's on the team. What kind of drugs are you guys on?

If Cousins slides down to us, you don't even bat an eye. You grab him and head for home laughing all the way..

I think Johnson can play SG. He may not have great handles, but does he really need to? Evans is going to handling the ball the majority of the time anyway, Johnson just needs to move off the ball, finish, and hit jumpers. He can dribble well enough to create enough separation to get off shots. He has great potential as a shooter, both off the dribble and off the catch. He could end up being the ideal complimentary player for a ball dominant guard like Evans. Maybe even down the road he'll be able develop his ball handling to the point where he can become a good shot creator like Granger did.

Last edited: