Welcome Vince Carter

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
one final note on Vince, last I heard from him was earlier today, he was broadcasting the summer league game with Rick Kamla. Pistons vs Mavericks down in Orlando.

Just don't get it. There goes a chunk of minutes from Bogdan, Malachi, Temple, Jackson or whoever else. I really don't want to watch a bunch of old washed up guys take away valuable playing time from the younger players. People are taking this whole mentor thing way too far. It's not necessary to have a mentor taking up 25min a night at each and every position. We already have enough on the team. I don't want to watch that crap all year.

Just don't get it. There goes a chunk of minutes from Bogdan, Malachi, Temple, Jackson or whoever else. I really don't want to watch a bunch of old washed up guys take away valuable playing time from the younger players. People are taking this whole mentor thing way too far. It's not necessary to have a mentor taking up 25min a night at each and every position. We already have enough on the team. I don't want to watch that crap all year.
You really don't get it, see the post I quoted above from funkykingston. It's all about developing these guys, think about the practices and the locker room.

Hill Fox Mason
Hield Temple (Malachi)
Carter Bog Jackson
Zbo Skal (Giles)
WCS Koufos (Papa)

Malaki and Jackson alternate in the G league.

Although they won't get PT right away, Mason, Malachi/Jackson, and Papa/Giles are each one injury away from getting into the rotation. And all these vet signings aren't exactly young ironmen.

This depth is good, versus being one injury away from a kid being forced into 30+minutes.

I'm fine with this as long as he doesn't play more than 10mins/game. VC is washed up now, and I can't say he'd be better than a player like Malachi Richardson or Justin Jackson. His numbers with Memphis aren't pretty.

Well, Temple is 31 so I don't see why Carter potentially taking some of his minutes is a big deal, but I see what you're getting at.

But if Jackson, Richardson and Bogdanovic can't beat out 40 year old Vince Carter for minutes then it gives them something to shoot for. Motivation to work hard in practice. To work hard in the weight room. To put up extra shots before games. To get better each day.

Having mentors for young guys is huge. It's guys showing them how to navigate the NBA life, how to avoid pitfalls they fell into, how to break down film, how to communicate on defense, how to bring effort every game, the type of work ethic necessary to keep you in the league for a long career, proper nutrition - in short, how to be a pro.

And on the court it forces them to grow.

When young guys are just given PT right off the bat there's no mechanism to correct bad habits and force them to play the right way other than the coaching staff getting on them and that only goes so far. But having a veteran in front of them, or coming off the bench behind them forces them to adapt. To play the right way if they want to earn minutes. And it makes them hungry for those minutes.

We saw it last year with Malachi. Coming up from Reno and actually getting to play NBA minutes, you could see it meant something to him. He worked hard for the opportunity. And while I'm sure he would have liked to have gotten 25 mpg and played all year, if you asked him I bet he'd say it made him a better player and made him want to work harder moving forward.

You really don't get it, see the post I quoted above from funkykingston. It's all about developing these guys, think about the practices and the locker room.
That's all fine and dandy but we're going to have to sit through a full year of watching washed up vets play half the minutes. We already had temple who could have filled that role just fine while allowing the younger guys to still get their minutes. Pointless signing that's just going to make for boring basketball and less real world development. These guys don't need their own personal coach for each and every position. What's next, a veteran SG so Hield can learn the ropes?

That's all fine and dandy but we're going to have to sit through a full year of watching washed up vets play half the minutes. We already had temple who could have filled that role just fine while allowing the younger guys to still get their minutes. Pointless signing that's just going to make for boring basketball and less real world development. These guys don't need their own personal coach for each and every position. What's next, a veteran SG so Hield can learn the ropes?
That parts in the eye of the beholder I guess... Personally, I'm super excited for this season. Hill, zbo, and Vince are all guys that play the game right. That's a style of basketball I like to watch. Throw in the youth and it's going to be crazy entertainment.

Well, Temple is 31 so I don't see why Carter potentially taking some of his minutes is a big deal, but I see what you're getting at.

But if Jackson, Richardson and Bogdanovic can't beat out 40 year old Vince Carter for minutes then it gives them something to shoot for. Motivation to work hard in practice. To work hard in the weight room. To put up extra shots before games. To get better each day.

Having mentors for young guys is huge. It's guys showing them how to navigate the NBA life, how to avoid pitfalls they fell into, how to break down film, how to communicate on defense, how to bring effort every game, the type of work ethic necessary to keep you in the league for a long career, proper nutrition - in short, how to be a pro.

And on the court it forces them to grow.

When young guys are just given PT right off the bat there's no mechanism to correct bad habits and force them to play the right way other than the coaching staff getting on them and that only goes so far. But having a veteran in front of them, or coming off the bench behind them forces them to adapt. To play the right way if they want to earn minutes. And it makes them hungry for those minutes.

We saw it last year with Malachi. Coming up from Reno and actually getting to play NBA minutes, you could see it meant something to him. He worked hard for the opportunity. And while I'm sure he would have liked to have gotten 25 mpg and played all year, if you asked him I bet he'd say it made him a better player and made him want to work harder moving forward.
I'm thinking more along the lines that Temple is going to get his minutes too so it's going to come at the cost of Malachi or someone else. I get the need for vets but we know how Joerger loves playing them so its probably going to take a while to see these guys get minutes even after they've earned it. Should have just rolled with Temple as the starter and whoever earns the backup minutes gets to play.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Already got him. GT has been here since last year