Welcome Davion Mitchell

I did no work on Mitchell since I didn't think there was any chance we'd take him, but deep diving the last few days has made me WAY more excited about him on the team. I don't have any qualms about the player/prospect anymore. Dude's work ethic seems unmatched and I'm more inclined to believe his big senior jump wasn't a fluke, but moreso a product of the immense amount of time and effort he put into his game.

The big key for me is to prove he can be an elite C&S spacer and that his senior season wasn't a fluke. That will elevate this pick status into a different tier. An elite defending combo guard that can space and provide secondary ball-handling/creation is a rare commodity in the NBA.

We
I did no work on Mitchell since I didn't think there was any chance we'd take him, but deep diving the last few days has made me WAY more excited about him on the team. I don't have any qualms about the player/prospect anymore. Dude's work ethic seems unmatched and I'm more inclined to believe his big senior jump wasn't a fluke, but moreso a product of the immense amount of time and effort he put into his game.

The big key for me is to prove he can be an elite C&S spacer and that his senior season wasn't a fluke. That will elevate this pick status into a different tier. An elite defending combo guard that can space and provide secondary ball-handling/creation is a rare commodity in the NBA.
yah we need a culture changer. I’ve been saying we need self motivated players because we ain’t gonna develop anybody here. The dude literally already put in a workout at the arena. Nobody has done that here. Maybe he won’t be a superstar but I’m hoping he pushes players to work harder at the worst

Oof. This better work out folks.
i think the fact that Fox’s father is panicking about his kid maybe losing his starting role or losing PT to a rookie shows that he knows his son isn’t as hungry, has the work ethic, or the dog mentality as Mitchell. I hope he pushes Fox to do more

gunks

Hall of Famer
i think the fact that Fox’s father is panicking about his kid maybe losing his starting role or losing PT to a rookie shows that he knows his son isn’t as hungry, has the work ethic, or the dog mentality as Mitchell. I hope he pushes Fox to do more
Or he’s just worried about fit, like a lot of people here, and wants the TEAM to succeed.

Fox has improved tremendously every season. I don’t think we need to worry about his work ethic.

Fox is still pretty garbage on defense though, I’ll give you that, so I’m pumped to see if DM can light a fire under his butt on that end.

I'm not trying to look through purple colored lens here and say this was my pick and that drafting a 1/2 when that is the one position we have on lock makes the most sense so me. I don't think the suggestion that he could play 3/4 is remotely one anyone should take seriously though the comment that he can defend those spots may be taken more directly to mean that he can cover when our 3/4 blows their assignment or we have to make a switch.

I was firmly in the trade the pick because we probably aren't going to solve our problems with #9 camp. If we kept it, Wagner was my guy. And I think that he'd have been there had Toronto stuck to the script and picked Suggs.

All that said, all the traditional KANGZ narratives don't apply here. This is a Monte pick all the way, so that rules out the shadow GM theories. (note: does not rule out Monte sucks, but assumes facts not in evidence). Drafting need/fit over BPA? Well, we know that they had to have him as BPA because they certainly didn't draft for need or fit. Picking the guy that lobbied to be picked, well no, we didn't do that either. No cohesive strategy? Well, clearly defense first is that strategy.

It's certainly unconventional, but for those reasons above, color me intrigued.
Also, I like our 2nd round pick.
I don't know, I'm starting to wonder if Dumars is trying to go all out to create another bad boys defense first, mean, team. With a major grit to it. Davis via trade, Tristan is a little temperamental.

That doesn't remotely describe Fox. At all. Ever. I think it's seeing a franchise that has a history of position stacking and then clearing the slates more often that not at some point when it's turned into a **** show. Also he saw what they did to Bagley. Right or wrong, they put role players and FA signings above him time and again. Also, lets not forget Fox's start. Day 1, sign George Hill, "it'll work!" While some of us were like, "No." Turns out it didn't work and potentially pushed off Fox's production years by them routinely signing PG's to put Fox at SG. This last year was really the first time he got that PG spot to himself without much in the way and he took off to the moon. It's not a coincidence.

Also he saw what they did to Bagley. Right or wrong, they put role players and FA signings above him time and again.
That is a hindsight take. Let's not forget they fired Joerger for not playing Bagley as much as they'd like, especially after they had made trades to get Bagley a clear spot in the starting lineup. They followed that up by signing a guy that they thought would be the perfect compliment to Bagley only to have him forget how to play basketball the day after he signed his deal. Then Bagley got hurt in the first game of the season, coupled with Dedmon being a spectacular bust it gave Holmes the opportunity to shine.

Incidentally Holmes was signed as the last resort guy, which is why he got the deal he did and we now have issues retaining him.

That is a hindsight take. Let's not forget they fired Joerger for not playing Bagley as much as they'd like, especially after they had made trades to get Bagley a clear spot in the starting lineup. They followed that up by signing a guy that they thought would be the perfect compliment to Bagley only to have him forget how to play basketball the day after he signed his deal. Then Bagley got hurt in the first game of the season, coupled with Dedmon being a spectacular bust it gave Holmes the opportunity to shine.

Incidentally Holmes was signed as the last resort guy, which is why he got the deal he did and we now have issues retaining him.
It's a take a few of us have repeatedly made "ad nauseam" this whole time so him seeing that isn't unbelievable. And I think Joerger plain wore out his welcome from the sound of it. I'm sure there are plenty of threads over the last few years stating it. Bagley needed that center spot to produce. Once he did, if he's not the guy, flip him. Been saying that for what seems like forever now. And Dedmon was another partial result of misuse. At what point does it need to be concrete fact that it's the franchise and probably not always the player? George Hill just plain sucked. Yeah, until he left. Dedmon somewhat revived in Miami.

So, you're telling me they pushed a last resort guy over the one they paid big bucks for and their number 2 pick? Exactly the point. You have to plan for all of this. They did so to try and win, I get that, but they better understand that THEY FAILED if that was the plan. Period. No sugar coating it. Now that's not to say the Kings shouldn't be a playoff contender this season. I thought they should have last season with the talent they have.

That doesn't remotely describe Fox. At all. Ever. I think it's seeing a franchise that has a history of position stacking and then clearing the slates more often that not at some point when it's turned into a **** show. Also he saw what they did to Bagley. Right or wrong, they put role players and FA signings above him time and again. Also, lets not forget Fox's start. Day 1, sign George Hill, "it'll work!" While some of us were like, "No." Turns out it didn't work and potentially pushed off Fox's production years by them routinely signing PG's to put Fox at SG. This last year was really the first time he got that PG spot to himself without much in the way and he took off to the moon. It's not a coincidence.
Ill admit I was stirring the pot a little bit to hear other POVs but at the same time I think there is at least some merit to it. Fox lacks leadership to be a culture changer but is a really good player IMO(except playing defense). I think Davion and Ty will be taking over the leadership and culture change part either this year or next. Just to add, Fox is my second favorite player after Ty on the team. Before Ty though it was Fox.

Fox is dope. He is not a vocal leader - and Jerry Reynolds said he needs to be more of a “crapbird”. But everybody can’t be everything. And he’s still young.

But yeah - I think Tyrese and Davion and maybe TT will be the vocal leaders/tone setters of the team.

Fox might still be the killer that ends the game on offense.

Fox is dope. He is not a vocal leader - and Jerry Reynolds said he needs to be more of a “crapbird”. But everybody can’t be everything. And he’s still young.

But yeah - I think Tyrese and Davion and maybe TT will be the vocal leaders/tone setters of the team.

Fox might still be the killer that ends the game on offense.
Fox is easily the best player on the team but yeah he needs a fire to be lit on his ass cause he’s not doing it to himself enough from what I can tell

1. No Buddy at the end of games = Kings save 2 to 8 points in turnovers, matador defense, and Buddy does Buddy things.
2. If rebounding (and shot altering) really is an issue, which I agree with, don’t be surprised if the Kings sign Drummond. They would essentially copy what the Lakers and Mavs have done in recent years, jam the interior with 7 footers (AD, Gasol, McGee and KP, Boban, Powell).

Davion Mitchell seems like another Mitchell...Donovan. I saw in a recent interview that he has studied Donovan's game (along with Lillard and Paul) and has tried to incorporate their moves/game into his repertoire. He has wisely identified other "undersized" guards that have found tremendous success in the league. As far as the fit, more and more teams go with a three guard offense Look how well Mitchell/Conley/Clarkson worked out.

I suspect McNair wanted a forward. If Barnes /Kuminga/Wagner were there he may well have selected them. Not sure about Giddy, but McNair may have taken him as well. At 9, as I see it, the choice was between Mitchell and Moody. In my view he went with the better player.

This all comes back to the Kings winning meaningless games last year in a failed and ignorant attempt to sneak into the playoffs. Had they lost games like they should have we would be debating whether McNair should have taken Barnes or Kuminga. Now onto free agency.