Welcome Davion Mitchell

I could be and I could definitely be swayed if anyone was able to provide me with examples of good 3 point shooting guards that shoot free throws as poorly as Mitchell. It's difficult to find NBA rotational guards that shoot that low at the line in general. Picking good 3 point shooters out of that short list is going to be a task..
From this past year:

Kent Bazemore - 41% from 3, 69% from FTLine
Mychal Mulder - 40% from 3, 64% from FTLine
Andrew Wiggins - 38% from 3, 71% from FTLine (not a guard)
Donte DiVincenzo - 38% from 3, 72% from FTLine
Furkan Korkmaz - 38% from 3, 73% from FTLine
Christian Wood - 37% from 3, 63% from FTLine (not a guard)

I'll stop there, though it's also worth noting that there're quite a few excellent free-throw-shooting guards who're mediocre-at-best 3-pt shooters: DeRozan, Jordan Clarkson, Beal, Young, Terrence Ross, Ricky Rubio, Booker, Jimmy Butler, Shroder....

In re guards, as you say, not many guards shoot FTs as poorly as Mitchell does. I'll be surprised if he doesn't kick his FT% at least up to the mid-70's.

In related news, I'm somewhat concerned about the number of rotational Kings players who are mediocre FT shooters - Fox, Bags (for now), Jones, Metu, and now Mitchell and Thompson.

Last edited:
From this past year:

I'll stop there, though it's also worth noting that there're quite a few excellent free-throw-shooting guards who're mediocre-at-best 3-pt shooters: DeRozan, Jordan Clarkson, Beal, Young, Terrence Ross, Ricky Rubio, Booker, Jimmy Butler, Shroder....

In re guards, as you say, not many guards shoot FTs as poorly as Mitchell does. I'll be surprised if he doesn't kick his FT% at least up to the mid-70's.

In related news, I'm mildly concerned about the number of rotational Kings players who are mediocre FT shooters - Fox, Bags (for now), Jones, Metu, and now Mitchell and Thompson.
Good stuff. Looks like it can be done although it's rare enough to where I personally wouldn't take a gamble on it. Not impossible but it's still a risky thing to bet on. Wouldn't be as much of a big deal if we had no PG but it's concerning knowing we have a PG who struggles with his shot as well.

I agree with your last point, which is why I was a pretty big fan of Moody. Helped fill a need, could play defense, could get to the line and could shoot from the line at a good clip.

From this past year:

In related news, I'm mildly concerned about the number of rotational Kings players who are mediocre FT shooters - Fox, Bags (for now), Jones, Metu, and now Mitchell and Thompson.
Yeah Davions shot actually looks really good from deep. I would be stunned if it doesn't translate.

In the articles and interviews I’ve read on Davion, he’s been studying Donovan Mitchell and Lillard and CP, but he spent a lot of time mastering what Don Mitchell does with his feet and the shiftiness. The hesitation dribble is fairly lethal.
I like that Davion is studying these cerebral guards that spent a year or two extra in college.

A lot of these guys like Lillard, Donovan Mitchell, CP3, Curry, Haliburton all slipped in the draft due to their perceived lack of "upside" because they weren't freshmen coming into the draft. Well, screw "upside" if you can get a bonafide stud in the draft, no matter what year they were in college coming out.

Last edited:
Look at Fox's reply though.

If Bagley could be like that he might have a future in this league.

also wonder if Papa Fox deleted his tweet because DFox shut it down.
Dude, lets not pretend that this whole thing hasn't gotten off to a glowing KANGZ level start, haha. From Davions aloof demeanor after being drafted to this. Not the end of it all by any means but kind of funny, lol. And I'm talking about if those doubts come to fruition. As they have tended to over time for this franchise. Like with Bagley. As much of a whining tone as it has become, those comments still had some basis. As long as Mitchell can play those 3-4 spots this will be just fine, bank on it.

Dude, lets not pretend that this whole thing hasn't gotten off to a glowing KANGZ level start, haha. From Davions aloof demeanor after being drafted to this. Not the end of it all by any means but kind of funny, lol. And I'm talking about if those doubts come to fruition. As they have tended to over time for this franchise. Like with Bagley. As much of a whining tone as it has become, those comments still had some basis. As long as Mitchell can play those 3-4 spots this will be just fine, bank on it.
I'm not trying to look through purple colored lens here and say this was my pick and that drafting a 1/2 when that is the one position we have on lock makes the most sense so me. I don't think the suggestion that he could play 3/4 is remotely one anyone should take seriously though the comment that he can defend those spots may be taken more directly to mean that he can cover when our 3/4 blows their assignment or we have to make a switch.

I was firmly in the trade the pick because we probably aren't going to solve our problems with #9 camp. If we kept it, Wagner was my guy. And I think that he'd have been there had Toronto stuck to the script and picked Suggs.

All that said, all the traditional KANGZ narratives don't apply here. This is a Monte pick all the way, so that rules out the shadow GM theories. (note: does not rule out Monte sucks, but assumes facts not in evidence). Drafting need/fit over BPA? Well, we know that they had to have him as BPA because they certainly didn't draft for need or fit. Picking the guy that lobbied to be picked, well no, we didn't do that either. No cohesive strategy? Well, clearly defense first is that strategy.

It's certainly unconventional, but for those reasons above, color me intrigued.
Also, I like our 2nd round pick.

Mitchell is going to be pushing the sh*t outta Fox and Hali. That’s a good problem to have.

His son is about to begin his first year on a max money extension and he is concerned about our #9 pick taking something from his son? Toxic little league dads got nothing on NBA parents on twitter I guess.
Reason #4823 why social media in sports is a bad thing. The fact that what someone says or likes or dislikes becomes mainstream gossip and is made into a much, much bigger deal than it usually is. Even from these celebs parent and family members.

Unbelievably ridiculous.

The college 3 isn't the NBA 3, and the defenders DM faced at Baylor aren't the ones he'll face with Sacramento. It's pretty unlikely that he'll shoot 45% from 3 in his rookie year..
This is faulty reasoning. First off, you can list a ton of marginal to good players in college that became more effective in the NBA. Furthermore you can make the same argument about Euro players and how the style they play and the overall talent isn’t the same either. But none of that prevents anyone from being as successful or even more successful in the NBA.

It’s not going out on a limb to predict that a rookie won’t shoot 45% from 3. Not many players do that regardless of tenure. What’s nonsense is citing the differences in the 3 point line and defenders in college vs. NBA. None of it has to mean a thing.

Last edited:
From this past year:

Thank you for doing this research. Makes me feel a lot better