Welcome Davion Mitchell

Yeah it’s going to be an interesting camp. Fox perceives himself as the “head of the snake”. Generally two headed snakes don’t function well. Hali came in with a very different mindset of complementing Fox. I don’t think Hali would ever have made that statement coming in to his rookie camp.

btw, I love Mitchell as a player but I’m not sure how well this overlap is going to go. Really think that Fox for Simmons trade is the way to go.
I'm pretty sure Davion is going to play sidekick to Fox anytime they're on offense. Davion knows that Fox is on a whole other offensive level to him. I think he's mostly talking about being the head of the snake on defense and/or the SL team.

Sounds like you're just trying to justify a Fox for Simmons trade lol. No doubt the defense would get better but now you'd have either Hield or Barnes as your #1 offensive option and that has disaster written all over it.

He was really good in the playoffs and is still pretty young.
He's definitely young enough to improve. And, yes, he was great in the playoffs - over 4 games, w/shooting numbers *wildly* out of step with the near-league-worst numbers he posted over his 84 previous games. He also makes roughly $5 million/year and would cost something to get.

His physical measurables are awesome, by all accounts his defense is solid, and he's got the pedigree. Dunno that he's more worthy than Metu or King of getting those backup wing minutes tho.

I'm pretty sure Davion is going to play sidekick to Fox anytime they're on offense. Davion knows that Fox is on a whole other offensive level to him. I think he's mostly talking about being the head of the snake on defense and/or the SL team.

Sounds like you're just trying to justify a Fox for Simmons trade lol. No doubt the defense would get better but now you'd have either Hield or Barnes as your #1 offensive option and that has disaster written all over it.
Nah but seeing that comment did lead me to that conclusion. I suspect both Fox and Mitchell will spend more time with either Haliburton and/or Davis than with each other. But we shall see how the rotations play out.

I think Mitchell is going to relish being the Draymond of the Kings. He's not going to be the best player on the team (probably, but who knows what the ceiling for this kid actually is), but I think it's fair to say he's already going to be the most important. Not just from a defensive skill standpoint, but from a mentality/culture stand-point to get the Kings to take pride in playing defense.

That's honestly what we saw all summer long. It didn't really matter who was on the floor, everyone was working their tail off on D and actually competing on that end. After the first 5 minutes of the Celtics game, we swarmed them on every shot attempt the rest of the way. Pritch, Edwards and NeSmith were tearing everyone else in Vegas up and they got maybe like 4 clean looks between the 3 of them all game. Props to Bobby/Christie and the staff for getting these guys to play hard and play together on defense, but I think that all starts with the intensity Mitchell brings from the tip and the guys feed off that energy.

Mitchell has been a pleasant surprise for me. I didn't watch as much of him as I did other players, but still had him pretty high on my board. That being said, I would've taken Moody or Jalen Johnson (but wasn't upset with the pick).

What has surprised me the most is just how good Mitchell's defense has been. Seeing him guard college players in highlights (& a couple games) isn't the same as seeing him go against legitimate NBA talent in a NBA setting. He has been even better than I expected. It is always a given that rookies will struggle defensively no matter what. I am not convinced that will be the case with Mitchell. I look forward to watching him develop as a player.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Never been so proud of Kings twitter to bully that post into getting deleted and a "correction" within like 5 minutes.
The "correction" was like "we just sorted players by true shooting % and made a top 13" though?
Also from what I can tell they spammed the link 2-3 times so they just deleted the one CD put on blast.

It's embarrassing that they blew it so hard. You have to think that if he didn't share the tourney MVP they'd have glossed over. Looks like Haliburton didn't make their top 10 last year either.

Mitchell has been a pleasant surprise for me. I didn't watch as much of him as I did other players, but still had him pretty high on my board. That being said, I would've taken Moody or Jalen Johnson (but wasn't upset with the pick).

What has surprised me the most is just how good Mitchell's defense has been. Seeing him guard college players in highlights (& a couple games) isn't the same as seeing him go against legitimate NBA talent in a NBA setting. He has been even better than I expected. It is always a given that rookies will struggle defensively no matter what. I am not convinced that will be the case with Mitchell. I look forward to watching him develop as a player.
after watching summer league. Moody wouldn’t have moved the needle for this team and Johnson is still a project. Mitchell is an immediate culture changer and an elite defensive player that we sorely needed

after watching summer league. Moody wouldn’t have moved the needle for this team and Johnson is still a project. Mitchell is an immediate culture changer and an elite defensive player that we sorely needed
We'll see how Johnson goes. Sounds like he had a spectacular summer league.

But Mitchell is the real deal. I knew he was an elite defensive player, as well as strong, quick, and studious. His individual playing style will transfer IF the refs don't intervene. What I wondered about even more, and still wonder about, is the "culture changer" part. The early returns about his impact on teammates is VERY positive. Still, how will it translate to the Big League team?

The GREAT news is that he won't be pulling that cart by himself, for all the personnel and coaching changes reasons we know well. And, of course, it's no mystery to anyone, including the team, where their big weakness lay last year.

And, moreover, suddenly the Kings have ASSETS w/which to make further improvements.

1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Hali/Davis
3- Harkless/Buddy
4- HB/Metu-or-Bags
5- Holmes/Len-or-Thompson

Compared to a year ago, I am quite happy w/that lineup and depth.

On paper, at least, this is a playoff team w/the mix of skills, defensive orientation, and general tough-mindedness to defy the "nice guy" mediocrity of its head coach.

Very much looking forward to this season.

Last edited:
We'll see how Johnson goes. Sounds like he has a spectacular summer league.

But Mitchell is the real deal. I knew he was an elite defensive player, as well as strong, quick, and studious. His individual playing style will transfer IF the refs don't intervene. What I wondered about even more, and still wonder about, is the "culture changer" part. The early returns about his impact on teammates is VERY positive. Still, how will it translate to the Big League team?

The GREAT news is that he won't be pulling that cart by himself, for all the personnel and coaching changes reasons we know well. And, of course, it's no mystery to anyone, including the team, where their big weakness lay last year.

And, moreover, suddenly the Kings have ASSETS w/which to make further improvements.

1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Hali/Davis
3- Harkless/Buddy
4- HB/Metu-or-Bags

On paper, at least, this is a playoff team w/the mix of skills, defensive orientation, and general tough-mindedness to defy the "nice guy" mediocrity of its head coach.

yah the Kings finally have some good problems instead of all bad problems

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The "correction" was like "we just sorted players by true shooting % and made a top 13" though?
Also from what I can tell they spammed the link 2-3 times so they just deleted the one CD put on blast.

It's embarrassing that they blew it so hard. You have to think that if he didn't share the tourney MVP they'd have glossed over. Looks like Haliburton didn't make their top 10 last year either.

Haliburton didn't make the top-ten list for an event that was cancelled?

Yeah it’s going to be an interesting camp. Fox perceives himself as the “head of the snake”. Generally two headed snakes don’t function well. Hali came in with a very different mindset of complementing Fox. I don’t think Hali would ever have made that statement coming in to his rookie camp.

btw, I love Mitchell as a player but I’m not sure how well this overlap is going to go. Really think that Fox for Simmons trade is the way to go.
We'll see, he wasn't really saying that though. I think he was speaking specifically in terms of his role on defense being an on ball defender as a PG. The defense starts there.

Yeah offensively, no way does Davion likely ever reach Fox's level. Even him trying at this point in his development is probably detrimental. Same with Haliburton since they are already both so developed. Being a better offensive Marcus Smart, even if smaller, will get Mitchell 90-100 mil at some point so just go with it lol.

They're 19/20 so for sure. But they as well showed the upside and with Johnson as a potential star player. Bad if not terrible team for him to go to though. Look at Toppin. Horrible scenario for someone that still apparently has terrific upside production wise. No minutes or don't fit the win now model.

The Kings' lineup now vs. a year ago.

NOW:
1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Hali/Davis
3- Harkless/Buddy
4- HB/Metu-or-Bags

THEN:
1- Fox/Joseph
2- Buddy/Hali
3- HB/GRobinson
4- Bags/Bjelica
5- Holmes/Whiteside

We'll see how Johnson goes. Sounds like he had a spectacular summer league.

1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Hali/Davis
3- Harkless/Buddy
4- HB/Metu-or-Bags

They should have been a PO team last year but coming in not really having sorted out your biggest weakness isn't typically very promising. I mean, Harkless as your starting SF likely ain't helping. I think they're going to continue to run the same starters as last year for sure. Fox/Buddy/Barnes/Bagley/Holmes and Mitchell/Haliburton as your co 6th men. They competed last year but I think the legit small ballers will continue to eat them alive.

The Kings' lineup now vs. a year ago.

NOW:
1- Fox/Mitchell
2- Hali/Davis
3- Harkless/Buddy
4- HB/Metu-or-Bags

THEN:
1- Fox/Joseph
2- Buddy/Hali
3- HB/GRobinson
4- Bags/Bjelica
5- Holmes/Whiteside
Don't be surprised when the starters are the same as last year.

They should have been a PO team last year but coming in not really having sorted out your biggest weakness isn't typically very promising. I mean, Harkless as your starting SF likely ain't helping. I think they're going to continue to run the same starters as last year for sure. Fox/Buddy/Barnes/Bagley/Holmes and Mitchell/Haliburton as your co 6th men. They competed last year but I think the legit small ballers will continue to eat them alive.
The starters and the death lineup were both actually pretty good. The problem became once we went with basically any other lineup, the team fell off a cliff production wise. Hopefully having some better defensive C depth if Holmes goes down and improved depth should help create a few better solid lineup combinations.

I disagree, the team played zero defense. We had zero intensity and got bullied easily. Also we got Walton :(

I think it is going to be hard to keep Davion out of the starting line up.

It's like in football, if you have a shut down cornerback like a "Deion Sanders" in his prime, you have to start him. When you have a player that can shut down the other teams best player, you have to use him. You want him on the starters like Lillard, Curry, CP3, Ja Morant, Trae Young, etc to neutralize their offense right from the get go. It would be a waste to bring him in the game after the other team has built a lead and he's defending the bench players.

Last edited:

It's like in football, if you have a shut down cornerback like a "Deion Sanders" in his prime, you have to start him. When you have a player that can shut down the other teams best player, you have to use him. You want him on the starters like Lillard, Curry, CP3, Ja Morant, Trae Young, etc to neutralize their offense right from the get go. It would be a waste to bring him in the game after the team has built a lead and he's defending the bench players.
yeah we’ve gotta set the tone in the beginning of the game. Haliburton is gonna have to play 6th man, well damn, that is a pretty good first guard off the bench

It's like in football, if you have a shut down cornerback like a "Deion Sanders" in his prime, you have to start him. When you have a player that can shut down the other teams best player, you have to use him. You want him on the starters like Lillard, Curry, CP3, Ja Morant, Trae Young, etc to neutralize their offense right from the get go. It would be a waste to bring him in the game after the team has built a lead and he's defending the bench players.
I think the natural progression is once Davion gets acclimated, you start him from the tip and he immediately defends the best guard. Like you said, his best attribute is going to be his on-ball defense against elite guards and missing the 1st and 3rd quarter rotations against the starters doesn't make a whole lot of sense to maximize his skill-set. Hali as a natural playmaker/ball-handler fits rather nicely as the lead creator off the bench when Fox goes to the bench and then is in to close with the 3 guard lineup at the end of games and maybe the half too.

True, and Fox should be happy that he’ll only face Mitchell in practice.

Fox, Ty, and Off Night already working out together.
But but but…. The hand wringers, know it all’s, and “insiders” on this board read the tea leaves and declared that Fox had too big of an ego to coexist with Mitchell. Mitchell’s “head of the snake” comment and Fox not being in Vegas foretold impossible doom. Do you mean to tell me there are facts suggesting these three young guys might want to work and grow together and turn us into a winner? But what will that do to the board narrative…

But but but…. The hand wringers, know it all’s, and “insiders” on this board read the tea leaves and declared that Fox had too big of an ego to coexist with Mitchell. Mitchell’s “head of the snake” comment and Fox not being in Vegas foretold impossible doom. Do you mean to tell me there are facts suggesting these three young guys might want to work and grow together and turn us into a winner? But what will that do to the board narrative…
It’s 2021 man. Who cares about facts when you can FEEL ways about stuff? Get with it!