[WBB] Comments that don't warrant their own thread 2011-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I love watching Jonquel Jones go to work on the glass; I'd like to imagine, if the WNBA had existed in 1994, that's what a young Yo would have looked like.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Good for Notre Dame: coming into tonight, the last seven times UConn actually lost in the tournament, the team that beat them was 2-5 in their next game. Nice to see them close the deal.

I have nothing but contempt for Don Geno and his Huskies but, all things being equal, it's probably best for women's college basketball for UConn to get to the Final Four every year, and lose.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Legendary coach Anne Donovan passed away today, at 56 years old, of heart failure. Donovan coached the WNBA Charlotte Sting to the WNBA Finals in 2001, losing to the LA Sparks, and led the Seattle Storm to the WNBA Championship in 2004. She was the fourth head coach, and the first woman head coach to win a WNBA Championship.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Lindsay Whelan is currently holding a press conference on NBA TV, officially announcing that she will (as expected) be retiring at the end of the 2018 WNBA season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Last night, Courtney Vandersloot broke Ticha Penicheiro's record for most assists in a single season, with two games remaining in the regular season. And, the record is legit because, although Ticha set the record in a 32-game season, Vandersloot missed the first four games of the season, and broke the record in only 28 games.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Shout-out to Kara Lawson for correcting Pam Ward on air last night, during the Sparks/Mystics game:

Ward (paraphrased): [Connecticut Sun] have never won a WNBA championship... They've been to the Finals twice, and lost both times, including once to your Sacramento Kings...

Kara (under her breath): Monarchs.

Tell her, Kara! PUT SOME RESPECK ON Y'ALL'S NAME!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Watching the Mystics-Storm is a lot of fun. Kind of surprised, though. I would have thought their arena would be full for the WNBA finals. I could be mistaken but it looks like the upper half of Key Arena is closed off. I'd like to see Sue Bird win one more.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

From the recent ESPNW Summit... I wonder how often Sarah Spain is posing for a picture with four women, where she's only the third-tallest one?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
ESPN is airing (EDIT - just finished airing) an impromptu Women's Selection Special on ESPN2 two hours early, because the entire women's bracket got leaked online. That's a bad look.

Biggest takeaway is UConn is a #2 seed: first time they haven't been a #1 since 2006.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There are only two living coaches, not named Geno Auriemma, who have won multiple Division I Women's National Championships in the 21st century.

On Sunday, they'll each be coaching against the other, for a chance at their third. It will be the first time since 2012 that both of the head coaches in the Women's National Championship game are women; interestingly enough, that matchup also involved both these same coaches.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I tell you what: she hasn't been hitting down the stretch, but I wouldn't want to be the team that doesn't have Arike Ogunbawale, with the game on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.