[WNBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread - 2K9 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
bout time

I have always wondered why the WNBA hadn't allowed this up to this point. At least this was my understanding of it.

Maybe this is a sign of the times... I think every franchise should attempt something like this. I mean if you can get someone to put up between 500K-1M dollars, it is a tax write-off for them and it covers Pay-roll for the franchise. Well a good portion if it is at the Lower end.

While they are mulling over all these other things The W should sit down with Stern and try and find 3 suitable advertising locations on the Uni's so Teams can generate additional revenue.

My biggest question is what cut of this does the League office get. I mean if Donna and Stern will be part of the announcement I am betting it will be a pretty big cut.

It's very common in the Euroleagues, so I think it is inevitable it would happen in the WNBA.

I wonder if the Monarchs will get a sponsorship as well. And which company would be the most appropriate.

I think all of the sports are thinking about it more seriously than they had before. The new women's soccer league seems to be on board with it too.

If you think about it tho, they are already branding in some way anyway, the company having the shoe and uniform contracts have their brand all over everything. The McDonald's branded game last year seemed to definitely open the door.

I'm a little hesistant to buy into the idea that this should be done at the local level because I can see inequities between big market small market, depending on how this is all structured and what the buy-in cost is. I am more favorable to this being done at the league office level and each team splitting the cut equally and logo-ing equally and the season ticket benefit being distributed equally. Lifelock is a national product that would get national exposure or at least more exposure than the 17 times the Mercury visit some other arena. Why not give space to Starwood et al who signed as national partners?

I could see Stern being involved because if it works here? The NBA could be doing the same thing in a few years. His league is not exactly flush in money right now either.

Head coaching change at Minnesota

The Minnesota Lynx announced that head coach Don Zierden resigned to return to the NBA as an assistant coach under Flip Saunders, a role he has held in the past. Zierden resigned Tuesday, four days before the WNBA team's season opener. Zierden coached the Lynx the past two seasons.

Article:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/l...si8cyaiUHK:uUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

I'm watching the press conference from the Lynx website right now as I type this. Jennifer Gillom will be the new head coach of the Lynx.

Here is Gillom's bio:
http://www.wnba.com/coachfile/jennifer_gillom/index.html?nav=page

Well, at least the Lynx has a far better coach now. And she's committed to the women's game with a solid b-ball background.

Okeee, I find that just a tad bit odd. Even by weird WNBA standards where the Mystics perfected the art of bizarro coaching decision timing.

Very happy for Jen Gillom. Perhaps, with her being a head coach for a team, the league might remember she once was a star in it and perhaps mention her name more than once when it talks about its history, which of course presupposes it remembers it HAS a history worth remembering.

Here are some recent WNBA transactions, mainly roster cuts. A few former Monarchs players are mentioned.

http://www.wnba.com/transactions/WNBA_2009.html

June 3
* The Connecticut Sun claimed Kiesha Brown off waivers.
* The Atlanta Dream waived Ivory Latta.
* The Detroit Shock waived Kristen Rasmussen, Tiera DeLaHoussaye, Britany Miller and Sequoia Holmes.

June 2
* The Phoenix Mercury waived Yuko Oga.
* The Washington Mystics waived Eshaya Murphy.

June 1
* The Minnesota Lynx signed free agent Tye'sha Fluker.
* The Washington Mystics waived Kiesha Brown.
* The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Valeriya Berezhynska and Candyce Bingham.
* The Connecticut Sun waived Ketia Swanier and Ashley Hayes.

May 31
* The Seattle Storm waived La'Tangela Atkinson and Kasha Terry.
* The Atlanta Dream waived Chantelle Anderson.
* The Phoenix Mercury waived Murriel Page.
* The Chicago Sky waived Jennifer Risper.

May 30
* The Minnesota Lynx waived Kamesha Hairston and Aisha Mohammed.

May 29
* The Chicago Sky waived Liz Moeggenberg.
* The Atlanta Dream waived Marlies Gipson.
* The New York Liberty waived Abby Waner.

May 28
* The Detroit Shock signed free agent Barbara Farris.
* The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Amber Petillon.

May 27
* The Detroit Shock waived Tanae Davis-Cain.

May 26
* The San Antonio Silver Stars signed Joyce Ekworomadu to a training camp contract.

May 25
* The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Morenike Atunrase.
* The Chicago Sky waived Quianna Chaney and Danielle Gant.
* The Sacramento Monarchs waived Barbara Farris.

May 22
* The Seattle Storm waived Kimberly Beck and Mara Freshour.
* The Indiana Fever waived Doneeka Lewis and Sherill Baker.

May 18
* The Phoenix Mercury signed free agent Murriel Page.
* The Los Angeles Sparks waived Britney Jordan.
* The San Antonio Silver Stars signed Amber Petillon to a training camp contract.
* The Detroit Shock signed free agents Kristen Rasmussen and Sequoia Holmes to training camp contracts.

May 15
* The Atlanta Dream signed free agent Coco Miller.

May 13
* The Phoenix Mercury waived Jessica Adair.

May 12
* The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Sandora Irvin.
* The Atlanta Dream signed Marlies Gipson to a training camp contract.

May 11
* The Atlanta Dream waived Jessica Morrow.
* The Minnesota Lynx signed Kamesha Hairston and Aisha Mohammed to training camp contracts.
* The Washington Mystics signed free agent Kelly Schumacher and waived Coco Miller.
* The San Antonio Silver Stars signed free agent Katie Feenstra Mattera.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Interesting... I didn't want to interrupt Purple Reign's previews, but I meant to ask why he thought that Latta was going to get the starting nod over Teasley...

From what you saw of them last season which camp were you in Slim? "Teasley > Latta "or "Anybody Not Named Latta > Latta?" or "Anybody Not Named Latta or Haynie > Latta"

Meaddors didn't seem to me to ever make a clear choice, but Teasley's arrival was a sign.

With the roster cut deadline approaching in a few hours from now, here is the updated transactions list:

http://www.wnba.com/transactions/WNBA_2009.html
Posted Jun 5 2009 3:41PM

June 5
* The Los Angeles Sparks waived Jessica Moore.

* The Minnesota Lynx waived Tye'sha Fluker, Emily Fox and Anna DeForge.

* The Washington Mystics Bernice Mosby.

* The San Antonio Silver Stars waived Joyce Ekworomadu and Bernadette Ngoyisa.

* The Connecticut Sun waived Lyndra Littles, Danielle Page and Carrem Gay.

June 4
* The Chicago Sky waived Mistie Bass.

* The Seattle Storm waived A’Quonesia Franklin and Aja Parham.

* The Washington Mystics waived Kristen Mann and Kelly Schumacher.

* The Indiana Fever waived Tan White and Danielle Campbell.

* The Los Angeles Sparks waived Ashley Paris and Marta Fernandez.

* The Sacramento Monarchs waived Charel Allen, Whitney Boddie and Morgan Warburton.

* The New York Liberty waived Jessica Davenport and Lisa Willis.

The league announced that Detroit's Kara Braxton has been suspended for six games (starting with tomorrow's season opener against L.A.) after pleading guilty to a drunk-driving charge during the offseason.

She was previously suspended for two games in 2007, on a separate DUI arrest.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/wnba/2009-06-05-3785960569_x.htm

Braxton has to be on strike 57 right now, dating back to her college exploits...

Somehow I missed this, just saw it when I was looking up something on WNBA.com

Branded jersey number 2 - the Los Angeles + Farmers Insurance
http://www.wnba.com/news/sparks_famers_090605.html

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You know, on one hand, Yo Griffith has earned the right to play until she's ready to stop. On the other hand, it's depressing to see what she appears to have become.

Status
Not open for further replies.